Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 pm 

Has there been a verdict for Soulfly?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:33 am 

Stop asking, damn. You're afraid Max will stop sending you money to get his band here?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:50 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Stop asking, damn. You're afraid Max will stop sending you money to get his band here?

I haven't been pestering this time, geeze. I've brought up the topic once (12 days ago), and asked about an update once (which was a week ago).

So I take it no verdict yet?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 am 

Probably. It sucks, but it's metal.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Took the words out of my mouth. I was about to ask him this exact question a while back.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Creepshow_tonite
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:43 pm 

My band 'Rest': http://rest6911.bandcamp.com/ was recently submitted to the Metal Archives, and we have all the requirements, including a physical release (though extremely limited and self released) and, while we are grindcore, I've noticed that you accept groove metal bands as well, and we are heavily influenced by groove metal bands. I think you should appeal your decision, or, if you have the time, get more in depth as to how we are 'not a metal band'. If we aren't a metal band, what are we? We aren't mallcore, we aren't pop. Please shed light onto this subject and tell us exactly how we can get accepted onto this site.

Thanks,
Alex Cossette-Deck.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 pm 

Creepshow_tonite wrote:
while we are grindcore, I've noticed that you accept groove metal bands as well

I assume the moderators would say - You just said you are grindcore, as far as grindcore the rules are clear. Groove metal has its place but then again grindcore isnt groove metal.

"Grindcore (and all its variants; noise, crust, etc) with little to zero metal influence (ex: Anal Cunt, Libido Airbag)" - Unless its death metal influenced like Carcass, which according to your few tracks doesnt really reflect that.

I feel that many bands out there want to have the privilege of seeing their name in MA but lack the understanding that this site is more about metal music rather than heavy music.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:07 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Probably. It sucks, but it's metal.

okay, but how many other mods need to admit this before the band will finally be added? Or is it really just 1 single admin on here that is blocking the road? If it's only because there's one mod in charge of giving a 'GO' and still is unwilling to give permission for the creation of Soulfly's MA page (because of some mysterious grudge he might be having against Max Cavalera), then i guess democracy has let us down..

I think it's pretty sad.. MA might aswell go delete the pages from Sepultura, Machine Head, Lamb Of God, Chimaira, Pantera, Anthrax, Metallica, etc.. If they want to be consistent.. (Because that's what they are trying to do, right ???)

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:55 pm 

I'm sure when the moderators make a decision, no matter how long it takes, they'll at least have the courtesy to announce it here in this thread.

Don't see why it would be a 'no' for Soulfly since Enslaved is metal from start to finish.

MA is not a democracy though, the final decision is up to the administrators, and it's two people - Hellblazer and Morrigan. They own this site. This is more or less their private property and all of the other members are guests.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 pm 

There's a bit more to it than that, Goatfangs.

When it comes to issues like this one, admittedly we can be a bit Entish - but that`s a necessary thing. Ultimately, this is one of those cases that ought to require a fair bit of consensus among the mods, and certainly the founders, before going ahead with a decision. Give us time. The longer we`re able to discuss, the more solid and firm the outcome.

Don`t decry us for wanting to discuss this, and not be too hasty; good, lasting decisions don`t come with haste.

skinticket
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm 

I tried submitting Aaron Turners new band, Split Cranium. It's heavy as fuck, but was rejected because I didn't tag it as 'metal'. Do you guys even listen to the bands before approving/rejecting them?

Give this a listen, and tell me it doesn't deserve to be in here: http://splitcranium.bandcamp.com/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:39 pm 

skinticket wrote:
I tried submitting Aaron Turners new band, Split Cranium. It's heavy as fuck, but was rejected because I didn't tag it as 'metal'. Do you guys even listen to the bands before approving/rejecting them?

Give this a listen, and tell me it doesn't deserve to be in here: http://splitcranium.bandcamp.com/

This isn't hardcore punk archives or heavy music archives.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:45 pm 

Dude, if you tag a band as hardcore punk, there's no need to listen to it. Thank you for your honesty, I appreciate it, but if even the submitter doesn't consider a band metal, I'd say there's something wrong with the submission's fundamental logic. And no, tagging it as metal would not yield a different result, it's the music that counts; this is the Metal Archives.

skinticket
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:40 pm 

I would let it go there, but concidering the fact that you have bands like Dark Sanctuary (Darkwave/Neoclassical), Vàli (Neofolk) and so on, you obviously stretch "metal" very far. Notice that none of them are tagged 'metal' either.

