Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm 

This was a gig I played with my band Durvasag a little while ago at The Comfort Zone in Toronto. Great place, and everything was mic'd up. That being said, we recorded some pre-gig sort of commentary (which we implemented into the videos) as well as the entire gig. Rate our live performance? What can be done better? What was done well? Etc. Thank you for your input.

To keep in touch with us and what we're doing:

http://www.facebook.com/durvasagband

Setlist:

Intro ("Black Magic" by Slayer)
Sacrifice
World Massacre Tour
Apocalypse
Redemption
I Turned Into A Martian (Misfits cover)
Death Squad (played as an instrumental)
Pure Fucking Thrash
Black Metal (Venom cover)
Encore ("Raining Blood" by Slayer)

Fun fact: Abominatrix showed up to our show, and you can see him headbanging during our first song "Sacrifice"

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnsNeAz ... ure=relmfu

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNzifV3 ... ure=relmfu

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxZ-O2P ... ure=relmfu

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kb0Rb0J ... ure=relmfu

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 pm 

Really? This place used to be awesome.

Bump.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:37 pm 

:lol: It's just a lot of time to invest mate Regardless, I liked what I saw. High energy, could've used a bit more movement, but for what it's worth (i.e the small crowd) you guys worked it well. The covers don't sound particularly out of place, and there's a good sense of chemistry between you all!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:37 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
What can be done better? What was done well?

Everything seems well-rehearsed and played well. Tight playing, sounds good.

What can be done better? Stage presence. The singer barely moves, and I've seen corpses with more stage presence than that guitarist. Thrash bands often do this thing called "thrashing" where they thrash around on stage. A lot of the fun of thrash shows is the band showing energy. It takes some time to get used to it, but a sloppy but energetic thrash band is better than a tight-playing band who doesn't move. Looks like a small stage, you can move around a lot without even moving your feet, the singer can be moving back and forth to the edge of the stage.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:10 am 

pretty much what Zod said.

also you can cut the commentary out of the videos. I don't get why bands that are not well known by any means think that everyone wants to hear them sound like tards before I see I video of them playing live? I don't know you and after watching that part I like you even less and will already be in a mindset that I won't like you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
pretty much what Zod said.

also you can cut the commentary out of the videos. I don't get why bands that are not well known by any means think that everyone wants to hear them sound like tards before I see I video of them playing live? I don't know you and after watching that part I like you even less and will already be in a mindset that I won't like you.

Yeah, this too. I wondered why there was more nonsense that wasn't music before the second video too. Keep the commentary and music separate, if you want to make a separate feature on it, do it, and if you want an intro to the first one, keep it as short as possible. If I'm checking out a band, I want to hear the music first.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:07 pm 

You're so ugly, Mark! But cool performance, George is a good guitarist.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm 

Please kill the intro. It is terrible.

As a man with no hair, I can say that it's much more difficult to head bang convincingly. The random waves of hair make for a much more energetic stage picture. So you short-hairs are gonna have to make up for it. As it is, It doesn't even really look like you guys enjoy playing, but when I closed my eyes, I was head banging right away. Do something. Your music's too good to kill it with a bad stage show. Throw your shoulders into it and wear better gear.

The venue's set up is another example of why I hate front light. It annihilates atmosphere. If it's going to be there at all, at least give the guys a chance and move it back a rafter or two.
+ put it on a simple dimmer so it at least can be tilted away from their stomachs.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:09 pm 

Hahaha, Antoine, t'aime-ca profonde :lol

And thanks for the responses everyone. I've taken your opinions into account and I'm gonna discuss it with the guys and whatnot. We definitely need to fix our stage performance. Especially our guitarist. He's really dead, looking at it now. I could use some practice as well, though (I'm the vocalist).

At the solo for Raining Blood, I jumped into the pit and moshed with the crowd, so I'm sure that made a lot of people's nights pretty awesome. I find it cool when the artists interact with the audience.

Also, how do I get people to remember my band easily at our shows? Flyers with contact information? promo CDs?

And thanks for the good words, GraveWyrm. Our bassist is the only member with moderately long hair, and strangely he's the only one who's been employed for the longest time (I just recently got a job). The guitarist finds it really frustrating to grow long hair as he is sort of impatient, and I plan to begin to grow it out after next week. How long has it taken the more long haired of you to grow it out?

tolivetody
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 am 

I didn't get a chance to watch your video yet, but to answer your question in regards to how to easily get people to remember your band, print up stickers with the band logo and website URL at the bottom. They're relatively inexpensive and not only do they act as your business card, they also act as a cool free promotional item for the kid to save, stick on their guitar case, etc.

I'd highly recommend Contagious Graphics for your stickers. They are moderately priced and the quality of the stickers are bar-none. Not only are they actually sticky, but they are made out of vinyl (instead of paper, like most) and will not fade for at least five years. I can confirm this, as I had one of their stickers on an old car of mine for over six years, and while it did fade slightly due to the sunlight, it never once peeled off in any way, shape, or form. The sticker actually outlasted the car itself, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still on there completely in-tact.

http://www.contagiousgraphics.com

Tell 'em MIDNITE HELLION referred you...we'll get some free stickers in return for spreading the word. :)

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm 

You're welcome! I wasn't saying you SHOULD grow long hair, necessarily. Just that if you don't have it, something has to be done to make up for that which long hair so easily accomplishes. :)

Reply to topic