Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:50 pm 

He does mean a decrease in tempo, because actually hitting the bass drum properly requires more work so your top speed is not as high.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:20 am 

Guys, people that are into triggered drums or think they're the raddest simply aren't going to get it. To them, hitting the trigger pad is the same as hitting the drum because contact is made. The philosophical problem for me with triggers is that you aren't playing drums. You're playing the pads. Really, once the drum sound is mic'ed, you don't even need the kit anymore. They're a fucking prop up on stage. There's lots of aids out there for musicians to use in studio or live settings, but I'm not sure any of them earn as much derision as triggers. I'm not sure any of them should either.

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

I'm going to say that Gorath Moonthorn of Alghazanth is my favourite drummer. Alghazanth makes amazing music but I doubt they would be as good as they are with some generic sounding black metal drummer. Gorath really is very creative when comparing to other black metal drummers. Just check out this song and you see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAh_4Pw_764

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:46 pm 

Best:
Neil Peart - All right, I know I'm a cock-sucking bandwagon-jumper for saying that, but his fills are so good that playing the song any other way would/should be a fucking crime.
Also, Cozy Powell was pretty fucking rad, too.

Worst:
Hmm... Well, I fucking love Burzum, but I always thought Varg's drumming was pretty shit. :(
All these keep-a-beat-and-nothing-else drummers don't really piss me off as it seems to do for most of you. Maybe it's because I'm not speaking as a drummer.
Can't say that I'm surprised to see people saying 'Lars' a lot in this thread. ;)

tronics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:23 am 

Flo Mounier. Was always pretty amazed at his work, then I saw Cryptopsy in about 2005 and when he belted out his solo that everyone (well, me at least) was waiting for, he delivered the goods big time. Had a massive crop of hair back then and was just doin massive windmills and headbanging real hard through the solo, it was tops.

Saw Opeth about a year ago, dunno who their drummer is/was but I was pretty impressed with him as well. Thinking back though, there were other contributing factors on that night, so I probably would've been right into his drumming regardless.

Lastly, Mr Derek Roddy. Been a fan of his for a fair while, and he's coming all the way down under this Wednesday night to do a drumming clinic/expo at one of my local music stores. Bonus!

shiduba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:42 pm 

Alex Bent from Arkaik is FUCKING INSANE. Just watch.

here's a random drum solo (EPIC syncopation) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcojI1c5Xfs

and here's him doing some ridiculous shit with Arkaik http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFSQf0ynsZg

where do these guys come from? Every time I start to think "fuck, I'm good in drumming" I find out of a guy like this :D it's amazing. Bad drummers seem to be few and far between, at least I haven't heard many drummers so bad they have started to irritate me.

The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 pm 

For me the best drummer in Metal is Jonny Maudling of Bal-Sagoth. Shame he stopped playing the drums, he is the best drummer the band has had, I mean, the drumming on Battle Magic is simply amazing. Lots of speed, consistency and awesome fills. One hell of a musician.

The worst, I'll have to say Nicko from Iron Maiden. I don't mean he's bad or anything, I just find his drumming too generic and boring, he does the same thing in every damned song.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:30 pm 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...this needs more Les Binks.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

GarageMetal468
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
To the guy who mentionned Nick Barker, what? I think he sounds ferocious in Lock Up.

Agreed, he's awesome live as well. He never lost time once. The guys a beast!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 am 

Warpig17 wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

Maybe you're refering to the drum pedals. Those are the ones who make the footwork easier (like Axis, Iron Cobra or DW's for example). Triggers are just a sound device, not a performance one.

And if you disconnect the triggers, of course you won't hear a damn thing, since instead using ambient microphones, the triggers goes to the soundboard directly acting like mics. It's not so different than disconnecting the cable from a guitar or shutting down the amplifier.

He's talking about setting the sensitivity really high on the trigger so someone could get the sound of a full kick by barely tapping it. When he was talking about disconnecting the trigger he said that the pieces were perfectly miked. So you would hear the bass drums but you might notice a decrease in BPM because they can't pussyfoot it anymore. (If that's what the drummer is used to)

I think that when you set the trigger so you can pussyfoot the double bass, then it's cheating. But otherwise I see no problem if I like the production. For example Doc on Vader's Litany had such a powerfull sound that was probably made possible by a trigger.

