Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:53 pm 

i know this band might receive plenty of hate on this website but does anyone like them?

i used to listen to nu metal(my gateway into real metal) and i been listening to disturbed recently and some of their stuff is quite good imo, i only have their first 3 albums though and have not heard any of their recent songs(apart from inside the fire)

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 pm 

I actually like them, but they're not really a nu-metal band, except for maybe the first album. I haven't listened to Asylum and I only heard Indestructible once, but I think Ten Thousand Fists might be the non-metal album of the decade.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
I actually like them, but they're not really a nu-metal band, except for maybe the first album. I haven't listened to Asylum and I only heard Indestructible once, but I think Ten Thousand Fists might be the non-metal album of the decade.

i agree i think they are nu metal for their first album and maybe second(been so long since i actually listened to their second album though i will listen to it soon) but i think they were boxed in with bands like linkin park because they were the same era and they toured together, i also need to listen to ten thousand fists again i only been listening to their debut album because its the only one i can find atm

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 am 

Believe is okay - it's sort of like nu-metal without the "we're so tough" attitude, which is pretty much the only good thing about the genre. I too haven't listened to it in years but I don't remember it being terrible or anything.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:23 am 

Disturbed is a pretty solid band, for the most part. The only albums I can say I really like would be Believe and Ten Thousand Firsts. The Sickness was alright as well. Not familiar at all with their latest two releases, though, and not much motivation to check 'em out either.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:54 am 

OOoooh wah aha ha.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:19 am 

Ten Thousand Fists is actually one of the better metalcore albums. Did their later albums carry on that style?

Speak for yourself.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:20 am 

Metalcore? I know the band is sort of hard to pin under one genre but that's the last thing I'd call them.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 am 

TTF is okay, I remember a friend playing that with me in the car and I wasn't completely disgusted.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 am 

I dig "Ten Thousand Fists" and "Indestructible" a lot. Metalcore(?) or nu metal they are not on those, just modern hard rock or whatever floats your boat. I haven't really heard much from "Asylum". David Draiman's voice is pretty distinct and I just like how it goes along perfectly with the rest of their catchy music. Never heard much from their earlier material, except 'Stupify' and of course 'Down with the Sickness'. Can't say I don't enjoy those from time to time.

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 am 

Not a huge fan of these guys. They're good for what they are, just radio rock. I absolutely hated Sickness when it came out, and I still hate it now. The rest of Disturbed's output ranges from boring to passable though. Nowhere near as revolting as the rest of the early 2000's mallcore shit they tend to get lumped together with....

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 am 

I can get down with some Disturbed. I'm a child of the 90s, going through my early teens with the mallcore stuff. It's what I grew up with, and I still love some of it. I'll always love it because it opened up the gateways for more serious and more rewarding metal. Disturbed was always one of my favorite mall metal bands. The Sickness is a fucking catchy album, but Asylum has some of their best songwriting.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 am 

Disturbed was my gateway band to heavier music, so I pretty much listened to their first 3 albums until I grew tired of them, lets say.... each album around 80 times? Yeah, I was a pretty big Disturbed fan boy.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:35 pm 

Used to love Ten Thousand Fists, still a decent album i think, good hard rock.

I'd only call their first album nu-metal.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:56 pm 

The Sickness and Believe are both awesome. TTF is alright, Dan Donegan is a sick guitar player. And Down with the Sickness is the most metal nu metal tune ever.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:59 pm 

I'm one of those odd people that actually didn't listen to Disturbed until they were well into metal. I have copies of Ten Thousand Fists and Indestructible with the former being a really good album. They're generally a decent band though their same-ish sound does make it easy for me to be rather apathetic from time to time. That and their sound is pretty much cookie cutter enough for people to get into yet loud enough for people to feel rebellious while listening to it. I find that amusing more than anything else.

jxix
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:31 pm 

They were probably my favorite band while I was getting more into music, listened to them quite a bit for a couple of years, especially Ten Thousand Fists, and Indestructible for a while after it came out. Naturally, I nearly stopped listening to them after I started getting into metal; but they're one of the few radio-friendly bands I used to listen to that I can still appreciate every once in a while.

