Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
guitar_metal_777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:18 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGPaY5yQNH0

Intro is a perfect example. Or think of Kyuss sound. Something where I can get that fuzzy, distorted low chugging sound that has those interesting harmonics of fuzz and the like.

I have currently and Ibanez S series and a Blackstar HT-60.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 am 

In my experience, the path to fuzz is laden with bass. Bass effects, maybe even a bass amp? Try cranking the bass up on your guitar and your amp, you might actually get a better sound out of your current amp. Fiddle with the highs, too - and try turning the middle down.

Big Muff is often a good effect pedal, or if you've got a fair bit of money get a bass guitar distortion pedal, like black voodoo(?).

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:07 am 

First off, I don't know Ibanez guitars too well, but I don't see them used by stoner/sludge guitarists too often - they tend to be preferred for a treble and crunch, or a scooped sound.

Baroness like to play with pedals a lot, their studio sounds are partially due to them bringing tons of pedals into the studio and playing around with them. They tend to change their gear up regularly, not completely - part of the sound isn't just having the right gear and settings, but knowing how the stuff you like works, and how to put it together. They actually list some of the independent companies who make pedals they use in their album booklets.

Both guitarists use Fulltone OCD overdrive pedals through the types of amps that rock/sludge guys tend to like (Bad Cat, Matamp, Orange). I believe their preferred fuzz pedal is the Blackout Effectors Twosome - http://www.blackouteffectors.com/?page_id=499 They also mix a lot of standard pedals - analog and digital delay, reverb, echo, phaser, octave, some stuff with mini EQs - they give themselves a lot of tools to work with.

Kyuss' Josh Homme often used bass amps and/or cabs in the Kyuss days - I'd guess he used some sort of boost/OD/fuzz, and cut the treble. Bass cabs don't let a lot of the high frequencies through, and you can cut them out further. You can also do something similar with some Peavey amps - use some sort of boost/OD/fuzz going into it, boost the mids, cut the treble.
A bit of info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Homme#Kyuss-era_gear

Stoner/sludge guitarists tend to be gear nerds who like to tweak stuff a lot. I'd start off playing around with the EQ and gain on your amp, and look into some pedals, as well as how to set up and configure an array of pedals. Buying pedals can be an expensive habit, and there are lots of bad pedals out there. Do some research, and spend a lot of time learning how each setting on each pedals interacts with the amp and everything else in your setup. Start out by trying some sort of boost/OD/fuzz/tube screamer to put in front of the Blackstar amp. Something that gives a low-mid and mid boost is ideal.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:52 pm 

Very easy. 2 steps:

1. Mahogany guitar
2. Sunn/Orange/Matamp/Green amp

RabbitOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 pm 

http://gnarhval.bandcamp.com/track/this-perpetual-soma
I recorded this track with a Gibson V through an Orange Tiny Terror, using a Fuzz War (Death by Audio) and a Dunlop Crybaby.
I used the fuzz pedal for the bass track as well.
Don't get so caught up in finding a good guitar tone that you forget your bass tone. Sleep wouldn't be Sleep without that fuzzed out bass underneath the tube overdrive guitar sound.

guitar_metal_777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 am 

RabbitOfDoom wrote:
I recorded this track with a Gibson V through an Orange Tiny Terror, using a Fuzz War (Death by Audio) and a Dunlop Crybaby.
Don't get so caught up in finding a good guitar tone that you forget your bass tone. Sleep wouldn't be Sleep without that fuzzed out bass underneath the tube overdrive guitar sound.

Hey, you got some sweet sounds man. I'm in Chicago myself. We should jam sometime if you got the time.

As for stoner sludge sound, finding it was a lot easier than I thought. All I did was scoop the mids on the blackstar turn up the bass to about the 1-2 o clock position and treble to as far as could go. Pump the gain and the power tubes and downed tuned by guitar to A G C F A D. (I know Mastodon tuning lol). Now all I need is a decent fuzz pedal to dirty up the signal, and put my Morley wah in front and voila! I think I'm set. Dwarfcraft and Devi Ever looks pretty sexy right now as well...

JerryLeeEx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:30 pm 

A good neck pickup will do wonders for that kind of sound. Vintage output Duncans have awesome low tone capacity.

RabbitOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:14 pm 

guitar_metal_777 wrote:
RabbitOfDoom wrote:

Hey, you got some sweet sounds man. I'm in Chicago myself. We should jam sometime if you got the time.

Sounds rad. Especially if you play bass as well. We've been looking for a regular bassist for most of our time as a band.

If you're looking for a good fuzz pedal, I got mine from Chicago Music Exchange. They have a solid collection of pedals and they're a bit cooler than guitar center about letting you try a bunch of them out.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 am 

A lot of that typical sound that comes with doom/stoner metal comes from the bass guitar. Check out the song "Kingslayer" by Grand Magus for a perfect example. His guitar tone is good, but it's the huge bass underneath that makes it.

Reply to topic