Actually, if you have high-end bass pedals, you can set them to be extremely sensitive, so how DYNAMIC is the trigger doesn't matter too much (and I believe many of the most praised drummers out there do this). Check Kollias, Hellhammer, Sandoval or Roddy's playing: they don't really destroy the bass pedal with brutal strenght: they play it with a light touch; the difference in performance usually comes how they hit the snare. and toms (Hear Grim's snare in Gorgoroth's UTSOH or the first 2 Borknagar albums, it gives the whole character to the performance).

I don't get why people hate so much triggers, it's not really that different than compressors for guitars and basses. The drummer still have to play every stroke and the whole macho thing about stamina it's pretty stupid. In a live performance, I would love you see you going with relentless double bass at 300 bpm for 2 hours, and do the same the next night and so on hitting the bass pedals as a neanderthal.

About Doc's sound, consider how high it's on the mix and the amount of mid frequencies it has. I saw him live with Vader and the guy was just that powerful live but you could see that his playing wasn't heavy: he hit the kit with normal intensity. The Marduk drummer was different: that guy was slamming the snare in a way I thought he could just fuck it up.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:14 pm 

I've seen Lars Ulrich perform live twice and I can concur with most of what has been said here. Although it may not be fair as he's not a drummer and an otherwise talented musician, Abbath did fuck up pretty bad with his drumming. Not to mention it was on a full-length and not some lost demo tape. So he deserves a mention.

As for the best, I'm a big fan of Ardraos of Sühnopfer. His band is a one-man project and all intruments are played rather well, but you can tell he's a drummer. The amount of versatility, skill and creativity in his drumming is tough to match. Moreover, the drums actively dictate the compositions, which is something you very rarely see in (black) metal. The "Nos Sombres Chapelles" album is a must for drum enthusiasts.

I also love the work of Archon Vorskaath of Zemial and Agatus. As with Ardraos, his drumming is extremely versatile and precise. He also likes to use unconventional percussion instruments. His work on Zemial's "In Monumentum" and Agatus's "The Weaving Fates" in particular is noteworthy.

I should also note that I'm not a drummer, so my opinions are based on pure listening experience rather than any sort of technical expertise. ;)

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:40 pm 

I don't think he's been mentioned, but the drummer of High on Fire. I'm listening to De Vermis... right now, and his drumming is so damn lively and interesting.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:14 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Paul Mazurkiewicz seems pretty good in this video and he got the track in one take (try doing that Lars):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KZGmujAdao&list=PL013702DBA1B99E23&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Not technical, but who cares. I don't think Cannibal Corpse would be any better with technical drumming, and I'd actually prefer the more straight-forward approach. Plus, he's breaking his damn back for you people! Show him some appreciation.

Agreed. A big part of what makes Cannibal unique is his drumming. Sure, over the years i've thought they'd be better with a Sandoval or Roddy or whoever but if they did, they'd probably wind up sounding like every other technical death metal band. Don't take what he plays (or doesn't play) for granted.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 am 

KFD wrote:
Yes, bass guitar is probably the most difficult instrument to mix. The challenge is to make it loud enough to be heard (noticed?), but without covering the guitar low end or bass drum.
But I don't see the point in including bass tracks if they cannot be percieved by human ears. For example, on Thousand Swords, the only bass I can hear is the break on "To Die in Fight"'.

That's another reason to me to play fretless, cause it's harder to hide below the guitars without decreasing much the volume, mainly cause it's a more mid frequency instrument sounding than normal bass.

Many bands have bass just to enchance the heaviness, to add extra low end and that's all. Sad, if you ask me.

About drummers...Lars Szoke was never much of my liking. Even if Hypocrisy as a whole is incredible, his drumming was always underwhelming... I just like it in Abducted, especially in Killing art. Horgh was a great idea for a replacement, even if his drumming it's not really mindblowing, he's solid as fuck and sounds powerful.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:14 pm 

My faves seem to have all been mentioned, except perhaps Weasel Walter, from the Flying Luttenbachers, Hatewave, and now with Behold... The Arctopus -- not the fastest or most talented guy behind a drumkit but his attitude and attack is great, reminding me of J Read some.

Denominator_Zero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:22 pm 

Frost and George Kollias :]

YsmirsBeard666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:16 pm 

Let's see, if I answer without thinking, my first choices would be Inferno, Kevin Talley, and Romain Goulon, but these have been mentioned a bunch of times and I wouldn't really be contributing anything.

Munruthel, the drummer on Nokturnal Mortum's Goat Horns, was simply amazing. The drumming is an amazing aspect of the album.

