Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 am 

Anybody here ever watch Sons of Anarchy? I enjoyed the first two seasons but found the third one to be extremely boring. It really played out like a slow motion soap opera. Oh well, there is always Breaking Bad to look forward to. :)

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:50 am 

wreath_of_coils wrote:
Anybody here ever watch Sons of Anarchy? I enjoyed the first two seasons but found the third one to be extremely boring. It really played out like a slow motion soap opera. Oh well, there is always Breaking Bad to look forward to. :)

Yeah i have all the episodes - not too bad a show, but hardly up there with Sopranos, The Wire or Breaking Bad for me. It took me ages to start watching it - but when i started the first season i was pretty hooked, and figured i'd watch the whole thing few - which only took a couple weeks i think. Yeah the 3rd season was a bit shit - that whole story with the baby being kidnapped i thought was pretty ridiculous and went on for afar too long. I dunno - something about the writing in that show is just a little off. Still will be watching the next season, but yeah - not the best drama out there.

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 am 

Yeah man the first two were very well done. Nothing ground-breaking or state of the art but still fuckin solid. Funny you mentioned Sopranos. Because I think SOA is kinda like Sopranos gone renegade biker. The baby drama was definitely lame as all fuck. If only the whole season would have been like the final episode in season 3 it would have been killer. And I thought when they showed Jax reading his father's journal was a nice touch. They totally got rid of it though.

Last edited by wreath_of_coils on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:18 am 

Yeah agree there - while the storyline often seems a bit far/fetched unrealistic - it still seems buyable, entertaining etc - but se3 really seemed to come apart quite palpably. Speaking of shows "like Sopranos" - there's this show Underbelly - an Australian hit crime series - often considered "their answer" to Sopranos - following based-on real events that happened in some huge criminal enterprise/court case in the early/mid 90s. Gangsters, shootings, savage beatings, glitz and glamour, and criminal investigation. Those of you big TV fans out there that collect and explore new shows might find it worthwhile to check out - or at least read up on. There's probably some helpful reviews on IMDB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underbelly_(TV_series)

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:21 am 

That sounds like something worth checking out.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:39 am 

Just finished the first season of SOA, took a few episodes but I'm quite into it right now, currently working through the second, but am only one ep in, seems to be a major loss of all the momentum that the end of season 1 had sadly.

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:50 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Just finished the first season of SOA, took a few episodes but I'm quite into it right now, currently working through the second, but am only one ep in, seems to be a major loss of all the momentum that the end of season 1 had sadly.

The second season is good. Nothing amazing or mind blowing but still solid.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:16 pm 

Critics tend to say that the first season is rough, and it feels somewhat bumbling and amateuresque - from memory. Personally i liked the crimes and ongoing investigation in the first season - it seemed pretty all guns blazing, and fairly gritty and exciting - whereas the third season for sure seemed to lose some that momentum. Anyway, one iof the best things about that show is Katey Segal (of MWC, Futurama fame) - she's a great actress - really versatile, doing very well in her role on SoA. It's kindof a Comic-Con style nerdy wish of mine to meet her. I've been a fan since the 80s. I used to and still watch Married With Children, occasionally.

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:00 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Critics tend to say that the first season is rough, and it feels somewhat bumbling and amateuresque - from memory. Personally i liked the crimes and ongoing investigation in the first season - it seemed pretty all guns blazing, and fairly gritty and exciting - whereas the third season for sure seemed to lose some that momentum. Anyway, one iof the best things about that show is Katey Segal (of MWC, Futurama fame) - she's a great actress - really versatile, doing very well in her role on SoA. It's kindof a Comic-Con style nerdy wish of mine to meet her. I've been a fan since the 80s. I used to and still watch Married With Children, occasionally.

I kinda dig on Katey Segal myself. She is great on SOA. I always thought it to be a bit disturbing that Al Bundy loathed the idea of boinking his buxom babe of a wife on a regular basis. :lol:

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 pm 

wreath_of_coils wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

I kinda dig on Katey Segal myself. She is great on SOA. I always thought it to be a bit disturbing that Al Bundy loathed the idea of boinking his buxom babe of a wife on a regular basis. :lol:

Hahaha, you must be a young man. I identify with Al Bundy on that one. Nerds will love Katey Segal primarily for her awesome work in Futurama, but she's sweet in MWC too - she actually had a lot to do with creating the character of Peggy. She's quite a statuesque woman - maybe it's the TV nerd in me - but i used to think she was quite pretty - she even looks well as an older bird on SoA. Anyway, a legit starlet - she's been in 3 shows i have and rate.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:46 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Well it kind of was, the first few eps were a bit messy, kind of relying on shock value and constant violence to really keep you entertained, but the last 5 or 6 eps were really solid.

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Hahaha, you must be a young man. I identify with Al Bundy on that one. Nerds will love Katey Segal primarily for her awesome work in Futurama, but she's sweet in MWC too - she actually had a lot to do with creating the character of Peggy. She's quite a statuesque woman - maybe it's the TV nerd in me - but i used to think she was quite pretty - she even looks well as an older bird on SoA. Anyway, a legit starlet - she's been in 3 shows i have and rate.

