Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vinylladdie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:21 am 

I saw this show in Edinburgh, and met the bands at a signing session in a beer garden hosted by a local record shop.

My question is: who sung with Death on this tour - certainly wasn't Chuck. The band said he was called Louie (possibly a roadie?)

Anyone help my decaying braincells?

Cheers

http://thesoggybogofdoom.podomatic.com/

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:49 am 

This should clear things up, mate...
"The European tour was only two weeks away and Chuck decided to cancel it for personal reasons. Andrews and Butler decided to do it no matter what, they took on Walter Trachsler (soundman on the preceding US DEATH tour and ex - Texas ROTTING CORPSE member) as guitarist and Louie Carrisalez (ex-ROTTING CORPSE, DEVASTATION) as vocalist and played under the name of DEATH for the long European tour where they supported KREATOR."

Vinylladdie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:05 am 

Cheers bud!

That clears up some foggy memories. They weren't too bad - but there were a lot of unhappy bunnies at Chuck's decision at the gig (i seem to remember a rather flipant response from Andrews at the signing when we asked him)! My Death Lp's are signed by this line up! Doh...

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:24 pm 

Is there any video of this temporary line up? That would be interesting.

Also, I wonder if those signed LPs are any more valuable for that.

Vinylladdie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:33 pm 

Me too!

cravings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:09 am 

yeah, im to big of a death fan but seeing a linup like that would be interested

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:20 am 

Vinylladdie wrote:
Cheers bud!

That clears up some foggy memories. They weren't too bad - but there were a lot of unhappy bunnies at Chuck's decision at the gig (i seem to remember a rather flipant response from Andrews at the signing when we asked him)! My Death Lp's are signed by this line up! Doh...

Band and fans were pissed off big time if I recall. I remember reading in Metal Forces (I think!) a live review for one of their shows with this line-up. It said that someone in the crowd shouted out "Where's Chuck?" and the singer shouted back something like "He's at home having a wank!".

I think those events, plus the fact that Chuck was having serious problems with his Manager, who he parted ways with, at that point were the main reasons why 'Human' turned out to be more brutal than Spiritual Healing. Chuck was pissed and had a lot to get off his chest!

I too wonder if those signed LP's are worth considerably more than you may have originally thought.

Vinylladdie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:05 am 

Ah metal forces... now that was a great mag...

Might test the waters of EBAY with signed cd of Spiritual Healing....

Cheers for help Tornado!

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:10 am 

Vinylladdie wrote:

Yep, back in the day in South Africa that was the first metal mag I bought and continued to buy, pricey as it was.

Curious about the value of those LPs, too, would be nice to have an actual grading guide for metal stuff besides the ridiculous prices on eBay and what-not.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:34 am 

Vinylladdie wrote:

Might test the waters of EBAY with signed cd of Spiritual Healing....

Cheers for help Tornado!

No worries, dude. Would have been an interesting gig to be attending, that's for sure (I didn't get to see Death until 1998 or 1999, at the Dynamo Festival in Holland). And seeing Kreator playing material from just their first 5 albums would have been fantastic, too.

I'm sure there are fans that would pay handsomely for those signed albums you have. But don't let 'em go for too low a price. It would be quite difficult to get autographs from the remaining ex-members of Spiritual Healing era Death (I think Bill Andrews lives in Japan now as an English teacher). I just wonder how much an album with Chuck's autograph would now be worth?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:59 am 

Death without Chuck, as a fan you gotta feel pretty ripped off if you paid money for that. It's as bizarre as Megadeth without Dave would be.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:30 am 

droneriot wrote:
Death without Chuck, as a fan you gotta feel pretty ripped off if you paid money for that. It's as bizarre as Megadeth without Dave would be.

"Hello me; it's me again. Wait, no, it isn't. Sorry about that."
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:55 pm 

If only the real Death had toured with Kreator back in 1990; That would have been really kick ass. As for the autographs, I'd hold onto them. It's still 2/4 of the Spiritual Healing line up and it's cool to be able to say you got a signature from the guy who replaced Chuck, as stupid as it may sound.