I love that kind of music, but it's about as metal as Madonna. I'm not saying you should remove them, I'm just asking you, please, to be as open minded towards any submission as you were when you approved artists like that.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:28 pm 

The Rules wrote:
Additionally, there will be some non-metal bands featured on the site that we feel are still part of the metal scene despite not being metal themselves (usually darkwave, ambient, neo-classical and/or folk bands, examples being Mortiis, Elend, Autumn Tears, Stille Volk, etc). These bands are selected by the moderators in an admittedly arbitrary fashion, and their submission by normal users is discouraged. Please bear with us on this.

It's a controversial rule, but it's been there for as long as I remember.

NobbyNobbs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:51 pm 

The band Werian (Germany) was rejected for being described as drone/ambient, and the Mod asked for samples...
www.myspace.com/Werian

Well, I guess it's a borderline decision, if it could be classified as black/doom or drone.
So if you feel like not including the band, fine with me, otherwise tell me to resubmit.
Cheers!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:29 pm 

I saw the lack for samples and that what I read could be described as drone/ambient.
I've listened to it. You may re-submit.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 pm 

Hmm... Born of Osiris is not in metallum anymore. Sad, but, oh well...

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

AlcoholicMayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 pm 

Hails, I added a band called Uptight Bastard from Greece, but it got rejected because it is not a metal band.
So please check this: http://www.4shared.com/file/uB5IFm-a/up ... _-_st.html

I do not think they are not a metal band!
Thanks

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:51 pm 

AlcoholicMayhem wrote:
Hails, I added a band called Uptight Bastard from Greece, but it got rejected because it is not a metal band.
So please check this: http://www.4shared.com/file/uB5IFm-a/up ... _-_st.html

I do not think they are not a metal band!
Thanks

Sounds way more punk than metal. I agree with the rejection.

AlcoholicMayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:48 pm 

That made me laugh! Ok thanks for the answer

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:32 pm 

Hi guys, trying to add Desolate Winds from the uk but it is stopping me, it is coming upp as 'blacklisted'. Debut ep has just been released on cd through Lone Vigil Recordings.

Last edited by STORMM on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
McBeverage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:37 pm 

I as well am trying to add a band, they're called Angel Grave and they're from Indiana, US. Got the "they've been blacklisted" popup. Tried searching, and unless I'm doing something completely wrong search-wise, there are no posts about them. They just released their EP yesterday. Thanks!

"Proof of Metal" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLN_sGY4rZc , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvCMb5VhI0I
"Physical Proof" -
Spoiler: show

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm 

McBeverage wrote:
I as well am trying to add a band, they're called Angel Grave and they're from Indiana, US. Got the "they've been blacklisted" popup. Tried searching, and unless I'm doing something completely wrong search-wise, there are no posts about them. They just released their EP yesterday. Thanks!

"Proof of Metal" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLN_sGY4rZc , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvCMb5VhI0I
"Physical Proof" -
Spoiler: show

I think the mods would tell you that its not a physical proof, if you burn a few songs on a blank CD and write on top Angel Grave doesn't make it a release. A physical proof is an album that is white on the inside and has artwork on the other that was printed in a printing shop not a crappy hp printer at home. Be prepared to get a really big denied message for your submission.

McBeverage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:26 pm 

@Yahko - While I'm not entirely sure about how strict the moderators are concerning the interpretation of the rules outlined in the thread's OP, or any of those things you mentioned, the rules state
Quote:
1. Releases

The MA only accepts bands that have a physical release. That means that the band must have a CD, a tape, a vinyl, or a release in some other physical format available. MP3s will not do, as won't videos on YouTube or MySpace. Online "releases" are a thing of today among some people, yes, but we require at least one physical release. Also, the release must have been physically released by the time of the band's submission. Even if the release comes out tomorrow, the band will not be accepted until then.

