Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:25 pm 

Schaus2 wrote:
The best "beef" (like this is a fucking rap forum, lol) is between the tr00-core band Acacia Strain and the super-wiggers of Emmure. Apparently sometime in 2010, Emmure was playing at a venue near Acacia Strain So they went over to their venue and both bands got in a fist fight. HAH!

Gaahl and King ov Hell fueding over the namesake to Gorgoroth is no secret.

Fear Factory had that thing when they unveiled the new lineup a few years ago.

Corpsegrinder vs. the Alliance (elf cocksuckers) is my fav though.
Corpsegrinder going off on a tangent about the Alliance always makes me laugh

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 pm 

Jason Newsted vs. James Hetfield. Everyone knows about the stuff behind that, so no reason for a massive explanation.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheDragonaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:47 pm 

I have to admit, watching all the Attack Attack! drama was humorously pathetic.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:30 am 

There was that interview with Nifelheim where they made some comments about Dimebag Darrell/Pantera.

naxe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:13 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
There is a video on YT where members of Pestilence call Chuck a sissy, with Martin van Drunen pronouncing that word in a particularly hilarious manner. The interviewer caught them backstage to get their comments on Chuck leaving the venue mid-performance because the crowd was too violent. It was Pestilence's first time in the US, and Carcass also toured with them and Death. They also make fun of Carcass looking absolutely terrified onstage.

Ok, found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMp97zFn_tM

I ve also read a recent interview with Martin VanDrunen and Asphyx, where he hates on Chuck, sayin something like "just because he's dead, that doesen't change my opinion on him.." and talked stuff about that old pestilence tour

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:58 pm 

Kerry King has many of these...just go to his wikipedia and check the part which says "Feuds" ;)

also Glen Benton wishing Ralph Santolla the best in all his future endeavors...that was priceless, anyone remember that?

oh and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPk7TmCRmo
GWAR frontman shoots on Trivium

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 pm 

usernamepassword wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPk7TmCRmo
GWAR frontman shoots on Trivium

Everyone shoots (and should shoot) on Trivium, so this doesn't count :-D

KazolOrajia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:36 pm 

Bob Daisley and Ozzy Osbourne was the first that came to my mind.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:34 pm 

Darkthrone was pretty nasty to Dag Nilson when they decided to switch from Death Metal to Black Metal. They basically called him a death metal trendy who showed up to record A Blaze in the Northern Sky with a giant DM Bass Rig, wanting to lay down technical death metal bass riffs and they said, "Hey you plug into this here piece of shit amp and you play stripped down BM" or go home. Dag stuck it out.

After recording, Dag quit the band and only got credited as a session musician. Fenrez basically called him a poser wimp for not liking the switch to BM.

On a side note, I understand the reason why these guys switched to Black Metal, but never dug the hatred the early Norwegians, following Euronymous' example, poured out onto the death metal guys. Nicke Anderson of Entombed said it best in Swedish Death Metal, "One minute Darkthrone was like our best friends partying with us, needing our help to record Soulside Journey, then the next they treated us like enemies for no reason." And what was up with all of the BM guys mouthing off that DM metal bands were all running around in jogging suits? I never saw this, did anyone else?

celt14
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:52 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
Darkthrone was pretty nasty to Dag Nilson when they decided to switch from Death Metal to Black Metal. They basically called him a death metal trendy who showed up to record A Blaze in the Northern Sky with a giant DM Bass Rig, wanting to lay down technical death metal bass riffs and they said, "Hey you plug into this here piece of shit amp and you play stripped down BM" or go home. Dag stuck it out.

After recording, Dag quit the band and only got credited as a session musician. Fenrez basically called him a poser wimp for not liking the switch to BM.

On a side note, I understand the reason why these guys switched to Black Metal, but never dug the hatred the early Norwegians, following Euronymous' example, poured out onto the death metal guys. Nicke Anderson of Entombed said it best in Swedish Death Metal, "One minute Darkthrone was like our best friends partying with us, needing our help to record Soulside Journey, then the next they treated us like enemies for no reason." And what was up with all of the BM guys mouthing off that DM metal bands were all running around in jogging suits? I never saw this, did anyone else?

