Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:49 pm 

I dunno, i really like the first Evil Dead - although it often literally puts me to sleep, hahaha. It's got a creepy air about it, and it kinda almost seems like something that could actual happen/realistic at times. I mean, like i feel as though i'm in that situation when i'm watching it. The direction and simplistic premise of the first part of the film are the reason for this. III i watched the other day and was metal as fuck and hilarious, and pretty rad. II i have of course, but havent watched it in ages. will try write something on it after i watch it.

This thread is cool coz it can kinda serve as a research/reference piece for those looking to get into some new horror flicks they havent seen. there's a couple in here i havent seen - i like to read up on films before actually deciding to watch or get them. RYM and imdb "lists", blog entries, user/critic reviews, and threads like this are pretty useful before deciding to take the plunge.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:17 pm 

The second Evil Dead is cool, but it felt like a sort of unsure blend between the first one and the third one, both of which are more entertaining. The second one seemed confused with whether or not it wanted to be a horror or a comedy, where the first and third were pretty damn convinced in that regard.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:00 am 

All I'm gonna say at this point is that Bruce Campbell is a golden god. Ash is soooo fucken mad and funny as the series progresses, and his battle with the 'little Ash's' is something to behold!

It's a pity that Raimi dropped him after he made it big, even though he gave him the cameos in the Spidey flicks. The man needs a big-time main feature already.

And if you haven't read his autobiography yet, do yourself a favour. He's so very genuine and funny, and just loves what he does (even the Xena and Hercules episodes, which are questionable :) )

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:25 am 

I've been interested in Lifeforce for some time, but still haven't got round to watching it. Also - i want to see Communion with Christopher walken. Anyone recommend this?

Yeah that Gulliver's Travels or whatever reference is ridiculous in ED III. I'll definitely be watching II soon.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:55 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
I've been interested in Lifeforce for some time, but still haven't got round to watching it. .

I'd highly recommend Lifeforce (as written on the first page of the thread). it's some really good crossing of dystopian SciFi (due to the vampires coming from space), vampire movie and zombie horror.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:46 am 

John Carpenter's The Thing, definitely. I just watched it for the first time a couple of days ago, it was pretty damn good. I'm going to have to buy it soon so I can watch it on my FUCKING COUCH!!! :lol:

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:08 am 

Just watched Return Of The Living Dead again.
Man, it's such a cheeseball affair that you have to love it: the cornball 80's soundtrack, the references to Night Of The Living Dead, the zombies chanting "BRAAAIIIINNNSSS!! LIVE BRAAAIIIINNNSSS!!", the general poor acting, and the naked Punk bird with her shaved 'nana dancing in the graveyard. Oh, and kudos to the zombie that uses the cop radio to say "Send more cops!" :) Classic.

On the subject of the undead, I watched some indie flick called 'Make Out With Violence' yesterday. Kinda like Juno meets Dawn Of The Dead with a soundalike Arcade Fire soundtrack. Kinda weird and gentle with a zombie girl as the main character. I'm not sure that I liked it (though it was shot beautifully). Anyone know it?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:36 am 

^ Have the film, love it, loved it since the 80s. Also been listening to 45 Grave Today. how bout the titties in that film? my lord.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:37 am 

I think RotLD is a movie I would have had to have seen when it first came out to really like it like some do. I thought it was just OK, same goes for Fright Night.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:40 am 

Agroguitarist wrote:
and the naked Punk bird with her shaved 'nana dancing in the graveyard.

Fun fact, she was wearing a featureless Barbie-doll prosthetic in all of those scenes and was not fully nude. The director felt that full nudity would be a bit to much for the movie.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 pm 

Aw, you just ruined that for me ;)

They are fine breasts, I will say. Plus, that kind of full frontal nudity (real or not) is always nice in a horror flick. Gives a film a nice feel.

Kinda like the naughty bits in Excalibur which, to this day, is my fave King Arthur flick.
Not because of the naughty bits, but they helped...

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:38 pm 

Here's something to chat about (well, for the zombieheads like meself):
Which do you prefer - the original Night Of The Living Dead or the remake by Savini?
And by the same token, Romero Dawn Of The Dead or the remake with Ving Rhames?

For me, I love 'em all, but the original NOTLD was good and creepy, and the satire in the original DOTD was definitely tops. Romero is king of zombies.

