Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm 

If you didn't already know, Metal Archives will be blacked out tomorrow. Read why here.

What better way for a musician to spend a day with their favorite website blacked out than making black metal? This is a challenge for everyone - make a black metal song in one day, while we eagerly anticipate the return of the site. To make it easy to accomplish in one day, I put together a simple black metal drum track. This is primarily intended for playing guitar, though you're welcome to put together your own drum tracks and instrumentation if you have the time. There are six sections, 16 bars each, at 120bpm. There are three parts, structured ABABCA, with crashes every fourth measure and a few small fills to help transition from one section to the next.

Record however you'd like - using your choice of DAW, using a cheap microphone, even using an iPod, phone microphone, or the shittiest pinhole microphone you can find. If you can make noise with a guitar and/or add vocals, capture it with a lo-fi recording. It's just for fun, not black metal cred! Play the drums through your computer speakers and set them next to your amp if you must! I'll attempt a few variations.

Here are two different versions of the same drum track:
http://soundcloud.com/stevemetal/black- ... kout-drums
http://soundcloud.com/stevemetal/black- ... ut-drums-1
Download or bookmark them, since this message will not be viewable tomorrow! If anyone wants, I will upload Guitar Pro and MIDI versions when I get home later.

Bonus points if you include lyrics about net neutrality, censorship, or anything relevant to the blackout! Instrumental tracks are fine too.

Have fun, we'll post our tracks and give each other feedback starting the 19th!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:31 pm 

Hey, why the fuck not! I'm even off work tomorrow, so count me in. I might knock together my own drums, but it'll probably still be fairly simple.

Shall we send you PM and you can bundle the tracks in a zip download?

ps there is an odd distortion on the drums tracks you posted. It's really only noticable during the 4-4 rock beat.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:07 pm 

Fuck laws, I would love to do something but I have an exam on thursday, If the timing difference between US and Syria plays with me, I might do something really really quick.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:25 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Hey, why the fuck not! I'm even off work tomorrow, so count me in. I might knock together my own drums, but it'll probably still be fairly simple.

Shall we send you PM and you can bundle the tracks in a zip download?

ps there is an odd distortion on the drums tracks you posted. It's really only noticable during the 4-4 rock beat.

SoundCloud is pretty easy for uploading, does anyone else have a problem with that? I could compile a compilation, if anyone doesn't have the ability to upload stuff, I'll upload a compilation of everything in a few days. If you upload stuff to SoundCloud, please enable downloading!

The crash cymbal clipping seems to be the compression when SoundCloud converted it from a WAV to mp3 or whatever it is now.

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Fuck laws, I would love to do something but I have an exam on thursday, If the timing difference between US and Syria plays with me, I might do something really really quick.

If you're a day late, don't worry, it'll take a full day for everyone to be online at their normal time, then we all have to listen.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:45 pm 

I'm in. I'll see if I can throw something filthy together.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:50 pm 

I'm down. I can record it all in one day mixing will probably take a chunk of that evening but I'm down since most of the web will be down anyway.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:54 pm 

This is a really fun idea, I like how spontaneous it all is. I am in and will probably use the sample drum track.

Last edited by Apteronotus on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:55 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm down. I can record it all in one day mixing will probably take a chunk of that evening but I'm down since most of the web will be down anyway.

Mixing? Damn you're getting fancy!

I think I'm going to do one proper recording and one of hastily assembled riffing recorded with my pocket-sized recorder, because lo-fi can be fun/funny.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 pm 

well I always like to have my drums sound somewhat decent. So that's actually where most of my mixing lies. Lyrics are going to be herp derp though probably just something that you suggested already.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:52 pm 

Fuck yeah, glad to see some people are into this! As usual, expect a wall of synths and somebody playing a guitar (poorly) somewhere in the background. I have gotten a bit better setup for guitar now though, so I'm hoping for something a bit more guitar-centric this time out.

And yeah, I can rock soundcloud, but if someone compiles it into one collection it will probably get more listens rather than a mix of soundcloud/mediafire/megaupload stuff.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:59 pm 

Gonna have a bit of free time tomorrow, so I'm in. Should be fun!