Vinylladdie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:14 pm 

"No worries, dude. Would have been an interesting gig to be attending, that's for sure (I didn't get to see Death until 1998 or 1999, at the Dynamo Festival in Holland). And seeing Kreator playing material from just their first 5 albums would have been fantastic, too."

Kreator were worth it alone - insane pit action. Had the the tour poster for years - gone now tho.... no idea what happened to it. Still, have the ticket stub and a bunch of photo's of K live in Germany that they gave me at the signing session... and my signed K lp's :)

Had that Death line up line my Scream BG and Leprosy LP's too....

A great day that was indeed....

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:31 am 

I'd love to hear this although I totally understand why Chuck had to fire his band members after this debacle. Did they really think they could replace Chuck in the long run with impunity?

SheerTerror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:46 am 

Sounds like an interesting line up but I would be really pissed if that was the only time I ever got to see Death...without Chuck!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:35 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I'd love to hear this although I totally understand why Chuck had to fire his band members after this debacle. Did they really think they could replace Chuck in the long run with impunity?

It was also because of the lies they spread on that tour. Would you want to be in a band with a bunch of guys who said that you were joining a glam band, off masturbating, etc. etc.? I wouldn't.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:28 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
off masturbating, etc. etc.?

They probably weren't lying about that. He's a professional musician not on tour, not much else for them to do.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:
off masturbating, etc. etc.?

They probably weren't lying about that. He's a professional musician not on tour, not much else for them to do.

Good point, lol. Still not something I'd want my band members to be telling the fans.

Vinylladdie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:37 pm 

a live show from this tour!

http://lockjaw-yappy.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ov-24.html

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 pm 

The only time I saw Death was I think in 1990, but now I'm confused. Certainly, It was between 1990 and 1991 but the other main act with them was Pestilence. The show was in Portland, OR. Anyone remember what year it was and who else they were with. I was a huge fan of Kreator at the time and it wan't them. Death, Pestilence, and <bands>.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:40 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
The only time I saw Death was I think in 1990, but now I'm confused. Certainly, It was between 1990 and 1991 but the other main act with them was Pestilence. The show was in Portland, OR. Anyone remember what year it was and who else they were with. I was a huge fan of Kreator at the time and it wan't them. Death, Pestilence, and <bands>.

It wasn't Carcass was it? I'm sure they toured with Death and Pestilence around 1990/1991.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:12 am 

Yeah, when I saw Death (with Chuck) towards the end of 1990 in Boston, Carcass were the main opening act. I had never heard Carcass until then and they had such stage presence I bought Symphonies Of Sickness the next day. I don't even remember if Pestilence played at that show or not.

I also saw Death in late 1989 (unless it was really early in 1990...too long ago to remember) with Devastation opening. For both of those gigs I was bummed that they only played Zombie Ritual from SBG as a crowd pleaser. I guess Chuck was already shedding his gory roots at that point.

The only other time I saw them was for their Individual Thought Patterns tour, and was hoping Andy LaRoque would be on stage...he wasn't of course. Sacrifice opened for them...which was funny since they hadn't been relevent since the 80s; I was expecting a more death metal band for some reason.

fatal_ecstasy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:53 pm 

Vinylladdie, thank you for good idea for the topic! I well remember some interviews from those distant times - Death' members against Chuck and Chuck against guys. It was a pit of poison.

Hope, to find any video from those gigs!

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:15 pm 

Heres an interview where Chuck briefly discusses that tour and what happened.

http://www.emptywords.org/Thrash%27nBurn-08-1991.htm

Edit** Found another one. This site is actually full of different interviews put in a timeline from the eighties to the two thousands.

http://www.emptywords.org/RHinterview3-91.htm

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:04 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

It was also because of the lies they spread on that tour. Would you want to be in a band with a bunch of guys who said that you were joining a glam band, off masturbating, etc. etc.? I wouldn't.