I can't really think of a bad drummer or one I specifically dislike. There are some generic drummers, but none that I distinctly dislike.

dunkelheit616
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:27 pm 

The worst drummer I have ever heard is Capricornus from Graveland. He can't even stay in time on Immortal Pride, he makes a load of mistakes on Thousand Swords and Following the Voice of Blood. And don't even ask about In the Glare of Burning Churches!

Despite this he has an interesting galloping technique in his tracks and the overall execution is interesting to listen to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left the band because of his mistakes. Quite strange though since Graveland is one of my favourites. Stranger still, all the albums I mentioned are black metal classics.

Endmill
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:26 pm 

I can't really think of a terrible drummer ,but i would say fredrick andersson(ex-marduk) for being so goddamn boring with everlasting blasts and for recycling the same toms fills on panzer division marduk.

Speaking of very good drummers i'd say Nabemih from ondskapt, whoever plays the drums in Deathspell Omega, Igniis Fatuus of Portal and Jef Whitehead(Wrest) of Leviathan.

maksalaatikko
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:00 pm 

Did someone already name Lars Ulrich for the worst drummer of all times?

Martin Lopez, Pete Sandoval, Kai Hahto, Derek Roddy and Juhana Karlsson are my personal favourites.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:10 pm 

i like possessed's seven churches as much as the next guy, but those drums (by mike sus) are absolutely ridiculous

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:52 pm 

Some of these are odd choices as I'm sure they wouldn't the mind of someone of knows their way around a kit. There's many great drummers that have already been mentioned.

Mikkey Dee - He played on three of my favourite albums. His introduction drum part on Welcome Home is just the best thing.
Markus Hirvonen (Insomnium) - I loved him on Above the Weeping World. He knew when to change beat and keep things varied.
Chris Black - I'm a huge Pharaoh fanboy to be fair! One track that springs to mind is Cover Your Eyes and Pray.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 am 

Not an actual drummer but the way Quorthon programmed drums on everything past Hammerheart, it's really out of time.

metalxstorm123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 am 

Paul Mazurkiewicz is awesome, "he acts like pretty much a metronome" what the fuck do you expect?! this is cannibal corpse, not fucking Necrophagist, who cares if its predictable(consistent), thats like saying Opeth is better than Possessed because the guitars arent doing power chords or tremelo picking as often

metalxstorm123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:27 am 

Dave Lombardo, Derek Roddy, George Kollias, Flo Mounier, Mike Smith, Steve Asheim, Pete Sandoval, Chris Reifert, Gene Hoglan, Steve Flynn, Bill Ward, Land Phil

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:02 am 

Patrik Hultin from Burst wasn't extraordinary starting out. Like the band's music, with each album he got better and better. Catchy fills, thunderous, and keeping a rhythm that contributed to the band's progressive dissonance.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:30 am 

joppek wrote:
i like possessed's seven churches as much as the next guy, but those drums (by mike sus) are absolutely ridiculous

Let's be honest, though, the whole album is completely OTT in a big-black-pentagram-on-your-school-book kinda way and the drums are perfectly fitting.

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:11 pm 

Is anyone here into Enochian Theory? I think the name of the drummer is Sam Street, his drumming really impresses me, pretty jazzy and creative, it reminds me of Sean Reinert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlKShW8Mq_4

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:02 pm 

I'm a big fan of Asgeir Mickelson. His playing with Borknagar and Spiral Architect especially. The drumming on Empiricism is a big part of why I love that album so much.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:37 pm 

Alex from Abominable Putridity is freaking excellent. Interesting that he also produced on 'Anomalies Of Artificial Origin'. The drums stand out as masterful, though the double-bass might be mixed a bit too high depending on one's tastes. His drumming on that album, in particular, really is amazingly tight and complex as compared to most others doing similar styles of music. Really a treat to listen to.

BBEdrummerAK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:37 pm 

Endmill wrote:
I can't really think of a terrible drummer ,but i would say fredrick andersson(ex-marduk) for being so goddamn boring with everlasting blasts and for recycling the same toms fills on panzer division marduk.

I can agree with that sentiment. HOWEVER, that was at a point in time I really felt he was getting bored with the direction Marduk was going...you listen to his other project, Allegiance, any one of the 3 albums they put out in the same time frame Marduk put out 'Heaven Shall Burn..', 'Nightwing', and 'Panzer..' (1996-1999), and you'll hear a somewhat different drummer..more lively fills, varied beats, GREAT double bass! Then again, Allegiance wasn't all about monotonous blasting for every song either.