Well, I am sure it's over exaggerated, but I DID see Grave play live at the Corona Showcase theater back in 1996 (it may have been one of the VERY first shows I ever went to) and the guys in Grave had jogging suits and soccer jerseys on. I was like, is Korn playing, or is Grave playing?

bearkin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:36 pm 

'Despite My Deepest Fear' and 'Release the Kraken', two metalcore bands, have had an ongoing extremely chlidish feud for a while now, calling each other fags and whatnot.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:03 pm 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
There was that interview with Nifelheim where they made some comments about Dimebag Darrell/Pantera.

Interesting. What sort of beef would Nifelheim have with Pantera? I doubt those two bands interacted much, if at all.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:20 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:
The_Minstrel51 wrote:

Interesting. What sort of beef would Nifelheim have with Pantera? I doubt those two bands interacted much, if at all.

As I recall, they basically just bashed him and expressed their happiness that he was dead and said they were disappointed that Phil Anselmo wasn't shot too or something along those lines. I think they later recanted and said they were joking/not serious. I think it was a Swedish magazine interview but I'm not sure, it was a few years ago.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:33 am 

In a magazine too, i remember a interview when Euronymous was joking on Glen Benton. And the drummer (or so i think) of 3 Inches of Blood who broke the nose of Nigel Glockler, damn bastard! Fortunately, he was kicked out of the band.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:58 am 

"I have made some incredibly wonderful music with other musicians. It would just floor people—it has floored people. But I just can't release it. (...) I would like James to see that this music is truly a part of me, like his child is a part of him. (...) I can't play my shit, but he can go play with other people."

— Jason, Playboy Magazine

"Where would it end? Does he start touring with it? Does he sell t-shirts? Is it his band? That's the part I don't like. It's like cheating on your wife in a way. Married to each other."

— James, Playboy Magazine

"Jason eats, sleeps and breathes music. I think it's morally wrong to keep someone away from what keeps him happy. (...) I just hope we can survive this in one piece without tearing each other's fucking throats out."

— Kirk, Playboy Magazine

"I just can't get caught up in these meltdowns. I've got some issues in my family life, with my wife, that are a little more weighty than, like, whatever James Hetfield and Jason Newsted are bickering over."

— Lars, Playboy Magazine

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:28 am 

heh, I remember reading that interview; that was right around 2001-ish, before the whole therapy, some kind'o'monster stuff. I always figured at the time that Metallica was about to break up.

There are a couple of people who seemed to feud with almost EVERYBODY back in the day: Dave Mustaine and Chuck Schuldiner's names came up a lot in inter-band/ex member fueds from way back then. I read somewhere that Schudiner's ex drummer (Chris Reifert, the guy from Autopsy) said that Chuck was going through a lot of stuff and was kind of a dick to a lot of people, but that he later ended up regretting it and tried to make amends.

I also remember the whole black metal/death metal rift from the early 1990s, both Mayhem and Dark Throne seemed to have a tendancy to bash ex-members who werent hip to the whole black metal shift. There was also a conflict between the Norwegian and Swedish black metal scenes, apparently.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:33 am 

Lemmy: "VENOM fake it on their instruments!"

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:30 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:

I considered that just a joking overstatement, considering that it's no secret that Venom isn't the most technically skilled group.

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:36 am 

Mike Portnoy was a troublemaker from the start, or just a plain old lover of drama.

He and James LaBrie had a lot of heated arguments and would often nearly come to blows since James has a short temper.

In their biography, "Lifting Shadows" Mike says thus of James;
Quote:
“So we had a big sit down with him – which was almost like a shape-up or ship-out kind of meeting.We told him our concerns. So we decided to talk about the things that he can help, such as his presentation on stage. Another thing that bothered us was that he would always credit himself as a songwriter, and do interviews and talk about the songwriting process, when the reality was that he was never even there. It bothered us and there was resentment that he would kind of bullshit the fans like that.”

