Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:49 pm 

I need to get active again, too. I'm hitting up Norther's full-lengths, and man. I'll still give the first two the time of day, but the next four are progressively shittier. Back in 2007 I stopped at the (at the time) newest album, but now I have to come full circle with this band.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 pm 

I'd love to be active again, but I just never have time anymore. I'm going to try and review all the Autumn albums from My New Time to their most recent, which are the ones I have. And I'd like to review Pharaoh's The Longest Night and their new one too. We'll see how that turns out.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:11 pm 

^ I'd be interested in reading those.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:33 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I'd love to be active again, but I just never have time anymore. I'm going to try and review all the Autumn albums from My New Time to their most recent, which are the ones I have. And I'd like to review Pharaoh's The Longest Night and their new one too. We'll see how that turns out.

I really want you to review The Longest Night. I DID, SO YOU HAVE TO, TOO!

As for Autumn, I've been enjoying Cold Comfort in a very, very different way than any album I have. It's definitely not in the realm of what I usually listen to.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I really want you to review Ad Noctum Dynasty of Death. I DID, SO YOU HAVE TO, TOO!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I really want you to review The Longest Night. I DID, SO YOU HAVE TO, TOO!

As for Autumn, I've been enjoying Cold Comfort in a very, very different way than any album I have. It's definitely not in the realm of what I usually listen to.

I downloaded Cold Comfort once a very long time ago and stopped listening to it after two songs because I couldn't stand it. That was when I was a close-minded asshole, though, so maybe I should give it another go.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:43 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I really want you to review Ad Noctum Dynasty of Death. I DID, SO YOU HAVE TO, TOO!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me answer that with a question. Have you seen my current Limbonic Art reviews? I can do it if you want, but I'm not sure if you realize that I'm not the right guy if you want a positive opinion.
Metal_Detector wrote:
I downloaded Cold Comfort once a very long time ago and stopped listening to it after two songs because I couldn't stand it. That was when I was a close-minded asshole, though, so maybe I should give it another go.

It certainly isn't metal, and its very toned down. You can get bored quite easily, as I was the first time hearing it. Its Incredibly tame music, but it gives me the same feeling I get when I'm engrossed in a story. This time, the story teller has a very comforting voice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:27 pm 

Cold Comfort is a little on the lengthy side for such a mellow album but it's actually really amazing; the first five songs are just spectacular and the later ones are good too, if not quite AS good. It's a real grower though so in a few listens I could easily say the whole album is consistently good.

And Altitude I will give a 98-100% score; easily my favorite female fronted metal album ever.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 pm 

Emp, finally you get that Longest Night review out there... over 2 years behind me, fool!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:21 pm 

And it's also a great review (yes, I've finally heard the album, and it's awesome). Congrats, Emp!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Let me answer that with a question. Have you seen my current Limbonic Art reviews? I can do it if you want, but I'm not sure if you realize that I'm not the right guy if you want a positive opinion.

Let me answer that with an answer.

I have carefully selected you because I respect your musical taste(s) and because having someone hail an album as amazing that already loves the band is a fruitless affair. I need somebody who despises (with good reason) at least some of their earlier work. Don't fail me, at least give it the good, Ozzyapu effort!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:20 pm 

Hell even my current review isn't very good at all, I wrote it a long time ago and was probably high. I will re-do mine if you write one.

Last.fm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 pm 

Ok, I'll consider it (I'll move it to the top of my list of priorities).

Oh btw sorry for trashing Norther. I see all your positives, I just had to share my opinion after listening for the last 6 years.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:58 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:

Oh btw sorry for trashing Norther. I see all your positives, I just had to share my opinion after listening for the last 6 years.

I hate Norther now. So I don't really care. Only two albums I will defend that get shit are Death Unlimited and Til Death Unites Us. Most people are unanimous that Mirror of Madness has some merit. I eagerly await the LA review. Every day I will sit at work with baited breath updating the review list repeatedly.

Last.fm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

I hate Norther now. So I don't really care Only two albums I will defend that get shit are Death Unlimited and Til Death Unites Us. Most people are unanimous that Mirror of Madness has some merit. I eagerly await the LA review. Every day I will sit at work with baited breath updating the review list repeatedly.

Good on the Norther, and you may not have to hold out too long on the LA. Someone asked me to listen to it a couple years ago so I did. And... yeah, not good.

Edit: Man I'm re-hearing Ad Noctum. This is shitty PS1 music. Awful blasturbation, and you can clearly tell what kind of room the guitars were recorded in / the shitty mics that picked it up. What the hell do you guys hear that's good in this garbled mess?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:13 pm 

Keep going...review it!

Last.fm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 pm 

I should finish writing a review about Anathema's The Silent Enigma. I have enough time but I'm just lazy. :p

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:25 pm 

By black metal standards I think it is a pretty breakneck guitar tone, considering how thin it was due to production/budgetary limitations in the earlier work and aesthetic choice on Ultimate Death Worship and Phantasmagoria, which sounded way too abrasive. Supreme Sacrifice is chock-full of killer riffs.The keys are fairly subdued and contribute to some nice, monolithic, BIG sounding sections. I won't go tit-for-tat on here I'll just rewrite my review. Although I won't give it 98% again, because I think the first track is pretty boring compared to the high quality of every other track, and again, I was high when I wrote the original.

