Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 pm 

Just discovered Blaze through HRR. Recent Japanese heavy, but with a much more European vibe than a Japanese one. Ie. it's not cheesy, no goofy accent either. It rocks, it's energetic and passionate, love it.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:14 pm 

Could someone please explain to me why the first couple of Crimson Glory albums are so fucking awesome?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm 

Because they pair up incredibly classy riffs and songwriting with one of the greatest vocalists ever known to mankind? I'm still vastly partial to the debut, but I'm beginning to see where people prefer Transcendence. I just can't get enough of the s/t, especially that omnipresent bass playing.
....MAAAAYDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Comrades of the Heavy/Speed/Power: Serpent's Knight compilation that SKR put out, y/n? I sampled a few songs last night and really loved the blown out demo-sound of both albums. I actually think I prefer whoever the vocalist AFTER Dane is, he sounds way more unhinged and caustic. I saw DRD's review, just wondering if anyone else had any strong opinions one way or the other.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 pm 

I definitely prefer the s/t to Transcendence, though both rule. The debut is just way more consistent.

I just listened to Conception's In Your Multitude for the first time in a while, and it's still as awesome as ever. Fucking hell, why did Roy Khan leave them for Kamelot?

"I'm a new messiah,
Won't you cry a tear for me?
I absorb your sleepless nights
I'm a black horizon,
Solitude in chains
Always in your way
'Cause this is my laaaaaaaaaand!
"
<Awesome Riff Here>

:headbang:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 pm 

The selftitled debut and Trascendence just strike me as completely impeccable albums. I can't find a single flaw in them, no matter how much I nitpick. Actually, those two albums belong to the select group of traditional heavy/power metal records I'd call, most of all, "beautiful".

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 pm 

Midnight was indeed a phenomenal vocalist. The part in Where Dragons Rule where he belts out ISSS THEREE A REASSONNNNNNNNNNNNN!! Is in the top 5 epic moments of mankind.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:30 pm 

Transcendence is the better of the two for me. I think that one's more consistent, although if I had my way I wouldn't have put "Lonely" and "Burning Bridges" right next to each other. Ten minutes of ballads right in a row is a little much. But it's a great album.

And Conception is great, but Kamelot is the better band overall. The Black Halo and Epica alone testify to that. But I know Oblarg won't agree with me being the Tore Ostby fanboy he is...:lol:

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:56 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Midnight was indeed a phenomenal vocalist. The part in Where Dragons Rule where he belts out ISSS THEREE A REASSONNNNNNNNNNNNN!! Is in the top 5 epic moments of mankind.

The scream and following solo in Eternal World causes my brain to implode in orgasmic joy. I FUCKING LOVE TRANSCENDENCE.

Ahem. Yes, it's pretty good.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:23 pm 

Midnight doesn't hold a candle to Mr. TIM BAKER!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Midnight doesn't hold a candle to Mr. TIM BAKER!

Yes, yes he does.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:31 pm 

Tim Baker's vocals are secretely great. In fact, they're too great. They are the aural equivalent of seeing some cosmic being from beyond the stars. Your mind can't fathom the sheer alieness so it replaces it with something more understandable. In Baker's case, it gets replaced by the shittiest vocals ever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 pm 

lol

It's always funny going back to Crimson Glory and hearing the glorious Midnight, I tend to forgot how aggressive he actually is most of the time. His precision and crystal clear delivery is just inhuman though. Mindblowing. One of the best forever. If he did more I might consider him my #1.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm 

Heard the new Shok Paris track that came out on iTunes. I'm surprised to say the least. They've modernized the sound a bit. The stoner rock influences are cool though I'm not sure about the rapping over the bridge.

Just kidding. It's just good ol' USPM.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:52 pm 

Haha nice try, I heard them play "Those Eyes" when I saw them in December. It was awesome. They also played another one, "Symphony of the Sea", about vikings, also really cool.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 am 

Fuck yeah, can't wait.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:14 am 

So, new interview with Mark Shelton http://www.lesswankery.morenecromansy.c ... Shark.html

That Hellwell project sure sounds tasty. Shadow Kingdom Records seems to be putting it out - was on the final mix/master a week ago apparently.

