Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 pm 

If you haven't heard it yet, Crush the Insects should be your next purchase. Probably my all-time favorite RevBiz album. Its a bit front-loaded with the "faster" songs but the whole thing is soooooooo good. Slave of Satan is the only song that even remotely drags, but its only about 12 minutes. Council of Ten might be my favorite song of theirs...so hard to decide.

I'm blasting So Long Suckers at work right now.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:38 pm 

Crush the Insects is great. The Devil Rides Out rocks and Doom Over The World is epic (though the attempts at high notes in parts from Albert are somewhat laughable)
I'm not fond of So Long Suckers. The songs are allright but every single one of them drags on for way too long.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:46 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
If you haven't heard it yet, Crush the Insects should be your next purchase. Probably my all-time favorite RevBiz album. Its a bit front-loaded with the "faster" songs but the whole thing is soooooooo good. Slave of Satan is the only song that even remotely drags, but its only about 12 minutes. Council of Ten might be my favorite song of theirs...so hard to decide.

I'm blasting So Long Suckers at work right now.

:love:

A quick word for Stake-Off the Witch, pretty good Italian doom/stoner. There's 2 girls in the lineup, that's very cool, the Acid King from Italy :) I'm thinking of reviewing them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfIaK6o4AUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM4hxdS3o-o

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:47 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
(though the attempts at high notes in parts from Albert are somewhat laughable)

Tsk tsk... His high notes are awesome, most of all in Blood on Satan's Claw. Although I remember him being worried about the babes laughing at him when he tried them out during a live performance in Stockholm ca 2005.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:38 am 

Tyrant's Kall has been added to the Archives today. Their genre is listed as Death/Doom/Heavy Metal, which sounded like a really interesting idea to me, so I decided to check them out. Turns out they're literally a crossover of death/doom metal and doom/heavy metal, and they're actually quite cool. Check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsWceFYVhPA

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:11 pm 

For the stoner fans here; have you listened to The Quill? I checked 'em out after remembering that their singer was part of the line up in Ayreon's The Human Equation, and I gotta say that they're pretty enjoyable. Groovy, fun, with great vocals and an awesomely fuzzy guitar tone. If you're into Soundgarden and similar stuff, I heartily recommend them.

qTp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:29 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
A quick word for Stake-Off the Witch, pretty good Italian doom/stoner. There's 2 girls in the lineup, that's very cool, the Acid King from Italy :) I'm thinking of reviewing them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfIaK6o4AUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM4hxdS3o-o

good!!

another italian gem:
Sesta Marconi - Where The Devil Dances (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGRbZHyiVI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFqxaR0b918
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkHvLEcZhiM

doom'n'roll FTW

Rivnat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:09 pm 

Hi guys.

I'm looking for a good Doom Metal or Gothic Metal band which plays with saxophones.

Can anyone recommend me one?

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:52 pm 

Don't know if I should be asking here or in the death metal thread, but this seems to fit better here

I'm looking for some doom that sounds in the style of Gorguts' Clouded

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:56 pm 

I would like to hear some melodic doom metal, more specifically music like the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYHke81Hds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jXv1mEp4o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tBBNKvkiM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSluNsL2vWU

I'd like to hear bands that basically play death/doom riffs, but without the harsh vocals.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:01 am 

Quote:
I would like to hear some melodic doom metal, more specifically music like the following

I'd like to hear bands that basically play death/doom riffs, but without the harsh vocals.

Akelei and Dawn of Solace and the latest album of Before The Rain.

Some songs in

Dreams of Poe
Rain Paint
Hanging Garden
Black Sun Aeon
Whispering Gallery

feature a clean male vox only.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:33 am 

Man, Corrupted are so monumentally heavy. Crazy Japanese people and their Spanish lyrics.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:48 pm 

Reviving my earlier request from about a page back that didn't get any responses. It fell behind pretty quickly due to another discussion going on at the time.

IX Leviathan wrote:
Greetings, was wondering if anyone could rec me something similar to mid 90's era Paradise Lost. Preferably clean vocals, dark atmosphere and melodies over chugging riffs, maybe some light synths or piano used in a similar fashion to that of songs like "Dying Freedom" or "Enchantment". I'm already aware of bands like My Dying Bride, Anathema, Katatonia, November's Doom, etc. Sorry if it's a bit of a broad request. Thanks in advance!
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:49 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Reviving my earlier request from about a page back that didn't get any responses. It fell behind pretty quickly due to another discussion going on at the time.

