Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
skadiv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:18 pm 

Hi everybody,
I'm not new not the site, I've been browsing a lot, but I registered only to write this -
I read a lot reviews on this site, some of the are good, some are bad, some are VERY bad...and then there's this:
(in a review of Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness it is written)
Quote:
*this is a reaction after the first listen*

This is the first real black metal album that I actually like. Before that I'd heard The Kovenant - Nexus Polaris, Morbid Angel - Covenant and Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse and I hated all of them

@!%@!$!@#$!@$
WHY in the world would anyone, who admits he hates Black Metal, write a review on one of Black Metal finest albums, after only one spin, and in the way shit on some of the absolute masterpieces of the genre???
I almost bashed my head into the screen saw it...what was he thinking??? W T F ?!

man I'm so pissed!!

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:41 pm 

Okay, first off, if the words of a faceless person over the Internet, whose opinion only has as much weight as you give it, makes you that mad, you need to go outside and get a few dozen breaths of fresh air. There are way worse things to worry about in life.

Secondly, there's no rule that explicitly states that a review must love the genre they're reviewing, nor is there a rule that reviewers must honor "the absolute masterpieces of the genre" (which is completely subjective, by the way) - if the latter was a rule, well there wouldn't be much point in writing a review for those albums, would there? You would already know what to expect, a masterpiece! (And if it wasn't a masterpiece to you, well FUCK YOU YOU'RE WRONG YOU CAN'T WRITE THIS BULLSHIT!)

I'm not a moderator on this site, so I won't attempt to pass judgement on the review in question, but reviews are not accepted on the basis of how much the moderator agrees or disagrees with the reviewer's opinion - really, all that guy has to do to get his review accepted is describe the music in a somewhat descriptive manner. I disagree with the "review after first spin" ideology, but apparently he got a firm enough grasp of the music with that one spin to create a review that was deemed acceptable by the moderators. What are you suggesting, anyways? That reviews be removed because of the author's outlying tastes?

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 pm 

The "legal" part is what cracks me up the most here. You're into black metal and yet you're that obsessed with the law?

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 pm 

splyu wrote:
The "legal" part is what cracks me up the most here. You're into black metal and yet you're that obsessed with the law?

I don't think he intended the title to use that wording. I assume he was going for something along the lines of "Is this allowed here?"

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:09 pm 

Oh no, people have opinions differing from yours!!!!!!

Now bash your head on your screen.

No mods will refuse a review because it has ''controversial'' opinions, if it fits the criterias of the site, it will be added. Anyway, see MalignantThrone's post for most details, I will not continue to answer this futile post any further.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.