Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 am 

sorry not exactly a catchy thread title but i am curious because of the psycroptic thread, what are some bands that could be great but one member ruins it?

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:16 am 

I know there's gonna be some people that disagree with me here, but Vio-Lence is the classic example. Excel too.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:20 am 

godsonsafari wrote:
I know there's gonna be some people that disagree with me here, but Vio-Lence is the classic example. Excel too.

Totally agree. Horrid vocalist. Don't know how anyone can like him.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:36 am 

Pre-Blizzard Beasts Immortal was greatly hampered by Abbath's spotty drumming.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:55 am 

Not considered metal by many, and I say this a lot, but Periphery immediately came to mind. The whiny vocalist completely shits all over some really interesting songs. That's why I listen to the instrumental version only.

Another band that comes to mind is Nile. The reason being in Karl Sanders's leads, which have some of the ugliest sweeps I've ever heard. I love the band, but at the same time get annoyed with his soloing.

ErectileProjectile
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:06 am 

I'd say Megadeth, Dave is a terrible singer imo.
The fat guy in Týr, not that it ruins the music for me or anything.

Actually, obese band members really make me lose respect for a band for some reason.
And who the hell cares about Virgin Steele? That band doesn't matter.

You sir, have made a very powerful enemy this day.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Better question is why is there a rooster on the cd?

Because they like cocks?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:19 am 

Because you are a sizist, obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7gK3oeVUV4

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:24 am 

I always thought Metallica would be better if they had someone better than Lars. I think his sheer laziness and lack of creativity behind the kit is something that kind of froze up Metallica.

My Ebay Store

Painkiller1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 am 

americanholocaust wrote:
I always thought Metallica would be better if they had someone better than Lars. I think his sheer laziness and lack of creativity behind the kit is something that kind of froze up Metallica.

And his attitude is no more impressive than his drumming.

Behemoth brings the snuggle.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 am 

Not to mention he's a hobgoblin.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:32 am 

Both of you get extra credit points. ;)

My Ebay Store

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:40 am 

Gotta second the obligatory Dave Mustaine and Lars Ulrich. Just shitty vocals and drumming. It's a pity about megadeth,they really have great riffs and solos but I almost never listen to them because of Mustaine. It makes me realise just how important vocals are to a band.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:44 am 

lol, lars is and always has been FINE! i get that it's funny to have a laugh at him, but he's no worse than most of the thrash drummers i've heard.

my pick goes to Udo Dirkschneider. How Accept became so big with such a bad singer amazes me.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 am 

And I would like Deicide more without Glen Benton.

Sue me.

My Ebay Store

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:46 am 

Turner wrote:
lol, lars is and always has been FINE! i get that it's funny to have a laugh at him, but he's no worse than most of the thrash drummers i've heard.

That is a laughable statement.

My Ebay Store

KazolOrajia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:49 am 

Lars, definitely.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:55 am 

Lars was good on Justice, at least.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 am 

Smalley wrote:

Yes, and because of that I have a theory that it wasn't Lars on that record at all... It sounds a little TOO good if you ask me...

My Ebay Store

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:13 am 

americanholocaust wrote:
Smalley wrote:

Yes, and because of that I have a theory that it wasn't Lars on that record at all... It sounds a little TOO good if you ask me...

I've heard that most of the songs had to be spliced together from many, MANY drum takes.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:36 am 

americanholocaust wrote:
And I would like Deicide more without Glen Benton.

Sue me.

There is nothing wrong with that statement at all, a world without Piggy voice and his shitty lyrics would be great he kills Legion at certain parts. For me the two major bands I have been adoring recently are Pagan Altar and Manilla Road, both bands make epic and incredible music yet both have an incredibly shitty and nasal vocalist that makes me laugh whenever they sing. Ian Gillian on Born Again also makes the more bearable songs grating, and with most brutal death bands the vocalist is usually the death knell for the music. Piggy vocals are awful.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 am 

Well, if Metallica was to trade Kirk for someone else, that would not really hurt, either, his leads have always been relatively boring. And since they have a slow rotation on the bassist's spot, I'd say there's a case of one member making the band, not destroying it.

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:20 am 

With the exception of his performance in 'Deciphering the Soul' with Council of the Fallen, and band that employs Tim Yeung.

Folez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:34 am 

americanholocaust wrote:

I agree. But he'd still ruin Metallica if he was an incredible drummer, he simply has too much of an ego, resulting him in doing stupid shit like taking Napster to court.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:38 am 

Tim Yeung wasn't the only reason Illud Divinum Insanus sucked...
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:46 am 

^ But he was a factor in a set of circumstances replete with failure. If all you can do is play fast with no passion then you might as well finish off your ladyboy surgery and get a job in Thailand.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:22 am 

Lars's fairly chilled drumming brings out the riffs the best, and he (apparently) has always done a lot of the arranging. Live I'd agree, in the studio he's fine though.

Mustaine, yeah, he's a better singer then he used to be but early on... man he was horrible. You'd want someone similarly aggressive and sneery, just less nasal and with a li'l bit of power.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:50 am 

Well, this one might derrail a bit from the idea of the thread since the band kicks ass anyways, but I wish early Sabbath would have had someone else than Ozzy to do the vocals, he sucks.

