Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 am 

I've seen there are some old threads here in the tavern about bugs and fishes and such. Well, why don't we start one for the animal kingdom in general, then? Here you can talk about dolphins (did you know that they kill for fun?), chimpanzees (those cute little fellas actually eat babies), platypii (they're venomous!!!) and all the other non human creatures you find interesting/cute/terrifying. So, why don't we start with an interesting little reptile that squirts blood from his eye to protect himself against predators? Yup, now that's what I call a bloody retaliation! Get it? GET IT?! But yeah, are animals weird ass sons of bitches or what?

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:06 am 

You sound like you're trying to be this guy.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:29 am 

Vlachos wrote:

Haha! Does anyone else hear Randall saying something like "You've got an awwwwwwful case of dandruff here, honey, EWWWWWW!" when he narrates that thing? Can't help it.

OK, let's try to get some quality into this thread if you wish to discuss such an important subject. The OP is bad as hell, but there's plenty to talk about.

Fourthly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 am 

The Platypus rocks!!

Cute as hell and it can fucking kill you.

Now, THAT is a combo! :lol:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:27 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmVlodE_dzo

this is my parakeet singing along to some Iron Maiden. She's named Siren after Bruce.

parakeets are really interesting creatures, she's a part of the family and in some ways she's more emotionally complex than a dog or a cat. There's a few more videos of her doing strange things on my account. She really enjoys exploring dark places, like the bottom of a laundry hamper and the subwoofer in the back of my speakers and a...paper towel roll...

dolphins are fascinating, I read "Man and Dolphin" by John C. Lily a few years ago.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:40 am 

Sharks and dogs are awesome for different reasons.

If i was super rich i'd have sharks in my swimming pool, drug lord style!

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 am 

Bass. They lurk deep.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrebird

that bird is so interesting can mimic so many different sounds, there are so many interesting animals out there

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 am 

Vlachos wrote:

Believe me when I say that I don't sound like that. Nor do I want to.
Napero wrote:
The OP is bad as hell, but there's plenty to talk about.

:( :( :(

Oh, c'mon Nap, I'm just trying to have a bit of fun here.....
SatanicPotato wrote:

that bird is so interesting can mimic so many different sounds, there are so many interesting animals out there

Yeah, I've read about this guy and have seen it in a couple of documentaries. The motherfucker can mimic stuff from a chainsaw to a car's alarm, and much more. Really quirky thing. And speaking of imposters of the animal kingdom, has anyone heard of the Stonefish? This mean little bastards often get washed ashore, and even then you can't spot them because they DO look like freaking rocks. And that's awful, because if you step on them, you'll get stabbed with a bunch of spines they have in their back, injecting into your bloodstream a toxin that produces such a pain that you'll be begging for your foot to be chopped off. Charming, eh?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula It's a biologically immortal jellyfish.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula It's a biologically immortal jellyfish.

Saw it in a Cracked article, and yeah, I was pretty impressed. It's basically a handful of goo that's also a Highlander!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Saw it in a Cracked article, and yeah, I was pretty impressed. It's basically a handful of goo that's also a Highlander!

Lobsters are also awesome creatures. "Recent research suggests that lobsters may not slow down, weaken, or lose fertility with age. It has been argued that lobsters may exhibit negligible senescence and some scientists have claimed that they could effectively live indefinitely, barring injury, disease, capture, etc."

It looks like there are a lot of Highlander-ish creatures in the world.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 am 

So, you're effectively saying that, besides a violent or disease-induced death, lobsters don't actually die? Couple that with the aforementioned jellyfishes, those strange giant crickets that effectively come back from the dead after freezing and the tardigrades (cute little thingies that are practically indestructible) and you got the freaking Immortals! Besides, I can't stress enough how much crows terrify me.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:47 am 

Well, it's just a theorie proposed by a couple of scientists. Nothing has been proven yet. There is a good amount of theoretically immortal species though. Pinus longaeva, Bacteria (in colony form), and Hydra.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:40 pm 

Oh, alright, but still, it's a kick ass theory. And to whoever said platypii can kill you; they can't, but their sting is still stupidly painful and not something you'd like to go through if you're a sane human being.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:26 pm 

I raise insects as a hobby. I currently have two (or three) species of grasshopper (two of them are just North and South variations of a similar species, the third is a spur-throat grasshopper), a ton of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches and four praying mantises.

There was a time when I had Eastern Lubber grasshoppers and about eight or so different species of praying mantis.

One insect I'd like to get someday is the Greater Arid Land Katydid. They are gigantic katydids with spikes all over and red eyes, they are also carnivorous and they have cute little wings. http://insects.tamu.edu/salon/2011/entr ... nhart3.JPG

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 pm 

Goatfangs, I have a question for you; do hissing cockroaches ACTUALLY hiss? And if so, how?

Besides, about that cricket thing you posted there; it's eyes are strangely human.

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:34 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Here you can talk about dolphins (did you know that they kill for fun?)

Who claims it?
I think that no scientist is able to prove such thing unless he can read their mind.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:37 pm 

lol i actually just heard of the stonefish yesterday(love cracked) i live in australia so we have some of the most interesting and scary animals and insects around :P

for me the Octopus is very interesting, very smart animal i remember seeing something on them and they put an Octopus in a "secure" enclosure at an aquarium and it escaped, walked to another enclosure and ate the fish in there then walked back to its original enclosure without anyone noticing.....ninja Octopus :P

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Goatfangs, I have a question for you; do hissing cockroaches ACTUALLY hiss? And if so, how?

