Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MourningGlory616
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:58 pm 

Hello, I’m new here and such and I’ve been wondering how to find out what model my guitar is. It’s a Ibanez Gio and I believe the GRG series. The Serial Numbers A05070043 that is placed on the neck which I think means it was made in 2005 correct? Would there be any sources that I could figure it out or could someone help me with it?

Also, I’m planning on customizing my guitar to give it a better tone and such. Mostly things like painting it and changing the tuning pegs and pickups. What are some good picks ups that anyone has experience with and would there be any other things to consider making it sound better?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:40 pm 

Ibanez Gio's are a budget guitar line - it isn't advisable to spend much money upgrading them because the money spent on any significant upgrade is the difference in value between that and a higher end guitar with a noticeable increase in quality. If it needs repairs, it's great to learn by working on your starter guitars, but upgrades aren't worth it. Everyone falls in love with their first guitar/one they learned a lot on, but it's better to set aside money to buy another guitar that's higher end.

Pickups cost around $50-100, a set of tuners is $50ish - Two pickups and a set of tuners will cost you nearly what the guitar is already worth, and they don't increase the value of it.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 pm 

If you really like that guitar and want to upgrade it, be sure to check out used second hand mics.

Reply to topic