While I'll admit it's not the highest quality of packaging etc, it is a recording in a solid format, and I've seen bands with much shoddier (granted, that's subjective, but yeah) packaging, so this should get through. Of course, I'm not exactly a respected member here so I might get shat on by the mods, but meh. Guess we'll find out.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:33 am 

Yahko wrote:
I think the mods would tell you that its not a physical proof, if you burn a few songs on a blank CD and write on top Angel Grave doesn't make it a release. A physical proof is an album that is white on the inside and has artwork on the other that was printed in a printing shop not a crappy hp printer at home. Be prepared to get a really big denied message for your submission.

What? It's not true that a band must have a professionally printed CD to get on the website. Sure, with a CD-r it can be a bit harder to prove physical distribution to the public, but once that's out of the way, a CD-r with a markered title in an album with a photocopied cover is no less valid than something that was professionally printed... not to mention that it better embodies metal's DIY attitude. ;)

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 am 

McBeverage wrote:
While I'll admit it's not the highest quality of packaging etc, it is a recording in a solid format

Nobody's asking you to have a professionally replicated and printed CD to get on this site, mate. :) But there've been times when people have tried fooling us with shoddily labelled CDrs with no packaging or album art whatsoever, so in cases like those, it's worthy of suspicion on our part to press users for further proof.

McBeverage wrote:
Of course, I'm not exactly a respected member here so I might get shat on by the mods, but meh. Guess we'll find out.

That has absolutely nothing to do with evaluating proof of physical release. While there's a common illusion that more "well-known" contributors are judged more leniently than newer members, the truth is that the "well-known" members have submitted enough bands enough times to know the routine, so they know what the moderators are expecting to see in a submission. They need to supply the same evidence that every other member does - photographs, links to a distro marking the release as available, links to posts or blog entries by bands announcing the release, pages to Facebook events for album launch parties (usually showing comments by fans asking how much for a copy of their CD), etc...

Yahko wrote:

That's... actually a complete load of crap. :facepalm: Bands can burn a bunch of CDs and distribute them at gigs without any ornamentations and that can still qualify... so long as the submitter proves that they WERE distributed (typically by showing a link to an event that mentions the CD's distribution, as explained above).

ScienceofMetal19
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 am 

Soen is a progressive metal band which features members of Death and Opeth. It is clear that is "metal enough" to be accepted and I don't know why have been rejected...? It has physical proof, official band website and so on... Why have been rejected? and I would like to quote the same argument regarding band Engel from sweden.

McBeverage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
McBeverage wrote:
Of course, I'm not exactly a respected member here so I might get shat on by the mods, but meh. Guess we'll find out.

That has absolutely nothing to do with evaluating proof of physical release. While there's a common illusion that more "well-known" contributors are judged more leniently than newer members, the truth is that the "well-known" members have submitted enough bands enough times to know the routine, so they know what the moderators are expecting to see in a submission. They need to supply the same evidence that every other member does - photographs, links to a distro marking the release as available, links to posts or blog entries by bands announcing the release, pages to Facebook events for album launch parties (usually showing comments by fans asking how much for a copy of their CD), etc...

That's refreshing to know; the reason I mentioned that in my post was because I've been to numerous forums in my day and many are disproportionately cruel to new people. Thanks!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:48 pm 

ScienceofMetal19 wrote:
Soen is a progressive metal band which features members of Death and Opeth. It is clear that is "metal enough" to be accepted and I don't know why have been rejected...? It has physical proof, official band website and so on... Why have been rejected? and I would like to quote the same argument regarding band Engel from sweden.

Soen is on the progressive rock side of the spectrum. Their acceptability/rejection has already been discussed among the staff. Engel were deleted again in 2010 for being "too alternative and nu-metal based".

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Yahko wrote:

That's... actually a complete load of crap. :facepalm: Bands can burn a bunch of CDs and distribute them at gigs without any ornamentations and that can still qualify... so long as the submitter proves that they WERE distributed (typically by showing a link to an event that mentions the CD's distribution, as explained above).

I guess I'm wrong here and I take my words back because I assume that a release should look more official. I wonder if a band can burn a few songs on an cd-r take a photo of some landscape and Photoshop your bands logo and make it look like a legit release, make a Facebook page and announce a release date, 10 friends would comment how cool is it and that they are going to buy the CD at a St Patrick's Party at some pub/club.

