Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am 

Joey Beltran vs Aron Rosa
Pee wee Herman vs Olav Einmov
Munoz vs Maia

must watch fights from last weeks UFC. Action packed with a great pace fights. I am a Carwin fan so watching him get destroyed was unsettling.
The upside to it all was he showed tremendous heart and perseverance.
Onto the coming week. Heavyweight fuckin' GP! So excited, can't wait.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/5/31/21 ... fight-card

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:33 am 

Aadil wrote:
Joey Beltran vs Aron Rosa
Pee wee Herman vs Olav Einmov
Munoz vs Maia

must watch fights from last weeks UFC. Action packed with a great pace fights. I am a Carwin fan so watching him get destroyed was unsettling.
Onto the coming week. Heavyweight fuckin' GP! So excited, can't wait.

IDK man, Beltran/Rosa was a sloppy, slugguish brawl. Fun for novelty, but no skill was shown-hardly "must-see" IMO. Typical amatuer bar room type stuff. The Ring/Head fight was a much better technical, action packed fight. I only watched the Facebook prelims and didn't see the main PPV so I won't comment on Herman/Einemo and Munoz/Maia.

Anyways, the Strikeforce HWGP; now I'm real excited about that! I see Overeen finishing Werdum in quick fashion-if he doesn't he leaves himself open for Werdum to sub him the longer the fight goes on (Overeem hasn't gone to a decision since becoming "Ubereem" and hasn't been out of the first round since June of 2008. One has to wonder how his cardio will hold up over three rounds with all that extra muscle if he's not able to finish Werdum quickly). And I've got to believe that Barnett has this fight locked-Rogers has only a puncher's chance. Barnett's far too well rounded. Noons/Masvidal and "Oldereem"/Griggs should both be choice as well. Don't know enough about Cormier or Monson to comment. Should be an overall excellent night of fights.
Obliteration

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:47 pm 

Monson's got skills, I'd like to see him win this fight and then go on to rematch Barnett or fight one of the higher profile SF heavyweights.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:03 pm 

Aadil wrote:
I am a Carwin fan so watching him get destroyed was unsettling.

I saw that one. What pisses me off is that he needed just 2 more seconds in the last round to win. Roughly 3 seconds from the bell, he landed a perfect chokehold on JDS and you could see the guy was rapidly losing consciousness. JDS wasn't that impressive anyway.

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:25 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
IDK man, Beltran/Rosa was a sloppy, slugguish brawl. Fun for novelty, but no skill was shown-hardly "must-see" IMO. Typical amatuer bar room type stuff. The Ring/Head fight was a much better technical, action packed fight. I only watched the Facebook prelims and didn't see the main PPV so I won't comment on Herman/Einemo and Munoz/Maia.

I whole-heartedly agree and know what you mean.
But the all-out, rock 'em sock 'em slugfest is good for hooking up newer audience(some friends of mine I've been working to get in, on mma).
Once I grab their attention with violent exchanges of punishment, there's always going to be time to learn to appreciate the finer technical side of mma. Personally I was laughing the whole time they were 'doing their thing'. It served to add to the already great fights that were on, that night.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:50 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Aadil wrote:

I saw that one. What pisses me off is that he needed just 2 more seconds in the last round to win. Roughly 3 seconds from the bell, he landed a perfect chokehold on JDS and you could see the guy was rapidly losing consciousness. JDS wasn't that impressive anyway.

Dos Santos shot after the 10 second warning, I imagine to get some last second, celebratory leg humping in. No amount of extra time in the round would have changed how those last few seconds played out.

Anyway, what in the world is up with Valentijn. He didn't even put up a fight. :(

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:45 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Aadil wrote:

Uh...huh. Losing consciousness? Have you ever watched an MMA fight before? That choke was nowhere near close. Carwin would have needed the luck of Christ himself to submit JDS, who trains with the Nog brothers.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:54 am 

Yeah, I watched the fight. Carwin got pounded and bloodied in the first round. He had both his arms locked really tight around JDS's neck in the last moments of the fight. At the time the bell rang, JDS wasn't even close to freeing himself from the choke, helpless and nearly unconscious. Granted it was JDS's own mistake to needlessly take him down and it backfired on him, though almost costing him the fight.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:21 pm 

"nearly unconscious"

he wasn't. His face wasn't turning purple, he wasn't flailing or trying to escape, and it didn't even LOOK tight. If it was tight he would have been trying to get out, but he was waiting it out because it wasn't much of a threat.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:34 pm 

It looked pretty tight. He tried to break free by grabbing his arms, then he flailed a bit in vain. He even looked distressed IIRC.