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm 

No class tomorrow, so I think I'll give it a shot.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 pm 

oh i'm just going to upload via mediafire. I don't have a soundcloud account and don't care about making one.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 pm 

LOL I just saw this. I'll do the best I can.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 pm 

I might do this. I could probably pen down some lyrics in school tomorrow, and I have a few BM riffs written already.

Now I just need to figure out how to record on my computer haha.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 am 

I'll see what I can do, assuming I'm not hungover to fuck.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:40 am 

Bro, you got a webcam? one built in? Use audacity.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 am 

Still got lyrics/vocals and mixing to do, but otherwise I'm pretty much finished. Time to write some shit about darkness...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:14 am 

Fuck, I missed this one. :lol:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:34 am 

I took in mind what you said so I didn't bother to mix it. I just made shit where it's audible. so everything is dry as in just as I recorded it. vocals are a bit louder than I wanted.

It's short cause I wrote in mind that later I'll mix it and use it in 54R cause it's pretty much like how other songs are to a degree. 5 mins to write, 20 minutes to record.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h259fbkxlg22mxk

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:50 am 

Your vocals here sound a lot like Maniac (of Mayhem).

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 am 

Vocals actually reminded me of Impaled Northern Moonforest, and drums are kinda high in the mix for my taste; really liked the first set of riffs though, right until the part where it slows down.

Marras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 am 

I accidentally a song: http://www.student.oulu.fi/~lauripek/mp ... ntions.mp3

30 minutes of composing and few random 15 minutes here and there to record.

And for bonus, here's a photo of setup for guitar sound: http://www.student.oulu.fi/~lauripek/mp3/nekrosound.jpg
Yes. A butchered Digitech Death Metal pedal played through a modded toy keyboards internal amplifier and speaker. Also, that keyboard is heard in the C-part and the end with a flanger pedal in that added effects loop.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:04 am 

I'm gonna post mine when I get home from school. Took me about two hours last night, but that was just because I had to figure out how to use Audacity and learn how to do BM vocals. I ended up just randomly screaming into a mic for three minutes over sloppy tremolo picking :P The vocals are horrible. but I like it.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 am 

Had a lot of fun with this. I ended up limiting myself to about an hour of overall work time - 1 guitar track, no bass (who needs it?), crappy drums and an attempt at black metal vocals. I'm not much of a guitarist at all so it's pretty sloppy, but I'm okay with that. More of a vocalist, and even then I tend to either do cleans or lower ranged harsh vocals, but it was still very fun!

The two songs already posted in this thread are awesome though, so I'm looking forward to the rest.

Edit: sent mine into Zodijackyl already, but what the hell: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14482974/Reign.mp3

Last edited by Grimmig on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 pm 

Post it up Grimmig!

I'll post mine and have a listen to everyone elses when I get home from work today.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm 

Thanks for the compliment Ilwhyan. i thought they were alright cause I didn't do any warming up at all with it.

garthmargengi, I actually agree. I mixed it at my shed on my recording headphones. So i can't judge it too well and didn't burn copies to check elsewhere. I totally agree drums up too much, hell the vocals are up too much for my taste.

I can understand not liking the slow down though. but thanks for listening.

to everyone else.. I'll be listening when i get home this evening.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

Here y'all go: http://soundcloud.com/awerewa-1/frozen-tongues

I used Zodijackyl's drums to save time and once again didn't include vocals. As you can see I was quite lazy.

Marras, that picture made me laugh like crazy and I can't wait to hear what kind of sound that setup makes.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:30 pm 

Did everything except for vocals. I'll squeeze them in tomorrow and post the song as soon as I can.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's stuff.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:15 pm 

Vocals are atrocious, so don't pay any attention to them:

http://soundcloud.com/mcmufffins/grosserbruder

I plan on learning on how to actually do vocals, but after roughly 45 minutes of trying I just said fuck it and made a sound like I was coughing up something.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Ilwhyan. i thought they were alright cause I didn't do any warming up at all with it.