MA would consider this as a legit release ? It looks like quite an easy way to release a CD which technically cant not be verified, you can convince a few friends to post on your Facebook page...... and as far as I know MA do not accept iTunes releases which to me look as official.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 pm 

Frankly, if people put in that much effort just to get accepted into MA, then that is just sad.

But in reality we do not function as automatons. It's never as simple as to judging a band by its "cover," or by judging all bands based on the same evidence. If your evidence seems flaky at best, then we will request better evidence. The same is true for proving metalness, and for reviewing bands that have somehow fallen through the cracks and gotten accepted into MA. It's the great thing about having a fluid, flexible online encyclopedia where nothing is written in stone, and all bands can be judged and judged again at any time.

I've heard the excuse that it's easy to fake a physical release. I've heard it from other mods, also, and some chagrin at the idea of legitimately accepting projects which put such little effort in the release of their works. At times, it even irks me on a personal level. But MA was never about being a judge on presentation, but being a judge on music and (in our case) on the permanence of that music (which for us, has been the reliance on the physical, tangible medium). Don't get me wrong, some individuals have actually faked info, and have been successful temporarily in their pursuit to get onto MA, but that really is pathetic behaviour.

pakodreher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:13 pm 

The band PRIMITIVE (Venezuela) was rejected because it didn't had proof of physical release....

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Primitive/3540344089

Here is a link with a picture of the physical release:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Primitive/3540344089

If you need another proof, please let me know.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm 

pakodreher wrote:
Here is a link with a picture of the physical release: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Primitive/3540344089
If you need another proof, please let me know.

Did you mean to include the same link twice? Because you just linked to the same page...

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw the link to the photograph in the submission notes. :)

ossificator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 pm 

My submission of INNER CONFLICT got rejected. The mods ask me to provide some song samples if possible.
Honestly: I can't. It's a demotape from 1992. I don't have one of those clever machines that play directly into my PC so I can digitalize tapes. At least not yet. All I can do is scan the whole inlay and upload it, and take pictures of the cassette and case and inlay.
Would that be acceptable? Because if not, I won't spend my time on that, but rather wait until I have one of them clever machines, you know?
Cheers!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:20 pm 

Is there any reference to this band in a fanzine (even a scan of a tiny blurb would be good) or something like that anywhere? I see (from the deletion log) that the musicians were in other bands, perhaps these musicians were interviewed at some point and refer to their old demo band?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:28 pm 

I don't really doubt that it's metal. The band also looks real enough -from the cover scan already provided, e.g.- but I just wanted to try to get some actual music. I understand your situation. You can scan the whole thing like you said and also do what Morrigan suggested if possible. Any additional information helps. After that it should be okay to resubmit.

ossificator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:31 pm 

I interviewed Christoph Dobberstein for my own fanzine back in 1996, but that was already for Under Black Clouds and not for its predecessor band, Inner Conflict. Anyway, I'll try to find more proof, but that will be hard. Complete cover scans and photos are no problem. Thanks for the quick replies!

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:29 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
awia wrote:
undoubtedly metal.

Those songs are, yes. But I had a listen to the other tracks from that same album, and they didn't strike me as very metallic at all. Safe to say they straddled the line between alternative rock and metal too much, and since they outnumbered the metal tracks mentioned above, they're remaining blacklisted until the band releases a less borderline album.

Now if every song on that album was like the ones you posted, yes, they would be deemed acceptable. Sadly, this isn't the case.

Returning to Dir en Grey, their first releases are most alternative rock, but since Withering to Death and The Marrow of a Bone they have been shifting to a more "metal enough" sound, and Dum Spiro Spero is a complete "metal enough" album, give it a listen. This case of evolution is the same that occurred with Soulfly in their last albums.

mortelune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:04 pm 

I have been asked to provide song samples for the submission of Maléfices (Can). Can the responsible person send me a PM with his email, and I will gladly do so. Thanks.

Otherwise is there another way to fix this? My submission was first rejected because there was no proof of a physical release. Then, I sent link (www.productionsheretiques.com) where the release is clearly available, and then I am asked to send song samples....

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 541  Next