Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:29 pm 

went in and wrote the 2nd song for this ep. it turned out to be 12 mins long.

I did the vocals for the first one and I'll have to write some more lyrics for this second one.

worked on this song and demoed out the arrangement for the first 4 parts for this other band that's shaping up to be this Immolation/Ulcerate type band. I only did single guitar and drums so the guitarist can write his counterpoint riffs for sections.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 am 

rehearsing with my progresive thrash band...we are friends from school
a bunch of assholes trying to mix Edge of Sanity/Atheist with Voivod,a piece o Vektor
some Pantera/Exhorder groovy flavour with a clear Rush/Queensryche influence
and...as weird as it sounds,the funky vibe on FNM and Mr Bungle

bunch of crazy fuckers we are

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:08 am 

^Sounds awesome. Prog/thrash is something more people out there should play, haha.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:34 am 

Experimenting with dissonance and tone clusters.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:01 am 

Speaking of tone clusters, I've always wanted to tune a guitar so that each string is a semitone apart. Perhaps I'll start a project experimenting with such a tuning.

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:11 am 

IanThrash wrote:
rehearsing with my progresive thrash band.

Well, colour me jealous. But that is pretty cool man.

Serious question for people who're already well rehearsed in the whole thing, how important is it to consider musical taste when forming a band? Because I've been searching around for people but most of the people in my area who aren't already in bands and want to play heavy music want to play metalcore of the Asking Alexandria variety. I found a bass player in the area whose into 'grunge/alternative' which I guess isn't bad, and I don't mind a bit of Alice in Chains or Soundgarden, but I'm really into playing death/thrash at the moment and everything I've written in the past few months has been in that vain, and I don't really know if I'm digging the idea of actually playing grunge, but I also would much prefer playing in a band and playing live to attempting to go down the bedroom project band route. So I'm kind of at a loss as to what I want to do.
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:02 pm 

honestly if you aren't all that into playing the style of music the few shows you get to play aren't going to be worth the time and effort spent writing and practicing music you don't like to begin with... or barely like to begin with.

Remember for that 20-40mins you are on stage aren't going to feel so special when you have already sunk countless hours in practice, writing, driving to the gig when in the back of your head you are going 'i really wish I was playing some thrash to these 15 people cause at least i'm enjoying myself'

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:26 pm 

Recording a 2nd song off my veryvery new death project. I'll follow some suggestions given here and I'll downtune from C to A. The new song is kinda faster and oddly reminded me to Centurian's Choronzonic Chaos Gods/Morbid Angel's Covenant.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:36 pm 

Xanzotire wrote:
IanThrash wrote:
rehearsing with my progresive thrash band.

Well, colour me jealous. But that is pretty cool man.

Serious question for people who're already well rehearsed in the whole thing, how important is it to consider musical taste when forming a band? Because I've been searching around for people but most of the people in my area who aren't already in bands and want to play heavy music want to play metalcore of the Asking Alexandria variety. I found a bass player in the area whose into 'grunge/alternative' which I guess isn't bad, and I don't mind a bit of Alice in Chains or Soundgarden, but I'm really into playing death/thrash at the moment and everything I've written in the past few months has been in that vain, and I don't really know if I'm digging the idea of actually playing grunge, but I also would much prefer playing in a band and playing live to attempting to go down the bedroom project band route. So I'm kind of at a loss as to what I want to do.

hey!actually my bass player is more into classic punk like circle jerks,minort threat,misfits and stuf like that
althought he is not into progressive,he likes playing this weird stuff
its not so important the music the members listen, actually i think its more important to enjoy the shit you are playing
sometimes you dont enjoy a genre but when it comes to play it with friends and creating your music its much more
funnier an enjoyable

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:58 pm 

Xanzotire:

I agree with ShaolinLambKiller.

It's better to be patient and try and find the right people from the start. By right people I mean at least into the same type of music and who you can get along with.

But I know what you're going through. When I started out back in 96-97, searching for bands, I actually considered joining a rock cover band consisting of women in their 30's. Kind of embarrassing, but at least they were good looking...

And yes, it doesn't really matter what each band member listens to as long as they want the same thing(s) as you do!

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:53 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll see how the other guy feels about doing some thrashier material and if it doesn't work out I suppose it's bedroom project for me until I perhaps work up the money to move somewhere with a better music scene.
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:04 pm 

Don't give up already though, it took me ages to find someone who liked the same music than I do and also happened to be a musician from around here, but it was certainly worth it.

