Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:04 am 

Has anyone watched the new season of Beavis and Butthead? Any thoughts?

I must say, it is pretty funny. Like the old series, but it seems to be lacking that 90s grit that I loved so much. Basically the same though.

My Ebay Store

InfektedBlut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:47 am 

I just recently watched the 4th season finale of Sons of Anarchy. Can't wait for the 5th season. :) + I just started watching Breaking Bad. Up next: s02e06.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:57 pm 

Started watching Bones last night. Some very slightly silly parts but mostly it's a really cool show so far. The characters are funny and the plots are simple but gripping, with the scientific ties adding a unique twist to the detective angle. I also like how the episode titles and themes seem to follow this really old school detective shtick - "The Boy in the Bush," "The Man in the Wall," etc. Very classical mystery style.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:12 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:

I must say, it is pretty funny. Like the old series, but it seems to be lacking that 90s grit that I loved so much. Basically the same though.

I've watched them all. I actually think it's funnier now to be honest.

Couple of Recent shows I've watched:

American Horror Story - Really enjoyed this one. the characters are engaging and I enjoy the morbidity of it all.

Once Upon A Time - Been watching this one with my fiancee, kinda girly but It's not bad at all. Interesting take on some old fairy tales, can be a bit depressing though.

Shameless (US) - I've only watched the first episode of this one but I'm keen to watch more.

The Walking Dead (Season 2) - Still enjoyed this one, some of the story lines (such as trying to find what's her faces daughter) dragged on a little long. Keen to see where they go with it for the next season.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Season 7) - Still really enjoying this show. I've seen some less than positive opinions around the internet for this season but apart from a couple of average episodes I still think it's really fucking hilarious.

Terra Nova - Not terrible but not really amazing. Some average acting (particular in the early episodes) and really average looking CGI for some dinosaurs but my love for all things prehistoric will most likely see me watching any future seasons of this.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:07 am 

americanholocaust wrote:

I really hate how they have them watching new videos and mtv shows. Wouldve been awesome to see them rip into Limp Bizkit or newer Metallica stuff.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 am 

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Tom Margaret is pretty awesome.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:53 pm 

STarted watching Sons of Anarchy season 4 last few weeks. Not bad, but a bit cheesey and lame at times. That show's always been a mixed bag. Also playing GTA: TLAD again lately :P

Tosh.0 is pretty funny if you ask me. Some crazy shit on there and genuinely witty writing and smug remarks by the man himself.

I've also been loving the documentary series American Greed on CI channel. thrilling tales of white collar fraud and the like. Intriguing stuff.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 pm 

Yeah, the last season of sons of anarchy was pretty cheesy, earlier seasons were alot better, less "roadhouse"-esque shootout scenes and more intelligent drama. Breaking bad is my favorite t.v. Series currently on air... Anybody into hoarders? I fuckin love that show, one of my new favorite pass times is getting high and watching that show, I saw one last night about a guy that hoarded cats... They ended up pulling like 6 baby kittens outta his wall, It's crazy how people can get that way. Venture brothers is another one of my favorite, the humor on that show is different from any other show I've ever seen.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 am 

Agreed with I_Am_Vengeance about it's always sunny. There have been a few misses,but it's still a hilarious show. Though I think Frank has been underused recently.
I also recently started watching boardwalk empire,almost done the second season. Really awesome show,probably the most slow paced thing I still enjoy. Great characters I can't get enough of,and Micheal Shannon is monumental as the guy you love to hate. It's also notable for being the only thing I can stand Micheal Pitt in. That American remake of funny games...urgh,just urgh.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 am 

Oh and I tried getting into sons of anarchy but I guess it just wasn't my thing. Except for the constant close ups of Ron Perlman's intense face.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:37 pm 

has anyone seen the 5th episode of homeland?(blind spots) i dont know the exact place to ask but there is a bit where
Spoiler: show
they are torturing someone and they are blasting metal music as part of the torture.....i know i only been half paying attention
does anyone know what song that was?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:53 am 

Man, Workaholics is the funniest sitcom in ages. Seriously so funny. Tight butthole, hahahaha love it. I also wish they'd bring back Party Down that show was wicked. Game of Thrones soon - awesome too.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
americanholocaust wrote:

I've watched them all. I actually think it's funnier now to be honest.

Couldn't agree more! Didn't really get into the '90's one.

Anyone here watch Curb Your Enthusiasm? One of my favourite shows by far. Larry David is a legend.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
has anyone seen the 5th episode of homeland?(blind spots) i dont know the exact place to ask but there is a bit where
they are torturing someone and they are blasting metal music as part of the torture.....i know i only been half paying attention

No sure about the song, but I know the band was Gridlink.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:22 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

No sure about the song, but I know the band was Gridlink.

thank you so much been looking for that everywhere

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Man, Workaholics is the funniest sitcom in ages. Seriously so funny. Tight butthole, hahahaha love it. I also wish they'd bring back Party Down that show was wicked. Game of Thrones soon - awesome too.

