Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:11 pm 

diamondfamicom wrote:
regardless of what it sounds like, I swear it is not dsbm.

Hahaha. I love DSBM, but it's funny how it has become a dirty word for some due to the plethora of shitty bedroom bands doing shittier and shittier versions of the same thing (myself included, heh). Really dug your stuff though, sounds good- mix, production and song writing. I'm hoping you'll give it a proper name though, 'diamond famicom' doesn't quite work with it.

Oh and many thanks to the people some posts back who were into my bands latest video, hope yous guys enjoyed the album. We've got a new video coming out next week and it's more on the post-punky side- dark, driving, moody, plus some big reverby guitar leads. I'll post it up when it's out.

diamondfamicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 pm 

I just don't want to call it dsbm, because I don't want to promote suicide and destructive thought patterns.

diamondfamicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:38 pm 

also, thanks for the nice words. I'm only calling it diamond famicom, because it's a branch off my other project Super Famicom.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:59 am 

diamondfamicom wrote:
I started a 2nd solo project of only ambient/melodic black metal. I have 7 songs recorded and a split tape coming out in June with a band from south carolina, called Small Woods. You can hear a couple of my non-finally mixed tracks here
http://youtu.be/jqtpgafn77o
http://youtu.be/Cl1u02aJqBo
regardless of what it sounds like, I swear it is not dsbm.

I listened to "The Sadness I Put On You" and I'm really enjoying it! The riffing is nice and dense, and reminds me a bit of Walknut, actually. Give me a shout when it's all finished, I'd be more than happy to order a physical copy :thumbsup:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:48 pm 

My band has finally acquired a new guitarist after at least six months of auditions and practices with various guys. His attitude is great and he's putting a great stamp on our old songs that may further warrant re-recordings in the near future. At any rate, we're hoping to get things tight enough for us to start playing shows next month and to get an EP's worth of new material recorded and released by the end of the year.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm 

Wasn't able to finish anything for the challenge, but it got me to start writing some nice, morbid Black/Death tunes (with Doom sections, and lots of OSDM influence), which I've been working on more extensively for the past few days. Gonna use them in this band I'm forming with a buddy of mine...

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:18 pm 

Just practiced Dream Theater's ''Innocence Faded'' with my singing coach. The high vocal section is fun to do, though challening; my range is there, but I just have to find the right tones. Guess I'll sooner or later nail it. :)

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:08 pm 

Have two songs already down for my new band, wrote another already and going to finish writing a fourth one eventually tonight. Then going to try and learn Iron Fist by Motorhead.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:02 pm 

didn't plan on it but I ended up at my shed and wrote 2 SG songs and 3 54R songs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:02 pm 

didn't plan on it but I ended up at my shed and wrote 2 SG songs and 3 54R songs.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:49 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Just practiced Dream Theater's ''Innocence Faded'' with my singing coach. The high vocal section is fun to do, though challening; my range is there, but I just have to find the right tones. Guess I'll sooner or later nail it. :)

What do you think about John Arch's vocal lines? I find them extremely challenging but excellent.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:01 pm 

Finally got around to clearing some space and assembling my recording setup with microphones on the amp, my old desktop computer as a stand for the mbox, and a trash can as a stand for my laptop. A few years ago I moved my amp from my basement to my bedroom, since I had a desktop computer. I don't think I could record in my basement these days since my furnace is pretty noisy, and guitars get dusty down there and it's uncomfortable to play.

So I came up with a riff and did a one-shot recording to see how it sounds. I'm terrible at programming drums so they don't sync up to the guitar. This took about 30 minutes to record, I didn't EQ it at all. I like the guitar tone for the first shot micing up - it's a solid state practice amp :D
http://soundcloud.com/stevemetal/sound-check

I need to cut around ~12k hz, and the high frequencies sound like shit due to the crappy drum sim I use (Xpand2)

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 pm 

triggerhappy wrote:
Transcribed some VGM over the past few days, thinking of starting a VGM cover band, like Powerglove and all that.

Also decided on the direction I'm going for the 'tone cluster band'. It's gonna be roughly along the lines of Discordance Axis, but maybe with a few slams here and there.

Oh boy, covering VGM has always been on my list of things to do.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:25 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
colin040 wrote:

What do you think about John Arch's vocal lines? I find them extremely challenging but excellent.

Hah, it would be fun to try ''The Apparition'' someday, but yeah, it's hard. Can't say I love his voice but I can see why people praise him a lot.

EDIT: Tried Dream Theater's ''Voices''. Seems like a very fun song to sing; has some louder, aggressive vocal lines (which I'm about to attempt once my voice is well warmed up :p), some softer singing and some general clean, high stuff. Not pushing hard and letting it go naturally really helps.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:12 pm 

My band just put out a new video for one of our darker, more riffy and post-punky songs. Not quite as elaborate as the last one, but we wanted to try to take the basic concept of a performance video and do something to make it visually interesting. Check it-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xEQjN1_eS4

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:49 pm 

pretty productive afternoon.

did vocals for 2 Yzordderrex songs and wrote and recorded 5 54R songs.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:37 pm 

Currently in Eternium, and almost done with the demo recordings! This Saturday I should finish the next track.
Then I'm off to find a CD press...
Artwork should be done soon too.

If anyone cares:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHeGlboZcY - Aura Sentium 9:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkKxzT6sXE - Aura Amethyst 5:10

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:58 pm 

sounds pretty good.. I'd actually turn the guitars up a bit more though.

StellarGraves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 pm 

Working on a demo that will be called "Steller Graves".. Kind of a Black:Death:Ambient mix with variety of extreme vocals.
4 track will exist, on of them is a short ambient track, and the last song is a cover of "Life Eternal" by Mayhem!