He constantly rode James hard, telling him how to sing and all that, but the rest of the band as well. Said Rudess in same book;
Quote:
“Mike does it to himself. He’s such a madman. He wants to play these long sets and then it’s so tiring. I actually heard a hint the other day that maybe we would shorten things a little bit and I was like ‘Thank you!’ This man is finally coming to reason. I’ve always been of the thinking that it’s too much for the audience as well – or maybe I’m just getting old. I don’t know. I know there are fans out there that want more and more songs, but when you’re presenting music at that kind of intensity and volume, I think it gets to be too much after a couple of hours.”

Portnoy on Kevin Moore;
Quote:
“I honestly went in there with an open mind and I was truly excited to work with Kevin again,I was hoping that it was going to be a great experience. But it ended up being more of the same old shit that it was when he left Dream Theater. Basically when I’m making music with other people, I want it to be fun and I want it to put a smile on my face. At the end of the day, making those records with Kevin wasn’t fun. He’s not a fun person to work with. He’s a very depressing and stubborn personality and there’s no reason in my life or my career that I need to subject myself to that sort of personality. I’d rather work with people who are enjoying the process. And if anything, making those two albums showed me in no uncertain terms that if Kevin hadn’t left Dream Theater, then Dream Theater would have broken up many, many years ago. So him leaving the band was probably the greatest ever thing that ever happened to Dream Theater. There’s no way Dream Theater could exist with that type of personality. As you know they are now doing a third album which they didn’t even bother asking me about as they already know my feelings on the subject.”

Geoff Tate on Eddie Trunk slammed Ozzy-era Sabbath calling it their worst line up and referring to them as "Black Suck". He then slammed Mike and said of Dream Theater in a Classic Rock interview;
Quote:
"The truth is that I'd never even heard DREAM THEATER until they toured with us [a co-headline jaunt in 2003]," winces Tate, failing to hide his distaste. "People compare our bands all the time but I don't hear us in what they do. We're very different animals. We're about writing songs and they're about playing a lot of notes. What I believe music is about is anathema to them."

Mike's responses;
Quote:
"I'm tired of being politically correct...

"I have a bone to pick with [QUEENSRŸCHE]... We had a summer tour in the works being booked with them which I think would have been cool for the fans and they backed out in the 11th hour which fucked us over....I think maybe they realized that having to play after us would make their fans realize how much they suck now!"

"For the record, Geoff Tate is a two-faced douche bag. Since he has begun doing 'Operation: Mindcrime II' press, he has been consistently bashing DREAM THEATER and even me personally in the press... (why, I have no idea?). But I'm tired of biting my tongue when he obviously can't.

"When he was on Eddie Trunk's show [on Q104.3 FM] Friday night [March 31], he was incredibly rude and insultful [sic] when talking about me off the air to Eddie and [FOZZY singer and former WWE wrestler] Chris Jericho (he having no idea they're my bros)... Eddie and Chris were FUMING at him and Chris immediately texted me from the studio saying he was ready to body-slam him on the spot.

"His new name on this board should be Geoff Taint...

"Screw him...he's now on my shitlist..."

In a follow-up message, Portnoy elaborated on his position with the following:

"Also... for the record before this blows up any further... I have absolutely no issues with the other guys who were always straight-up and cool all throughout the tour and ever since... Scott [Rockenfield, drums] and Eddie [Jackson, bass] in particular are two guys who I really like and am proud to call 'friends'...

"Geoff was, and is, the two-faced BS [bullshit] artist to everybody he comes in contact with...either professionally (or 'un' for that matter) as well as to his poor fans that still believe his bullshit after all these years.

"I'm sorry that such good guys as Scott, Eddie and Michael [Wilton] are being 'led' by this babbling idiot...

"Like I said...I was willing to bite my lip, be professional and politically correct and continue to not EVER say anything bad about him in the press...but Taint-boy had to open his big ass mouth to two of my best bros (Eddie Trunk and Chris Jericho) which was a big mistake and the final straw...

