Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:01 pm 

Finally got around to finishing the painting on the back of mine;

Attachment:
Jacket_3.jpg

I might either embellish or sew patches onto the bits which are plain-black or denim - I'm not certain yet, and I've only got two patches to add to the front in the immediate future.

soderstromm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:20 pm 

Ive been working for my vest for a while now, unfortunately i ran out of patches a while ago and havent gotten new ones yet. Thats why there is some empty space on the left side :) A Cynic patch is going on there, and a Agalloch one. But the rest, who knows :) The Deicide patch is getting replaced soon too, for two stripes with the text "Watain" and "To the Death".
A Pleasure To Kill backpatch might not be the most original choice, but c'mon. How cant you love that artwork, and the album too ofcourse? :)

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 pm 

Yeah, cool vest but I agree with you, the PtK backpatch is way too popular, you should choose a more original one, but that's your decision. I have the same Glen Benton for president patch :) and these 2 BT patches are awesome, good work.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 pm 

I really wanna make one of these jackets but ive looked tons of times for sites that sell stuff like these in the UK and havent found shit, what i'd really prefer is the leather jacket with denim over it

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:29 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Finally got around to finishing the painting on the back of mine;

Attachment:
Jacket_3.jpg

I might either embellish or sew patches onto the bits which are plain-black or denim - I'm not certain yet, and I've only got two patches to add to the front in the immediate future.

That looks awesome!

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:21 pm 

bullet belts are harder to find than i was expecting, over here at least.
patches on bags are ok aye? i never see anyone with patches on bags, a vest isn't practical for me and i have some sweet patches here.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:59 pm 

I have a friend who puts patches on his backpack, I see no problem with putting patches on things other than vests, put them wherever you want :P. Also, bullet belts? http://www.crustpunks.com/belts-c-25_37.html

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:23 am 

i'd put them on my shorts but the tend to wear out, i'd be forever unpicking and resewing them.
i dread to think how much the shipping to new zealand would cost for a bullet belt ha ha might try my 'local' army surplus store, they have stick on bullet holes and some 'novelty' stuff too
i can just see the customs people hacking open my package and cordoning off the airport ><.

Moobeat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:05 am 

Here is the back of my newest jacket. Nothing on the front just yet, not sure if I'll actually do anything besides pins.

Successful trades/deals with: Asassin, metaldrummer3211, mjx

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:08 am 

I've been working on this one for the past three or so months and it's definitely still a work in progress. I really like how the back is going so far. The front needs a lot more work, though. I might try to get some studs on the shoulders, too.

Also, I'm not sure how the board feels about the whole retro flip hat deal, but I DIY'd myself a pretty sweet Warbringer hat with some whiteout.

Spoiler: show

- John Calvin.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:09 am 

++ Fantastic Skagos logo there, Moobeat.

- John Calvin.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:12 am 

Anyone else think the perfect spacing of each individual patch that some have done on here looks bad? I don't know what it is about it but the more messily they're placed, the better. Obviously not too wonky lookin' but I think patches placed over other patches and uneven patches placed next to each other, down a line or otherwise, looks great. I think maybe it's because when they're placed like that it doesn't make it so obvious that you're wearing a denim vest, it removes the run-of-the-mill vest quality. Those circle patches don't seem to work.. They are like 'the burden patch', ruining the flow of an otherwise killer vest.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:18 am 

all round ones would look interesting

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:52 am 

This thread's motivated me to finally make a vest.
Will post pix when the thing looks respectable enough :p

First two things I've got for it - Motorhead backpatch (originality be damned, I love Motorhead) and a fucking sweet huge 9 by 4 Sadistik Exekution patch.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:12 am 

i had a SAD EX t-shirt years ago, it looked wicked, rok is a wicked artist aye.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:41 am 

Moobeat wrote:
Here is the back of my newest jacket. Nothing on the front just yet, not sure if I'll actually do anything besides pins.

:o Where did you get this incredible Skagos backpatch?

Edit: Also, is that a Seidr logo patch that's partially visible on the black vest hanging behind the jacket?

Last edited by analog_winter on Sat May 12, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:32 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
i had a SAD EX t-shirt years ago, it looked wicked, rok is a wicked artist aye.

