Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 am 

What's the band's name...?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:49 am 

Pansvicide Satanic Protokol.

So, what's the right thing to do?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Would it be ok to add "international" as the country of origin, and in location write "somewhere in former Yugoslavia" since there's no specific mention of any of the 7 Ex-Yu countries?

I'd go for this solution. Except, personally, I'd write nothing in the location field and just explain the whole thing in the additional notes.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:58 am 

Ok then. Thank you very much.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

This band is from Russia and they are not metal, so don't bother submitting them.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm 

Fulgurius wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

This band is from Russia and they are not metal, so don't bother submitting them.

That is disappointing. Yes, I agree they're dark ambient and not metal, but since I found them pretty similar to Moevot or Equimanthorn I thought it'll be ok to submit.

But you're the ones with the power. Thanks anyway.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
That is disappointing. Yes, I agree they're dark ambient and not metal, but since I found them pretty similar to Moevot or Equimanthorn I thought it'll be ok to submit.

But you're the ones with the power. Thanks anyway.

Before submitting anything, read our rules, especially the part about non-metal side projects. The band in question isn't even a side project of metal musician to start with.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:

Just to clarify, mere musical similarity to approved bands isn't sufficient for non-metal projects (be they side- or otherwise). You may assume that, as a genre, dark ambient/folk/etc is considered okay on its own, because of its sometimes vicinity to and interchange with certain domains of metal music. Not so. These things are judged based on criteria like listenership, notability, involvement and relevance to the "metal scene"/a database dedicated to documenting metal. As the rules say, there is a measure of arbitrariness involved in their selection and submission by normal users is usually discouraged.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:56 pm 

To Fulgurius:

I'm not trying to argue or anything, but I have read the rules. As far as I knew, the guy from P.S.P. is involved in other black metal projects (as mentioned on an email sent to me by the record label), so I thought it was ok to submit it. You said "do not submit", and I'm not gonna do it. I'm cool with the decision, and I respect it. I said it was disappointing because I like to take my time to dig up info, and actually enjoy the investigation process when it comes to add information here in MA. Also, I was really thanking for taking the time to answer this issue, and since you're the ones with the power I'm simply accepting your view. I mention it just to get things straight, in case you thought I was being sarcastic or answering in a disrespectful/ironic/resented way.

To Azmodes:

I agree with what you wrote. And I'm aware that submitting that kind of music is discouraged. The reason I was about to submit it was that (in my opinion) it fits with the general idea of the site. I'll refrain from doing so from now on. No harm or wrongdoing intended. Thanks for paying attention anyway.

PS: And no, I'm not trying to start an argument war. I know I'll lose.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:29 pm 

If I submit Mamiffer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlmI2WhO3ls
Will they be rejected? They are piano based ambient, but they are a side project of Aaron Turner of Isis. I'm fuzzy on how the side project rule works exactly so I thought I might as well ask before submitting.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Fromhelltoappart
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:37 pm 

Hi buddies...
Somebody can answer me a question?
Why the new Steve "Zetro" Souza band called "Hatriot", cannot be posted?
Is a fake band or something?

Thanx and best regards...
From hell

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:52 pm 

because they haven't released anything yet?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:00 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
because they haven't released anything yet?

Yes, nothing physical, at least. The one 2010 EP is digital-only. Also, please don't mini-mod.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:08 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
If I submit Mamiffer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlmI2WhO3ls
Will they be rejected? They are piano based ambient, but they are a side project of Aaron Turner of Isis. I'm fuzzy on how the side project rule works exactly so I thought I might as well ask before submitting.

I understand why you might hesitate to submit it, but this is not what this thread is for. Gather the necessary data and reasons why you might think that this project should have an entry (Is it a side-project of his created in tandem with another of his bands? Does it have worldwide distribution? Would it be a relevant, noteworthy addition to the database?) and submit it to the queue. It will then be considered.

Geisterkarle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:30 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Yes, nothing physical, at least. The one 2010 EP is digital-only. Also, please don't mini-mod.

