Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:23 am 

Quote:
Guitarist Kerry King of California thrash metal legends SLAYER recently spoke to U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's next album, which they hope to begin recording within the next few weeks.

"Currently, we're taking a break, but I am very excited by the way it's all turning out so far," King said. "I've worked up three songs with Dave [Lombardo, drums], and they're sounding really refreshing and energetic. I'm certain that I'll have three more ready to go when we return to action. And then there's the stuff that Jeff [Hanneman, guitar] will also bring to the table."

He added, "One thing I can tell you is that the songs are shaping up in the classic SLAYER style. You won't be hearing us doing acoustic stuff. [laughs]"

Kerry is hoping that Greg Fidelman, who co-produced 2009's "World Painted Blood" with Rick Rubin, will be at the helm for the new album. "That's the idea, anyway," Kerry said. "But it all depends on his availability. . . I don't think we'll spend long in the studio this time, either. We're gonna do it old-school style and get things done fast. In fact, we are already ahead of schedule. The album will be ready for a summer release. But whether it's put out at that time is down to the record label [American]. They might have other plans. But we want it with the fans during the summer."

King also spoke about Hanneman's current state of health. Jeff in January 2011 contracted necrotizing fasciitis, likely caused by a spider bite, and has been undergoing surgeries, skin grafts and intense rehab since. Not only did this effectively put him out of action for the whole year, it came close to killing him, Thankfully, he's making a good recovery.

"Yeah, we could go onstage right now with him and do 'Mandatory Suicide'," Kerry said. "If that was the only song in our set, Jeff would be fine. But he's slowly getting back to full fitness and by the time we're ready to tour, he'll be right back onstage with us."

He added, "We always said we'd never entertain the idea of doing an album without [Jeff]. But there he is, getting those riffs ready!"

SLAYER will perform its classic 1986 album "Reign In Blood" in its entirety at All Tomorrow's Parties' second U.K. "I'll Be Your Mirror" event, which is scheduled to take place n the weekend of May 25-27 at Alexandra Palace, London, England. A strange move, considering they've done this several times before.

"The organizers asked us to do it! If it were left up to me, then I'd have turned it down, simply because it's been done, so why repeat it?" King said. "But it's such a classic album that people always ask us to do it."

SLAYER's latest album, "World Painted Blood", sold 41,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 12 on The Billboard 200 chart.

Let me be the first to say GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. Slayer's last album was great musically, but that shitty sound... oh that shitty sound... Please don't use Fidelman. Anyone but him. WPB sounded so awful.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Last edited by Mike_64 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:28 am 

Kerry King wrote:
I've worked up three songs with Dave, and they're sounding really refreshing and energetic.

You should read between the lies.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:00 am 

Who wants to bet it'll be just as uninspired as everything else they've done post-SitA?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:19 am 

Whenever classic bands say a new album "will be a return to old school" usually it ends up as anything but. Look no farther than Morbid Angel.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:26 am 

Old band is old. Expectations should be set accordingly.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:53 am 

last 2 Slayer records totally kicked ass so I'm expecting this one to kick ass too!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:07 am 

So we'll end up seeing it either Halloween or around Christmas.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:30 am 

Oh wow. World Painted Blood was completely terrible and Christ Illusion only had few mildly enjoyable songs. I can't see this new album being any better.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:59 am 

Smalley wrote:
Who wants to bet it'll be just as uninspired as everything else they've done post-SitA?

+1.

Per_Ignem_Ad_Lucem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 am 

Mike_64 wrote:
Quote:
Guitarist Kerry King of California thrash metal legends SLAYER recently spoke to U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's next album, which they hope to begin recording within the next few weeks.

"Currently, we're taking a break, but I am very excited by the way it's all turning out so far," King said. "I've worked up three songs with Dave [Lombardo, drums], and they're sounding really refreshing and energetic. I'm certain that I'll have three more ready to go when we return to action. And then there's the stuff that Jeff [Hanneman, guitar] will also bring to the table."

He added, "One thing I can tell you is that the songs are shaping up in the classic '83 to '85 style. You won't be hearing us doing anything like the more recent stuff. [laughs]"

Fucking yes, about time!
Metal will rule in my masterscheme."

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:30 am 

I've never bothered to listen to anything after Divine Intervention, and I don't think this album will really change that.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

MrDisgrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:37 am 

Pretty much given up on them after God Hates Us All. Listened to some of the songs off of their new album and god dammit they were terrible. I think I'll pass on this one.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:21 am 

hope they really come back to form, haven`t released any good since DI
Not hearsay but the will of man

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:30 am 

I seriously thought these dudes were done.

My Ebay Store

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:35 am 

I'd have more confidence in this album if Greg Fidelman doesn't get involved. Their last album would have been a hell of a lot better if he didn't botch the production.