"That's all from me...I'm gonna take a well-earned vacation..."

and about Terry Brown;
Quote:
Well, a long story short - Terry has burned his bridges with us in the Dream Theater camp. Basically, half way through the M2000 tour, we received word from his lawyer that he expected __ amount of $ from us for using his voice when we perform Scenes From a Memory live. Now Terry knew DAMN well when he recorded his voice as the hypnotherapist during the Scenes From a Memory sessions, that it was a concept album that we would be performing every night on tour....OF COURSE we would be using a sample of his voice in the performance being HE OPENS THE FREAKING CD and SHOW!!!!!!!! Our *speculation* is that he may have been sore with us for not choosing him to mix Scenes From a Memory which he expressed wanting to do (it was never an option as far as me and John P were concerned). He also bitched about not being credited as the hypnotherapist on the CD sleeve (we *purposely* wanted it to be an unbilled cameo). Basically, he's a big bad cry baby who was looking to cash in on his voice being used on the CD & tour anyway he could. (David Botrill's voice was on the CD and tour as the voice of Edward in Finally Free and he never complained. Theresa Thomason's voice was all over the CD and tour, never heard a peep from her...) We eventually had to pay to Terry off to avoid a lawsuit and were forced to have somebody else come in for the Roseland show to play the hypnotherapist. The guy is on the top of my s*** list and only succeeded to shoot himself in the foot because he now will never work with Dream Theater again, nor will we ever have anything nice to say about the guy who we thought was cool until this ridiculous incident!

Last edited by A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:52 am 

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater wrote:
Geoff Tate on Eddie Trunk slammed Ozzy-era Sabbath calling it their worst line up and referring to them as "Black Suck".

o_O

:annoyed: :fuck: :guns:

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:01 am 

I feel your rage!
Fuck Tate! and given the 'Ryche's current status, he shouldn't be one to talk!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am 

I feel your rage!

As much as I love a couple of the first Queensryche records, after reading your previous post, I can safely say that Geoff Tate CAN GO FUCK HIMSELF. Midnight was always better anyway!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:19 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
I feel your rage!

As much as I love a couple of the first Queensryche records, after reading your previous post, I can safely say that Geoff Tate CAN GO FUCK HIMSELF. Midnight was always better anyway!

Midnight never, ever was better than Tate. Just because he died you don't have to overrate him that much.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:02 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Midnight never, ever was better than Tate. Just because he died you don't have to overrate him that much.

The fact that he's dead doesn't concern me. The fact that he was insanely talented does, though. Care to explain why you think otherwise?

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:33 pm 

It seems like every source who can get away with saying so, has something bad to say about Geoff Tate, and I'm not surprised. His "I AM the goddamn band, fuck all of you" persona really came out in full force these past years.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:15 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
- Mike Portnoy vs. Geoff Tate. Not so much a war, but I recall word leaked out that Dream Theater hated Queensryche and Portnoy clarified that he liked Queensryche but thought that Geoff was a total douche bag.

I also remember that "As I Am" was inspired by Mike Stone attempting to teach John Petrucci some different guitar techniques and rubbing him the wrong way. Shame they have so many shenanigans with one of their biggest influences.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:53 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
DL: My whole thing is, you’re getting salsa on your fucking tape recorder.

BM; It’s ok it’s a spicy interview.

Bwahahaha.

Interesting interview. Yeah, Dan is a great guy. Not long ago he played in a band called Crucifist from Rochester and we did a bunch of shows with them. Really sincere and friendly, and he seemed to like the weed we had too :P

Crucifist ruled. I wish they were still around.

celt14
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:36 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I feel your rage!

Though Midnight may have had a better personality, I think Geoff Tate, BARELY had a better voice than Midnight. I mean Midnight was good, but i don't think, in his prime (Transcendence) he could have beaten Tate in his prime (Empire). It would have been VERY CLOSE though!