Older Agalloch would have been awesome if they had a decent singer; nowadays they would suck even if they got a replacement though.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 am 

garthmargengi wrote:
Well, this one might derrail a bit from the idea of the thread since the band kicks ass anyways, but I wish early Sabbath would have had someone else than Ozzy to do the vocals, he sucks.

Older Agalloch would have been awesome if they had a decent singer; nowadays they would suck even if they got a replacement though.

that works too, thread title should be band members not pulling their weight tbh i always thought that the 2 vocalists in scar symmetry were holding the band back, they were so much better with christian imo

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:31 am 

That thing about Lars lack of creativity? Scott Columbus and that drummer in AC/DC are definitions of lack of creativity.
Listen to his drumming in Battery. I mean comon Metallica had a lot of weird time signatures and Lars did some good stuff back in the days, I'm not sure how he sounds nowadays because I don't care much for Metallica anyway. But bashing Lars just feels so easy to do.

I would say King Diamond, his singing is just laughable

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:55 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
That thing about Lars lack of creativity? Scott Columbus and that drummer in AC/DC are definitions of lack of creativity.

No. No. No. No. No. No.

You can not compare the drummer from AC/DC to a thrash drummer at all. What the fuck is wrong with you? If anything Metallica is the AC/DC of thrash, and the quality of drummer is reflected accordingly.

My Ebay Store

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 am 

Lars never being a great drummer didn't mean a thing to me. Metallica wrote better songs than the vast majority of their contemporaries, and that's what I care about. Wrathchild America was technically better, but the songs suck, ergo their CDs are in cutout bins for $2 and Metallica built a legion of fans. Frankly, Metallica's musicians have been pretty mediocre all the way through their existence. The best musician in a technical sense to ever join the group is probably forever glorified session player Trujillo. But aside from drummers, the same can be said about Slayer (drummers aside), and again, song craft overcomes someone not doing showy drum fills/guitar solos 24/7/365.

Last edited by godsonsafari on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 am 

Everyone is mentioning vocalists and drummers, because they're the easiest. Bassists are hard because it's such a subtle instrument (unless your Primus) that it hardly ever makes or breaks a band. And guitarists are hard as well because, in metal at least, they propel 70% of the music and usually write it and thus it's hard to tell what a band would sound like at all with a different one.

I'm trying to think of guitarists that ruin bands, but I've got nothing yet. I'll be back.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 am 

Guitarists write the riffs (generally) and play them. I mean, if the guitarists suck, the band probably completely sucks and sounds like they're devoid of hope. And the truth is that for most bands, bass guitar is an after thought. Hell, Hypnosia ditched the bass entirely on Extreme Hatred and they only managed the best thrash album since the 80s.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:14 am 

I'm agree to a Metallica without Kirk and Lars.

Kirk's lead-work is one of the major downpoints of Metallica for me - his solos have sounded sloppy and half-assed from the onset, aside from the occasional adequate number. I'd replace him with someone more refined like Alex Skonnick, but then again I could just listen to some Testament; if most of "Practace what you Preach" was recorded in one take, he'd easily have suppassed Kirk though.

If Mayhem can recruit a guitarist who can write reasonable black-metal, I'll be delighted - Their last few albums have been good, but none of them really have a black-metal "feel". I'd say Fenriz or Ihsahn, on the strength that they probably know each other reasonably from back in the day. I know this thread isn't about suggesting replacements, but...

Notorious Arab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:24 am 

Female keyboardists can ruin any black metal band.

dtfan08
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:26 am 

For me, it would be Protest The Hero. It sounds pretty technical but then the singer just ruins it with the way that he does his screaming vocals.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:27 am 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I'm agree to a Metallica without Kirk and Lars.

Kirk's lead-work is one of the major downpoints of Metallica for me - his solos have sounded sloppy and half-assed from the onset, aside from the occasional adequate number. I'd replace him with someone more refined like Alex Skonnick, but then again I could just listen to some Testament; if most of "Practace what you Preach" was recorded in one take, he'd easily have suppassed Kirk though.

If Mayhem can recruit a guitarist who can write reasonable black-metal, I'll be delighted - Their last few albums have been good, but none of them really have a black-metal "feel". I'd say Fenriz or Ihsahn, on the strength that they probably know each other reasonably from back in the day. I know this thread isn't about suggesting replacements, but...

its all good given the nature of the thread it was bound to go there

personally when it comes to psycroptics vocalist i wouldnt mind chalky back or daniel sharp(in a deathcore band but i think he could do it) or hell even michael crafter if they are really set on a hardcore vocalist

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 am 

Notorious Arab wrote:

You can't hear the delightful slapping of the sweaty corpsepainted nuts?

Notorious Arab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 am 

Napero wrote:
Notorious Arab wrote:

You can't hear the delightful slapping of the sweaty corpsepainted nuts?
you have a very wild imagination sir.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:39 am 

Well obviously female keyboardists just like, sound different than male keyboardists. He can tell because his ears are attuned to such things.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next