Never actually listened to most of Asylum. Maybe I'll look it up later, out of curiosity. Not that I don't know what to expect to hear from them, though.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:17 pm 

meh, dont like em, really. The thing is, I find Dave Draimen annoying. That wierd sort of rhythmic half chanting, half singing thing he does just gets old. I admit he is very distinctive, and the thing is, I think he does actually have a good singing VOICE- but not a good singing STYLE if you follow me. If he sang in the manner of the old school metal vocalists- without all the "oom-ah-ah's," "mumbasumbas," and that wierd syncopated delivery he does, I would probably respect him a lot more as a singer. But the thing is though, that's just who he is.

Disturbed is a good band for the modern generation of kids to get into as a gateway into more cutting-edge music. They are talented as far as mainstream hard rock, but not a band I would seriously devote tons of energy listening to. That's a pretty fair assessment. You could have said the same thing about Guns N' Roses in the late 80s or AC/DC in the late 70s.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:16 am 

I only know "Down with the Sickness" from the Dawn of the Dead remake, and I don't like the song.

Strange to compare them to Guns'n'Roses and AC/DC, too, because GNR and AC/DC actually play on normal radio stations. I've never heard Disturbed on the radio. They're not as popular as some people claim they are, and they're certainly nowhere near as big as GNR and AC/DC.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

The_Poltergeist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:50 am 

They or lordi are the first heavy band I've heard. I still love the song Indestructible. And I like some other songs, but I can't sit through an entire album anymore without getting bored.

monkeychief25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:19 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I only know "Down with the Sickness" from the Dawn of the Dead remake, and I don't like the song.

Strange to compare them to Guns'n'Roses and AC/DC, too, because GNR and AC/DC actually play on normal radio stations. I've never heard Disturbed on the radio. They're not as popular as some people claim they are, and they're certainly nowhere near as big as GNR and AC/DC.

I've heard them on the radio ALL THE TIME, and I mean all the time, I imagine most active/modern rock radio stations give them atleast some play.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:30 pm 

Disturbed is terrible; early stuff is unlistenable croaking garbage and the new stuff is plastic pre-processed, safe music. Never liked em.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:39 pm 

Yeah, I'm with Emp. I've heard maybe one good riff here or there by them, but overall, just nothing worth noting.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Warlust666
Some guy who posts sometimes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:35 am 

I'm glad Youtube raped Let The Bodies Hit The Floor beyond repair.

Although overall I'm not too phased with Disturbed, the entrance theme they did for Stone Cold Steve Austin was pretty kick arse.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:33 am 

Warlust666 wrote:
I'm glad Youtube raped Let The Bodies Hit The Floor beyond repair.

That's Drowning Pool, man.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:37 am 

I only remember downloading one of their albums to try it out, hating the vocals and then deleting the album. That was back then when I was 14 or so. I still don't listen to them, but a funny thing is that one of my friends, who listens mostly to rap, let me listen to a Disturbed track once. Well, at least he's going somewhere.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

plagueofangels
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:44 pm 

Was never into these guys, I liked a few songs from their first album and learned them when I was just starting off playing guitar, but the rest was silly, a little embarrassing. When i heard Prayer for the first time (it was impossible not to as it got constant airplay) I was stunned at how boring and dull the song was and lost interest in them. But then I discovered Kittie's Oracle, and thought "Wow!"

Oxenkiller wrote:
Disturbed is a good band for the modern generation of kids to get into as a gateway into more cutting-edge music. They are talented as far as mainstream hard rock, but not a band I would seriously devote tons of energy listening to. That's a pretty fair assessment. You could have said the same thing about Guns N' Roses in the late 80s or AC/DC in the late 70s.

That's a great assessment; you can't be fairer than that. It's not supposed to be challenging to listen to at all, just comfort music, well written and effective in its own league.

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:42 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Disturbed was my gateway band to heavier music, so I pretty much listened to their first 3 albums until I grew tired of them, lets say.... each album around 80 times? Yeah, I was a pretty big Disturbed fan boy.