Currently recording all guitar parts with help from 3 guitarist and the next stage will be vocal recordings.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:21 pm 

Did vocals for 2 yzordderrex songs to finish up that split

wrote and recorded 3 more 54R songs to finish up a side of a split.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:25 pm 

I got back to the project.

A Benevolent Tyrant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 pm 

I have been writing some Jazz things, in that it has Jazz leanings I don't think it is very classicist in their composition but I am glad there is difference, a sort of distinguishing feature between myself and, say, Wayne Shorter. Today marks the first day of writing Metal songs which is refreshing. Trying to figure out a method for how I used to write my riffs, I just do them by ear really and try to write it down but at the same time I feel like getting more methodical, write with intention, like concepts.
I have a band, a new group; we are deciding on a name. Hired a new drummer; a kid who really digs Dream Theater so I feel a little terrible giving him such boring-as-fuck parts and what we play isn't exactly the most melodic or remotely Dream Theater. He digs it though, so with the new writing I am throwing in a few quicker paced numbers and working on rhythms. So far it's a quartet with two vocalists, myself and a fellow guitarist. Hey, you know I feel really good about the music we're making right now. It's dark, it's noisy, riffs feel like never ending spirals and it's dense while still affording room for the songs to be heard and understood. Plus it's fucking brutal!
I go on a bit but if my recording guy can get us some time to record the demo, we can get in a studio easy with how it's working out!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:34 pm 

hopefully it's interesting as you describe. post it here when you get something up.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm 

didn't have much in mind today.

went and wrote and recorded 3 SG songs. recorded 4 songs for a band I've been meaning to resurrect since 03/4 basically straight up broken sounding Naked City sucking off jazz grind

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:03 am 

I finally released my thrash EP. Now I'm just trying to get it out there. Kind of a pain in the ass, since I'm just a solo musician and in the military, stationed overseas (Korea) so playing live is out of the option. As much as I love thrash, this is my last thrash work, and now I'm switching over to melodic death metal. I've got a bunch of that written, and I'm just trying to finish more and make it better and better. I've been in kind of a songwriting slump lately, but I got some work done tonight, so that's good.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:54 pm 

writing some raw-as-fuck grindcore/mincecore/noisecore stuff. Anal Cunt/Sore Throat worship.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 pm 

With my doom band, we've got one track pretty much done, which should be about 10 minutes, and we've started writing a second.

With the post-metal band, we've got one fully complete track, two that are about halfway done, and we jammed out two last week that we should be finalising soon.

And with the Viking metal-ish band, we've now got two tracks fully written, one being quite power metally, and the other one going from ceilidh parts to full on black metal blasting... And yet it all fits together quite well.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:18 pm 

StinkyPenis wrote:
writing some raw-as-fuck grindcore/mincecore/noisecore stuff. Anal Cunt/Sore Throat worship.

good. there should be more stuff like sore throat in this world.

just got the masters for the 3 songs we're putting on our ep that'll be out in May. really pleased with the end result and can't wait to get these fuckers out. i think we were able to capture the "live" vibe we strive for and still have everything audible on an individual level... now we just need to master the rest or them and put out more records.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 pm 

have had a project for a while in mind since my last bad/first band project sort of faded away, still learning and practicing alot, but stuck deciding weather or not to have a few different project, or try to make everything I play come together some way as one project, it comes down to sludgy black metal sort of stuff, but varies between viking/pirate/nature and some punkish sludge, im thinking as I progress with jazz guitar lessons over the next few weeks it will come together a bit better, and I might be able to have a proggy pirate/nature/mythology style.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:02 am 

Weird how Sore Throat hate crossover stuff. They did not like D.R.I. or Billy Milano or anything like that. But yeah going to be very anti-liberal/hippies. A lot of songs have the word fag in the title. I'm one of the few individuals who are trying to put Rochester back on the spot for punk. A lot of bands have become pussified rock bands now. Very upsetting.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:31 am 

I just found out today that my black metal band will be featured on the upcoming Forbidden Records "Purveyors of the Underground" compilation. Other bands that will be featured include Mysteriarch, Adumus, Dismemberment, Cernunnos!, Ophiuchus, Morbus 666, and more. If you're into black metal, check out my page.
www.facebook.com/OfficialOakmoon

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 am 

We started writing stuff for a new demo with Hellige, I'll be writing down some lyrics soon and posting them in the proper thread also to get some feedback and corrections soon.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:44 am 

This stuff is extremely sick Garth.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:55 pm 

Thanks Stinky, shame on me though, didn't do shit today, slept a lot haha

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm 

Trying out a second guitarist. Until now, we haven't bothered to find one since our previous left in 2007.
Got a rough mix on our new demo today as well. Cover is almost done, it just needs a title.
Going to try out a new vocalist as well and then we're ready for new adventures!

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

Had a big practise with the doom band today, we've got one song completely sorted and sounding great. We also started working on a new one, which switches between a Reverend Bizarre-esque galloping riff and another riff that's very similar in style to Ghost... It's pretty awesome.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:10 pm 

Trying to sell all of my instruments and stuff.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 pm 

Boooo!!! You hard up for cash or just losing interest?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:49 pm 

I'm hoping to raise enough money for a custom guitar by summer, also trying to keep my inventory simple and usable, i.e. quality not quantity.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:04 pm 

Oh, that's cool. When you said you were selling 'all' your shit it sounded rather final.

I’m also in the process of saving up, want to refit my home studio. Decided that if I was gonna get a new computer I also want new monitors, and new mixer, better mic and all that. It’s a fair bit of money, but all my shit is +5 years old, one of my monitors has blown, and the mixer is pretty battered so I figure it’s time for an overhaul.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 185  Next