Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:55 pm 

Sound Chaser wrote:
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm digging it. It has a very hypnotic groove to it. Also, the drum sound is sick.

Quite, I was very sad when Jens said their new stuff would be slower but due to a new found love of Funeral Doom/Drone I found this track to be really awesome and if the rest of the CD follows suit this could easily crush ObZen.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm 

I prefer their thrashier chaotic stuff. This is a bit...sleep inducing. Maybe it will grow on me. They usually do.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:23 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
Like on Nothing (rerelease) Nebulous around the 3.13 mark & 3.56 (not the best example of what I mean) and especially all over DEI, guess maybe I'm in trouble for saying bluesy downbeat, distorted bluesyness?

Rerelease? Does that somehow affect the bluesiness of this downbeat?

Anyhow, I'll have to check those out. From the little I've listened to Meshuggah, blues is among the last things it reminded me of. Downbeat is unfamiliar to me as a musical term, and I doubt such a thing exists. Hence my skepticism.

A downbeat is a slang term for the first beat of the measure, or the accented beats of the meter (as opposed to upbeats). I have absolutely no idea what mindshadow means by bluesy downbeats though.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:28 pm 

If that's so, he might be referring to some particular style of accentuation.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:27 pm 

That song was about as interesting as watching someone sleep. Speaking of, I almost fell asleep listening to it.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:31 pm 

Most of the board here doesn't like Meshuggah on principle, so I wouldn't really expect anything less in terms of criticism.

As for me, love the song. Meshuggah goes doom! Love how they're always moving forward in style!

-Tracie Harris

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:36 pm 

JT Rager, what the hell do you understand as "doom metal"?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:57 pm 

Wha- what? Meshuggah is a lot of things, but being doomy isn't one of them. Maybe JT is talking about a certain atmosphere? The new song is definitely more atmospheric than ObZen.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:06 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Wha- what? Meshuggah is a lot of things, but being doomy isn't one of them. Maybe JT is talking about a certain atmosphere? The new song is definitely more atmospheric than ObZen.

He's just saying that because the vocalist said that they've been listening to a lot of doom/drone so it probably influenced them in the writing process.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

He's just saying that because the vocalist said that they've been listening to a lot of doom/drone so it probably influenced them in the writing process.

Ah, that makes sense I guess... Still, if they have used any doom/drone influences, it's minimal.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:52 pm 

Absolutely love the song! Looking forward to the album.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:42 pm 

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY3GGCjf6aE

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:13 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Possibly, though the original may have been even more bluesy as it took me longer to appreciate nothing the second time as the guitars are more prominent less downbeat? - yes I know your being sarcastic

Pfuntner wrote:
A downbeat is a slang term for the first beat of the measure, or the accented beats of the meter (as opposed to upbeats). I have absolutely no idea what mindshadow means by bluesy downbeats though.

Well ok I worded it wrong and Ilwhyan jumped on me from a great height, what I meant was it sounds bluesy in places (which gives me a feeling of detachment) and the music often drops of(?) scales down(?) then a quieter passage before the chaos ensues again. I meant both bluesy and downbeat sounding. It's not upbeat is it :roll:
:ugh:

Quote:
Massive downbeats rule this album.
ask the reviewer who wrote this about Catch 33 :)

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:56 pm 

This song is growing on me. That pluck pluck pluck at the beginning isn't very good, but once that fades out, the song gets pretty good. The really low bass-y rumble underneath the repeating riff is really awesome. It shakes my surroundings.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 pm 

I usually like it when bands slow things down but man that was boring...

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:23 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

Funny, I was reminded of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzaI6jQM0wE

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 pm 

Just a big fat whopping LAME.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:03 am 

Listened to it about 3 or 4 times now and I am growing to enjoy it. I wonder what the rest of the album has to offer. If they're all like this I might be disappointed but it will take some time to see.

I still think this'll be their last album before splitting up. I have a hunch.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:22 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Is there any reason whatsoever to think that this is true? I've never seen any indication of this and I see no reason why they should stop now, at the height of their popularity. Seems like an unwise move to me for their careers.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:33 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Is there any reason whatsoever to think that this is true? I've never seen any indication of this and I see no reason why they should stop now, at the height of their popularity. Seems like an unwise move to me for their careers.

There's no evidence of it but I just have a funny feeling. I would love to be wrong, considering I masturbate over this band.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:19 am 

MikeyC wrote:
There's no evidence of it but I just have a funny feeling. I would love to be wrong, considering I masturbate over this band.

I hope you can masturbate in 23/16 time.

Anyway, about this alleged doom metal that everyone seems to be hearing in this... where is it? I don't see it personally, all I hear is more of the usual CHUGGACHUGGACHUGGACHUG riffs, just slower.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:18 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
There's no evidence of it [breaking up] but I just have a funny feeling. I would love to be wrong, considering I masturbate over this band.

Musically, that would probably be the best thing to happen to the members of Meshuggah. Then, maybe the second Special Defects would finally surface... A lot of Obzen + this new song sound mostly like autopilot.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:00 am 

jerk wrote:

Does nobody know that all of their songs are in 4/4?

