* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Alex_P
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:13 pm 

GodheadsDamnation wrote:
Van Der Graaf Generator anyone?

I love that band. Their new album is currently my top of the year.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:56 pm 

But not Camel? What's wrong with you.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:27 am 

danmarder wrote:
I saw the Ozric Tentacles mentioned and I think they are a really fantastic band, they create fantastic soundscapes and I do think that a great many of the more atmospheric metal bands have something they could learn from them. That said, it can be a tad excessive. I've had virtually no luck finding anything particularly similar to them, or any metal influenced by them - does anybody have any suggestions?

For a simpler, less over-the-top version of Ozric Tentacles, check out the band Paperhouse, and their "Spongy Comestibles" album. I love the Ozrics, but sometimes I yearn simpler fare.

Edit:

Everyone raves on about Hidria Spacefolk whenever Ozric Tentacles get mentioned. Personally, I don't listen to them, but you may enjoy them. Also check out Quantum Fantay for a virtual clone of Ozrics.

Can't think of any metal bands with Ozric influence, though there were loads of UK bands like Crow, Moondragon, Omnia Opera, Mandragora, Dead Flowers and Iowaska who all played a heavier (sometimes punky) style of Ozrics-influenced space-rock.

VRR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:39 am 

Two bands I didn't see elsewhere in the thread but worthy of attention are The Nice and Soft Machine.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 am 

Scourge441 wrote:
I haven't seen any love for Comus in this thread yet. For shame!

Everyone who is into Opeth owes it to themselves to listen to First Utterance, as Mikael has said it's a huge influence. You can definitely hear the influence they had when listening to Comus, although it's still far from what Opeth do and thus anyone who likes any kind of progressive music should listen to it as well.

It's a very odd album, entirely acoustic with moments that are upbeat (parts of Diana, the main parts of The Bite) and others that are incredibly haunting (pretty much all of The Herald and Song to Comus). The extra songs on the Diana single are very good as well.

They recently reformed and I am eagerly awaiting the release of the Out of the Coma EP. If the title track is any indication (there's a live performance of it on Youtube), the EP will be fantastic. There is literally nothing else out there that sounds like this.

On a separate matter, I haven't really dug into krautrock yet, beyond Amon Duul II's Phallus Dei. Shoot some recs at me?

On another separate matter, any zeuhl fan should check out Eros by Dün and Hundred Sight of Koenji by Koenkihyakkei.

Love First Utterance, particularly "Diana" and "Song to COmus"...celebratory, subversive...these guys should indeed have done the soundtrack for The Wickerman. :lol:
The second album is pretty disappointing though.

I can come back here with some krautrock suggestions later. I have a fair bit of this stuff; find it a fascinating movement, but there's so much of it that it's definitely overwhelming, and I haven't heard nearly all the necessary releases. Chaosmonger's an old hand at this stuff, too. :)
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:35 pm 

Yeah, as far as the German scene goes, er..."krautrock"...there's different styles to sample.
You'll definitely want to get Amon Duul II's "Yeti," which is a little more focused (at least on the first side) than Phallus Dei. ADII is kind of different to most of the German bands though because they're almost more of a combination of Jefferson Airplane-style San Franciscan psychedelia and the German avantgarde.

Can is super diverse and one of the best and most important German groups..just waaayyyy ahead of its time stuff. Best albums are Tago Mago-through-Future Days. They run the gamut of early Floyd-esque psychedelia, Stockhausen-inspired avantgarde, hypnotic funk, ambient, tropicalia, noise...amazing band.

I'd start with those. There's also Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh, Ash Ra Tempel, Neu!, Faust, Cluster, Guru Guru and the likes.

MrFister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:48 am 

I don't listen much Progressive rock...

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:34 pm 

If someone can suggest some space/prog rock to me with a synthy, horror/sci fi type soundtrack vibe with similarities to Tangerine Dream, Zombi, Goblin etc that would be pretty awesome. Cheers.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:22 pm 

Where do you guys recommend I start with Marillion? I've liked the bit of them I've heard and am unsure where to proceed.

Also, don't know if they count as being all that proggy, but are there any Magnum fans on this site? Tony Clarkin is a great songwriter, Kingdom of Madness, Chase the Dragon, and The Eleventh Hour probaby being my favorite albums of theirs.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Where do you guys recommend I start with Marillion? I've liked the bit of them I've heard and am unsure where to proceed.

