Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:28 pm 

Hi!

Is there any band that plays something that would be described as "Technical Doom Metal"?

If you can't find a band that fits maybe some bands that have hybrid songs: half doom (funeral doom OR death/doom) and half technical death metal (à la The scepter of the ancients - Psycroptic) or thrash metal...
Basically fast palm-muted stuff (with start-stops)... A little melody would be appreciated too (but I'm not going to be too nit-picky since I'd be surprised to find a band that actually does this).

Thanks!

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:31 pm 

Baring Teeth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-reJktziIQ

Black Sheep Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS9Fdg8yZJA

The only two I can think of...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:36 pm 

BlackRainbowFT wrote:
Basically fast palm-muted stuff (with start-stops)

You do realise that this together with doom is quite the paradox don't you?

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:37 pm 

Ehnahre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk3RcE9_ngc

This might also be kind of what you are looking for.

BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:09 pm 

Thank you for your recs! These somewhat fit the "technical doom" request! Although I must say I'm not really a fan of dissonance for the sake of dissonance (--> deathspell omega).
Ehnahre is interesting, although some parts are too experimental/noisy.

And, no. The second half of my request isn't a paradox. You could start off a song at a doomy tempo and then switch to something thrashy.
In death metal / thrash metal they do the exact opposite. They start fast and then an acoustic guitar kicks in and then back to blasts or whatever.
Do you see what I mean?

Keep 'em coming!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 pm 

BlackRainbowFT wrote:
And, no. The second half of my request isn't a paradox. You could start off a song at a doomy tempo and then switch to something thrashy.
In death metal / thrash metal they do the exact opposite. They start fast and then an acoustic guitar kicks in and then back to blasts or whatever.

Do you see what I mean?

Now I actually do, although I can't think of many things with that specific kind of sound. So stuff like Obliveon, Chemical Breath or Devastation sound appealing to you?

I'm just tossing names here...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm 

I'm surprised no one said confessor. I would say its techincal Doom since their time signatures are extremely odd.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 pm 

I nearly did recommend Confessor, but I after re-reading his OP, I reckoned that wasn't quite the style of Doom he was after. However, now you have recommended them, I second Confessor!

If that does fit the bill, you may also want to look at Penance's debut album "The Road Less Travelled", and maybe some of Revelation's material, though the distinction between "technical" and "progressive" could be an issue here.

However, I think you're after a more extreme form of Doom, though, am I right?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:49 pm 

Yea I read his op I still opted to post Confessor cause everything else he is looking for is more just considered death metal.

Gorguts has elements of what he is describing, so does Ulcerate, Ehnarhe, quite a few death metal bands that feel to do at least one slower doom churning track.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:19 am 

Would this fit ?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Ak8ZVy3Kg&lis ... ature=plcp

BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:36 pm 

Regarding the question whether I'd like a more extreme form of doom... not necessarily! Although I'd be surprised to find a band that shifts from "candlemassy doom" to death metal ;)

Despite the average reviews on MA, I really like De Profundis (especially the song you recommended). Although I'd have hoped the faster parts to be more catchy (Absu catchy, not J-Pop catchy) and the doomy parts to be somewhat slower. Probably the song I like the most from this thread.

I already know Confessor and I don't like them at all... Odd-time signatures are fine in some contexts, but I like my music to be "flowing"... which isn't the case here. The kind of "complexity" I enjoy leans more towards Dark Angel's Time does not heal or Absu's drumming patterns than stuff like Gorgut's Obscura (too much dissonance and weirdness) or anything progressive (I used to love progressive metal as a genre, but not anymore).

Penance isn't really what I had in mind (and stoner influenced stuff isn't my domain of expertise) but it's not bad!
The song I heard by Revelation is good ("release"), although that song doesn't really fit my request!

Chemical breath is excellent, Obliveon is good and Devastation is "meh". But that's death metal to me... no funeral doom - death/doom or doom in sight ;)

Thanks everybody

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:21 pm 

BlackRainbowFT wrote:
Chemical breath is excellent, Obliveon is good and Devastation is "meh". But that's death metal to me... no funeral doom - death/doom or doom in sight ;)

I know that. They all share a peculiar sense of atmosphere though, apart from Devastation which is a more direct affair. Can't really give anything that hits in that soft spot mate, I just don't know bands like what you're after. ;)

BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:17 pm 

very good recs nonetheless ;)

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:53 am 

Here's another De Profundis song from the same album. It's the most Doom track on there, but less technical. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeSlGQkjdJc

The reviews on MA are pretty schizophrenic. If you read them all (there are only 5), you'll have no idea what the band actually sounds like!

Reply to topic