Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:58 pm 

You can find a tracklist as well as the cover here: http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2012/05 ... /#comments

Personally I'm pretty fucking excited. They struck a balance between the controlled dissonance and melody of Si Monumentum and the all out insanity of Fas (which I still don't really like that much) on Paracletus, which is their best one IMO. If they've continued in that direction, I'm sold. Then again, I'm not crazy about any of their other EP's so far.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 pm 

Kenose was great too!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 pm 

That's true, I always forget that Kenose was an EP. It seems like a full lenght to me. I was referring to Diabolus Absconditus and Mass Grave Aesthetics.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:13 pm 

Awesome news, will be looking forward to this that's for sure! If it's anything like 'Paracletus' I will be more than happy!

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:32 pm 

Awesome, I can't wait to hear it. Paracletus was fucking great. I love their EP's too, especially Kénôse .

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:41 pm 

So pumped for this! Loved the mammoth that was SMRC and the mind-bending insanity of Fas, and DSO certainly have a knack for releasing killer EPs (Kenose is basically a kickass full length, and the three ~20-minute epics are all fantastic EPs). And I can't stop listening to Paracletus. Dark, creepy, aggressive, and complete--DSO at their most mature and well-rounded. "Apokatastasis Panton" blew me away. It's quite possibly my favorite track ever. It is such a solemn and beautiful sounding track, but at the same time it induces a deep feeling of dread and helplessness. Amazing. Such a great closer to the album and to the trilogy.

Can't wait to get my hands on this new EP!
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

Last edited by Rusted and Rotting on Thu May 10, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm 

Yum yum!

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:01 pm 

Can't even describe how horny I am for this. I pretty much second everything Rusted and Rotted just said. LOVE this band.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:39 pm 

I don't really like the album art, but I'm looking forward to this EP. Chaining the Katechon is a badass release. If this one is half as good it's gonna be great.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Then again, I'm not crazy about any of their other EP's so far.

I didn't like Chaining The Katechon much (although maybe I need to give it another chance), but Kenose was pretty great. Like you, if they make this one like Paracletus, I'll be happy.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 pm 

so excited for this, should be awesome, loved all deathspell omegas eps. the shorter song lengths indicate that perhaps it is a similar approach to that of paracletus. and if it can reach similar heights to paracletus then we're in for a real treat!

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 pm 

Rusted and Rotting wrote:
"Apokatastasis Panton" blew me away. It's quite possibly my favorite track ever. It is such a solemn and beautiful sounding track, but at the same time it induces a deep feeling of dread and helplessness.

It is indeed killer, but I don't get the dread-and-helplessness vibe. That track soars ever upwards without even the hint of descent.

MazeofTorment wrote:
horny

The very word, brother.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:31 pm 

I must be the odd one out here. I didn't like the shorter song lengths of Paracletus because they just felt like all their music was crammed into several tightly packed containers. The longer pieces of Fas... were much better because I felt like they had more room to breathe; they could space them out better with slower, atmospheric sections to give a more noticeable sense of song progression. I've only listened to one EP, Chaining The Katechon, and aside from the stupid artwork of the two naked dudes licking each other, it was rather enjoyable, but it was a twenty minute long piece so it had plenty of room to breathe.

Not expecting anything great with this upcoming one.

macrocosm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:42 pm 

Am I the only one who noticed there was almost nothing but praise for Fas until Paracletus came out?

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:25 pm 

macrocosm wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed there was almost nothing but praise for Fas until Paracletus came out?

Fas is a bit of a mess. Some really cool sections, but overall there's too much dissonant bullshit going on. And I thought this long before Paracletus came out.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:32 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
macrocosm wrote:

Fas is a bit of a mess. Some really cool sections, but overall there's too much dissonant bullshit going on. And I thought this long before Paracletus came out.

Agreed. Fas definitely has its moments, but I'm somewhat baffled by the love heaped upon it. Si Monumentum is the superior record, along with that little-mentioned EP Kenose, which I was happy to see praised in this thread.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:14 pm 

Fas would have been much better if the drums weren't mixed so damn loud and didn't drown out everything else when blasting.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:41 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
They struck a balance between the controlled dissonance and melody of Si Monumentum and the all out insanity of Fas (which I still don't really like that much) on Paracletus, which is their best one IMO.

I agree with you, and I'd also like to add that I greatly enjoy Paracletus because the bass actually plays a greater role in the music. I'm not even sure if they used a bassist in Fas.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:57 am 

I love Fas, but I really fucking hate the few times there are like 20 seconds of silence in the middle of a song.

Really excited for Drought too!

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:08 am 

Definitely stoked, but I doubt they can top Paracletus.

Also totally agreeing with the "too much silence on Fas" sentiment. Fas is good shit, but there's just too much filler in it (compared to their other albums).
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:58 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
Also totally agreeing with the "too much silence on Fas" sentiment. Fas is good shit, but there's just too much filler in it (compared to their other albums).