Currently writing lyrics for what I'd like someday to be some grindcore songs.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 am 

I'm currently really busy rehearsing with my band Rapid Dominance. We play thrash/groove metal, heavily influenced by Megadeth, Testament, Pantera and Lamb of God. They recruited me last fall because their old bassist left and I've been trying to learn all their songs from then. I only need one more!
Anyways, we're playing a festival called Emergenza and at the Wacken Metal Battle in Denmark, so we're gonna practice Thursday to Sunday this week to really get ready. I swear I've never practiced so much in my life.
http://www.facebook.com/Rapiddominanceband

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am 

Zerberus wrote:
I'm currently really busy rehearsing with my band Rapid Dominance. We play thrash/groove metal, heavily influenced by Megadeth, Testament, Pantera and Lamb of God. They recruited me last fall because their old bassist left and I've been trying to learn all their songs from then. I only need one more!
Anyways, we're playing a festival called Emergenza and at the Wacken Metal Battle in Denmark, so we're gonna practice Thursday to Sunday this week to really get ready. I swear I've never practiced so much in my life.
http://www.facebook.com/Rapiddominanceband

thats awesome man!!!! wacken metal battle mus be great!!!

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:09 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
Speaking of tone clusters, I've always wanted to tune a guitar so that each string is a semitone apart. Perhaps I'll start a project experimenting with such a tuning.

I have done this a few times but never the right way, and by that I mean I never went out and got the appropriate strings for using such tunings. The results were that I could play unusual chords and tone clusters but I had some really slack strings. My concern with having a really weird mix of string gauges is that it would put tension on the neck in an unusual way but I am sure if you did it right this wouldn't be a problem. Tone clusters are pretty damn awesome to use with metal.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 pm 

Mixed all the new spewtilator stuff over the weekend. very pleased with how it's turning out... now just need to master it and then it's off to the pressing plant! Weeeeeee!!!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Astrum502
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:20 pm 

It took me forever to find bandmates.
I made solo recordings since the 80's. and always had buddies into the same music, but no one played an instrument, or wanted to make a band.
So, I just never met people, but then, I also didn't look very hard, or advertise... well, I did make an ad once and put it up at the local music shop... but nothing came of it.
So, I just wrote and recorded mainly as a hobbie for myself.
Then my buddy was playing one of my CDs to one of his buddies, while one of his buddies was there, who is a drummer, and he liked it and wanted to play drums for me, so they put me in contact with him.
So, he put some drums over some of my already recorded stuff, and that was the ICONS EP. It's not that good, but it started us going, so we got together and started properly doing songs that I properly wrote, the ICONS material, I really just threw together, I didn't expect anyone to really hear it, as it came from a full length of experimental songwriting I was trying. But anyway, the proper real album we did was Apoacalyptic Dawn, and it was very well received, and during the recording of that, we got a guitarist, who did, I think, 4 songs, I did the rest. Anyway, we did another album, Tales of Witchlore, that got a good reception as well, though I'd like to get it remastered, EQ'd, but it's OK, sound wise, I guess. But now we have a new vocalist, female, and are working on our new 2012 CD, and I think it's gonna be the best we've done.

My point is, I suspect many people never find a band. As it is, it took me a LONG time to find the people I have now, over 20 years.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:31 pm 

Xanzotire wrote:

Just cause you are into something doesn't mean you play it. I'm really into sludge but I will probably never play in a sludge band (at least not on guitar/bass). People are really stupid with being in bands. Every band is a unique experience in itself. Working with other can improve your abilities and make you look more qualified for those looking for a person for a band. I would rather choose someone who may not be the best guitarist but has played in bands before then someone who is amazing at guitar but refuses to play in bands because they might not be what "they" want to play.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:17 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
thats awesome man!!!! wacken metal battle mus be great!!!

Yeah we hope it's gonna be wicked. We're playing with some other fairly local bands named Blood Label, Panacea, Sickseed and Diretone. The "audience-getter" is gonna be Dawn of Demise, who we've played with before. It's all good. Hopefully we'll make it to the next round, but we are severely less known than any of the other bands.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 pm 

StinkyPenis wrote:
I would rather choose someone who may not be the best guitarist but has played in bands before then someone who is amazing at guitar but refuses to play in bands because they might not be what "they" want to play.

take that with a grain of salt. i'd rather play with the more talented guitarist that held out to play with a band he wanted to really play in rather than the guy who is alright but has been in a ton of other bands. Here is my reasoning why based on actual cases i've experienced:

more talented guy put all his energy and time into developing the project as far as it possibly could go and more willing to sacrifice the time and money needed to make it work.

guy who has less talent who had been in a ton of bands.... I've known quite a few... they were more likely to quit because the were more flighty. They rather look for the next thing that might take them further in their quest for whatever with the least amount of effort. Anytime anything was difficult in learning songs, putting up money for anything, or showing up for a regular practice they quit cause they are just as happy playing radio rock as they were playing death metal. Bah on those kinds of people.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:49 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
StinkyPenis wrote:
I would rather choose someone who may not be the best guitarist but has played in bands before then someone who is amazing at guitar but refuses to play in bands because they might not be what "they" want to play.

take that with a grain of salt. i'd rather play with the more talented guitarist that held out to play with a band he wanted to really play in rather than the guy who is alright but has been in a ton of other bands. Here is my reasoning why based on actual cases i've experienced:

more talented guy put all his energy and time into developing the project as far as it possibly could go and more willing to sacrifice the time and money needed to make it work.

guy who has less talent who had been in a ton of bands.... I've known quite a few... they were more likely to quit because the were more flighty. They rather look for the next thing that might take them further in their quest for whatever with the least amount of effort. Anytime anything was difficult in learning songs, putting up money for anything, or showing up for a regular practice they quit cause they are just as happy playing radio rock as they were playing death metal. Bah on those kinds of people.