IX Leviathan wrote:
Greetings, was wondering if anyone could rec me something similar to mid 90's era Paradise Lost. Preferably clean vocals, dark atmosphere and melodies over chugging riffs, maybe some light synths or piano used in a similar fashion to that of songs like "Dying Freedom" or "Enchantment". I'm already aware of bands like My Dying Bride, Anathema, Katatonia, November's Doom, etc. Sorry if it's a bit of a broad request. Thanks in advance!

The Slow Death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJyNfuVtiKQ

You're welcome.

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:

IX Leviathan wrote:

40 Watt Sun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJcsDbj-qI

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:47 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The Slow Death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJyNfuVtiKQ

You're welcome.

Damn... that was fucking great. Thanks! I'll be sure to check out the rest of that album.

Orthodox Caveman wrote:

Eh, I know of them, and am personally not a fan.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:12 pm 

Rivnat wrote:
Hi guys.

I'm looking for a good Doom Metal or Gothic Metal band which plays with saxophones.

Can anyone recommend me one?

The only doom band that uses saxophones that I can think of is Camel of Doom. But I haven't listened to them too much so I don't know how much they use saxophone is in their music.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 am 

Here's a recommendation to all fans of Finnish doom. The Grand Black is the band's name. They seem to be pretty much unknown at the moment but the demo Earth is a really good one so check it out if you're into bands such as The Coven / Cardinals Folly, The Wandering Midget and Caskets Open.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:28 pm 

Been listening a lot of Temples - Periplaneta Nova lately. Good psychedelic stoner/doom.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:02 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Crush the Insects is great. The Devil Rides Out rocks and Doom Over The World is epic (though the attempts at high notes in parts from Albert are somewhat laughable)
I'm not fond of So Long Suckers. The songs are allright but every single one of them drags on for way too long.

RB do tend to drag at times, but my favorite song from them is also one of the longest - "Anywhere Out of this World" off SLS. Idk, something about that song just resonates with me, it's perfect.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:01 pm 

so i finally looked up thy light and mother of fuck i like this shit
anyone know of any other DSBM (or blackened doom) bands that use piano?

oops i meant to put this in the bm help thread xD
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:21 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
so i finally looked up thy light and mother of fuck i like this shit
anyone know of any other DSBM (or blackened doom) bands that use piano?

Totalselfhatred, An Autumn for Crippled Children, ColdWorld, and Tunes of Despair come to mind.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:00 am 

if anyone wants here is a free compilation of doom/sluge and drone

http://artascatharsis.bandcamp.com/albu ... -the-earth

not sure if this should be in here or the promo forum though

Ohtar_Elenion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:27 pm 

Hey guys, a couple of requests:

1.) I would like to get into modern doom, especially with harsh vocals. I have heard Paradise Lost´s Shadows of God and quite enjoyed it but I don´t really know where to turn next. Nothing is too obvious.

2.) I would also like to find out about some gothic/doom bands which would be similar to Within Temptation´s Enter or SSOGE minus the folk elements.

Thanks a lot.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 pm 

1- You should probably try stuff like Swallow The Sun, the more melodic death/doom bands and stuff like that. It should make for an easier entrance into the genre.

2- Here you could try early Tristania or Theatre Of Tragedy (first couple of albums), should be interesting for you.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:51 pm 

Ohtar_Elenion wrote:
2.) I would also like to find out about some gothic/doom bands which would be similar to Within Temptation´s Enter or SSOGE minus the folk elements.

Thanks a lot.

I suggest checking out The Passage Back to Life, Desperate Existence, and The Inheritance of Sin and Shame by Ashes You Leave. Those should match what you're looking for perfectly.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:33 am 

Could anyone recommend me some doom metal bands that are slow and heavy enough to remain crushing and sorrowful, yet have sections in their songs fast enough to keep things interesting? Stuff like this? Feel free to recommend glaringly obvious ones as well, because my knowledge of doom metal is... well... I have none. Thanks!

