Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:45 pm 

Hello,
I don't really know why, but that's what's happening, it happened 4 times in 6 months (I've been playing for 6 months). I thought it might be regular, but it's really happening frequently. I don't play too hard (or maybe I think so), does anyone know what's the causes of that ?
Thanks

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm 

What guitar and strings are you using?

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:15 pm 

In any case, perhaps it's because you're using strings that are too thin for your tuning. However, remember that you're actually supposed to change your strings regularly.

FenrirFangs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:24 pm 

I like never change my strings. It might be that you are picking too hard or as the guy above me stated they might be too thin for the tuning. Get some thicker strings.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:33 pm 

There are countless reasons guitar strings can break, so it can be a bit tough to pinpoint the cause. A few more thoughts that came up:

-Where are they breaking? The bridge, the nut, around the tuner?
-When you string the guitar, do you wind the strings 2-3 times around the peg, then stretch them/break them in?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:35 pm 

If the same string(s) keep breaking (at the bridge), you might have a rough spot on the bridge saddle.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:47 pm 

Maybe you're trying to get your guitar in tune and tune up accidentally? :lol: Happend to me so I'm just asking.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
There are countless reasons guitar strings can break, so it can be a bit tough to pinpoint the cause. A few more thoughts that came up:

-When you string the guitar, do you wind the strings 2-3 times around the peg, then stretch them/break them in?

Thanks everyone for replying,
The Low E string breaks when playing a palm muted part , it breaks near the bridge all the time, as for installing , the local shop installs them .

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 am 

Are you a retard like me? Did you tune the strings an octave too high? You don't want to be like me.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:03 am 

It sounds like what korgull described, the saddle may have a sharp edge that keeps breaking your strings. Since palm muting involves pushing the string toward the guitar in a spot very close to the bridge it would make sense that this technique would exacerbate a sharp saddle. However, you did say the strings were breaking near the bridge and if it is a sharp saddle the break would be directly on it. Next time a string breaks, pretend you a forensic scientist and take the broken string ends and bring them together to see where the break occurred. If it always right on the saddle, then you should take it to the shop to get the saddle fixed.

Also, I hope you are not paying much for the local shop to string your guitar for you. This is really something that anyone but the youngest of guitar players can learn how to.

death234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:25 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
It sounds like what korgull described, the saddle may have a sharp edge that keeps breaking your strings. Since palm muting involves pushing the string toward the guitar in a spot very close to the bridge it would make sense that this technique would exacerbate a sharp saddle. However, you did say the strings were breaking near the bridge and if it is a sharp saddle the break would be directly on it. Next time a string breaks, pretend you a forensic scientist and take the broken string ends and bring them together to see where the break occurred. If it always right on the saddle, then you should take it to the shop to get the saddle fixed.

Also, I hope you are not paying much for the local shop to string your guitar for you. This is really something that anyone but the youngest of guitar players can learn how to.

Yeah dude I would learn how to string your guitar. Also try some heavier strings. I used to use D'Addario. They have a 56 gage 6th string and some thicker. If you break that your fucking beating the shit out of that 6th string dude, but if thats to thick for you try starting at Ernie Ball's purple pack and then work your way up if that doesn't work.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:59 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

Thanks everyone for replying,
The Low E string breaks when playing a palm muted part , it breaks near the bridge all the time, as for installing , the local shop installs them .

It's likely something that's a bit rough/sharp rubbing against the string then. A few more questions to narrow it down:

What model/type of guitar is it? Some guitars have different spots behind the bridge where the string is held. Strat-type guitars often break strings on the tremolo block (inside the guitar) unless it's filed down for a more gentle angle at which the strings bend. Do the strings bend at anything close to a right angle?

What type of strings do you use? Does the wrapping near the ball end rest against anything when it's strung up?

Do you use a different size strings than the guitar came with?

Do you play a right-handed guitar lefty?

Finally, please learn to string and set up your guitar, it's not hard :P

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:47 pm 

I originally play keyboard so my guitar is Cort X1 :D it's the cheapest I found, and I ask him to install them because he offers it for free, I never tried to do it myself.
The strings type are Ernie Ball 0.11 or 11 ? :P they're thicker than the ones that came with the guitar.
I don't play a right handed guitar lefty.
And yeah this time I'll install them myself, but what should I check when installing them ?
thanks for help everyone.
And yeah, I've been playing for six months only :)

death234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:54 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
I originally play keyboard so my guitar is Cort X1 :D it's the cheapest I found, and I ask him to install them because he offers it for free, I never tried to do it myself.
The strings type are Ernie Ball 0.11 or 11 ? :P they're thicker than the ones that came with the guitar.
And yeah this time I'll install them myself, but what should I check when installing them ?

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:

I don't have a lot of experience with that type of bridge, but heavier strings tend to break on that type of bridge, I think it's just how it rubs against the saddle. I haven't personally worked on one, but you should be able to adjust it so it works fine with heavier strings. I won't give advice on digging/filing it out though, since I haven't worked on one and I'm not positive on what to do with them.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm 

Tell the guitar store guy about it. Get a small, round file and he will show you how to (carefully) file the grooves that the strings make on the bridge.

EmbodimentofFire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:32 am 

korgull wrote:
If the same string(s) keep breaking (at the bridge), you might have a rough spot on the bridge saddle.

Exactly. I had this with my 5 string Spector. I've changed my strings and broke my new G-string (not funny) instantly. I thought I'd made a mistake but also a new string popped as i've put it on the bridge. Used a file to make the rough spots in the bridge even, and then the problem was solved.

Dischord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:22 pm 

I used to break the 5th string at the bridge all the time, could not find a rough spot or spur there at all. So I switched from Elixir 10-46 to SIT 10-46 and have never had that problem since.

Something to think about.

Check for a spur or rough spot, if not then change string brands and see if that fixes it. I recommend the SIT's personally, but go with what suits you.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:50 pm 

It's also possible you're bringing your hand down a bit too hard on the strings when you're going to palm mute. I had the same problem for several years, then one day I realized just how hard I slammed my hand on the strings when I palm mute....by missing slightly and hitting the corner of the bridge, and it HURT. So keep an eye on that aspect of your technique.

Reply to topic