Rear guy would be Carwin. A clean, sufficiently tight blood choke takes anywhere between 3-5 seconds to wipe you out, and your face would just barely have the time to turn red, let alone purple.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:46 pm 

Wow, talk about an anti-climactic fight. Disappointing performances from both Werdum and Overeem.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:27 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
It looked pretty tight. He tried to break free by grabbing his arms, then he flailed a bit in vain. He even looked distressed IIRC.

Rear guy would be Carwin. A clean, sufficiently tight blood choke takes anywhere between 3-5 seconds to wipe you out, and your face would just barely have the time to turn red, let alone purple.

The properly executed rear naked choke is almost completely different than the arm in guillotine carwin had. Shown here. There was still space on one side of Junior's neck, he was defending it properly until the bell sounded and Carwin rolled him, and Carwin would have to have worked to half guard at a minimum to finish that choke.

It wasn't close.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:57 pm 

Ah well, I stand corrected. That's the first replay I've seen from the match anyway, though it didn't strike me as well defended. It looks like Carwin was already applying upward pressure before the bell (just before the referee came in).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:01 pm 

He didn't have the position for leverage. Like I said, you can tell by Junior's face that he wasn't in any trouble at all. People who are getting choked don't just sit there without moving their arms/trying to pry the other guy off/reverse the position somehow (at least, people who have had a lot of BJJ training, and you can be sure Dos Santos has).

He wasn't defending against it because he didn't consider it a threat.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:19 am 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:
Wow, talk about an anti-climactic fight. Disappointing performances from both Werdum and Overeem.

Extremely lackluster main event. Neither guy looked good.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:18 pm 

Yeah, it seemed neither guy was willing to step outside their comfort zone. Overeem wanted nothing to do with Werdum's bjj and Werdum obviously didnt want to stand with him. Their strategies made for a pretty crappy fight. Also, I'll never get how bjj guys expect pulling guard to be a viable strategy. We saw the same stupid gameplan from Maia in his fight with Anderson. These guys want the fight on the ground, they better fucking learn some effective takedowns. It's stupid to expect your opponent to just willing follow you into your guard to get subbed.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:07 pm 

The tragic part, is that Werdum v Overeem would have been a good fight if it were under a DREAM/PRIDE rule set. I don't think I've seen a more compelling case for yellow cards since Kalib Starnes decided to hit the treadmill, mid fight.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:18 pm 

Here's my take on Overeem/Werdum:

Could've been one for the ages I suppose, but I didn't think it was a bad fight either. You had two guys trying to only play into their own strengths that basically turned into a war of attrition. Boring to watch? Perhaps. I enjoyed it, but I can understand how it would be as uninteresting to watch as a chess match (which is kind of what it "evolved" into). Was it the best fight ever? Hell no. Was it the worst fight ever? Hardly. My brother, who watched it with me as his first MMA show and who is also otherwise a sports fanatic, put it to me best; it was like a classic defensive football/baseball struggle more than a knock down drag out boxing match. And I agree.

I'm definitely calling bullshit on all of those Shertards that go on about how Werdum won the fight cause he "outstruck" Overeem in the standup. That was my line of reasoning immediately after the fight before the decision was read. But when I saw the Compustrike stats on the TV after decision was read, Overeem is the only logical winner. Overeem outstruck Werdum in the sense that he landed a higher percentage of his shots-Werdum landed only 48% of his total strikes thrown (to Overeem's 67% landed, of which 87.5% were power strikes), and while that was quantity over Overeem, it certainly wasn't quality. Werdum threw careless, sloppy, weak bullshit shots not in a attempt to finish Overeem, but to distract as he closed the distance to pull guard. A somewhat smart strategy, if it would've worked-he even ate a few knees that clearly rocked him in a futile attempt to pull guard. And if there ever was a case for Pride rules it's this fight-imagine if Overeem cracked Werdum with a soccer kick or stomp while he was butt-scooting?