In other realms, I'm going to be seeing Iced Earth (and Warbringer and Symphony X) this Friday. Iced Earth's setlist is enjoyable enough from checking it all out, but I can't say I have much interest in the other two, haha.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:50 am 

^ Yeah, I saw 'em live in Seattle a couple weeks back and they played a pretty decent setlist. I was pretty bummed they didn't have "Stormrider" but "Dante's Inferno" kind of made up for it. Plus, if you haven't heard Stu Block live yet, holy hell that man has a set of pipes.

- John Calvin.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 am 

Manilla Road mixed with Deep Purple!?!?!

Mark Shelton better not be playing with my emotions right now...

Thanks for the link to the interview. A two and a half hour set at Hammer of Doom? I'd be thrilled if they played even half that long at this upcoming festival Count_V and I are supposed to be going to.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 am 

Yeah, that sounds totally rad. It's the Shark so it should be, though. Spooky keys are always a good idea!

I love how Shark stands up for the unique sound on MR's newer records. :metal: The only people who complained where the ones who stole it off the internet and never bought the CD/LP. Weird production is the best.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:01 am 

Honestly I thought he kind of phrased that question like a dick head. As if it was OBVIOUS that something was wrong with the production. There's just not. It has a very natural old and warm sound. These are all things I want with my Manilla Road. I love that they aren't afraid to experiment with different production/mixing ideas. I love how Atlantis Rising, despite the theme, has the most bone-dry crunchy guitar tone...

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 pm 

Yeah, that whole question and answer made me laugh. Especially how Mark was just straight up with saying how they must have downloaded that [awful] vinyl rip that was floating around before anything else and cast their judgement based on that. I know that I very much saw that in action and it was quite silly.

And I'm considering going to that Warriors of Metal festival myself, Jonpo, if that's the one you mean.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:15 pm 

Yep, that's the one. Seems like we might have a decent little contingent of MA posters. Me and Count_V should be there, FSM, you, possibly Ortab.

I'll give you guys the same warning I gave him: if a grown man crying over music makes you uncomfortable you're going to want to put some space between us once Manilla Road takes the stage! I'm ready to fan the fuck out.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:53 pm 

I might be going to that, as well. Manilla Road and Forte at the same festival? Yes, please.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:24 pm 

if that fest looked more like Ragnarokkr I'd be there, but as it is there's only a few bands I've even heard of...

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Yep, that's the one. Seems like we might have a decent little contingent of MA posters. Me and Count_V should be there, FSM, you, possibly Ortab.

I'll give you guys the same warning I gave him: if a grown man crying over music makes you uncomfortable you're going to want to put some space between us once Manilla Road takes the stage! I'm ready to fan the fuck out.

Would certainly be rad to meet up and such.

And I'd likely end up the same way for Manilla Road, haha.

Nahsil wrote:
if that fest looked more like Ragnarokkr I'd be there, but as it is there's only a few bands I've even heard of...

Ragnarokkr certainly looks appealing as well - Brocas Helm, Slauter Xstroyes (without John Stewart, granted) and Virgin Steele are all bands that I enjoy a great deal, and Borrowed Time are pretty cool as well, though they're playing both it seems.

However, Manilla Road are one of my absolute favorite bands, so that alone is quite a draw. Helstar are pretty cool, too. And then I'm a fan of Argus, Borrowed Time, Twisted Tower Dire and Sinister Realm and have heard of a few of the others.

Both look pretty awesome, but Manilla Road being as important to me as they are makes it an easier decision.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 am 

As of right now I think the plan is to hit up both. Solstafir pretty much nailed my thoughts on the issue though: its Manilla fucking Road! Even if there wasn't one other band I liked I would still be there with bells on.

Between these two fests this is shaping up to be the biggest concert-going year of my life.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:04 am 

I might be at WoM too. I think I could die happy after seeing Manilla Road live.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:23 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Slauter Xstroyes (without John Stewart, granted).

Yikes, I glanced over this little tidbit last night. That's a pretty crushing blow to their sound I would imagine. I mean, they're still one of my favorite bands of all time and of course I'm pumped to see them but he's just such a fucking force of nature behind the microphone. I can't imagine who they would find to replace him that could pull off all the little nuances and flavor he brings to a song. Who is going to say "this force they call...truuuly evil" the way he does? Fucking nobody.