Last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 pm 

Sometimes, I don't think I'll ever understand Emp. He bashes the new Nightwish for being a vast departure from early material, being inconsistent, and lacking flow, but always sings praises for the new Edguy...which is a vast departure from early material, is inconsistent, and lacks flow.

Is there some sort of bizzaro brainwave switching going on here, where our complete love and hate of each album was purposefully switched?

(It is a well-written review, Emp, but I'll never understand the appeal of [the latter half of] Age of the Joker, dammit!)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:43 pm 

Liquid_Braino, if you're going to reuse "Cristina and Co." for all your Lacuna Coil reviews, at least spell her name correctly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:11 pm 

Zelkiro:

I think you're overlooking a fundamental, basic logical assumption: I don't think the new Edguy album lacked flow or was inconsistent, or was a departure from their old material. It's about as simple as that. If you don't understand this, I simply can't help you.

Also, what the new Nightwish did wrong was the fact that the songs were terrible. The new Edguy had songs that felt like actual songs, with a logical flow, hooks that you remember and generally orthodox musical techniques, regardless of whether or not you liked them. The new Nightwish is the kind of album with shit songs like "Ghost River," and a sequence of three ballads all in a row - i.e. incredibly sloppy.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:21 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I don't think the new Edguy album lacked flow or was inconsistent, or was a departure from their old material.

I didn't say YOU said that. :V

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:28 pm 

What I don't understand about your review, Empyreal, is that you gave it 37%, which to me indicates a really poor but not completely terrible album. Your review is rather vitriolic in tone, and you apparently enjoyed only two tracks on the album, and even them only very slightly.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:51 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
What I don't understand about your review, Empyreal, is that you gave it 37%, which to me indicates a really poor but not completely terrible album. Your review is rather vitriolic in tone, and you apparently enjoyed only two tracks on the album, and even them only very slightly.

That sounds like a 37%er to me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm 

I have different scaling than you then. The review sounded like 15% or 25% tops to me.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:56 pm 

Maybe 37% would be a little high if I were rating it and that was how I felt, but I just did Beneath the Massacre and pointed out maybe two or three things I liked with only one full track I enjoyed and otherwise had nothing nice to say about it and that was thirtysomething for me. So I suppose I could me giving that score out if I was in a generous mood.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:06 pm 

I discovered this band Cosmic Church, recommended by a friend, and since Perplexed_Sjel gave it a 55%, I think I might actually enjoy it quite a bit. He tends to love "black metal" I simply loathe, so I expect it to work both ways.

BastardHead: I probably care about ratings more than I should. Not all my ratings are completely logical either.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm 

*sigh* Ratings are completely subjective just like the opinions ratings are based upon. One person's 50% is another person's 30%. Get real.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:16 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Liquid_Braino, if you're going to reuse "Cristina and Co." for all your Lacuna Coil reviews, at least spell her name correctly.

Thanks, luckily I only hosed her name for the Comalies review.
I resubmitted it with the correct spelling.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:21 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Thanks, luckily I only hosed her name for the Comalies review.
I resubmitted it with the correct spelling.

Not true. Your Lacuna Coil Lacuna Coil review has Cristina's name spelled incorrectly, as well (there's an "i" that should be there) "Cristinia & Co. begin their journey".

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:00 pm 

Jesus, I should have stuck with 'Lacuna Coil' instead, although I probably would have accidentally written Lacuna Boil for a couple of them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:00 pm 

15% or 25% would have been too low for the Nightwish album, that rating is what I give stuff that is actually truly horrible, as opposed to just boring crap like that album was.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:04 pm 

Yeah, I didn't get the praise for it at all either. Just out of curiosity, did you ever like Nightwish?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:51 pm 

The first paragraph of my review says that answer...I do like them now. In fact I spent most of January playing Wishmaster and Century Child.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 pm 

Well I didn't read it :p I generally don't check out reviews of bands I dislike even if I respect the reviewer in question. You and I tend to disagree on a lot of things though, I find everything they've done horrible.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:56 pm 

I like reading negative reviews in general.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:00 am 

I find them cool when they're for albums I enjoy. The different perspective tends to be rather interesting.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 am 

I only stop to read -50% reviews normally (with a couple of author exceptions), listening to a one man CJ over an album pretty much destroys the feel for me, kind of like hearing your friends go bat shit insane over "that new comedy that's so funny, you have to watch" only to find its just a couple of over done jokes made for internet meme-ing.
On the other hand hearing someone systematically destroy a work at how pointless and boring it was leaves the bar really low, henceforth much album appreciation follows.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:35 am 

Empyreal wrote:

aren't those often more amusing to read anyway?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:27 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

aren't those often more amusing to read anyway?

No, not really. Too often they're just people ranting and raving and thinking they're (almost) too funny for words with their hyperboles, silly metaphors and expressions. Too much purple descriptions, too little content.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 520  Next