This.

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:44 pm 

we're on the Metal archives

go listen to the Thrash one! mediocre-middle-America Thrash>macho rock, any day

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:38 pm 

I like Believe a lot, but other than that I can't really get into anything else by Disturbed.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:57 pm 

Eh_Timeghoul wrote:
we're on the Metal archives

go listen to the Thrash one! mediocre-middle-America Thrash>macho rock, any day

Oh, how silly, I forgot that I signed a contract when I joined this forum stating I could only ever listen to or talk about metal music. My bad.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:07 am 

Azmodes wrote:
David Draiman's voice is pretty distinct and I just like how it goes along perfectly with the rest of their catchy music.

I agree that he has a distinct voice that can be quite strong, but I also don't like that beyond the singles, their music feels like the same sections are recycled a lot for the instruments. They write songs to be dominated by the vocals, the guitarist can never really progress a song by himself, and the vocal hooks get really repetitive. I can listen to songs by them, but making it through a full album is tough. Now that they're on hiatus, I'd be interested to hear the vocalist working with different musicians, since he has been working with the same guys for 15 years (with only a bassist change once). Either a heavier groove metal thing, classic heavy or thrash metal, or maybe some semi-dynamic guitar-driven hard rock. Anything but purely vocal driven rock that tries to emphasize a softer side of his voice, that seems to be common but it certainly wouldn't work for him.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:46 am 

They're too heavy and metal for me to handle.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:43 am 

Nah, not very good. I'm not a fan of run-of-the-mill thrash unless the sounds are really good and the band has a badass singer, but Disturbed singer just croaks his way through the album (though he has some pretty nice high screams) and the sounds are thin and weak. For something that came out in 1988, it sure is elementary. Sure, Destruction's first albums have weak sounds and possibly even worse singing, but the riffs kick so much ass. Disturbed really couldn't write those amazing riffs.

gradymayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:21 pm 

Am I alone in preferring Believe? The Sickness was solid enough, after all that's the album that got me into the band, but Prayer, Liberate, Mistress, Believe, Rise, and Darkness are all awesome ass songs, as opposed to the maybe 4 good songs on The Sickness. I guess its just a stylistic preference.

Dropping Plates never failed to make me laugh though :lol:
We'll bathe tonight
Post metal on my facebook! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/prof ... 1698891497 I'm formerly defyexistance btw

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:22 pm 

Their music sucks, but the singer has talent. "Darkness" is a good song primarily because there's no faux-metal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 pm 

They were one of the first "heavy" bands I ran across (gateway drug/band?). I still like TTF and Indestructible, but Asylum isn't that good tbh aside from the title track and AWTD.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 pm 

gradymayhem wrote:
Am I alone in preferring Believe? The Sickness was solid enough, after all that's the album that got me into the band, but Prayer, Liberate, Mistress, Believe, Rise, and Darkness are all awesome ass songs, as opposed to the maybe 4 good songs on The Sickness. I guess its just a stylistic preference.

Dropping Plates never failed to make me laugh though :lol:

Your not the only one, I also prefer Believe to The Sickness, some of the songs on Sickness are laughable (like Dropping " A little somethin' for your earhole" Plates). Believe on the other hand is a serious, solid, and fairly beautiful record.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:49 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I can get down with some Disturbed. I'm a child of the 90s, going through my early teens with the mallcore stuff. It's what I grew up with, and I still love some of it. I'll always love it because it opened up the gateways for more serious and more rewarding metal. Disturbed was always one of my favorite mall metal bands. The Sickness is a fucking catchy album, but Asylum has some of their best songwriting.

I can relate to this. According to our profiles we are the same age so we basically grew up on the same metal or 'false' metal. There are a handful of bands from this period I will always have a soft spot for. Believe was always my favorite of theirs. The Sickness had too many rap'ish verses and techno synthesizer shit going on for my taste. Believe had a more serious tone so its darker moments were more affective.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:35 pm 

I listen to Disturbed from time to time; they are a solid radio rock band and nothing more, nothing less.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next