FUKK and FUKK II have really fucking metal covers, hahaha.
Rok needs to do more art.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:39 am 

Here is my jacket that im still working on, i havent decided of what backpatch i wanna put on. But here it is so far.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:57 pm 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
FUKK and FUKK II have really fucking metal covers, hahaha.
Rok needs to do more art.
he's fukking mental ha ha my favourite is that skull that looks a bit like a sheep skull [?] it's long with spikes, not the human one with spikes...
that would make an excellent patch

hey cool, these guys have misery patches :metal:
http://www.seancerecords.com/patchreleases.html

actually i reckon most of his stuff would make sweet patches

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:49 pm 

just ordered one of those misery patches, $8 shipped, i hope it's not too small ha ha

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:29 pm 

Holy shit, that Skagos backpatch is beautiful. I need to take some pictures of my patched up hoodie (Neurosis, Atheist, Assuck on front, plus a "No Gods No Masters" pin, Ash Borer and Blut Aus Nord on the back) and post them here soon...

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:32 am 

I have the gayest jacket on MA... What an achievement! :hail:

It hasn't changed much since my last post here... those safety pins are temporary, I'm simply too lazy to sew them right now.
My cat pissed all over my jacket ON the pins and I had to clean them, so they moved around some... can't see them very well in the pic though...

Only two of the patches aren't cheap, ugly, homemade shit because I am an unemployable idiot, and thus can't afford nice things like embroidered patches, or even decent DIY supplies. WHOTEVAH.

Moobeat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 am 

CrustAsFuckExistence wrote:
Holy shit, that Skagos backpatch is beautiful. I need to take some pictures of my patched up hoodie (Neurosis, Atheist, Assuck on front, plus a "No Gods No Masters" pin, Ash Borer and Blut Aus Nord on the back) and post them here soon...

I really like the image as well ( I have a shirt with that same print on it ). I printed an Ash Borer patch that I need to put on something.

analog_winter wrote:
Edit: Also, is that a Seidr logo patch that's partially visible on the black vest hanging behind the jacket?

Yep. It's attached to a vest I rarely wear anymore because the vest itself is huge and bulky. There are some pics are few pages back I think.

logboy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:51 am 

Heres my older ones:

I need to get a decent picture of my latest one and the hoodie i patched too, heres the backpatch i made for the vest though:

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:01 am 

Moobeat wrote:
I really like the image as well ( I have a shirt with that same print on it ). I printed an Ash Borer patch that I need to put on something.

analog_winter wrote:

Yep. It's attached to a vest I rarely wear anymore because the vest itself is huge and bulky. There are some pics are few pages back I think.

Cool. Also, that Alda patch is really nice, I might have to try my hand at making some patches sometime. And I went back and looked at pics of that other vest, and the Seidr, Panopticon, & Skagos logo patches are all really nice, as well as the WitTR & Drudkh on the back.

Moobeat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:06 pm 

analog_winter wrote:

Cool. Also, that Alda patch is really nice, I might have to try my hand at making some patches sometime. And I went back and looked at pics of that other vest, and the Seidr, Panopticon, & Skagos logo patches are all really nice, as well as the WitTR & Drudkh on the back.

Thanks. There are a lot of patches I like on that vest, but I'm still undecided on saving it or just replacing it.

Last edited by Moobeat on Sun May 13, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:43 pm 

Moobeat wrote:
Thanks. There are a lot of patches I like on that vest, but I'm still undecided on saving it or just replacing it.

By the way, is it very difficult to make your own screen printed patches like that?

Superapearmy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:25 pm 

Image WITTR backpatch and Coffinworm patch.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:17 am 

analog_winter wrote:
Moobeat wrote:

I'm not going to butt in and answer that since you're not addressing me, but I will warn you to avoid wasting your time trying to do clean, durable screens made with drawing fluid (as a last resort only, even after hand-cut stencils!!!).

It is a god damn nightmare in basically all of my experiences using with... just don't waste your time.

Oh, and if you think you can get away with screen printing on the floor of your cluttered, filthy room without A) fucking up the print, and B) getting ink FUCKING EVERYWHERE, you cannot... You NEED a nice, flat, CLEAN, sturdy surface for printing.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:10 am 

Thanks for the advice, and I was in no way planning screen printing on the floor of my room, because it is filthy and cluttered :-D

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 am 

That's good... Ugh. I have so many stains in my carpet...

Moobeat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm 

analog_winter wrote:
By the way, is it very difficult to make your own screen printed patches like that?

I just started with a speedball starter kit and I haven't had any problems; the whole process is much easier than I thought it would be and I just do it out of my kitchen. I used my first screen for ~10 different patch designs and it's still tight. The process can be relatively messy though and requires some trial and error to get your times right.