Otherwise, decent to excellent card. Griggs is on a roll, Cormier and especially Masvidal were super impressive, and we all knew Rogers had nothing for Barnett (Barnett's post fight pro wrestling styled promo was amusing).
Obliteration

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 pm 

I don't know, don"t get me wrong, I don't mind slower paced fights, don't expect every fight to end in a KO, and I really enjoy a good ground game(in fact, I'm starting bjj classes in a couple of months). Nevertheless, this fight was pretty fucking bad. Both guys displayed terrible cardio and looked gassed by the beginning of the 3rd. Very disappointing after so much hype.The shameful distinction of being the worst main event ever still lies with Maia vs. Silva though.

At least Barnett looked good though. And I strongly approve of his new Bolt Thrower inspired nickname "War Master". :metal:

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:25 pm 

Kongo vs Barry... :wtf:

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:38 pm 

The sorrow Pat Barry must be feeling right now has got to be terrible. Incredible KO, but you really gotta feel for the guy.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:40 am 

Wanderlei, noooooo...

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:38 pm 

Yeah that was tough to watch. His style is really not suited for longevity and all that damage has clearly caught up to him.

Pretty crazy night overall, a lot of fast finishes and surprising outcomes.

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:17 pm 

Leify wrote:
Wanderlei, noooooo...

I was devastated, I hate Leben. lol

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 pm 

Kongo is a monster. How do you get up from that beating that Barry gave him? Moreover how do you get up and knock the other out senseless? I don't know but Kongo did it. I think this fight will be a definite highlight in his career.

That said - I was not really suprised to see Wanderlei lose. I hate Leben as much as the next guy but Wandy's career really should be nearing to a close/over. The guy is waaaay past his prime at his point.

And that Tito Ortiz win was really something. I dislike Tito but I got to hand to him he got the job done in a dominant fashion.

Kill yourself or die
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:32 am 

Tito was impressive, but I believe his victory goes more to show how overrated Bader is, rather than some dramatic resurgence of Tito.

Kill yourself or die
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:35 am 

And anyone who thinks Werdum beat Overreem is mentally deficient. Catching Fedor was the both the best and worst thing for Werdum's career. Best because he is the first man to defeat Fedor, worst because he's going to flop on his back against anyone with a modicum of striking expertise.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:48 pm 

I'm a huge mma fan! Glad to see some of u on here like the sport!

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:27 pm 

Pumped for this event. Overall good card with a main event that can decide future of the sports, greatest icon.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:02 pm 

Yeah that card is looking good. I'm pumped for Daley vs Woodley and Beerbohm vs JZ as well as the main event.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 pm 

Overeem Pulled From Strikeforce HWGP

Very disappointing news. A good opportunity for Cormier, but this just kills the luster of the tournament and does nothing to prove who the best HW in the world truly is (under the auspices that the winner would meet the UFC HW champ). I had Overeem as my pick to win, even after the overtly cautious performance against Werdum.

Lot of rumors/conspiracies flying: Overeem's ducking Bigfoot, conflict with Dana White/Zuffa, a broken toe, not enough prep time, a way to expedite his entrance into the UFC, he's leaving MMA for boxing/K-1. Who knows what the fuck's really happening?

Either way, I'm a tad less interested in the tournament overall-if the expressed purpose is to make a case for the best HW in the world, how can that be logically argued if Cormier, or even Sergei win it (i don't think either one will and I'm on the fence between Bigfoot and Barnett)? I'll enjoy the fights at base level, but there's hardly an argument that the GP winner is the best HW in the world over guys like Cain or JDS. Even if a more legit contender like Bigfoot or Barnett win it, they still need to face Overeem as the Strikeforce HW champ, or if Overeem's out from Strikeforce, have a HW title match of some sort to determine the best HW in Strikeforce is before you can even think about some sort of superfight/unification bout with the UFC champ.

All in all the tournament was a good idea in concept but poorly executed due to the hindrance of the Unified rules (where you are prohibited from having a single night tournament). A tournament has to be conducted in one night-not over the course of a year.