Well, I'm 29. So I guess I'm considered young. HAHA Yeah, love MWC and it's unapolagetic tackiness. Nothing wrong thinking that. I'd say you are right. And she still is a good lookin older broad. Her style on SOA is the perfect mix between trash and class. HAHA

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:30 pm 

Hmmmm.... got some new TV shows over the weekend. Children's Hospital is a lame, misguided modern comedy short series, which i can't understand how it got pickled up. Though it has some good cast members such as Henry Winkler, it also has some awful people like Micheal Cera - and it largely relies on shock value and silly jokes, ("I'm afraid we're going to have to cut off your son's cock") feeling like a cheap, tacky attempt at comedy somewhat in the vein of Green Wing or Scrubs. Pretty sad really.

I'm also checking out Fast & Loose - a British comedy sketch show in the tradition of Whose Line is it Anyway? Not bad - has some familiar faces such as the guy who played the principal on Inbetweeners.

Baboons With Bill Bailey is another show i've just got. Bill Bailey writes and presents the narration in a documentary series following three different baboon groups around Cape Town - South Africa. While it's pretty watchable, and well shot - the addition of Bill Bailey really doesnt seem to bring anything special, or funny to the mix, and those of you who have watched a bit of National Geographic/Anbimal Planet, other cable channels really won't find this anything new - really. In fact, i'm pretty sure i've seen an almost identical documentary series not presented by Bill Bailey - and also set in Cape Town suburbs. Still though, not bad.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 pm 

Re-watching Point Pleasant. I think this show was awesome.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:35 am 

Party Down is another show i checked out recently. I got both seasons of it on Sunday evening - and watched them all through in two days. I actually like it quite a lot. Besides its obvious similarities with Parks & Rec, and other workplace sitcoms - i still quite like it on the whole. It follows the life of a small crew of staff that work for the eponymous catering company - mostly aspiring actors and writers, the ups and downs of the careers, andins and outs of their personal lives, dealing with Hollywood and 'the biz'. While there is quite a bit of romance in there - a la The Office or Parks & Rec, it is performed well by the actors - and rarely gets too sappy. The real highlight of the show is the relatability of the characters - who deal with having their dreams and aspirations shattered, colleagues that far surpass them in their fields, and the utter clusterfucks that most of their catering events turn out to be. There are a lot of celebrity guests - and it follows those in show biz - so at times it feels somewhat akin to Curb or Extras - two great shows. Anyway, better than shows like Childrens Hospital or Better off Ted - or most of the standard formulaic American sitcoms out there - worth a watch if you like a good, awkward comedy.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:40 pm 

Rewatching some season one of Breaking bad on a rainy, hungover saturday today. Great show but nothing beats the first time round, with this one i reckon. Sopranos i can rewatch - and have been - for 8 or 9 years, but for some reason The Wire, SoA and Breaking Bad - though good shows don't have the replay value. Anyway - Breaking Bad; unparalleled originality, melodramatic with sincerity and realism at times. Relatable characters and situations, tragedy, and moments of enthralling suspense and thrills. Brialliantly acted. Cranston is boss.

Watched a Charlie Brooker special this morning but it wasn't very good. I finally got round to getting Game of Thrones which i might watch later.

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:42 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Rewatching some season one of Breaking bad on a rainy, hungover saturday today. Great show but nothing beats the first time round, with this one i reckon. Sopranos i can rewatch - and have been - for 8 or 9 years, but for some reason The Wire, SoA and Breaking Bad - though good shows don't have the replay value. Anyway - Breaking Bad; unparalleled originality, melodramatic with sincerity and realism at times. Relatable characters and situations, tragedy, and moments of enthralling suspense and thrills. Brialliantly acted. Cranston is boss.

Watched a Charlie Brooker special this morning but it wasn't very good. I finally got round to getting Game of Thrones which i might watch later.

Breaking Bad is my personal fave out of all the ongoing TV shows. I like the scene when they hit him with the news that he has inoperable lung cancer. Behind Walt there is this big painting of some arid looking landscape on the wall. He just looks like his mind (and body) has wandered into some far off land.

Last edited by wreath_of_coils on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:47 am 

I'm in the process of seeing Trailer Park Boys start to finish (on episode 22 now) on netflix. This is the best show I've discovered in forever.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 pm 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
I'm in the process of seeing Trailer Park Boys start to finish (on episode 22 now) on netflix. This is the best show I've discovered in forever.

Good to hear about a new convert to the show. Longtime fan myself. Be sure to check out the specials and movies too. I really hope to see a new show from the cast and crew that done TPB, but it's been a while now. I heard rumours they had some stufff in the works.

That show is really better than people try and claim. Autered, with awesome characters, and hearty character development that unfolds with little snippets and flashbacks, shitloads of running jokes that only real fans would get. Sure, it's lowbrow, but there's some really smart and inventive stuff being done. Ridulous and absurd situations and some really strong acting. Lahey and Ray in particular.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:00 pm 

You people need to watch Grounded for Life.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:47 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
You people need to watch Grounded for Life.