The process boils down to coating a screen with emulsion, letting it dry, using a bright light and a transparency to set your image on the screen, washing the image out after ~20 minutes of "cooking", then just pushing ink through the screen, then heat setting it and cleaning it up.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:12 pm 

Moobeat wrote:
I just started with a speedball starter kit and I haven't had any problems; the whole process is much easier than I thought it would be and I just do it out of my kitchen. I used my first screen for ~10 different patch designs and it's still tight. The process can be relatively messy though and requires some trial and error to get your times right.

The process boils down to coating a screen with emulsion, letting it dry, using a bright light and a transparency to set your image on the screen, washing the image out after ~20 minutes of "cooking", then just pushing ink through the screen, then heat setting it and cleaning it up.

Yeah, I did some research online and that looked like the best way to do it, I just need to figure out how to print transparencies.

Moobeat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:22 pm 

analog_winter wrote:
Yeah, I did some research online and that looked like the best way to do it, I just need to figure out how to print transparencies.

I go to Office Depot and they print standard paper sized transparencies for $0.60. Inkjet printer based transparency paper is available, but I've never used it as the few that I've talked with about it seem to have trouble with the print not being dark enough to stop the light from coming through.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:30 pm 

The ink from a regular printer applied to the special textured transparencies that you can feed into a printer smears/wipes off if you get it wet, too. Also, it can get gummy from being exposed to UV light, I believe.

I wish I still had easy access to a Xerox machine... It doesn't matter what I am printing, I hate people knowing m business and shit. I never wanna get stuff printed out of the house unless I don't have someone breathing down my neck or doing everything for me... Anxiety's weird.

Oh, but if you have a simple enough design, sometimes you can hand-paint transparencies and still have an image s clear as you would with a xeroxed transparency... not that most metal logos are necessarily that simple.

Anyone know if they make special fine-tipped opaque pens for this purpose? Tracing onto trasparencies, I mean... That'd be perfect.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:47 pm 

Oh, and if you, like me, have a screen handy, but no good burning set-up or anything, it might work (as a one-off deal) to adhere paper cut-out stencils to a screen with workable fixatif or something (on the side you're not going to be running the squeedgie across)... That way you can easily cut fine paper with an xacto knife and then get it arranged neatly on the screen and held in place.

I think I will try this soon and then post the results... because drawing fluid just fucking sucks. Seriously, never again!!!
Hopefully this won't be a complete disaster like the last time I used the stuff.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:48 pm 

clear acrylic spray 'paint' could be handy.
also i don't know if it would work but that clear membranous sealant [it's like clear flexible paint] you use on driveways or brick walls could work too.
you can use some of them in fish ponds so it's not 'toxic' etc i'm just thinking aloud, some of you arty types might want to give it a go though.

edit: spray, not spay...

Last edited by dreadmeat on Tue May 15, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:56 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Anyone know if they make special fine-tipped opaque pens for this purpose? Tracing onto trasparencies, I mean... That'd be perfect.

You can skip the whole transparency and emulsion shit if you get the stuff specially made for painting on the screen itself. I have a bottle of this gluey blue shit, and you put the logo under the screen itself and just trace it with the blue shit. Then you squeegee this other brown shit (the stuff that blocks ink from going through) over it, let it dry, and then the blue-painted areas wash out and will let ink through.

I mean, if you are talking about hand-drawing/painting the logos anyway.

As for making a temporary paper stencil. I've found there's no need for fixative, you just put it there and the ink will hold it while you make a few copies.

I'd post pics of my shit but I am far too lazy and never wear it much anyway.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:13 am 

those are drawing fluid and screen filler respectively... I really need to re-read my instruction booklet about how you use the shit, because I am a fucking retard if I have been using the fluid incorrectly this whole time, which would explain a fucking lot

Anyway, tracing from paper if not the best idea in my experience as it can become stuck to the screen my the drawing fluid as it dries (though I suppose you can put a transparency between the screen and paper too).
I wish I knew where the fuck my bottle of screen filler went to, BTW... can't do much of anything without it. It seems so obvious now, the way you explained how it's used (drawing fluid, I mean)... I feel really dumb.

Filling in a logo with that stuff is fucktons easier than drawing AROUND it with the fluid, which is the retarded shit I was trying to do... and then wondering why the fluid never dried fully and got wiped away after one (or no) sorta-successful prints (that green Smiths patch was a drawing fluid one-off)...

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:20 pm 

So I've bought a black vest, and have a few patches on it. I also ordered a few patches for it & the front of one of my flannel shirts, so I'll post some pictures once those arrive, in the meantime, here's the back of my flannel:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 88  Next