Workaholics is great. A mixture of The Office with It's Always Sunny imo. It's great.

I'm going to probably catch a lot of shit but I really like Jersey Shore. Don't know why but its entertaining as fuck for me!

Fourthly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 pm 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:

Anyone here watch Curb Your Enthusiasm? One of my favourite shows by far. Larry David is a legend.

I got into Curb recently due to LD being a co-creator of Seinfeld. Curb is a great show.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm 

Pretty sure most respectable TV watchers are familiar with Curb. I managed to get into the show around the time it came out, through a friend of mine. Been following it ever since. The recent stuff with LD and Leon hanging out is pretty gold. Also longtime Sein fan here too.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 pm 

Curb's a good show, no doubt. I get the impression its what LD wanted to do with Seinfeld, but couldn't due to the network Seinfeld was with. Several of the Curb story lines are rehashed Seinfeld story lines also, just with added vulgarity to help back up this hypothesis.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
The Walking Dead (Season 2) - Still enjoyed this one, some of the story lines (such as trying to find what's her faces daughter) dragged on a little long. Keen to see where they go with it for the next season.

You do realize that they're only midway through the season, right? Based on the episode that just aired last night, I feel that my suspicions about this season have been confirmed: the writers jammed more than the usual amount of character development into the first half of the season and that the season will get increasingly more action-packed in the second half.

That's actually pretty true to the plot structure of the comic as well but I admit it makes for some awkward pacing. Even so, I've been perfectly happy with the show so far. Even if some parts were slow, I've found the writing and characters pretty interesting.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:41 am 

I havent watched Walking Dead se2 yet, should probably get onto that this week, that and Homeland i guess i'm quite keen to check out. I have a few other shows i might take a glance at, that i have pretty low expectations of and some i have watched very small amounts of (Carnivale springs to mind) that i should jump on, but i've been watching a lot of movies lately instead. Oh, and the original TMNT animated series.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 pm 

Only reason I'd watch Walking Dead is laurie holden. hot DAMN
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:30 pm 

thomash wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

You do realize that they're only midway through the season, right?

ahhhh yeah I realized that about 2 weeks after i posted that haha, whoops.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:48 am 

Has anyone seen Pete Versus Life? British sitcom from the creators of Peep Show. It has a pretty unique angle and is similar somewhat in style to Peep Show, without being derivative. I've recently started watching it again after getting into it early last year.

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:18 pm 

Justified (on FX) is amazing. About a US Marshal (Timothy Olyphant) in eastern Kentucky, and while there is an element of hicksploitation in there it's mostly a brilliantly written and acted drama about crime (oxycontin, weed, robbery), poverty and family ties. Oh, and it's hilarious.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm 

I watched a couple episodes of Workaholics and absolutely hated it. Fucking retarded. That's all there is to say.

Bought the 7th season of Curb Your Enthusiasm on DVD, been watching that recently.
"I'm Larry David and I happen to enjoy wearing womens panties"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:32 am 

I tried to get into walking dead multiple times but nothing happens in that show and you never grow to care for the characters.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 am 

Recently:

Both seasons of Green Wing
All four seasons of Sons Of Anarchy
First season of Falling Skies
Both seasons of Haven
First season of Spartacus
First season of Game Of Thrones

Not a dud among any of them.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58 pm 

Agroguitarist wrote:
Recently:

Both seasons of Green Wing
All four seasons of Sons Of Anarchy
First season of Falling Skies
Both seasons of Haven
First season of Spartacus
First season of Game Of Thrones

Not a dud among any of them.

Think I'll catch up on Falling Skies on Netflix. I keep hearing good things about that one.
Another show for the mystery-minded is Sherlock, the newish BBC series. Cleverly written modern day versions of Sherlock Homes & Dr. Watson.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 pm 

DRD: I will have to check that out. I am a massive mitchell and webb fanboy and Peep show is one of my favourite pieces of television.

I have been preoccupying myself with panel shows (the british have done a freakishly great job with this) such as QI, Would I Lie to You, Argumental, and Mock the Week (before it went shit due to the absence of Mitchell and Frankie Boyle) while some panel shows like Never mind the buzzcocks or that really glossy one are pretty shitty. I have also been watching 10 o clock live.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:57 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Shameless (US) - I've only watched the first episode of this one but I'm keen to watch more.

Remake of the Pommy show?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm 

Any of you big, strong men (and small, weak women) been watching Downton Abbey? Or is that too gay for MA.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Remake of the Pommy show?