i like how people always take Chucks side on that, the fuckin guy ditched out on their tour of Europe for like the 3rd time? yeah.....personally i wouldn't want to be in a band where people don't fufill their obligations [nevermind, i was listening to Death afterwards totally forgot "Live in eindhoven?" i thought that was somewhere on the east coast but apparently it's dutch]

and on that Death/Pestilence tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMp97zFn_tM an interview of Pestilence after Death quit early for having a bottle thrown ahah

last thing, from that^ interview posted:
Quote:
for the project, Charlie began intensive rehearsals for the record, eventually entering Tampa's Morrisound Studio's on April 29th to start tracking the album. At the end of May, just as the group and producer Scott Burns began to mix the new record -titled "Human"- I had an opportunity to sit down face-to-face with Chuck 'Right On' Schuldiner

Charlie 'Right on' Schuldiner, gave me a good laugh

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:23 pm 

The emptywords.org page is full of so many articles I would of never knew existed. The past two days I have been reading through them when time allows. Lots of interesting stuff. Its nice to read through a bands existence when you weren't able to live through it. Especially when Death have become one of my favorite bands.

You would of thought that this Kreator tour would of caused a louder controversy. I never even knew about it until I read about it here.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:32 pm 

The bootleg from that tour is very interesting. The guy handling the vocals seems like the one singing on Devastation's Idolatry. Yet the vocals on that album are attributed to another dude. Your thoughts ?

Clint502
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:34 am 

I know this thread is over 2 years old but footage of this tour has finally been posted online. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME5J-hZC77U

A truly awful performance. It gets interesting at 19:30. A huge "We want Chuck" chant starts. That is when the majority of the shit talking about Chuck takes place.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:14 pm 

My question from 2011 is still unanswered. Judging by the video the vocals are identical to Rodney Dunsmore's on Devastation's Idolatry. Louie Carrisalez is credited as a drummer on Signs Of Life. The rest of his credits are drumming related as well, except for the record which states that he did live vocals for Death. Something is wrong here.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:52 pm 

It looks more like Rodney than Louie too. Not the greatest quality video though.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:09 am 

I think in an interview Chuck said that he understood why they went on without them and knew it was shitty to bail, but he fired them more because of the shit they were talking on him throughout the tour. He got real pissed about that, he saw it as a betrayal.

It's funny to watch his reaction to it over time, I think someone asks him about it in an interview around the ITP days, and he's like, "It's not really a big deal."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:16 am 

Does anybody know if Chuck ever made good with them after that? Chuck seemed like a pretty forgiving guy after a period of time has elapsed; he made good with Eric Greif after they had their spat.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:00 am 

Subrick wrote:
Does anybody know if Chuck ever made good with them after that? Chuck seemed like a pretty forgiving guy after a period of time has elapsed; he made good with Eric Greif after they had their spat.

He probably did. All of those guys are extremely positive towards Chuck these days, even James Murphy. I once read an interview with Chuck (around the "Human"-era) where he basically said that he hated "every ex-Death member except for Chris Reifert", but Rick Rozz has stated that he reconnected with Chuck several years before his death. Really, the only negative thing I have ever read about him was a Kam Lee interview from before Chuck's death (where he stated Rick Rozz left Death because he was "too fat" and that Chuck was only interested in hitting on girls).

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:58 pm 

I remember I was SUPPOSED to see Death in San Francisco in the spring of 1989, they were scheduled to play with Dark Angel, Horde of Torment/(aka Las Vegas Pestilence,) and Sadus. Right when the show started we found out Death had cancelled, and they had essentially broke up- so the promoter got Autopsy to open the show (at the last minute) and Dark Angel ended up headlining instead. It was, I believe, one of the first times Autopsy had ever played live, and they clearly were inexperienced. But I never heard about the remaining members touring without Chuck; that would have been strange. Death- with all new members, did tour about 18 mos. later with Carcass and I forget who else; maybe it WAS the European Pestilence (actually think it was now that I think about it.)

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:19 am 

true_death wrote:
All of those guys are extremely positive towards Chuck these days

Given that the dude is dead, that's not really surprising.

Reply to topic