Well what you said is someone who cannot commit. I know people who play in 4+ bands, continuously write new material and refuse to break up a band even when a really important member of the band is gone as well as play tons of shows. I'm talking about those kinds of people. I wish some of my friends played or liked metal cause most of them are pretty good. One of my friends is in at least 6 bands. No recording only bands either.

What I'm talking about is a great musician who refuses to do what he wants simply because he doesn't like it. Someone who would be like "Playing with you would be a waste of my time and talent". I don't like attitudes like that. Arrogant would be the best way to describe it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:33 pm 

I know those people as well because hell I was one of those people... I used to practice in 5 full time bands that wrote and played shows often. the people you described sound like ones who joined multiple bands because they absolutely enjoy the music of those bands. It was always everyone else that would call it a day on a band before I ever would. What I'm saying is there is always a flip side to every coin.

and what I'm suggesting is for him to seek out something he enjoys. I would never want someone who doesn't like the music I'm creating with them to feel forced to play it cause it's their last resort. I rather you go on your own way and find something that will make them happy and productive. I respect those people. I've said pretty close to what you had said to a number of people when they asked me to join in on a project. But I'd give it a shot first, usually one or two jams will be enough to allow me to pick if I want to devote more time into it. What you are saying looks like it stems from hurt feelings over times with other musicians in the past. If I don't like playing in your pseudo deathcore band... I'll not going to devote my time and effort into it when I can easily find something else that will fit my needs... or what i do more so now... write and record exactly what i want to play whenever I feel I want to.

I rather play with arrogance than someone who just really wants to be in a band.... that's far worse.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:51 pm 

As of lately I've been dealing with both a lot. I remember at our practice space one of the bands we shared our rooms with came in and was like "Where is the mic! WE DON'T HAVE ONE!". Acting like it was our issue to have a mic when its the one thing a vocalist needs to buy. Most of the issues are with equipment and no one wants to save up a few hundo for a nice mic/PA/guitar amp/bass amp/anything. Would rather spend it on beer cuz its punk.

I also think that if most of the people who are in bands in rochester weren't really good friends and good musicians, we wouldn't have any punk bands at all. Never really played in a band with someone I wasn't good friends with so maybe that has to do with it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 pm 

Those people sound like idiots and assholes.

I'm fully in support of any musician actually saving up and buying their own equipment esp the vocalist.

I don't share a space anymore. I did when I first got in the unit. And they never paid their part on time and i came in once and my drumkit was rearranged with stuff knocked over.. yea no if ands or buts. I threw all their shit out and told them to come get it before someone hauls off with it cause i don't appreciate someone touching my stuff without my permission.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:11 pm 

Talent doesn't automatically equal devotion. I've seen lots of talented musicians waste other peoples time, with their stuck up attitude.
Go with you gut feeling, that's all. I a guy just doesn't feel right, then he's probably not the right one.

The vocalist has the lowest cost in the band. Get a mic, say a SM-58 and a good cable and you're set for years!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 pm 

I wasn't saying that either. We were discussing playing ability + or - band experience.

I've met tons of talents musicians that weren't worth a grain of salt as well. But he was saying talent musicians that don't want to play in bands that aren't to their suited style... makes perfect sense to me.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 pm 

Never said you did. I was just pointing that out to him.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm 

Porman wrote:
Talent doesn't automatically equal devotion. I've seen lots of talented musicians waste other peoples time, with their stuck up attitude.
Go with you gut feeling, that's all. I a guy just doesn't feel right, then he's probably not the right one.

The vocalist has the lowest cost in the band. Get a mic, say a SM-58 and a good cable and you're set for years!

yep but theres also many many many many "virtuosos" who cant do a single fucking good song
and yet they are worshiped as gods

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:40 am 

Thinking of anyone in particular?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 am 

I can think of two immediately that could sweep and solo all day long but couldn't play a fucking rhythm track to save their life. Well one could do black metal if it was nothing but tremelo with no changes and a 4/4 count on how fast he changes notes in the riff.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:08 am 

Well, who?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 am 

I'm talking personally you won't know him. I'm not talking about anyone on this board or is known for any music... cause he went on and played in a really shitty nu-rock band that played 3 shows around the local area over the course of 7 years and then think they are just on the verge of their big break.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 am 

Apteronotus wrote:
triggerhappy wrote:

I have done this a few times but never the right way, and by that I mean I never went out and got the appropriate strings for using such tunings. The results were that I could play unusual chords and tone clusters but I had some really slack strings. My concern with having a really weird mix of string gauges is that it would put tension on the neck in an unusual way but I am sure if you did it right this wouldn't be a problem. Tone clusters are pretty damn awesome to use with metal.

