Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sekt731
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:13 pm 

Let's say that your government have had an underground located research facility, where scientists have experimented with viruses. To create the perfect weapon of mass destruction. They did manage to create a mutated rabies like virus, which fucks up the signal system of your brain. it creates an emotional breakdown, and stimulates only the rage oriented emotional reactions of your perception. This virus also breaks down your physical body, slowly, and in the meanwhile the infected person goes fucking berserk. And the virus is transmitted through saliva and blood. The classic 28 days later scenario that is. And somhow things got out of hand, and the virus reached the surface of society.

SO, with this in mind, how does your survival chances look like? Let's say that the TV program you are watching is interrupted by a information broadcast to tell you basically that you are being royally fucked by "the living dead". What's your chance of survival? From this very moment of understanding, how would you act? Where would you go and what would you bring?

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:34 pm 

I would buy a gun, and read the rules from the movie Zombieland to help survive. Wouldn't hurt to have a few other weapons on me.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:36 pm 

In the walking dead there was an episode where they covered themselves in blood and pretended to be one of them. Finally, a chance to be yourself without getting stares from everybody.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:22 am 

My girlfriend has a quirk where she judges houses and other establishments by how well they'd hold up during a zombie apocalypse (My house works). My experiences with Humans Versus Zombies, zombie films, and Cracked.com reading may give me an idea of what to expect, but I'd probably still die.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:51 am 

Go to my local wal-mart with my trusty "Zombie survival handbook" and my battle axe, and of course a boombox blasting CC, ED or Mortician, but then we're all gonna die anyway according to canadian studys. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... earch.html
NOTE; using ANYTHING you learned from the "coming of age teen film" zombieland to survive in a Zombie apocalypse is a sure way to die. Very quickly.

HisZvironistOverlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:18 am 

I'm not going to lie; my chances of survival are very low. I'm not the most fit (firmly in the skinnyfat camp) and not the most experienced with guns. And while reasonably smart (or at least I'd like to think so....), not so in any way that would be useful when all society has collapsed and rebuilding becomes a priority, such as engineering, the trades, agriculture, science, etc. I would like to fix this though. You know, just in case. Though I would prefer a Fallout/Mad Max kind of scenario.

I'd like to think that my knowledge of zombie or apocalyptic movies/games/books/whatever would be the only thing that would ever give me some sort of advantage. Sometimes when I'm bored on public transportation I look around and imagine what everybody on the train would be like in some sort of apocalyptic event. How effective as a group we'd be, where I'd rank in it, what I could offer, etc :/. I also do the same for a Red Dawnstyle invasion of North America and mine and the fellow passenger's guerilla group.

Wibble23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 am 

Just stagger about, eyes glazed, as demonstrated in the movie Redneck Zombies. Also, moaning "Brainssss, brainssss" might help... Mind you, if Zombiegeddon occured during a saturday night in any major town/city centre, the zombies might get confused...

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:14 am 

I doubt I would survive very long, I cant run well, dont have a car (or any other mode of transport really), live in a ground floor flat, and don't have much in way of weapons unless kitchen knives or deodrant flame throwers would count!

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 am 

I'd go to the little grocery store next to my house. steal all their canned food, protein supplements and vitamin pills. Steal their truck and drive to that old cabin in the woods far up in the mountains. HAHA! got you stupid world virus!

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:04 pm 

Well I am kinda blessed with the perfect surroundings :d. First there is a small hospital across the street, second 4 pharmacies that are 30 seconds to 2 min away and finally a fairly big grocery store 30 seconds away. So i would go and take what i need from the grocery store (I will take a lot of honey its long lasting and it will help). Then go to the pharmacies take whatever i need and then I have three choices go home and home is on the 6th floor, or go on the 7th floor cause they have blocked the stairway and you need a key to continue and the only other way there is by the elevator so its pretty safe. Finally the last possibility is to go to the hospital because it has two roofs, one is way lower than the other (something like 1,5 floors high) and there are two ways of getting there climbing which is easy for a human not so easy for a zombie or through a window which can be easily blocked and once i reach the roof I can start killing zombies. So yeah surroundings are crucial, but I am still missing a gun so I will have to buy one just in case :d

Oh yeah and i forgot my city is surrounded by mountains and they are maybe 40 min to 1h away from where I am so if I am extremely lucky I can go there

Seul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:01 am 

I'd be totally fucked. .. like basically everyone else. I have asthma and a torn ligament that keeps me from running without taping it up. so unless I had an outfitted bunker .. see first sentence.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:12 am 

Everything will work out fine once you put down the speculative fiction and get back to work.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:16 am 

Indeed, infection by bite is hands down the least effective way to transmit a disease...I doubt that zombie outbreaks in the classical sense could ever happen.