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 am 

sup my niggas? :D
if anyone has any cool (non weed themed) death/doom, stoner/doom, or stoner/sludge (or sabbath worship) bands I should look up that'd make me a very happy suffersystem.
I finally checked out Hooded Menace and they fuckin' slay! same with Asphyx (pfft I'm not late or anything)
stoner/sludge/doom/etc i like : EYEHATEGOD, Iron Monkey, Orchid, Earthride, Acid Bath, Church of Misery.
death/doom i like: Asphyx, Hooded Menace, Cianide, Wooden Stake, Baphomet, Druid Lord, Winter

thanks in advance :3
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:53 am 

Suffersystem wrote:
if anyone has any cool (non weed themed) death/doom, stoner/doom, or stoner/sludge (or sabbath worship) bands I should look up that'd make me a very happy suffersystem.
I finally checked out Hooded Menace and they fuckin' slay! same with Asphyx (pfft I'm not late or anything)
stoner/sludge/doom/etc i like : EYEHATEGOD, Iron Monkey, Orchid, Earthride, Acid Bath, Church of Misery.
death/doom i like: Asphyx, Hooded Menace, Cianide, Wooden Stake, Baphomet, Druid Lord, Winter

Shroud of the Heretic?

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:04 am 

Dave_o_rama wrote:
Suffersystem wrote:

Shroud of the Heretic?

hmmm.. nah I don't really like em

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:36 pm 

Dave_o_rama - Try My Dying Bride and Celestial Season.

Suffersystem - Try Acid King for some cool stoner and Delirium for death/doom.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:43 pm 

androdion wrote:
Dave_o_rama - Try My Dying Bride and Celestial Season.

Suffersystem - Try Acid King for some cool stoner and Delirium for death/doom.

acid king.. acid king.. OH i remember them :D I love the song "Teen Dusthead" but never got around to any other songs.
never heard delirium, ill look em up.

Ogerz001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:12 pm 

I recently found the band Norska.
I'm looking for more bands that have songs similar to their song "They Mostly Come at Night".

Also looking for some band that play in a similar style to DeZafra Ridge. Long dense (Heavy and Slow) song with harsh vocals.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:14 am 

Looking for something similar to early Isis (meaning anything from the first demo to the first album.) Basically really brutal sludge with experimental and atmospheric qualities. It would be cool if it had an occasional thrashy riff, like in Isis's "Hive Destruction." I am especially looking for similarities to their Mosquito Control EP.

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:50 am 

Suffersystem wrote:

Lord Of Doubt.

Ogerz001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:46 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:

Solothus Might fit the bill as a death/doom band (and you really can't go that wrong with free music).

TheSimeon88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:23 pm 

I'm looking for doom metal with excellent vocal harmonies similar to Alice in Chains.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:20 pm 

Dave_o_rama wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some doom metal bands that are slow and heavy enough to remain crushing and sorrowful, yet have sections in their songs fast enough to keep things interesting? Stuff like this? Feel free to recommend glaringly obvious ones as well, because my knowledge of doom metal is... well... I have none. Thanks!

You'll totally love Syrach - Days of Wrath. In particular the song "Come Daemons" was resounding in my head as I was reading your post, but unfortunatly it's not on youtube.

Also check Isole, excellent and varied epic doom.
http://youtu.be/vzXjfZTfeTU

I can imagine Slumber being to your liking, as well.
http://youtu.be/9VG_KkELmlE

Oh, I just realized that Visceral Evisceration is exactly what you're looking for, no doubts.
http://youtu.be/UnET30Jh-2U
http://youtu.be/VswMHZTku2s

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 am 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
Dave_o_rama wrote:

You'll totally love Syrach - Days of Wrath. In particular the song "Come Daemons" was resounding in my head as I was reading your post, but unfortunatly it's not on youtube.

Also check Isole, excellent and varied epic doom.
http://youtu.be/vzXjfZTfeTU

I can imagine Slumber being to your liking, as well.
http://youtu.be/9VG_KkELmlE

Oh, I just realized that Visceral Evisceration is exactly what you're looking for, no doubts.
http://youtu.be/UnET30Jh-2U
http://youtu.be/VswMHZTku2s

Syrach is my friend's band! Nice stuff/.

Sludgyfolks
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:44 pm 

OK, I've been spinning stuff like Wizard's Beard a lot, and I'm looking for that newcomer kind of stuff right now. Sludge, doom, stoner, give me whatever you have. I love Belzebong, Dopethrone, and all that fresh meat kind of stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 133  Next