I was tickled pink to see someone else mentioned Crapicornus as a most awful drummer. I couldn't agree more. As much as I would love to enjoy the classic Graveland albums (the riffs and atmosphere are really quite excellent), his drumming totally ruined it for me, speaking as a drummer. I think as a whole, most of your current crop of young deathcore drummers piss me right off. While I do admire the hand and foot coordination most of those guys have, especially as fill crazy as they get every measure, its just that: fills and exercises sped up and placed into 'songs'. I am willing to bet hardly any of those guys can keep a solid straight beat, or play at a doom tempo. Note I say 'deathcore', which I do not place in the catagory of 'technical death metal' like a lot of ppl would lump em into.

As far as drummers I feel are among the best, I have to say Ole Öhman to start. His work with Dissection, especially on 'Storm Of The Lights Bane', made an impact on me as a young drummer, with the way he incorporated fills and kept the playing overall pretty simple, even with the tempo changes that a lot of those songs had. Alexander van Milenwald (Nagelfar, Ruins of Beverast) is another guy that really blew my mind. Not because of over technicality, but how his playing just FIT with the music. There's a million others I could name (A LOT of whom have already been mentioned in this thread!)...lol. I tend to admire drummers that play for the song and pick and choose the spots to go off and get crazy rather than guys that just have insane chops and that's all they have to offer.

And to be fair, while Lars is not the best drummer in the world, he IS the reason I wanted to pick up sticks in the first place. All thanks to the video for 'One'! And I doubt I'm the only drummer in my age bracket posting in this forum that had that Lars influence to start. And I happen to enjoy playing some of the old Metallica songs, with his odd ball fills and everything. :D haha

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:35 pm 

Necronipple wrote:
I'm a big fan of Asgeir Mickelson. His playing with Borknagar and Spiral Architect especially. The drumming on Empiricism is a big part of why I love that album so much.

Did you hear him in Vintersorg's Visions from the Spiral Generator and The Focusing Blur? He did an excellent job - as good as on Borknagar actually but a slightly different style. I also like his drumming on Ihsahn's albums, especially on After.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:22 pm 

Paul gives CC a primal sound.
You get the sense that their is an actual human being behind the kit and not some cybernetic enhanced virtuoso who was bred to play drums.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:23 am 

pastafarian wrote:
Paul gives CC a primal sound.
You get the sense that their is an actual human being behind the kit and not some cybernetic enhanced virtuoso who was bred to play drums.

Or just a guy with limited skills behind the kit? There are plenty of simplistic drummers who can do more than tap tap tap, just look at the guy from Unleashed or hell even early Vader.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:04 pm 

I believe Kollias is the best, for obvious reasons. I do not like Nile at all though. I really like Paweł "Paul" Jaroszewicz(Currently Lost Soul), who was the drummer on the latest two Vader albums: http://youtu.be/-A8fFOoBF0g and http://youtu.be/ONyAYSG2dE4
I love his blast beats, thrash beats, and drum fills. Another guy I find really good is Stormblast from Infernal War. I think he is just an awesome drummer, I particularly like his cymbal use. Lots of blast beats though: http://youtu.be/iNeBK1YZ_g4 , http://youtu.be/7WZDVSozqhQ

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:41 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Necronipple wrote:

Did you hear him in Vintersorg's Visions from the Spiral Generator and The Focusing Blur? He did an excellent job - as good as on Borknagar actually but a slightly different style. I also like his drumming on Ihsahn's albums, especially on After.

Yeah I should have mentioned those as well. I can't think of album where he WASN'T awesome.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:10 pm 

Necronipple wrote:

Yeah I should have mentioned those as well. I can't think of album where he WASN'T awesome.

The album is good, but the drumming...

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:36 pm 

[quote="Endmill"]I can't really think of a terrible drummer ,but i would say fredrick andersson(ex-marduk) for being so goddamn boring with everlasting blasts and for recycling the same toms fills on panzer division marduk.

I love the drumming on Panzer. Relentless and pounding! He does do some interesting touches on the drums, but they're very subtle, things like quick alternations of the ride cymbal and stuff like that.

Endmill
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:57 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:
Endmill wrote:

I love the drumming on Panzer. Relentless and pounding! He does do some interesting touches on the drums, but they're very subtle, things like quick alternations of the ride cymbal and stuff like that.

Honesly, I am regretting that post, i mean, it's not as bad as i made it sound. It could be more varied but it fits the album and the sound that the band had in that period.

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:42 am 

Good: BRANN DAILOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bad: Unoriginal Death/Black metal drummers

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next