I think, this is a point that should be discussed more.
Seriously: We are in the 21. Century, Digitalization all around us! With iTunes, amazon and so on you really don't need physical "things" anymore, you can listen to music only digital if you want to!
Bands like Machinae Supremacy (they started out with web-release only and see where they got to) are not some exception, it's quite likely the future!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:02 am 

This has been discussed several times before. The criteria right now is that a physical release is required to get accepted into the archives.
Whether this changes in the future or not, is not relevant at this point.
Rules still apply. Metalness and proof of physical release are required!

asgardaesir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 am 

My project (Hiemal) was rejected on the terms that it was "Not predominantly metal. Primarily ambient.". As the artist that created these songs I can inform the moderators that there are 11 Black Metal songs on the demos and 6 ambient songs. This equals about two thirds metal which in my opinion is enough metal to allow it in the Metal archives. Is it posible to get a reconsideration?

Here are some links to the metal songs:
At the Foot of the Trees
Winters Sorrow
the-receding-light
In the Darkness
Frostbitten Landscapes
Face Down in Crystals
Fallen in the land of white
Suspended By Ice
Hoarfrost
Wandering
Within cold forests

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:07 am 

@asgardaesir: Those tracks you linked to were part of the reason I rejected the band. Yes, there's some kind of black metal riffing going on, but it's usually layered under the ambient parts, more supporting the ambience than taking the lead. There are parts were that's debatable, but also considering the bulk of undeniable pure ambient songs, I had the impression that metal is an admittedly existent, but not dominant part of the music. It may seem overly calculating, but that's the approach I use with ambient/black metal bands. Other mods feel free to offer different opinions.

Geisterkarle wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

I think, this is a point that should be discussed more.
Seriously: We are in the 21. Century, Digitalization all around us! With iTunes, amazon and so on you really don't need physical "things" anymore, you can listen to music only digital if you want to!
Bands like Machinae Supremacy (they started out with web-release only and see where they got to) are not some exception, it's quite likely the future!

The physical release rule isn't really about the format, it's about filtering out bedroom/MySpace/less-than-serious short-lived projects. As such it has served us very well. As such it is also not that easily adjusted. We are aware that a number of bands chooses to release their albums in a digital format only for a variety of reasons and that works in this format can be no less reputable, serious and relevant than those on physical media. That's a shortcoming of the PR rule, one that will probably get worse in time (though how fast and by how much remains to be seen). Nevertheless it is one of the two main rules that helps govern the influx of bands and will be enforced until we find another rule/version of the rule better fit to deal with it. We may expand on the physical release rule concerning digital albums, but when, how and if that happens remains to be seen. Until we have thought out and agreed to a better and practically consistent way of dealing with the validity of bands, we won't rashly expand the rule. This is not a matter as simple as "Digital music is becoming more and more prevalent so let's also include digital albums. Period.". Please understand this. And yes, it is being discussed among the staff.

deadcount
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 am 

"Hi!

Some months ago I tried to submit here my freind's band called Howling Eternity. It's a Hungarian Drone/Doom MEtal band.
I added their debut demo (called Voices Of The Sun) which was released by Firstborn Chaos Productions in 21th December 2011.
Why was this band blacklisted?
You can find every official infos on their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/khaosovnoises)

I want to resubmit it.
Can we solve it?"

..."It was probably because it was a drone band with no or not enough metal influences."

You have 252 registered drone bands.....

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 pm 

deadcount wrote:
"Hi!

Some months ago I tried to submit here my freind's band called Howling Eternity. It's a Hungarian Drone/Doom MEtal band.
I added their debut demo (called Voices Of The Sun) which was released by Firstborn Chaos Productions in 21th December 2011.
Why was this band blacklisted?
You can find every official infos on their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/khaosovnoises)

I want to resubmit it.
Can we solve it?"

..."It was probably because it was a drone band with no or not enough metal influences."

Well, as it's apparently not about lack of physical release, it has to be the metalness of the band. The one track on Myspace does indeed sound like drone without any real (doom) metal elements. As you quoted, it is "a drone band with no or not enough metal influences.".

deadcount wrote:
You have 252 registered drone bands.....