And I thought Chad Griggs was the alternate by way of beating Gian Villante and Valentijn Overeem (with Shane Del Rosario as the other alternate out indefinitely with serious injuries)? So how does Cormier fit into this? I'm just glad they didn't totally kill the legitimacy by reinstalling Fedor or Werdum (in my mind, they lost, they're out).

And yeah, the Fedor/Henderson card looks damn good. But what about UFC 136? That card looks so stacked that it is literally unbelievable. Hopefully injuries and politics don't fuck either one of these cards up.
Obliteration

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm 

And touching up on some recent events:

-Kongo/Barry: Superb come from behind KO, although you could make an argument that it should've been stopped in favor of Barry. Good stuff. Let's get Mitrione his first real competitor in Kongo.

-Wanderlei: I like Leben, and it was simply poor strategy and years of punishment that caught up with him. Why throw like a madman with a guy like Leben; what did you think was gonna happen? I was truly hoping that Silva would take a fight with Sonnen (in the hope that he literally murders Sonnen in the cage-I truly cannot stand that guy) after getting past Leben.

It's time to let Pride die it's death; the Pride legends have all looked mediocre to terrible in the States (see Wanderlei, the Nogs, Shogun, Fedor, CroCop, and hell, even Rampage is a shell of his former self). You can blame the ruleset all you want, but the years of punishment finally caught up to these guys. I know that's a controversial statement, and I love Pride for what it was, even if I got into it way after it's existence (for me, as an admitted "late bloomer", I can only look at it in a historical context-a snapshot of MMA history by way of DVDs), but it's time to move on and let go.

-Tito Ortiz: I don't like the guy, but I am oddly happy to see him pull out such a dominating win, even if it was over an overrated Bader. And it takes fucking balls of titanium to take a top level fighter like Rashad on with three weeks prep time. I don't see Ortiz having much for Rashad, but still, to step up in such a fashion is admirable.

-Charles Oliveira: Do the crime, do the time. The strike was blatantly illegal, and had a huge impact on the outcome of the fight. Sure, the ref was the ultimate fuckup here, hence the NC was the right ruling. Had the ref actually done his job, you'd be looking at a DQ loss, so the way I see it, do Bronx got off easy.

-Nate Marquardt: Shitty situation, but he's got no one to blame for himself. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a legit medically based testosterone deficiency, but it's only logical to assume that it's from cycling off of roids (where Nate was a repeat offender). Sucks that Bellator won't even touch him.
Obliteration

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:03 pm 

Allistair Overeem has been cut by Strikeforce/Zuffa

Man, I don't know what to say. There's two theories running about in the Sherdog forums:

-He pissed off Dana White with the circumstances surrounding his withdrawal from thew HWGP.

OR

-This is to expedite signing him to the UFC, as a way to circumvent the Showtime contract.
Obliteration

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:41 am 

These come from behind KO's are really getting popular in the last couple months.

Crazy finish, H-Bombs can come from anywhere.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:23 am 

Leify wrote:
These come from behind KO's are really getting popular in the last couple months.

Crazy finish, H-Bombs can come from anywhere.

Yeah, really. And anyone who says "early stoppage" doesn't know what they're looking at-Fedor was limp and out cold before he hit the ground and was woken up by the impact of hitting the ground. That's a textbook KO if there ever was one.

This year alone saw vicious (T)KO losses for Cro Cop, Wandy, Shogun, and now Fedor. Big Nog is next. Pride is dead; long live Pride!
Obliteration

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:51 am 

Second camera angle reveals stoppage was just. gif/caposa

CandideCamera
Pour l'encouragement des autres

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:52 pm 

Face down
Ass up

We told you so!

Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
This year alone saw vicious (T)KO losses for Cro Cop, Wandy, Shogun, and now Fedor. Big Nog is next. Pride is dead; long live Pride!

=)

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 pm 

It's official. Brock vs. Overeem Dec. 30th. We're finally gonna see how Overeem fares against the UFC roster. After Brock's last performance against Cain, I got Ubereem via Fatality.

Last edited by SymposiumOfSickness on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aadil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am 

True. I can't get my head around Lesnar beating overeem.
It's a fight though and lesnar takedown ala first-mir-fight type strategy could yield results.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next