Yeah the cast is good and it seems like it's doing it as more than a quick cash in. I'm still not sure why American's feel the need to remake shows that are already in English. I totally get remaking foreign shows, dubs and subtitles put a lot of people off and it can keep good things from being discovered, but fuck, can't you guys stand stuff with a different accent?

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
Has anyone watched the new season of Beavis and Butthead? Any thoughts? I must say, it is pretty funny. Like the old series, but it seems to be lacking that 90s grit that I loved so much. Basically the same though.
In a way, I actually think their commentary on reality shows is funnier than the ones on music videos (although I loved their riffing on Hole's Violet), and they represent a metacommentary on society itself. Judge seems to imply that two dolts pointing out the braindead nature of scripted "reality" actually calls into question who're stupider; the "stars" of reality TV or the audience? In any case, 16 and Pregnant and True Life serve as excellent fodder for jokes. My favorite episodes: Crying, Daughter's Hand, Tech Support, Drones, Spill, Doomsday, and Time Machine have been my favorite so far. Still pissed they won't release the previous seasons uncut due to licensing issues.
StinkyPenis wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Workaholics is great. A mixture of The Office with It's Always Sunny imo. It's great.
For awhile, I was really into Workaholics, but then I stopped watching the series and don't feel the same rush upon rewatching it. I must say that while it's not hilarious, it is addicting and keeps you engaged throughout.

By the way, are there any other X-Files fans here aside from Earthcubed and DeathRiderDoom? I'm beginning to get into the series myself. Thus far, I've just gotten through roughly half of the first season. The characters have great chemistry, and at times, the show is delightfully campy (especially the Monster of the Week episodes). And if I may add, Gillian Anderson was, for lack of better word, breathtaking.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:17 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Yeah the cast is good and it seems like it's doing it as more than a quick cash in. I'm still not sure why American's feel the need to remake shows that are already in English. I totally get remaking foreign shows, dubs and subtitles put a lot of people off and it can keep good things from being discovered, but fuck, can't you guys stand stuff with a different accent?

Nope, they don't like other people talking fast. Also they probably think they are funnier.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:21 pm 

Anybody else here like Outrageous Fortune? Any Kiwi's on board?

Only just discovered it last year thanks to my girlfriend. One of the best shows i've ever watched. The crime/family drama of Sopranos mixed with the crass humor of Shameless. Genius.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 am 

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33197

This makes me want to die a little inside. "Fools..." is one of my all-time fave UK shows, and a classic in its own right. This travesty will shit all over it.

May as well get Ashton Kutcher to play Rodney. Couldn't get worse....

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:23 am 

Anyone ever try watching Lexx? I really don't know what to make of it a lot of the time, one of the strangest sci-fi series I have seen. I don't know if I can really recommend it, but I can't say its bad either, just bizarre and I'm not even sure if the plot is really the point yet...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 am 

Byrain wrote:
Anyone ever try watching Lexx? I really don't know what to make of it a lot of the time, one of the strangest sci-fi series I have seen. I don't know if I can really recommend it, but I can't say its bad either, just bizarre and I'm not even sure if the plot is really the point yet...

Yeah, it's weird as hell. Makes Farscape look like seaQuest DSV. It's been a long time since I last saw it and that was only the first few episodes, but it was enough to scare me off. That was when they were first airing it on German television, I was like 12 back then, so maybe I should try again...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:37 pm 

I've watched the first three seasons of Lexx and a few eps from season 4. Stopped because it got boring but will finish the series some day. The humor and setting work by keeping the weirdness absolutely consistent, the characters behave in a stilted and barely human manner, evidence of the corrosive influence of the insectoids on human culture over thousands of years which ties into the casual disregard for human life evinced by everyone. The only character who reacts significantly does so only out of a self imposed morality which he can only understand on an intellectual level, etc etc etc. That in itself is pretty weird, a setting with no characters with meaningfully redeeming qualities? I know that Z/Xev is kindof a nice person, but it only goes so far. The settings are all massive, but claustrophic interiors strangely devoid of life, lending further to the ahuman character of their society, and there are the constant strange happenings and happenstance... If they'd strayed from allowing serendipity to rule the narrative it would have detracted from the absurdist conclusions derived from the absurdist setting. It's philosophically consistent, and they have plenty of good quips (usually relating to characters' lack of genuine humanity). This flags in the 4th season by removing one aspect, the absurdist setting, and over-relying on political stereotypes, but I think I'm just rambling now... Good show, you should check it out. WARNING: not an American production, you WILL see female nipples.

Btw, I disapprove of the comparisons to SeaQuest because while both are great shows, the are so for completely different reasons.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 182  Next