The higher screeches were mostly cool, but the lack of warming up really shone through at times. The lower stuff you did occasionally was piss poor though.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 pm 

Here it is gentlemen- a wall of synths, screaming, shitty guitar playing and entirely too many effect pedals wrapped into one noisy, poorly mixed package!

http://soundcloud.com/corpsefister/free-to-suffer

Nice work everyone whos posted a song thus far. Considering this was a total lark, there's some cool stuff here. If we get some more submissions I'll bundle them into a single zip file sometime this weekend and make some comments on everyone elses work in the next day or so.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:03 am 

http://soundcloud.com/dmclaren/icebound ... -tenebrous

Never done black metal vocals before, so this was pretty interesting. I'm a terrible guitar player too, so that didn't help. And I kinda fucked up with the drums and don't like how I programmed them. And it seems my headphones are a bit shit for mixing on, I should really remix it entirely. Ah well.

Download.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:45 am 

I ended up writing two songs, neither of which are finished, but I'm late anyway and going any further would be defying the point of the challenge. I'll post one of them just for fun. No vocals though. :(

Wolf and Blackout (Ulver Worship)

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:34 pm 

Some serious Ulver going on there kingnuuuur. It's pretty sweet actually, too bad you didnt get any vocals done.

So, what happened to Zodijackyl? Best be posting a track sir! Anyway, for anyone wants a convinient download link, I'll bundle all the submitted songs into a single zip tomorrow afternoon.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:44 pm 

I decided to improvise something and record the first take with my practice recorder. It's pretty loose and you can't hear the vocals at all, I think most of my mistakes were trying to sing at the same as playing guitar. The bridge section sounds pretty crazy because I was playing 8th note triplets on guitar over 16th notes on drums. You can also hear how sloppy it was the first 1-2 times when I tried to figure out what to do for the second riff.

http://soundcloud.com/stevemetal/black- ... out-improv

After that I re-recorded it with a proper setup, adding a second guitar track and dual tracking the guitars, but I screwed up somewhere along the way and it was completely unmixable with how I had the drums set up, so I gave up at 5am. I'll certainly learn from that, once I figure out what I did wrong.

CorpseFister wrote:
Some serious Ulver going on there kingnuuuur. It's pretty sweet actually, too bad you didnt get any vocals done.

So, what happened to Zodijackyl? Best be posting a track sir! Anyway, for anyone wants a convinient download link, I'll bundle all the submitted songs into a single zip tomorrow afternoon.

I'll get that, I already put them all together and re-tagged them with the titles and usernames as artists. I'm probably the slowest person in posting mine because I did two and I tried to unfuck the mix of the properly recorded one, and by that time I had already misplaced the miniature recorder that I recorded the improv version on.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:53 pm 

Okay I'm def going to listen through everyone's shit this evening after dinner, unless my wife steals the computer from me. >:(

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I'll get that, I already put them all together and re-tagged them with the titles and usernames as artists. I'm probably the slowest person in posting mine because I did two and I tried to unfuck the mix of the properly recorded one, and by that time I had already misplaced the miniature recorder that I recorded the improv version on.

Awesome, that will encourage some more listens I think. Too bad about the troubles with your song, but hell thats part of the fun.

Anyway Ive listened to most of the songs, I'll post some comments up once I've gotten to all of them.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:07 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, I feel the same about the lack of vocals. I have the lyrics if anyone's interested, but man let me tell you they don't mesh at all with the Ulver style. :lol:

And once again Mr Fister, I'm really digging your synth work. That riff at 1:07 in your song is my favourite so far. Pure nostalgia, definitely got stuck in my head.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:18 pm 

Soundcloud doesn't work for me (hate that site anyways, meh) so I'll only speak about the other two ones I could listen to:

kingnuuuur, if someone told me this was an unreleased demo from the Nattens Madrigal era I would have bought it, amazing stuff!

Marras, kinda bored me to be sincere, riffs sounded all to same-y, you got a really interesting sound though.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next