My suggestion would be any album with Hogarth on vocals (any album post 1988), but to distill it to five (there are 13), I'll say these in the following order:

Marbles, Brave, Anoraknophobia, Happiness Is The Road Vol. 2: The Hard Shoulder, and This Strange Engine.

The only essential album with Fish on vocals (of which there are 4) is Misplaced Childhood.
Obliteration

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:01 pm 

(Kind of a necro, but I thought this might be the most appropriate thread)

Fuck yes! Merry Xmas to me!

Spoiler: show
Attachment:
photosm.jpg

My wife hooked me up, and even though it's like six months out, I'm very stoked I'll be able catch Marillion on their first North American tour in 8 years, and for both shows in my area to boot.

Traditionally, when Marillion plays two shows back to back in the same place (i.e. one of their "weekend" series shows), they play one of their albums in their entirety for one of the shows and a "theme" show (i.e. best of alphabetically) for the other. I wonder what they have planned for these shows? Either way, I'm stoked!

EDIT: Added spoiler tag to obscure the large image.
Obliteration

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:02 am 

Pretty cool man. Marillion are quite a band I've discovered, the debut and "Marbles" are really good though I do still need to check out more. But I've gotta ask, what's with all the English progressive rock band members named Steve?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:18 pm 

I know King Crimson get all kinds of love, especially from metalheads, but I feel overcome with the urge to proclaim the brilliance of Red from mountaintops. That album bitchsmacks just about everything else I can think of.

dtfan08
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:06 am 

One band that I'm really into right now is called The Flower Kings. They are quite the masters of a modern throwback prog band. This band could have written these exact same tunes in the 70s and would have been a lot more famous than if they were now. Their latest album, "The Sum of No Evil" has 6 songs on it, and only 2 of them are less than 10 minutes!

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:24 pm 

I like prog to have modern touches, otherwise I don't think it is worthy of the name. I've been listening to Galahad and I really like the metal and even trance touches to some of the songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE36cwPehM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iog8CNW535Y

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:01 pm 

I listen to lots of Pink Floyd, but as far as progressive rock goes that's about it.

Joemoe1122
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:19 pm 

I'm a huge fan of progressive rock but there aren't too many modern prog rock bands that i've found enjoyable aside from The Mars Volta.

Bitches love Enslaved.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 pm 

I wanna resurrect this thread. I've been on a massive prog rock binge recently, especially with Uriah Heep, Magnum and Camel. I'm looking for more fantastic recommendations, and I hope it doesn't die.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:48 pm 

I've advertised this excellent band in all previous seventeen prog rock threads, but apparently my work of proselytion has not yet made it into this thread. Kingston Wall is probably my favourite prog rock band, or at very least among the favourites (which aren't many, though, since all my time with music goes to metal). It was a Finnish band that failed to make a proper breakthrough before the frontmant Petri Walli's death by suicide. They released three albums, all of which are quite unique. The first album is fairly diverse: it ranges from psychedelic hard rock with long (awesome) guitar solos to spacey and trippy prog. The second album was more experimental, with its finest moments being the beautiful ballad with extensive guitar and sax solos Shine On Me, and the ten minutes long prog epic You. You is probably one of the greatest prog songs I've ever heard. Listen to it yourself, it's impossible to provide a concise, accurate description. The third album is again quite different, not my favourite album by any stretch, but it has its moments.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:54 pm 

I recommend Zombi. Sounds like a really weirded-out, space-rock version of Rush.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDd-DhJp ... re=related

virus - king heroine, while other bands were dropping acid, these guys were doing heroine, i think that explains why this is pretty much their only album. . . this is pretty crazy for 1971 though i will admit

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:04 am 

They have possibly been mentioned already, but Änglagård from Sweden was a surprisingly convincing 70s-symph-prog revival band from the 90s.

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:32 am 

What would you guys name as the top 10 best Rush songs of all time, just curious!

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:54 am 

Mine would be;
1. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres
2. Natural Science
3. 2112
4. The Camera Eye
5. Xanadu
6. Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage Prologue
7. Bastille Day
8. La Villa Strangiato
9. Red Barchetta
10. One Little Victory

"Cygnus-Hemispheres" embodies all I love and admire about Rush. It is a superbly designed monumental masterpiece. A complete performance by the band and quite superior to most bands in terms of storytelling craft.

"Natural Science" is much more subtle than most Rush epics and for that reason alone it works. Geddy sounds a bit subdued but Alex and the master Neil are in fine form.