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:45 am 

I found this pretty funny. I love Mike Patton.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDvJTxZDbA

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:06 pm 

celt14 wrote:

Well, I am sure it's over exaggerated, but I DID see Grave play live at the Corona Showcase theater back in 1996 (it may have been one of the VERY first shows I ever went to) and the guys in Grave had jogging suits and soccer jerseys on. I was like, is Korn playing, or is Grave playing?

That's funny and sad all at the same time. I can't picture this for some reason. Must have been a mid 90's thing. Dismember would never have pulled that shit.

foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:02 pm 

this thread has been a good read! and was just reading a story on born of osiris just then which reminded me of this thread;

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=168176

funny how blabbermouth decided to edit the actual quote rather than in it's entirety like pointed out in the 1st comment.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:54 pm 

foul body autopsy wrote:
this thread has been a good read! and was just reading a story on born of osiris just then which reminded me of this thread;

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=168176

funny how blabbermouth decided to edit the actual quote rather than in it's entirety like pointed out in the 1st comment.

True story, an early incarnation of the band (back when they were still called Rosecrance) used to practice in the house across the street from mine when my buddy who lived there would jam with them when the bass position was kind of in purgatory. I met Lee once and he was a cool enough guy (though I don't know which Lee, both guitarists were named Lee at the time), but the rest of them did seem like Jason described them, unprofessional alcoholics/junkies.

This does make me wonder how often this actually happens, it seems like a majority of lineup changes in metal bands are on good terms (family commitments, waning passion, school, et cetera). I wonder how often the band just says the person left for personal reasons or musical differences and they're on good terms and wish the guy the best of luck when it reality he was just kicked out because the dude or the band is/are jackasses. And how often does the guy who was kicked out actually pipe up and say "Uh, no, we aren't on good terms, they kicked me out because they're a bunch of strung out douchebags" or "I fucking quit those squares for being pussies and not utilizing my talents" or something.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:38 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:

cool post, i didn't know most of that, i really dig soulside journey.
as for the jogging suit thing [see my sig ha ha ha], maybe they just meant the shoes? i noticed loads of DM bands wearing 'basketball' shoes, which were immensely popular at my school during this time too.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:40 pm 

Fenriz is a fucking crazy elitist anyway.

My Ebay Store

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:46 pm 

we need a counter-thread for this one about band members who help out other bands when members can't [or won't] perform themselves.
like a singer who loses his voice and another band member sings for him or a drummer who breaks his arm and needs a hand etc

metal camaraderie ftw! :grin:

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:00 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
A recent example would be Deicide (maybe just Glen Benton) publicly tearing Ralph Santolla a new one after kicking him out. The said shit on Facebook about how he was a horrid drunk who could never perform well live because of it and was generally a shitty person to be around. They also photoshopped his head on Amy Winehouse's body because why not.

Funny, because when I saw Deicide live with him on guitar he was by far the best thing about it. He DID look like someone who had far too much of the hard life, but it sure didn't show in his playing. Nothing but completely on point.

HaydenMaddox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 pm 

Didn't someone from the band Absurd punch Kanwulf in the face? And I thought I read that the singer or guitarist from Absurd pushed/shoved Harris (Judas Iscariot)?

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:12 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
we need a counter-thread for this one about band members who help out other bands when members can't [or won't] perform themselves.
like a singer who loses his voice and another band member sings for him or a drummer who breaks his arm and needs a hand etc

metal camaraderie ftw! :grin:

When I saw Warbringer, their drummer had just broken his arm a few days ago, so one of their guitarists played drums (he wasn't the best, but it was still alright). A not-so-good drummer and only one guitar and they still slayed live.

I wish I knew of some beef but this thread has been interesting.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:00 pm 

celt14 wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Though Midnight may have had a better personality, I think Geoff Tate, BARELY had a better voice than Midnight. I mean Midnight was good, but i don't think, in his prime (Transcendence) he could have beaten Tate in his prime (Empire). It would have been VERY CLOSE though!

Empire was Tate's prime? Sure he sounded very good in that era. but he was starting to get a little shaky in the live shows. I would say around The Warning was more when he nailed everything live and in the studio.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next