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:38 am 

jerk wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Anyway, about this alleged doom metal that everyone seems to be hearing in this... where is it? I don't see it personally, all I hear is more of the usual CHUGGACHUGGACHUGGACHUG riffs, just slower.

ha! That almost deserves to be sigged. . .
it isn't really that innovative nor is it new, but let's face it, Meshuggah aren't exactly doing us a disservice so far. That song isn't bad at all.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 am 

SweetSilence wrote:
jerk wrote:

Not strictly. For example, the snare and cymbal pattern in "New Millennium Cyanide Christ" is in 4/4 and the bass drum pattern is in 23/16. And the guitars are almost never in 4/4. The only song they've released which relies on a straight 4/4 time is "Bleed". But I'm not sure how polyrhythms count, so you could be right. Ah well, you live and you learn.

veryevildead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:12 am 

I like the song. Its not amazing or anything but its cool. I dig Meshuggah, can't wait to check the album out.

Anyone ever see them live? They put on a good show? I haven't seen them before and was thinking about catching this tour.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:24 am 

veryevildead wrote:
Anyone ever see them live? They put on a good show? I haven't seen them before and was thinking about catching this tour.

All you have to do is watch the Alive DVD to get your answer. I find myself listening to the CD of Alive more than their full-lengths. The performances are flawless and the production is more bass-y and full than their studio albums, it's very addicting. Plus, the setlist on Alive is perfect.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:27 am 

SweetSilence wrote:
jerk wrote:

I don't. What gave you that idea?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:46 am 

Expedience wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:

Drums are played in 4/4. Guitars aren't.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:37 am 

Wilytank wrote:

Quote:

That is true for many of their songs but for example, the start of Electric Red - I can't see how you could construe that as 4/4

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:58 am 

I'm pretty sure the guitars are mostly written in 4/4 with the drums actually utilising the poly rhythms.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:30 pm 

Meshuggah is my favorite band this year

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:46 am 

Expedience wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:

All of the members of Meshuggah did. They say that the majority of their songs are based on 4/4 and variants there of. That's also how they view their songs when they play them. Listen to their interviews if you want more info. It's bit of an endless and silly discussion.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:42 am 

Most metal musicians are self taught and have no idea about theory. You can listen for yourself, which it seems you haven't done.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:40 am 

Expedience wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Quote:

That is true for many of their songs but for example, the start of Electric Red - I can't see how you could construe that as 4/4

Listen to the intro, it's the easiest to hear it. There are four sections that are in 7/8, or have seven eighth beats. Then there is a measure of 2/4, two quarter notes, and then it repeats. You can clap your hand at every quarter note and get 16 quarter notes, the same amount of quarter notes in four 4/4 measures. The rest of the song repeats the pattern.

It's true that all their songs are in 4/4, but the guitar/bass drum riffs are written with polymeters that shift in just the right way so eventually they eventually align with the 4/4 portions. It's essentially just syncopation, but it's arguably the most complex syncopation you can get.

-Tracie Harris

Xanzotire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:07 pm 

I've never really been able to get into Meshuggah in the past. When they're good, which usually means, when they're thrashy, they're very good, but when they're doing their slow groove type thing they can put me to sleep. Having said which, I kind of dig a few of the riffs on this new song, and the timing seems fine to me. If you listen to it hard it could get pretty tiring, but if you get into the groove, it's hypnotic enough to carry me along all the way through. My verdict would be, not good enough to get me to buy an album, but enough to peak my interest.
Rush in and die, dogs--I was a man before I was a king." - R. Howard

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:47 pm 

I'm not digging it. I've never been more than a casual listener to Meshuggah, and this doesn't sound all that interesting.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:27 am 

JT Rager wrote:
Listen to the intro, it's the easiest to hear it. There are four sections that are in 7/8, or have seven eighth beats. Then there is a measure of 2/4, two quarter notes, and then it repeats. You can clap your hand at every quarter note and get 16 quarter notes, the same amount of quarter notes in four 4/4 measures. The rest of the song repeats the pattern.

It's true that all their songs are in 4/4, but the guitar/bass drum riffs are written with polymeters that shift in just the right way so eventually they eventually align with the 4/4 portions. It's essentially just syncopation, but it's arguably the most complex syncopation you can get.

You don't have to have the whole piece in one time signature, adding up all the separate bars to make up one signature of the whole piece. Many pieces change signatures throughout. Combining the rhythms into one is silly.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 am 

Well, it seems unfortunate that this is my first Meshuggah song. Booooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnngggggggg..... One-dimensional vocals, far too much repetition without bringing any new ideas to develop the part further. Really it's just a song that goes nowhere.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
Like on Nothing (rerelease) Nebulous around the 3.13 mark & 3.56 (not the best example of what I mean) and especially all over DEI, guess maybe I'm in trouble for saying bluesy downbeat, distorted bluesyness?

Anyhow, I'll have to check those out. From the little I've listened to Meshuggah, blues is among the last things it reminded me of. Downbeat is unfamiliar to me as a musical term, and I doubt such a thing exists. Hence my skepticism.

The re-recorded version features different tempos on a few (I think) of the songs from the original record.
As for this song: I'm speechless. In a bad way, that is. What happened here? I haven't listened to Nothing
as much as their previous and later releases, but I can't remember being this bored by Meshuggah, ever before.
I agree on most of the comments on the drum sound though, it sounds like a thick wall of drums.

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next