Yes, they hiss when agitated by forcing air through their spiracles, which are tiny holes on the sides of their abdomen that is used for breathing.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Yes, they hiss when agitated by forcing air through their spiracles, which are tiny holes on the sides of their abdomen that is used for breathing.

A hole in the side of their abdomen? I think stink bugs have a similar structure where they spray gas when they feel threatened (kind of like their way of farting).

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm 

All insects breathe through some sort of holes somewhere, usually on their sides, I believe. That combined with the oxygen content of the atmosphere is the main feature limiting their size.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:42 pm 

I have a pair of Siberian Huskys named Willy and Layla, a female Chocolate Lab named Lucy, a tiger striped Pit Bull named Rocky. I'm also babysitting my mom's female Chihuahua named Baby and her black and grey Australian Shephard named Donas. I love them all but feeding them is quite a workout.

I love birds of prey especially the Harpy Eagle which survives on sloths and monkeys throughout Central and South America. If you've never seen a harpy eagle snatch a sloth from a tree it's quite the feat.

I love sloths. They sit around smoking dope all day with not a care in the world, that is, until the haters arrive and kill their high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ij4644 ... r%2Bmonkey

Last edited by nekuomanteia on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm 

Dolphins have a remarkable sense of empathy and have been known to self-sacrifice. I've also heard rumors about killing for fun and committing rape, so, I guess they're human-like in ways?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:39 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Dolphins have a remarkable sense of empathy and have been known to self-sacrifice. I've also heard rumors about killing for fun and committing rape, so, I guess they're human-like in ways?

Dolphins are claimed to also have homosexual relationships. I've heard this from my art teacher, as well as some classmates. Can anyone prove this?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:45 pm 

Psh, dolphins are dicks.

I'm a pretty big fan of honeybees, I keep bees in my spare time and the entire colony structure is fascinating and undeniably intricate. Essentially,you can also teach bees to never harm certain folks just by being around them. There's a loyalty there that's pretty neat.

Also, bumblebees are cute.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 pm 

The greatest Animal in the entire world.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:44 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:

For anyone interested here is a clip of it mimicking some sounds. Absolutely amazing.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm 

With all the talk of dolphins, I'm surprised this hasn't come up- some scientists are suggesting that cetaceans should have the equivalent of human rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17116882

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

For anyone interested here is a clip of it mimicking some sounds. Absolutely amazing.

thanks for the video

the Koala remind me of the sloth as in it sleeps for 18 hours a day, you wonder how a species that sleeps so often could actually survive

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:03 pm 

Crows are the most badass species to... you know fly around the earth.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19042_6- ... think.html

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 pm 

oogboog wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Dolphins are claimed to also have homosexual relationships. I've heard this from my art teacher, as well as some classmates. Can anyone prove this?

Homosexuality is not unheard of in animals, and dolphins can commit rape alright, among other things, oh yeah. Dolphins can toss your salad and fuck you.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 pm 

Napero wrote:
All insects breathe through some sort of holes somewhere, usually on their sides, I believe. That combined with the oxygen content of the atmosphere is the main feature limiting their size.

At least until insects evolve more advanced techniques of air-breathing. The largest terrestrial arthropod is the Coconut Crab, which breathes through a special type of lungs that are sort of a mid-point between lungs and gills, it requires moisture to function, but a Coconut Crab can drown if submerged in water.

Though I graduated from college in Computer Science, a future career in entomology or biology is not off the table if I decide I need a switch.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:51 pm 

I clicked this thinking it was the Anime thread and i'm like, "Why the fuck is everyone talking about animals?" D'oh!

Anyway, i think wolves are pretty awesome. Always thought it would be rad to have a wolf as a pet. Scare the shit outta people.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:41 am 

Octopuses are pretty cool:

http://youtu.be/x5DyBkYKqnM

And a really interesting, albeit long, article on their intelligence:

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/ ... icle/6474/

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:43 am 

TheAntagonist wrote:
I clicked this thinking it was the Anime thread and i'm like, "Why the fuck is everyone talking about animals?" D'oh!

Anyway, i think wolves are pretty awesome. Always thought it would be rad to have a wolf as a pet. Scare the shit outta people.

Wolf Hybrids are totally badass, one lives in my woods.

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Psh, dolphins are dicks.

I'm a pretty big fan of honeybees, I keep bees in my spare time and the entire colony structure is fascinating and undeniably intricate. Essentially,you can also teach bees to never harm certain folks just by being around them. There's a loyalty there that's pretty neat.

Also, bumblebees are cute.

Yes, dolphins are dicks. I use to go deep sea fishing a bunch and every time I'd catch something a goddamn dolphin would come by and fight me for it. So not only did i have to reel in some huge fish which was fighting for its life, I also had a dolphin fucking with it the whole time.

And if you dig bees, here is a sweet video of some hornets attacking a bee hive. Quite exciting actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L54exo8JTUs

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 am 

Here is a video of my cat sitting upright on his butt like he thinks he's people. It's a weird trait that his breed (Scottish Folds) are known to do. He sits like this all the time, or will sit with his back against a wall or a corner, and I've never seen another cat behave like this. Weirdo.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:33 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Here is a video of my cat sitting upright on his butt like he thinks he's people. It's a weird trait that his breed (Scottish Folds) are known to do. He sits like this all the time, or will sit with his back against a wall or a corner, and I've never seen another cat behave like this. Weirdo.

Hahaha, nice one. One of my cats always comes off as a monkey when he's washing himself while his sitting on his ass. Gotta love cats. :)

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:43 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Bass. They lurk deep.

:lol: As one of the people who reads Crappy Diem on a relatively regular basis, I heartily salute you.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next