Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:36 pm 

As most of you know, before V2 was released it was customary to list an album's lineup in the additional notes. However, surprisingly (at least to me), a lot of these lineups still remain in the additional notes, even when the lineup has been added in the new V2 fashion of assigning artist profiles to roles. It doesn't seem like there's been much effort to clear these out (I found some in a couple Iron Maiden albums late last year :durr:), and I think it's about high time with the one-year anniversary of Encyclopaedia Metallum's second version closing in.

Could one of the admins compile a list of all the albums with "line-up" or "lineup" in the additional notes? It might also help to divide that list into two tabs, "albums with V2 lineups" and "albums without V2 lineups", or something more concisely worded than that.

EDIT: On second thought, we could use a method like that to clear up a lot of the miscellaneous roles as well, like album art, engineering, producing, mixing, mastering and the like (though the latter three might be less useful if made into lists, since from what I've seen the band usually credits themselves with the mixing and producing, as opposed to naming specific people).

So, what do you think?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:19 pm 

That's a good idea. :thumbsup:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:09 pm 

Seconded. :) Very good idea.

Just remember to double-check the actual line-up tabs before clearing the data, folks... it's always possible that some idiot went and added a freestyle/guesswork line-up without even bothering to check or follow the notes. :rolleyes: I found plenty of "questionable" line-ups on Gospel of the Horns's page.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:57 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/todo/no-l ... ums_legacy

Have fun. Only 9942 albums!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 am 

Thanks. :) Time to get started. *cracks knuckles*

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:31 pm 

Just saying, the list Morrigan created doesn't catch every line-up. I have come across a band that had the musicians in the notes, but not the word line-up.

http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... d/id/15245

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 pm 

Uh... yeah...

the actual list page wrote:
This is the list of albums that still have the words "line-up" or "lineup" in their additional notes and probably need cleanup.

:|

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 pm 

After the current list is cleared, we could probably add the albums that have the words "drums" + "bass" + "vocals" + "guitars".

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:01 pm 

That could work. I'd perform a search for two or more of the band members' known aliases in the line-ups, myself.

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:27 am 

Hi folks !
I consider myself as part of the task force concerning album line-up removals, yet I'm running out of time - as I will be with the stallions in the mountains again at the end of may.
I don't double check - I triple check before removing information in the additional notes field.
It's not only the performing artists, also various miscellaneous staff (producers, engineers, cover art etc) which costs more time certainly, but raises effectiveness.
As everyone should I check if the line-up is entered, secondly I check the CD booklets of my collection (Vinyl sleeves), thirdly I use the artist search in cases of doubt.

As you all know there are often printing mistakes around, concerning The Almighty I own three albums.
On Soul Destruction and Powertrippin' the credits say Stump Monroe, who is not present in the archives. The album Crank just says Stumpy. I don't know if Stump is a real given name (forename) in English language or just a nickname, but it's more likely to me a name for an adult than Stumpy.
Google didn't push me forward.
So in that case I refrained from removing the album line ups from all three albums, I did it just for one.
I know about the flaging of artists for deletion, due to possible printing errors etc in the booklets I preferred this posting here.
I hate guessing and try to contribute on a high quality level...

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:56 pm 

His name is "Stump". "Stumpy" is a nickname.

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:47 pm 

Hello.
I just started a new topic on something relating to this one here without seeing this thread. Sorry for that.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89890

What I wanted to tell you is:
I took a look at this: http://www.metal-archives.com/todo/no-lineup

And I saw that many of the albums listed in the tab Albums (Legacy) are in fact compilations that won't ever have a lineup added to them (except Other staff). Could the list be cleared of compilations, please? Would make it much clearer and more comfortable.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:12 pm 

I think that would be too much of a pain in the ass to search through all of the albums and handpick every compilation. What we could do is wait until all the full-lengths, EPs, singles, and splits are done, and the list can be removed (after checking that the ones remaining are really compilations).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 pm 

Wouldn't those albums still have additional staff? But I can remove compilations from that list if people really want me to.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 am 

@oogboog: I thought it would be fairly easy for a mod or admin to do that. That's why I asked.

@Morrigan: Some of these albums propably would have other staff listed in the additional notes but I doubt that these are normally listed as "lineup" there.
And I think that many compilations in the database have their other staff listed in the additional notes without being in the tab "Albums (Legacy)".

A few posts above I read the idea to make a list of albums with additional notes with the words vocals, guitars, bass, drums etc. in them, when the other work here is done. When we are at that we could also search for add. notes with the words recorded ... by, mixing, mastering etc. in them to find albums with missing other staff.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:33 am 

Don't forget that some compilations have a known lineup where different band members do different tracks, some compilations can have lineups (band members) added to them.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 am 

It doesn't matter, because you cannot add band members to compilations.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 pm 

Why not?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:46 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80968

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
Why not?

Because most compilations are composed of material drawn from other non-compilation albums. If you know which albums have material that is included on the compilation, then you can find the lineup on those albums' respective pages - listing the lineup on the compilation's page would be redundant in such a situation. But aside from that, listing band members for a compilation that spans multiple eras of the band would be a mess. Imagine seeing this on the lineup page of a compilation album with 13 songs:

Harry - Vocals (tracks 2, 4-6, 9-13)
Joseph - Vocals (tracks 1, 3)
Mac - Vocals (tracks 7-8)
Horace - Guitars (tracks 1-3, 7, 12)
George - Guitars (track 4)
Bob - Guitars (tracks 5-6)
Derek - Guitars (tracks 8-11, 13)
Bob - Bass (tracks 2, 5, 7-9, 13)
Billy - Bass (tracks 1, 3-4, 10-12)
Leo - Bass (track 6)
Luke - Drums (tracks 1-2)
Josh - Drums (tracks 3, 7, 9, 12)
Manny - Drums (tracks 4-6, 8, 10-11)

As you can see, it would look atrocious.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 pm 

I just want to point out that compilations were removed from the following list:
http://www.metal-archives.com/todo/no-l ... ums_legacy

Reply to topic