Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:26 pm 

This summer I moved into an new apartment-building. It's old as hell, and made of concrete so it often has this basement-smell, but also other bad smells because I live with 3 other people, with varying food-habits and hygiene. So I wonder if anyone now of anything natural to have in both in the bathroom and bedrooms so it smells nicer. Anything as long as it safe to breathe in the bedroom when you sleep etc.

Hope someone can help me out. It would be nice to feel more relaxed at home!

Feel free to come with any suggestions you can think of. I am open to anything, even girly, newage-y hippie stuff!

Thanks!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:31 pm 

Odd thread.... Well, you could just keep the apartment (and yourself) clean. Also, why not talk about this with your housemates? If they smell bad/don't clean up their shit, they should do something about it. and the most important thing is: ventilation.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:49 pm 

I do keep the apartment and myself clean. And the people I live with are not the main problem, I've taken care of that to some extent... and ventilation is not the problem it is the actual building that smells like a basement. Especially in the bathroom. So unfortunately it's not much to do other than to "cover" the smell with something nice!. SO that's what I'm actually asking about, Something that smells nice that you can breathe in while you sleeping etc. without any health-factors involved.

Yes, it's an odd thread, but thanks for your answer. hehe

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:30 pm 

I dunno, weed perhaps? I'm almost serious, too, if it's your kind of thing.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:37 pm 

My guess is that your building is infested with mold, and the wisest thing you could do is move. Long-term inhalation of that stuff, even in relatively small amounts, can have unpleasant long-term consequences. Covering up the smell will just make you forget that what you should be doing is getting the hell out of there!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:39 pm 

Young boys, young girls, etc.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
My guess is that your building is infested with mold, and the wisest thing you could do is move. Long-term inhalation of that stuff, even in relatively small amounts, can have unpleasant long-term consequences. Covering up the smell will just make you forget that what you should be doing is getting the hell out of there!

Yeah, that's probably much better advice than mine really. :)

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:49 pm 

splyu wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

Yeah, that's probably much better advice than mine really. :)

This talk about mold reminds me of that King of the Hill episode, where Hanks house has a tiny bit of mold inside his drywall, and they use it as an excuse to gouge him and make his home disqualified from the parade of homes.

Really though, have you tried flowers?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:35 pm 

I'd look into getting a good air cleaner. There are many of them to pick from out there. One that includes a UV light for killing mold spores would probably be a good choice.

You might also want to try something like this:
Quote:
Just reach for BioZap™ Air Purifier & Deodorizer – Nature’s most powerful air cleaner and

BioZap utilizes the unique powers of Australian Tea Tree Oil. Its virtually odorless vapors permeate the indoor air and porous materials. BioZap not only deodorizes air but also curtains, upholstery, carpeting, and drywall.

Open a jar of BioZap™ Air Purifier and place it in the affected room. BioZap will gently release vapors of the essential oil. They will not only scrub the air and furnishings of the odors but will also make the air "smell clean" – no odors and no synthetic scents.http://www.radonseal.com/molds/air-purifier.htm

I haven't tried it, but it sounds promising.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:14 am 

Febreeze works wonders man, but you could try just burning incense

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:58 am 

Not to sound like an alarmist pain-in-the-ass, but I figure I'd give you a fair warning.

A suggestion: Any species of Zygopetalum should suit you nicely.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:24 am 

If your place has a serious mold or fungal problem man,get the fuck out of there, or at least see if the place is salvageable.

My Ebay Store

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:21 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:

If this is the problem, which it sounds like it is, I'd seriously move out quick. This demonstrate just how serious the long term problem could be. I hope for your case it isn't mold causing the problem.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 am 

Provided you don't have to get the hell out of there because of the mold, you could try mint or pine.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 pm 

Candles help eliminate smells, some can be bought for this purpose, one in each window would look cool, though be careful as I'm practically banned from anything needing matches.

I had a g/f once and she lived in a damp apartment, I mentioned her clothes smelt really bad and it wasn't good for her health either.

tolerancezero666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:49 pm 

-

Last edited by tolerancezero666 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mayhem1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:00 pm 

Fill a pot up with water cut up an orange and put the the peels in the water. Mix in Cinnamon sticks and cloves and put on the stove at a low temp. Use this all the time to get rid off the weed smell when my family comes to visit.

MrTubefox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:42 pm 

Seriously though, look into the mold thing. I'd recommend mentioning it to your landlord, and if he doesn't do anything, calling the health department. Since it's a full-on apartment building, the health department should handle the whole inspection.

If they don't find mold, good, if they find mold, they'll tell your landlord to stop being a dick and fix it.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 pm 

Light an incense stick or a scented candle? Or perhaps even a cigarette or two.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am 

wall mart has these little oil burner for about 5 bucks, you just light a little tea candle under neath and it his up the oil and smells great and lasts awhile,

oil defusers (those little bottles with reed sticks) last for months and seem to work pretty good.

also walmarts incense is great and extremely cheap.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

Amplexus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 pm 

Whatever you do, don't own eight cats and keep them in the house. They will shit everywhere.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 am 

My girlfriend,but you can't have that. Well,not unless you're willing to pay a hefty sum.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 am 

Buy some bleach and dilute it with hot water. Then scrub the whole damned place down to clean and disinfect. My wife and I have got loads of plants in the house so it creates a nice ambiance, promotes breathable air, and makes the place smell good even with an indoor doberman (he gets showered twice a week). And tell your friends to fucking cleanup after themselves and take a shower. I've had enough roommates and I am glad that phase of my life is done. People are intolerable; especially it you allow it.

Alternatively you can just smear feces on the walls. Feces looks especially nice on windows and it smells great. Yeah, turn it up a notch for your filthy roommates and splatter feces whenever and wherever.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:36 am 

Well, all mold is being taken care of, so that won't be a problem... I've gotten a second plant recently and I've been looking for scented candles. I don't own any pets so that's not a factor. I'll try the other recommendations you guys have come with, if they are possible. I'll keep the feces smearing in mind in case of an emergency!

SouthernViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm 

Don't forget to piss in the corners!, mark your territory man!
....On a somewhat serious note heard baking soda can suck that stink up good, if you drink coffee just use the old grounds instead and swap it out every now and then. Or buy some of those coffee packets and toss a couple of those around.

altered_vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:24 pm 

Incense is shit, it gives me horrible migraines. I advice you, if you have a carpet or something similar, to put lots of dried lavender under it, it gives off a very relaxing smell, and helps reducing humidity. I also put some inside my pillow, it helps me sleep faster.

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:20 pm 

Lavender candles are something I love to inhale scent wise. I suggest them to anybody who asks.

Di3inpain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:08 pm 

altered_vlad wrote:
Incense is shit...

agreed. filling your residence (and lungs) w/ any kind of smoke is a bad idea healthwise.

look into essential oils and a diffuser.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:55 pm 

Check out some of those Glade products. Either the Plug Ins or the Sense & Spray Automatic Freshners. I understand that they work rather well.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:48 pm 

Cut up, rotting, decaying bodies will freshen things up a bit. Image
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

Reply to topic