If you take a closer look at that list you'll see that the overwhelming majority of those bands has metal genres in addition to "Drone" in the field (usually "Doom Metal"; those with "Drone/Ambient" and such are most probably non-metal side-projects). We accept drone bands if they have enough metal elements, which is usually what is called "drone doom" or some variation thereof.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
We accept drone bands if they have enough metal elements, which is usually what is called "drone doom" or some variation thereof.

Further adding to that, some bands (like LDRTFS) have a combination of metallic drone releases among non-metallic drone. So if you find a drone band on the Archives that sounds less than metallic to you, chances are they'll either be accepted based on specific releases.

That, or they're here under the side-project rule.

deadcount
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:48 pm 

I have heard other songs from this demo which have more metal influences.
This is a side-project of D from Solus (which is a Hungarian Black METAL band).

AsmodeusUrloNero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:15 pm 

release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUEz0A1a ... XIbES59tU=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBzRnG9 ... XIbES59tU=

deadcount
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:33 pm 

So what? :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 pm 

@deadcount: He wasn't referring to your case. About Howling Eternity, if you think their other material is more metal then you need to provide that material so we can listen to it.

@AsmodeusUrloNero: Please don't post this here. Add it to the submission notes when you resubmit. (you resubmitted before making that post, in that case you can make a report for the band and add the links there; better yet, as a rule of thumb, DON'T EVER resubmit without providing what the moderator asked for)

You still need to show us evidence that the band has a physical (CD, tape, LP, etc...) release. Two songs on Youtube aren't proof for that.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:33 am 

Was there a verdict on the band Atoma? The succeeding band to Slumber: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Slumber/14871

? I've heard the album and it seems metal enough for this site. Has a ton of post-rock and other influences, yes, but the core sounds metal.

I ask because I was going to submit the band, but noticed while looking up the artists to add it had Atoma for one of them. Strange, so I clicked it and it gave me an error / deleted page so I thought they were already considered and found not metal.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Karcass
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:10 pm 

I tried adding the band None of the Living Remain but it was rejected because I didn't provide proof of a psychical release (which they have plenty of), before I resubmit it how would I go about showing that? Take a picture of the album and post it up? Or do I have to be seen holding the album to prove that it is in fact real?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:07 pm 

Karcass wrote:
I tried adding the band None of the Living Remain but it was rejected because I didn't provide proof of a psychical release (which they have plenty of), before I resubmit it how would I go about showing that? Take a picture of the album and post it up? Or do I have to be seen holding the album to prove that it is in fact real?

Yes, a photo of the album is usually enough for proof (case open, CD itself visible, with booklet, etc...; something more than just a printed out cover in a closed jewel case if you catch my drift). You don't have to be visible in the picture, it doesn't even have to be taken by you if you can find any other old conclusive picture on the Internet.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:02 pm 

Did a band named Rotting Obscene get deleted some time ago? I was adding their members, and I had noticed the band name had shown up. The link led to nothing, however.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 pm 

I'd like to politely inquire as to why Primal Rock Rebellion was denied. Of course, it's not quite metal in the traditional sense, but I feel like it should be included under the side project rule. I feel like denying the side project of one of the core members of one of the most important heavy metal bands in history is a little arrogant.

IWP
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 am 

Mule: Nope, sorry, Soulfly are not metal.
Person: What? Of course they are!
Mule: No, they're not, you lose.
Person: Of course they are, listen to the riffs on their new albu....
Mule: Nope, you're wrong. Look it up.
Person: I don't have to look it up, it's common knowledge.
Mule: No! No! No! No! No! No! No! EEEEAAAAAAUUU!!!!!! EEEEAAAAAAUUU!!!!!! EEEEAAAAAAUUU!!!!!!