I, however, run 6-9 miles a day, grew up trained in firearms, am an amateur boxer, have a rural surrounding, and grow my own veggies along with having my own rainwater purifier at my place...I'd be fine for a little while, at the very least, I could move for long distances.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

SouthernViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:56 pm 

My plan involves sittin on my porch and take pot shots at the rotten bastards while drunk and some hog roasting on the fire. Might be deader than hell at the end of this lil party but it'll be fun. The hogs around here will take care of most of them anyway, malignant lil fuckers they are.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:50 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Go to my local wal-mart with my trusty "Zombie survival handbook" and my battle axe, and of course a boombox blasting CC, ED or Mortician, but then we're all gonna die anyway according to canadian studys. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... earch.html
NOTE; using ANYTHING you learned from the "coming of age teen film" zombieland to survive in a Zombie apocalypse is a sure way to die. Very quickly.

"professor Robert J. Smith?, whose last name contains a question mark to distinguish his common name from that of other researchers" haha that's pretty awesome.

Though they didn't say "we're all going to die", just that it would lead to the collapse of civilization, which isn't surprising in the slightest really. Humans can live without civilization (there are some doing it right now).

I guess I'd have an average chance for survival. I'm reasonably fit (I run every day) but I'm not particularly skilled in finding food. I am fairly resourceful though and have a lot of things in my apartment that I could use as weapons (guitars, cymbal stands, large kitchen knives, etc).

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm 

My dwelling is untouchable and unreachable by zombies, so I'm good there. Shotguns and homemade napalm are all the weapons I'll need.

last.fm

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm 

Well i own a rifle and several swords. And my parents have handguns. Living in America has an advantage since we have a lot of gun owners here.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:43 pm 

I have a new pushbike

:???:

_Hidden_One_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:27 pm 

Surviving a zombie outbreak; this would definitely be difficult. Though I am quick to think, independent, knowledgable and good with guns, i can't help but think i would eventually become a zombie's meal' Self-doubt, along with anxiety and or depression, and most certainly fear, would soon overcome any person, given the situation. At the beginning of the outbreak i would stay where i am barricading myself in a safe place, likely my attic, gather all neccessary supplies to sustain me for at least a few weeks, and simply try to survive. after the initial panic and riots settle down, I would travel to a new location, a safer one, if there were other survivers i would hope to find them as well. however, over all, if the zombie outbreak were to occur, i believe humanity would be "fucked" so to speak, as people are to self rigtious and self absorbed, working for themselves, which, eventually, if not quickly, lead them to their death and because of this, I have not developed too detailed of a plan past momentary survival.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:01 am 

Depends what kind of zombies. Classic zombies don't feel shock from high explosives like humans do, so it'd take months or even years for military to clean up. For me, it's a matter of how long I can survive in the hills of California. I'm out of shape and I'm not very resourceful, so it's not very long.

Modern zombies like 28 Days Later or Left 4 Dead zombies would be pretty easy for military to clean up, but they run and will keep running and climbing until they get you. More of a short-term survival situation

Either way, I'm fucked. :)

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:28 am 

I'm screwed. I'm not that athletic (could probably outrun classic zombies, but if it's modern zombies they'd be too fast for me), and while I have plenty of things I could use as improvised weapons, I live in a country where you can't own firearms. Even if I could escape, a lot of the terrain around here is jungle, which would be very difficult to get through and hard to spot zombies in. Well, I've read the Zombie Survival Guide, so maybe that would help.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 pm 

I think I would make it. I don't have any guns in my house, but I do have an axe, several sledge hammers, and other heavy tools that would be good for smashing zombie brains out (thank god my dad is in construction haha). My dad has a pretty big truck, so I would get my family in there and drive to the nearest gun store (I'm in the US, so finding one is really quite easy). No one in my family has any experience with guns, but we would still need them eventually. We're all in rather good shape as well, so we wouldn't have trouble outrunning any zombie guys.

I would take my family far north, up into Canada to wait out the disaster. Spend my time listening to Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower and random punk bands, bashing in zombie heads. :D

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:38 pm 

I don't think it's a good idea to kill zombies with close range weapons... I mean, you only have to get bitten once, and you're screwed. My tactic would be to stay the hell away from densely populated areas. But as you may know, the Netherlands are very densely populated. So I'd probably have to migrate to another country. Maybe I'd travel to the woods of germany, and hope to find some survivors there. It would be very hard to actually get there though, and I would probably perish while trying to escape this huge semi-urban area I'm in.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:06 pm 

Meh, I'll take my chances with the axe and hammers (which all have like 3feet handles).