Yeah I know man... Right now I can't be arsed to restring my guitar, and I haven't really thought about the neck tension too, so I've just been messing around in Guitar Pro for the time being. I have, like, 2 very simplistic riffs written, but not much else. I'm probably going to write in the style of Virus.

Other than that, I've been working on more dissonant BM.

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:56 am 

I'm having the same problems with finding people into the same music and willing to play. Nobody seems to follow through, and I'm stuck jamming alone. I was asked to join a punk band, but knowing the kids that means Green Day influenced stuff. Not my thing, but I'll see.

On the bright side, I'm getting a guitar this weekend from a friend. It's an LTD and in good shape. Only $125, too.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 am 

Was in the studio on Monday recording with the post-metal band, and it went fucking brilliantly. We still need to double track some guitar, but we should hopefully have it done by April or thereabouts...

allureoftheearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:15 am 

Replacing some Floyd Rose components I got from a guitar I inherited.
Also I changed my major in college to Recording Technology. :-D

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:25 pm 

Good luck with using the degree!

MMartini75
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:24 am 

does school count?

the opportunity, with my intervention, presented itself to enroll in Music Performance(guitar) at a local college. Will be attending Full time in the fall, but currently taking a pre-requiste for Theory of Music I, then take Theory of Music I in september, along the rest of the music courses (theory II, III etc.)

I can read notes on a staff now, couldn't before, maybe just high e, and f, g on guitar. That's was it. This course has
taught me(could have learned on my own too, i was too lazy i guess) to write everything on both the treble and bass clefs. Writing scales(major, natural, harmonic, melodic, etc) as well, recognize time and key signatures. Especially flat major keys, never gave a shit about them, but I had to learn them. Before this class i knew a few key signatures, but NOW I KNOW THEM ALL!!

Currently on intervals along with SOL-FA studies. I knew the intervals, unisons, perfect 4ths, 5ths, octave, minors & majors. Never knew about diminished or augmented, there's another one im forgetting. As for the SOL-FA studies, this has to be my weakest for now. Fucking USA and its moveable DO. Why not fixed like the rest of the world?

Anyways, that's what im up to. BACK TO THE BASICS!! nothing wrong with that :-D

Sure anybody can go to school, but im in a different situation. Had no drivers license for the past 11years(im 36 now). Currently working more than full time(55plus hours) a week. Car payments, mortgage payment, you know shit that becomes part of your life that you have to sacrifice your wants.

Come september, full time at school for the next two years and im cashing out part of my 401k, cutting down to 20 hours max at work. I need some kind of income to cover the rise of fucking gas. So its now for me. There's no tomorrow.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:55 pm 

Recorded my singer for 54R.

also re-head all my toms and tightened up shit on my kick and snare. total fucking tech death sounding kit... I might have to capitalize on that.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:30 pm 

Well as of the past few weeks I have started jamming with people again. I started writing songs with two life long friends of mine who I have been in and out of bands with. My buddies are guitar players and Im a bassist. They had four songs written previously before I started paying with them. I sat down with the one guitar player and we recorded all of the songs with the shitty mic recorder on my lap top. We sat their and picked apart the songs. There were like a million ideas crammed into each song with out any form of structure or reason. So we completely re structured the first song. We cut ideas out of both the 2nd and 3rd song to make One really great song, wich has actually turned out to be my favorite. We have yet to pick apart the 4rth song. I brought some riffs to the table that I had been sitting on for years. We ended up using some left over riffs of theirs and completed the 5th song in a matter of a half hr our so. This one and the 2nd song flow the best and really sound quite mature.

If I were to describe any of the songs, Song 1 sounds like Morbid Angel meets Slayer but modernized. The 2nd song has a dark, gothic feel. Some what Black Metalish in atmospher but its really just death metal riffing, some what melodic I guess. The 5th song wich I wrote starts off with a mid paced groove similar to slower Cannibal Corpse songs for the first half of the song. Then it slowy builds up into a blistering fast Cannibal Corpse meets Morbid Angel 2nd half. The over all vibe of our sound so far bounces between Death Metal and Thrash while mixing in a dark melodic sence.

I am actually quite proud of these songs. I think this is some of the best material I have ever been apart of writiing. For the first time in a long time I am very excited and motivated to play music again.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 185  Next