Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 pm 

Great brutal death metal band from Texas (edit: Nevada). Their 2006 album "Reek of Pubescent Despoilment" was a fantastic blend of different modern takes on brutality. I saw on their MySpace a while ago that they were going to record something new, but they didn't post any updates after that, and it seems they haven't logged onto their page in many months. I finally decided I would check their Facebook page, and sure enough, they have been doing studio updates since around November 2011. The search feature revealed no previous threads about this.

The tracklist, revealed on November 10th, is as follows:

1. Inhaling Corpulency
2. Stainless Conception
3. Truncation In Detail
4. Nourishing The Spoil
5. Deadened Prior To Coitus
6. Coprophilic Asphyxia (Rerecord)
7. Serrated Impurities
8. Clotting The Vacant Stare
9. Voyeuristic Engagement

The titles sound decent enough, though track 5 is sort of a stretch poetically (kind of like "Followed Home Then Killed" on CC's upcoming record). GS almost finished at this point. Here are a few posts from their page regarding their studio progress.

Quote:
11/18 - Heading into the studio a day early to get the drums dialed in. It begins tonight!

11/22 - ‎......not only are the drum tracks complete, they are heavier than bigfoot's balls!

12/10 - Stringing up the guitars. About to lay it down in the studio cold and flu style for you, Maxy.

12/12 - Guitar tracks are done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMiEpeKMNQI

1/8 - Bass tone is sounding ridiculously fat. YE!

1/10 - Recording Update: Partially done with bass. Bass, clean guitars, and any other guitar layering will be completely finished next weekend. Then onto vocals, where Lord Blucifer will lay down the nastiest of the nast.

1/15 - Randall has finished all the clean guitar work and is continuing on with the bass! Shit is sounding amazing!! Vomiting to commence later this week! It's getting there boys and girls!

1/16 - Vocals will be laid down this coming weekend. Recording should be wrapped up within the next 2 weeks. Then on to mixing and mastering, which hopefully shouldn't take too long. It will be out......someday

1/23 - Recording update: 3 songs of bass and 5 songs of vocals left to record, then this bitch is done.

I'm excited to say the least. iirc, these guys are signed to Brutal Bands records. I'm not entirely sure how they operate, but they should release the album in a timely fashion I imagine.

Last edited by IdiotFlesh on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:43 pm 

They aren't bad. I might get around to listening to it. They're from Nevada though, man.

My Ebay Store

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:57 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
They aren't bad. I might get around to listening to it. They're from Nevada though, man.

Shit really? I could have sworn they were Texan.

leatherandtrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:03 am 

Dude, fuck yes!!! This band needs to, most importantly, TOUR in support of this album.

Lex Dangler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:51 am 

Very good underrated brutal death metal band that does not rely on lame slams for an entire album. This should be another killer output.

Authority
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:34 am 

This doesn't have to do with the upcoming album, but I see Guttural Secrete shirts a ton in the pics of other bands. It seems that 1 out of 3 brutal/slam death bands have a dude wearing one. I don't know what it is, the logo isn't especially brutal. Maybe they just buddy up with everyone they can.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:48 pm 

I used to be a really big fan of Guttural Secrete but I've found like the further I dig into brutal death metal the more boring and vanilla they sound to me. I'll still check out this new album out of respect for the nostalgia Reek of Pubescent Despoilment gives me.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:40 pm 

I'm stoked for this their hyper fast chugging sound is what initially turned me on, and they're legions better than any "wonderfully stupid" slam shit that is polluting the scene. The album will be intense and hopefully they'll turn around and do a tour

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:45 pm 

So it's nine months later and we finally have a new song, "Stainless Conception": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ad55bWp3Tg

I personally like it. The production job's got a bit more depth to it, and that one slam around the middle of the song is fucking devastating. I'm not a big fan of super-blasty brutal death metal or weedly-diddly stuff, but this was surprisingly decent. I can see myself eventually liking this more than the debut.

Thoughts?

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:09 pm 

I've known about them for a while since they're actually local where I live. The NV music scene is (sadly) pretty limited, these guys, Molotov Solution and Misericordiam were the only worthwhile metal bands in the area and the last two that I mentioned are broken up.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:39 am 

Sounds great to me.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:21 am 

Sounded solid from my one distracted listen, didn't get that "this is so much better than 95% of BDM bands" vibe I got from the last one, the techy stuff seemed a little more show.offy than just plain violent, but again I didn't pay a huge amount of attention.

ThatzNOTmetaL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:14 am 

I'm really enjoying the new song and if anyones interested you can pre order the new album at Brutal Bands I know ill be picking up my copy soon

YouTube Album Reviews etc

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:11 pm 

Another new song, "Deadened Prior to Coitus": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCb8X5T_E0

Awesome. Those atmospheric parts are genius - I'm honestly surprised how well they're integrated.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:42 pm 

This song is way better than the first new song, hopefully the rest is of this ones quality, they've got some competition in the BDM category this year, so they'll need to deliver something exceptional to stand out.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:52 pm 

This is going to be excellent. I won't top Defeated Sanity's or Katalepsy's new ones, but it should be up there along with new offerings from Devourment and Deeds Of Flesh.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm 

Cenotaph has been doing those type of atmospheric parts too, at least the last couple of albums they had, and they work really well. I hope there's more of this type of stuff on the album, though it sounds like it'll be great either way.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:29 pm 