Why? You didn't really elaborate much. At least offer some reasons why you think it's a good show. Personally, i assume it's crap. Convince me otherwise.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 pm 

Well, it's basically one of my favorite sitcoms.
It has all these geek and punk-rock references that makes it great.
I don't know, but what's not to like about an irish-american catholic couple that got kids when they were teenagers?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:14 pm 

The Killing just pulled a fast one.

I hate television programming.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:17 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

I guess you're wtaching the American remake and not the awesome Danish original?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33 pm 

Spoiler: show
From what I read, Belko was the killer in the original Danish show. I don't know how awesome that would be.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:46 pm 

I guess I should have said, you people need to watch Grounded for Life.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Ruins outcome of show

Thanks for the spoiler - i hadn't watched all of it (Danish) yet :grumble: we do have a spoiler function, you know

Last edited by DeathRiderDoom on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:22 am 

Exactly. I've really liked the show but I suppose there's no reason to finish it now. Cheers, mate.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:55 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

That was one of the worst hours of television I've ever seen. I generally liked the show, although it was heavily, heavily flawed. However, the finale was downright awful, insulting, and indefensible. Critics and fans have really been unloading on it today.

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:08 pm 

holy shit, "Children's Hospital" is awesome...its like my new "Strangers With Candy"!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:34 pm 

I only watched it recently - and didn't really care for it. Are you familiar with Green Wing or Phoneshop? Nothing in Children's Hospital that hasn't been done already, but better in Green Wing a long time ago. Even Parks & Rec for something American

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Good to hear about a new convert to the show. Longtime fan myself. Be sure to check out the specials and movies too. I really hope to see a new show from the cast and crew that done TPB, but it's been a while now. I heard rumours they had some stufff in the works.

That show is really better than people try and claim. Autered, with awesome characters, and hearty character development that unfolds with little snippets and flashbacks, shitloads of running jokes that only real fans would get. Sure, it's lowbrow, but there's some really smart and inventive stuff being done. Ridulous and absurd situations and some really strong acting. Lahey and Ray in particular.

Some of the cast do tours throughout Canada. Missed one here with the actors who played Randy, and Lahey. They were doing some sort of live show based on their characters and word is it was a real fun time as they interacted with the audience quite a bit. Pisses me off that I missed it.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:54 pm 

^ Yeah i've heard about those live performances - pretty essential for fans. I've heard theyre pretty great. Fucking Randy and Lahey are definitely one of the great comedy duos. Pair of drunk, gay, cross dressing, cantankerous morons.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 pm 

And somehow, being what you described, they are my favorite characters. "Frig off Ricky."

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:51 am 

Going through my TV collection and decided to watch something i haven't watched in a while and FUUUUUUUUUCK! Summer Heights High. My fuck, just flicked on the first episode and it's LOL central. Along with Underbelly and Swift & Shift - among the best TV ever made in australia. The characters he's chosen to invent, the hilarious jokes, and the real-ness of the supporting cast make this a memorable show from this talented auteur.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:12 am 

Summer Heights High is beyond terrible. The black humour is far too heavy to be even called humour. I have not watched many worse shows than that.

I remember one skit involving his persona of the annoying ADHD kid and his father, where he drew a picture of his father touching his dick. The skit went for a few minutes, with the father and a school counsellor. There was not a single joke in that entire scene. It was basically a scene about sexual abuse and how to deal with it.

One of the worst shows on television. Sorry, DeathRiderDoom.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:27 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Summer Heights High is beyond terrible. The black humour is far too heavy to be even called humour. I have not watched many worse shows than that.

I remember one skit involving his persona of the annoying ADHD kid and his father, where he drew a picture of his father touching his dick. The skit went for a few minutes, with the father and a school counsellor. There was not a single joke in that entire scene. It was basically a scene about sexual abuse and how to deal with it.

One of the worst shows on television. Sorry, DeathRiderDoom.

hahahaha - that scene was ridiculous. I wouldn't even call that show that black on the comedy, it's just characters and situations. Nowhere even near the realm of consideration for worst television show out there though, sorry Mikey. Ever 'eard of a little show called Dharma & Greg? ;)

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:40 am 

I remember seeing that a few times on TV. I loved the one where he plays some asian man's son who has trouble with school. It was pretty bleak but at the same time, pretty fun to watch.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

ToeCutter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:54 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcRoCpxYM_s

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm 

Yeah i actually found out theyre finally airing The Drunk & On Drugs Happy Funtime Hour last night. I was copying movies off a friend and he mentioned it's airing soon. I thought they must've abandoned that project coz like a year ago i heard stuff about it, but it seemed like it wasn't going ahead or something.

Speaking of Chris Lilley shows, I got the episodes of his latest show - the recent Angry Boys which is fucking hilarious. Lilley Plays an ensemble cast again, a la SHH and We Can Be Heroes, this time he reprises his roles as the twin brothers Danile & Nathan Sims, but also a bunch of outrageous new characters - including "gran" a juvenile prison guard, and idiot African American rapper S.Mouse - a cutting parody of retarded dance/crunk/hip hop music of today. Great show with some really crass humour, smart satire, relatability, and awesome writing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 182  Next