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:24 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea to kill zombies with close range weapons... I mean, you only have to get bitten once, and you're screwed. My tactic would be to stay the hell away from densely populated areas. But as you may know, the Netherlands are very densely populated. So I'd probably have to migrate to another country. Maybe I'd travel to the woods of germany, and hope to find some survivors there. It would be very hard to actually get there though, and I would probably perish while trying to escape this huge semi-urban area I'm in.

It should be noted that most Zombie can hear, henceforth Firearms (Especially shottys) would draw their attention like a meal bell, Crossbows for long range, Axes, swords and hammers those are your best bets, and for satans sake DO NOT use a chainsaw, unless its your last resort or you've already been bitten.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:04 pm 

I can't believe no one here actually wants to turn and feed on their fucking neighbors. I don't know about you but I'm from the 80s. You know I'm rolling 100 deep hunting for your weak ass. You'd be lucky if you take out one or two of my buddies before we fuck your shit up. You survive by joining in in the feast to end all mankind. The only way to exit is going piece by piece.

Last edited by nekuomanteia on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:49 pm 

i doubt i would survive 5 seconds, my house is horrible when it comes to zombies, way too many windows and doors, i would try to drive a car to the nearest river, steal a boat and fish as well as i can for food.......zombies cant swim right? :P

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:31 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
i doubt i would survive 5 seconds, my house is horrible when it comes to zombies, way too many windows and doors, i would try to drive a car to the nearest river, steal a boat and fish as well as i can for food.......zombies cant swim right? :P

No, but you'd have to keep an eye out for the occasional floater that would try to get on your boat, otherwise one of the best plans.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 pm 

Would zombies sink or float? The eternal question. Depends on the exact physiology. Based on the kind of zombies specified by the OP, they presumably would float as much as a normal human being floats. What would mainly be at issue is capable they are of effectively swimming, effectively locating a boat off the shore, and effectively lifting themselves out of the water and onto the boat.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:21 pm 

I've got guns and friends with guns. We can camp out in the attic of a farmhouse or something for as long as it takes, until it is time to move. Then we'd probably shoot for places with as few entrances as possible that can be easily maintained. Police stations, prisons, post offices.. Something like that.. Also Wal-Mart was a plan, since it has everything you'd need. Alot of places to block off though

My Ebay Store

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:30 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
Also Wal-Mart was a plan, since it has everything you'd need. Alot of places to block off though

Not really, the emergency doors can only be open from the inside and all the dock doors aren't ground level, the only doors you'd need to worry about are the front and the have the chain link crap they use on mall kiosks, which zombies have a hard time getting through, plus if they DO get through, on some of crazy chance, you can always relocate to the roof. Which you should have already set up with smoke signals/living necessity's.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:41 pm 

Yeah, I didn't consider the entrances have an emergency gate. Other than looters, Wal-mart would probably be the best place as far is supplies and simple fortification is concerned. But if they break in, there is alot of ground to cover...

My Ebay Store

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Go to my local wal-mart with my trusty "Zombie survival handbook"

That book is completely useless.

In any case, I would probably go somewhere there the terrain is very flat, not too much blocking my vision, but there would need to be a forest near my settlement somewhere (assuming this zombie outbreak is world wide and affects most power plants, emergency services, etc.), along with edible wildlife (both fauna and flora). This would most likely be a rural area with a hunting community established there, so whatever house I happen to come across and inhabit will probably have some sort of firearm should I encounter trouble. Worst comes to worst? .22 caliber handgun and LOTS of ammo from Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire (shitty department store in Canada).

Lol

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:05 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
TheEvilSocky wrote:

Not completely, you could use it for a survival fire. Unless it has glossy pages, then it's pretty much useless.

hnv1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:18 pm 

Reach a higher ground fortify for a while gather a large group of survivors and start spreading out

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:23 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
TheEvilSocky wrote:

ALL books are useless, knowledge is a lie, everything you know is a misconception created by a half developed mind wrought within a tumor that only wishes to configure some sort of an existence outside of the living hell that is....

But that doesn't make it any less fun to read :-D .

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

No, but you'd have to keep an eye out for the occasional floater that would try to get on your boat, otherwise one of the best plans.

true, in that case i would get justin beiber as a sacrifice(though not much of a sacrifice) for the first zombie, or use him as target practice.......if only i could find a gun :P or maybe use him for batting practice....he has to have a use :P

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 pm 

I would get an MP5, lots of ammo, and go nuts.

Why?

I have an MP5 airsoft gun, which I am a crack shot with. In video games, I always perform best with an MP5. It's not experience, but I would know where the bolt, mag release, sights, etc. are on the gun. After that, I don't know, and I would probably crack and die really quickly. :cry:
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 am 

I would probably go to the mountains and buy a couple of guns in case I had to kill a zombie.

some of you may want to read through this article, its pretty entertaining:

7 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Outbreak Would Fail (Quickly)

Reply to topic