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:39 am 

americanholocaust wrote:

They should call it quits already. Shit's gay.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 pm 

No one needs your pessimistic bee-s. Give them a chance and wait for the release rather than shit on it without hearing it beforehand.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:17 pm 

SmithMetal84 wrote:
americanholocaust wrote:

They should call it quits already. Shit's gay.

why in hell would they do that? theres nothing wrong with their last couple albums and they still put on amazing concerts

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 pm 

Bring on the new SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYER!
And after that they should tour again with Marilyn Manson after he puts out his death metal album.
WPB was great and i think they can only get better so naysayers fuck off! Megadeth's "Endgame" had a few good songs and 13 was a return to them playing Adult Contemporary Metal in other words, shit! Slayer has always been better so if you think they should be "done", Dave and Co. should get "done" first!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:35 pm 

While I don't like the last two albums as much as their earlier albums, they're still pretty good for what they are. The production actually doesn't bother me that much; it's more Araya's vocals than anything else that makes me skeptical. Hopefully he can try approaching them at a different pitch but I'm looking forward to this either way.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:47 pm 

I didn't mind the production on Christ Illusion, even though I think World Painted Blood has better individual songs for the most part. I'm curious as to whether perhaps self-producing the album with a capable sound engineer or two from the former isn't out of the question. Even though Josh Abraham produced CI, King has stated in interviews that he was virtually a non-factor in the recording of the album when he was present and was preoccupied with other things most of the time. They hit the road again at the end of May and if they truly want to get it done quickly and in time, a short list of producers is probably already prepared. Yes, I'd prefer if Fidelman wasn't available, but I'll feel about as good if they hit the studio with finished ideas as opposed to writing the songs during the recording process. I was hoping for new Exodus this year although now I'm not so sure when they're hitting the studio, so I'll take a new Slayer album as ample consolation.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm 

Yeah this will probably be disappointing, but whatever, it's Slayer. I hope to see them live a few more times before they disband.

Also, Jeff should write a song called necrotizing fasciitis.

james1902009
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 pm 

In my incredibly humble opinion, World Painted Blood was a great, rather varied album with not a single bad song. Bring on the new SLAYER!

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:04 pm 

Yes.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:54 pm 

ralfikk123 wrote:
No one needs your pessimistic bee-s. Give them a chance and wait for the release rather than shit on it without hearing it beforehand.

The last 18 years of Slayer haven't earned them much bene of the doubt, though.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:23 pm 

I'm not really expecting much with the new album, but I'll give it a chance.

The more important thing is that Slayer will tour for the album, and I'll get to see them (again!). And this time, I'll get pit tickets so I can rage my face off to Angel of Death.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:47 pm 

world painted blood was horrible ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.
Nothing was good about it. It sounded like a goddamn slayer parody.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:12 pm 

they sounded like a parody of themselves all the way through the 90's (except for DI maybe) and early 00's. the last two records were a sort of return to form though. christ illusion was alright, and world painted blood was high class all the way through. perhaps the production and tom's vocals were a bit harder to get into, but what the hell!

I'll surely check out this album.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:15 pm 

They are an awful band, liked by awful people.

But, can't deny the decency of their earliest works, but honestly, this band has release a handful of good songs, but never a good album.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:18 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
this band has release a handful of good songs, but never a good album.

:nono:

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:20 pm 

I was actually a little excited until I saw that Greg (fuck up every album mix I touch) Fidelman was going to be involved again.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
But, can't deny the decency of their earliest works, but honestly, this band has release a handful of good songs, but never a good album.

Insanity. Spitting on the graves of our ancestors.

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:30 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
They are an awful band, liked by awful people.

Blasphemy... pure blasphemy.
No but srsly, Reign in Blood is one of the greatest thrash metal albums of all time and only a misinformed fool, an avante-garde faggot or a broken headed simpleton would deny it.
I will admit that since then they are absolute piss shit, though.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:39 pm 

Last 2 albums were rubbish. I expect nothing different here.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:15 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
this band has release a handful of good songs, but never a good album.

Yeah, they've totally not inspired entire genres or anything. :scratch:

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:19 pm 

yet more awesome news. Hopefully the production will be better then World Painted Blood.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 pm 

So... Kerry King WANTS to rush through the recording process and use a producer that hasn't resulted in any positive feedback.

It's like he wants the album to suck or something. And honestly, does that statement of his actually list any promising qualities? Do we have any reason to suspect that this album will not be terrible?

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:18 pm 

Nothing to see here.

MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:19 pm 

Ribos wrote:
So... Kerry King WANTS to rush through the recording process and use a producer that hasn't resulted in any positive feedback.

It's like he wants the album to suck or something. And honestly, does that statement of his actually list any promising qualities? Do we have any reason to suspect that this album will not be terrible?

Do we even have any reason to bother with this album after 22 years of mediocrity and consistently bad records that only sell on the basis that the band was once good?

Araya's voice is getting progressively worse anyway, there's no return to glory.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:30 pm 

I will listen to the record when it leaks so as to give it an opportunity, but only because it's Slayer. WPB only had like two good songs (Psychopathy Red and the titletrack), so I'm not really holding my breath for this.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next