I'm still blown away every time I put on Winter Kill by how DEVELOPED everything sounds. I don't know if they were older than your average metal band at the time but it feels like they approached their song writing from a more 70s perspective, always with a few twists, turns, and a logical conclusion.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 pm 

If I had the money to attend WoM, Ragnarokkr and MDF my life would be complete. As it is I'll probably have to settle for Paganfest.

:ugh:

I know it's irrelevant to this thread, but the North American lineup is SO HORRIBLY INFERIOR to the European.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 pm 

There are some recent live videos on youtube with the current guy if you want to judge for yourself, Jonpo. But nobody is John Stewart besides John Stewart, of course. And yeah, developed is a really good word to use for their stuff.

I certainly wouldn't mind going to both Warriors of Metal and Ragnarokkr. Really unsure if I want to be spending that much money.

And I'll give a brief agreement about Paganfest's NA lineup being awful and Europe's being better.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:19 am 

Wow, Manilla Road playing in the States? Damn... not sure I can make it with that date, but if I'm not tempted!!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Slauter Xstroyes (without John Stewart, granted).

Yikes, I glanced over this little tidbit last night. That's a pretty crushing blow to their sound I would imagine. I mean, they're still one of my favorite bands of all time and of course I'm pumped to see them but he's just such a fucking force of nature behind the microphone. I can't imagine who they would find to replace him that could pull off all the little nuances and flavor he brings to a song. Who is going to say "this force they call...truuuly evil" the way he does? Fucking nobody.

Man, I really wish Stewart did more, or Slauter had more material in general. Amazing stuff. Energy Vampires isn't bad, but Stewart really fits the weirder stuff perfectly... he would've been perfect in some tech/prog stuff.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:27 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
The selftitled debut and Trascendence just strike me as completely impeccable albums. I can't find a single flaw in them, no matter how much I nitpick. Actually, those two albums belong to the select group of traditional heavy/power metal records I'd call, most of all, "beautiful".

my thoughts exactly...have YET to hear anythings that tops those two

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:59 pm 

However, Manilla Road are one of my absolute favorite bands, so that alone is quite a draw. Helstar are pretty cool, too. And then I'm a fan of Argus, Borrowed Time, Twisted Tower Dire and Sinister Realm and have heard of a few of the others.

Both look pretty awesome, but Manilla Road being as important to me as they are makes it an easier decision.

I would be willing to dish out a grand or two in my bank account just to go over to America to see all those acts in a single event, even if that would lead me to being skint. Certainly worth it but I expect Manilla Road and Argus will make an appearance in the UK in the near future. All it takes is asking them on Facebook or somewhere about possible live shows.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:04 pm 

suleiman wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

How about that "Strange & Beautiful"?

:wink: :wink: :wink:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:20 pm 

So, Asgard (Ita) is fucking awesome. Sounds like USPM/German speed metal + John Cyriis on vocals. Listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdBgi4_UPI

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:44 pm 

Good find Failsafe. That link put me in the mood for some good old power/speed metal again. This winter has pretty much been a thrash, black, and metalpunk season on ym end so it is pretty nostalgic to hear actual singing again :lol:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:52 am 

The Cyriis comparison is definitely pretty funny and accurate.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:01 am 

Quote:

Quote:

well, its almost like another band entirely...the first time i heard it i was sure i knew what it was but couldnt put my finger on it,.....big let down when i found out :(

but honestly with time, even "Strange and Beautiful" seems to work as a glam metal record.....plus i dig how the drummer feels like he is in Kiiling Joke or directing a ritual ;)

btw, thanks to whoever recommended Malice's debut....ripping metal record ! like the best 80's album that priest never made...didnt like the second one as much

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:54 am 

Xeogred wrote:

I still haven't dared to give that one a go, I heard 'The Chant' which was like Midnight singing on a Guns N Roses out-take. I guess Virgin Steele were bitten by a similar bug on Life Among the Ruins. These hard rock missteps always seem so novel, haha.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312 ... 625  Next