What more can be said about "2112"? It laid the ground for a lot of sprawling masterpieces and stood out from the epic crowd of Yes, Crimson, Tull et al, because it was brilliantly fuckingly heavy!

"The Camera Eye" remains perfectly surreal to me and one of the finer moments from "Moving Pictures".

"Xanadu" employed simple, easy on the ear melodies and wove them intricately. It seems Rush always had the weird knack for appearing down to earth yet still way out on some trip. This song proves it.

"Cygnus:Voyage Prelude" actually rivals its "Hemispheres" follow up musically. Its fluid dymanic twists inspired scores of modern Prog metallers. I always get the feeling they decided to reapproach the mechanisms of "2112" but at a more subtle angle.

"Bastille Day" is as Mike Portnoy decreed "Majestic!"
This one sounds like it should blare from medieval rooftops. If said medieval rooftops were friendly to thundering Prog-laced heavy metal. "Bastille Day" lacks any genuine excesses and is as a result made of fluid transitions.

"La Villa Strangiato" remains for me, the pinnacle of Rush instrumentals. On the surface it seems so much like a Lifeson affair-and he does a fantastic job with his guitar, gradually building up tension and then reigning himself in ably-but Neil Peart's drumming is a thing of visible wonder here too.

"Red Barchetta" is great fun. Always has been for me from the first, always will be. One of Geddy's fairer vocal performances too.

"One Little Victory" is fairly recent and fairly decent, and as far as I'm concerned what modern Rush should sound like. Unapologetically thundering and heavy with subtle Prog moments creeping in.
Looks like they haven't entirely abandoned their roots, then?

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:12 pm 

If anything, I could perhaps try to name the ten least best Rush songs. Almost all Rush is pure gold, right up to the most recent.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:08 am 

It's very hard to say but I'd probably go with Scars or Witch Hunt as my overall favorite Rush song. There's just no such thing as a bad Rush song or a bad Rush album for that matter...

On a different note, I bought a copy of Yes's Fragile at Walmart for about 5 dollars last week. As someone who was only familiar with 90125, I find it to be very organic release though having each performer contribute his own song to go along with the "main" tracks was a very strange way of going about things.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:16 am 

Get Close to the Edge and Relayer, bro. Amazing stuff!

My favorite Rush song is probably Tears, Natural Science and Something For Nothing are near the top too. I hope to see them in october, never went to a Rush show before and that's BLASPHEMY!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
It's very hard to say but I'd probably go with Scars

A very unusual choice, though I love it, too. Probably the funkiest Rush ever got.

Quote:
or Witch Hunt as my overall favorite Rush song.

Another unusual choice, as this is almost invariably said to be the weakest song off Moving Pictures, but again, I love it too and don't find it inferior.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am 

Zymetal wrote:
I love Rush, because they are a power trio (my favorite band format).

Seeing Rush with my dad soon! Can't wait. :)

The True Isidoros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:51 pm 

For me its:

Dream Theater
Fates Warning
Porcupine Tree
Gordian Knot
Ayreon
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Sun Caged
OSI
OUTWORLD
Derek Sherinian (Planet X)
Tony MacAlpine
Liquid Tension Experiment
Shadow Gallery
Symphony X
Spastic Ink

Devin Townsend
Mastodon
Isis

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 pm 

Favourite Rush song? Hmm, seeing as I've always preferred 80's and 90's Rush to 70's Rush (I've just never been able to get into their epics for some reason), I'm going to have to go with "Freewill" or "Marathon". Favourite epic of theirs is "Natural Science". And Clockwork Angels looks like it's building up to something great - Vapour Trails and Snakes and Arrows have both been great.

Anyway, any other ELP fans on here? I keep seeing them dismissed as pompous and overblown relics, which is a crying shame. Keith Emerson is probably one of the best rock keyboardists of all time. In fact, I'd nominate "Tarkus" as the best 70's prog "epic" (only "Close to the Edge" and "Supper's Ready" really come close in my mind).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:22 pm 

Anybody heard the new Beardfish? It's fucking awesome. Darker and heavier than their earlier albums. Highly recommended. That's how prog Opeth should sound!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 am 

Anyone familiar with Anima Morte? Sort of creepy, horror-esque prog. Their music wouldn't sound out of place in a Argento or Fulci film. I recommend them to anyone who's a fan of Goblin.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3