Sorry, I had to. hahahaha XD

Thanatos79
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 am 

Hi my band post has been rejected because there is not proof of the release...ok how I can prove the existence of our demo in cd format? I can post pictures of myself with the copy of the demo in my hand?

spankybee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:21 am 

I really don't like how selective the grindcore rule is... no Cripple Bastards? but Sanitys Dawn is ok? No Rompeprop but Rectal Smegma is ok? heck there's a buttload of straight forward Grind Core bands on here but a certain few are No-No's?? Why?
Its all just another branch on the Metal Tree.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:53 pm 

IWP wrote:
Mule: Nope, sorry, Soulfly are not metal.
Person: What? Of course they are!
Mule: No, they're not, you lose.
Person: Of course they are, listen to the riffs on their new albu....
Mule: Nope, you're wrong. Look it up.
Person: I don't have to look it up, it's common knowledge.
Mule: No! No! No! No! No! No! No! EEEEAAAAAAUUU!!!!!! EEEEAAAAAAUUU!!!!!! EEEEAAAAAAUUU!!!!!!

Sorry, I had to. hahahaha XD

It's been nearly a month, but there hasn't been an official decision announced about Soulfly.

Unless I somehow missed it, but I've been keeping an eye on this thread.

So what's the word, if there is any?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:10 pm 

Thanatos79 wrote:
Hi my band post has been rejected because there is not proof of the release...ok how I can prove the existence of our demo in cd format? I can post pictures of myself with the copy of the demo in my hand?

Yeah, something like that.

Alexbarrerac
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:56 pm 

Hi
I was trying to add system of a down and slikpnot in to the encyclopedia an appeared a message box that said: "Warning: a band called "System of a Down" (United States) has been blacklisted! Your submission will not go through, unless your band comes from a different country; select the country in the drop-down to verify.
If you think this is an error, please ask in this forum thread. Thank you." please help me

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 pm 

Quote:
Hi, I was trying to add system of a down and slikpnot in to the encyclopedia an appeared a message box that said... ... please help me

Help with what? :lol: Neither of those bands are metal, and they don't belong on this site. They're blacklisted for damn good reasons.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 am 

Uneven Structure

1. Releases

• 8 (2009) (EP)
  • Februus (31st October 2011) (Full-length)

Spoiler: show

2. Metalness

Somehow, I get the feeling that the whole Meshuggah-influenced 'djent' concept is being rejected on sight as a trend/fad. I do hope that we're not disregarding the actual metal in the music itself in the process, but just in case:

Ambient/Groove/Progressive/Post-metal

Entire album's first disc streamed, officially and legally by their label, here.

3. Evidence

Official band website
Official MySpace
Official Facebook
Official Twitter
Basick Records Page (contains links to afore linked Bandcamp, Facebook, and Twitter pages, as well as links to various online merchants selling the album both digitally and physically, such as Amazon, iTunes, etc.)

See above for photograph of the release and streamable music.

Band is based in Metz, France (their Wikipedia also claims Sweden, but that's probably because Daniel Ädel, later of Vildhjarta, provided vocals before moving on, á la Anders Fridén with Dark Tranquillity back in the day). They have existed and remained active since 2008. Unless I missed something, there's very little, if at all, keeping them from being "metal" for the purposes of EM. They employ thick ambient layers throughout, but in the end, they are a metal band with ambient tendencies, not the other way around. They are also not among the many 'djent' bands incorporating heavy deathcore or other -core elements. None that I can hear, anyway (and I do like metalcore, don't care what anyone thinks). They do not focus on breakdowns and tend often toward gradual and/or repetitive buildup into a crescendo(s), much like Isis and Cult of Luna, albeit much more uptempo. In addition to this, they seem to be comfortable doing anything from the characteristic 'djent' powerchord to straight shredding (accompanied by double-kick bass drums). These elements are apparent throughout, but if I were to make suggestions on where to look, listen to "Awaken"/"Frost," "Quittance," and "Plenitude"/"Finale."

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Last edited by Schmengie on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AsmodeusUrloNero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 am 

Physical release first demo Urlo Nero - Abbi Fede

Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

SatanicProgDoomGrind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:33 pm 

Hello, was just wondering why Psudoku was blacklisted. I understand MA's standpoint on accepting grindcore bands, but Psudoku seems metal enough to me to be included here, there may not be much death metal influence but the riffs (including the keyboard riffs) are definitely metal ones, and the drumming could be considered "metal" as well. Also, the jazz influences don't seem to be more apparent than the metal anymore than Atheist's jazz influences are.
In any case, cheers.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 541  Next