I totally understand this, they could have basically cut some songs in FAS for shorter lenght. The same thing i could say for any long DSO songs like Mass Grave Aesthetics, Diabolus Absconditus and Chaining The Katechon. All of them sound like there is multiple songs sticked together for over 20min songs. Paracletus sounds like that too, at first there was only few longer songs but they were cutted for short ones. This is not bad thing at all, personally i like DSO with short songs.

But enough silly criticism, i'm excited for new EP (its appendix for the last chapter, right?) and finally a conclusion for this magnificent trilogy.

StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:27 am 

1 song EP's are fucking amazing! especially Mass Grave Aesthetics..

Im 100% sure this right here will be great too..

macrocosm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:02 pm 

I need to listen to Paracletus more. I was so psyched for Fas part 2 and when I didn't get it I was kinda disappointed. I haven't given it a listen in almost a year now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 pm 

I can't wait to get this. I like more of the total chaos than layered melodic tones but I'll see what I get when i get it in!

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:00 pm 

macrocosm wrote:
I need to listen to Paracletus more. I was so psyched for Fas part 2 and when I didn't get it I was kinda disappointed. I haven't given it a listen in almost a year now.

Go listen now! :) The cover this EP is genius.

altered_vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:12 pm 

I find the desert theme (from the song titles+cover) a bit out of place for DsO but I'm psyched nevertheless.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:47 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
You can find a tracklist as well as the cover here: http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2012/05 ... /#comments

Personally I'm pretty fucking excited. They struck a balance between the controlled dissonance and melody of Si Monumentum and the all out insanity of Fas (which I still don't really like that much) on Paracletus, which is their best one IMO. If they've continued in that direction, I'm sold. Then again, I'm not crazy about any of their other EP's so far.

Great news!
Although my favourite is still (2004) Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice too.

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:23 pm 

captain_che wrote:
"Apokatastasis Panton" blew me away. It's quite possibly my favorite track ever. It is such a solemn and beautiful sounding track, but at the same time it induces a deep feeling of dread and helplessness.

It is indeed killer, but I don't get the dread-and-helplessness vibe. That track soars ever upwards without even the hint of descent.

I totally agree that the track soars (in the sense that it builds in energy and aggression), but for me it didn't feel like it was soaring "upwards," and I don't necessarily believe that a "soaring" sound can't create a dreadful or helpless vibe. I don't want to be overly dramatic, but this track really made me "feel/understand" the weight of the entire trilogy all at once--and that's why it is such a powerful closing track and one that induces a feeling of dread and helplessness in me. To me, it forces the listener to come to terms with the idea that--irregardless of faith, thought, opinion, actions, etc--perdition is an inevitability. The swirling, frantic tremolo riff that repeats to close the song out put a pit in my stomach, which for me is a very good thing, because I absolutely love it when art in any form can force a reaction this strong.

Opinions aside, it's a killer track indeed.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:29 pm 

Also: I seem to remember Season of Mist screwing up a lot of the pre-orders for Paracletus (some copies were shipped weeks late or something along those lines). Do you think they've got their shit together now, or would one be better off pre-ordering the new EP from Amazon or another similar website? Anyone with any experience with Season of Mist as of late who could shed some light on this? Thanks.

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 pm 

Bumping this up because I am really genuinely interested to hear from somebody about Season of Mist and if preordering/ordering from them is reliable. Thanks.

zingote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:07 am 

Looking forward to this. Deathspell Omega is one of France's finest BM bands.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:20 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Balance can go to hell. I'm not interested in balance in metal, which is why Fas is by far their best. I was hoping they'd go even further with Paracletus.

macrocosm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:11 am 

Here's a track from the album “Abrasive Swirling Murk”

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... ling-murk/

StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 am 

Niceeeee!

They are so fucking heavy with their material..
Gold!

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:32 am 

Not seeing anything in that Decibel article.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 pm 

That was a pretty awesome song. It sounds like they're directly continuing the sound of Paracletus though. I was expecting more difference.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:36 pm 

Excellent as usual. I expected nothing less from them.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 pm 

Fuck Decibel and their streaming never working on any computer I happen to be on. I'm not crazy about this band, but I'm into the riffing style and check up on them whenever they put out new shit...would've been cool to listen to on this boring work day.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:00 pm 

song sounds excellent as usual, really looking forward to hearing the whole thing, not too far away now.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 pm 

Bumping this up because I am really genuinely interested to hear from somebody about Season of Mist and if preordering/ordering from them is reliable. Thanks.

I ordered the Paracletus + t-shirt package from SOM. It was a little late, but they threw in a free CD for the trouble. I don't remember what CD it was at the moment, but I thought it a nice gesture. That's my only experience with SOM, though. If I recall correctly, they weren't happy with the first t-shirt print-run and did it all over again, hence the delay. I don't know if they're unreliable, but I'd order from them again based on this one experience. I'd like very much to believe they were genuinely unhappy with the shirts, not just lying to cover the delay :)

New track is killer, by the way.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next