I was expecting some really fucking stupid and brutal slam but it was a lot more like traditional BDM for my tastes :/ Some good moments but overall not a lot to separate it from the pack. That goes for both songs, unfortunately. Maybe it's just because 2013 has already set some impossibly high standards in terms of guttural pit riffment, but I don't think this is gonna top Devourment or Katalepsy, or even Defeated Sanity in terms of tech-slam. I will say the eerie riffs they had going on at 2:20 in the second song were pretty interesting though, despite being a less crazy version of all the atmospheric stuff in the new Katalepsy.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 pm 

They're not a slam band, they're a band based around lots of heavy and technical riffs, but they only slam a little bit. Listen to the debut, its an absolute beast of an album.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 pm 

What do you mean by "tech-slam"? There is no such thing - there's only "technical brutal death metal" (which by definition is prone to the occasional slam) and then there's "slam death metal" (which centres itself around slams, with anything else designated as polish to the overall design). The closest thing to "tech-slam" would probably be 7 H.Target, but I'm fine with just calling them technical BDM. No need to make death metal try to compensate for a whole new sub-niche, considering it's already got tons of them, most of which are ridiculously superfluous.

/anal

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 pm 

Idk, it's just a little term I use for bands like Abominable Putridity, Pathology, the new Katalepsy, etc. Obviously not a real genre but it's fun to make up your own names for little niches within genres, you know? Those bands could all be lumped under "technical brutal death metal" I guess but I think they slam way too hard and too often for it just to be a coincidence. Listening again, I'd call those bands tech-slam and Guttural Secrete just technical brutal death metal.

"True" slam would be something like Cerebral Incubation or Infertile Surrogacy that is literally nothing but slams. But that stuff is not particularly popular, so the most common slam you'll find is this "tech-slam".

I will agree that the term is a total oxymoron :P
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:07 am 

That's two posts today where you've said that something that isn't particularly popular may as well not exist...

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 pm 

Ok, so this has leaked now, not quite sure if I'm in the right mood for it right now, I'm finding the drastic shifts in style every 10 seconds pretty annoying, and the riffs are pretty much random, but knowing that the debut was techy and jumpy and that I loved it, I guess I'll have to give this another go when I'm in more of a brutal mood, but at this stage I'm just getting a bunch random pinch harmonics and three note bursts.

Edit: And Coprohilic Asphyixia has a very mood ruining intro sample.

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:03 pm 

^^Agreed with the sample mention, Cerebral Incubation is the same way for me, the samples just dont set well with me. The music on the other hand is awesome, although I am only on my second listen thus far. tons of tech riffs that switch frequently to keep it interesting and finally they release some full board chug chug pinch double bass funeral slams!

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:59 pm 

One thing you can do if the sample bothers you and if you are listening on your computer with itunes, is set the song's start time to after the sample.
It's not really a solution, but it works for me. I found reek had so many samples that the album was difficult to listen to, at least this one has only 2 (?) lengthy samples.
This album is really crazy, these 2013 bdm albums are raising the bar; never heard bdm this different from album's released in previous years.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 pm 

I liked all the samples on the debut, probably because half of them were off Silence of the lambs. Its really just that one that I find off putting, with its joking gangsta speak.

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:04 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I liked all the samples on the debut, probably because half of them were off Silence of the lambs. Its really just that one that I find off putting, with its joking gangsta speak.

Yeah it's lame and the number of samples on the last full length kind of ruined it for me but luckily this one has less of them, and it's not such a problem. The music is like malignancy I guess is the closest comparison.... but still that trademark guttural secrete sound.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:54 pm 

I think it's pretty damn good. The production is a bit clear and I don't usually say that! Even still, the tightness of the band is evident and the songs are quality brutal death metal. Not as slammy as I anticipated. I need a few more listens, but so far so good. Not amazing like Defeated Sanity's latest one.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm 

I think it's pretty damn good. The production is a bit clear and I don't usually say that! Even still, the tightness of the band is evident and the songs are quality brutal death metal. Not as slammy as I anticipated. I need a few more listens, but so far so good. Not amazing like Defeated Sanity's latest one.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:39 pm 

This is great. The range of vocals suit the music perfectly, in the way that they were recorded. The highs aren't overly grating and low guturals aren't a muddy mess - which is a problem for many BDM albums/vocalists, in my opinion - yet there is still clarity. The leads are quite technical without feeling redundant and aren't overwhelmed in the mix by the rhythm guitars, which hint at slams, but are never overtly slamming. Mixing an album with brutal rhythm guitars, fast technical leads, guttural ranging vocals and non-stop pummeling drums can be a bit of trick and I think they did quite well here.

After watching a doc on the nature of fractals in science and nature, this album pleases my Mandelbrot-ted mind.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:17 pm 

This is actually growing on me a lot. Though I think the production and guitar tone could certainly have been much better, the music is complex and interesting with nothing really lacking save for what I've already mentioned and some more bass in the mix. I love the album and can listen start-to-finish and that's rare as far as brutal death, etc. for me. It's masterful work even if it still pales next to the new Defeated Sanity album which is in a very similar vein.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 pm 

Guttural Secrete has broken up. :( Going to post about it.

Reply to topic