Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:37 pm 

i currently have a sony walkman 16gb mp3 player, but i need more space since i listen to a lot of music. i currently have only like $150 to spend. could anyone recommend me an mp3 player under $150 that has more than 16gb?

Downsone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 am 

Have a look at Archos 43 vision or Samsung YP-R2

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:38 am 

Try hunting down a used 5th gen Ipod Video, throw rockbox on it if you don't like using itunes. (Rockbox is far better than the normal firmware anyway). Should be pretty cheap, will give you tons of space (they come in 30gb and 60gb sizes, and the latter are upgradable if you don't mind tinkering a bit and can find a compatible HDD), and being as popular as they are, if anything breaks and you're a DIY type finding replacement parts is easy.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Try hunting down a used 5th gen Ipod Video, throw rockbox on it if you don't like using itunes. (Rockbox is far better than the normal firmware anyway). Should be pretty cheap, will give you tons of space (they come in 30gb and 60gb sizes, and the latter are upgradable if you don't mind tinkering a bit and can find a compatible HDD), and being as popular as they are, if anything breaks and you're a DIY type finding replacement parts is easy.

This is exactly what I did on Ebay - I got myself a used 5th Generation iPod Classic - 30 Giga for 110$ Canadian. I was opposed to Apple for a long time and I see the confusion with iTunes and all that stuff but generally speaking its a good quality music player.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 pm 

Since we are on the subject, could anyone tell me if Rockbox is compatible with an 8 gig iPod nano? I am seeing on their website that it works with one or two gigs, but nothing about eight gigs although it isn't on the list of mp3 players that are incompatible with it.

My Ebay Store

DisciplineOfRevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:50 am 

AppleQueso wrote:

thanks, this is probably what i'll do.

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:15 am 

I got a 32gb Zune HD a couple of months ago. It's a great device, but Microsoft did a shitty job advertising them.

Twisted_Fate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:32 pm 

I don't remember the brand names, but some of them have like a little micro SD card slot you can use to add space. My advice would be to get one of these players, because from what I recall they're really cheap.

Be gone, troll!

Reply to topic