Ving Rhames sure can cap the undead though. And zombie babies are always terrifying.

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:14 am 

That NOTLD remake has gotta be my favorite remake ever. Followed by the Texas Chainsaw remake, followed by the Dawn of the Dead remake, although it seems like they kinda missed the point.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:41 am 

I can safely say I enjoy the Dawn of the Dead remake many times over the original. Overall I just felt the production and entire movie was incredible. Also one of the best song intros in a movie ever. Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around was perfect for that opening.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 am 

I like the remake of DOTD for precisely that - the zombies were mean, the destruction was well-filmed, and it had some amazing zombie moments.
But as I said, it just didn't hit the satire button like the first, which was sooooo good. I love the mall music throughout the flick.

And yeah, the Cash was a great idea!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I think RotLD is a movie I would have had to have seen when it first came out to really like it like some do. I thought it was just OK, same goes for Fright Night.

I love Fright Night - it's cool a cool vibe and is pretty stylish. I love light hearted, more PGish horror flicks of the 80s (Trick or Treat comes to mind) - as well as the really nasty, gory stuff of course.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:30 am 

Yeah, the light-hearted 80's horror stuff is great. Gimme Gremlins, Ghoulies, Child's Play, Trick Or Treat any day.
I'll even throw Ghostbusters in there, simply because it's that fucking good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 am 

Yeah, I like all that stuff too. Brain Dead, Re Animator, Child's Play, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, etc. are all films I really love. RotLD and Fright Night are just kind of in the second tier category for my rating system. Still fun, enjoyable flicks though. Perhaps just not as hard hitting for me.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 am 

I've heard they're going to remake Killer Klowns. Hopefully this is just a rumor, i really don't think KK's got any place as a new movie.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:20 pm 

Watched the '90s remake of NoTLD. Wasn't bad at all.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:07 pm 

Reviewing the Pumpkinhead movies today got me in the mood. Anyone hear like the first one? It's pretty damn great.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Watched the '90s remake of NoTLD. Wasn't bad at all.

Yeah if i recall correctly - that film isn't actually too bad. I remember it just being a straight forward - pretty faithful rendition/homage - simply updated and in colour, of course. I havent seen it in years and wouldn't mind adding it to my horror collection.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:10 pm 

Who are more Metal The Gremlins or Critters? Looks like I'm gonna have to bust these out and scare my daughter shitless.
And almost forgot Children of the Corn...watching it right now. I don't think I ever saw COTC 2 and 3, anybody know if they were any good?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 422392026#

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 am 

Gremlins and Critters rule. Hard.

And I loved all the Children Of The Corn flicks, although the first is still my fave. Something so disturbing about that story...

And while we're on the subject of Horror movies with kids, anyone into the original B&W versions of 'Children Of The Damned' and 'Village Of The Damned'? Perhaps not as horror a they could be (but we have to remember the time they were filmed), but creeeeppppyyy as fuck.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:56 am 

SluseTheInventor wrote:
That NOTLD remake has gotta be my favorite remake ever. Followed by the Texas Chainsaw remake, followed by the Dawn of the Dead remake, although it seems like they kinda missed the point.

1990 NOTLD was one of the worst remakes for a horror movie I thought. Hated it! They had no business re-making TCM but since it did good business anyway I guess the money is there for them to keep remaking these classics.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
SluseTheInventor wrote:

1990 NOTLD was one of the worst remakes for a horror movie I thought. Hated it! They had no business re-making TCM but since it did good business anyway I guess the money is there for them to keep remaking these classics.

I dunno - man. It was made by a lot of the original crew that worked on the first one - and Tom Savini is a man who i respect. The direction wasn't bad - the guy's dedicated to horror, and i think he earned the right to direct his own film - and is probably more of a effects director/camera director than a writer - so he may have opted for a remake on these strengths. The effects were cool - and on the DVD apparently you can see all the supergore that was cut from the theatrical version - NEAT! I rarely care for remakes - mostly the 90s/2000s ones however, but some of the 70s-80s ones are pretty decent. Colorising films and modernising special visual (non-CGI) effects isn't so bad necessarily.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 pm 

Agroguitarist wrote:
Gremlins and Critters rule. Hard.

And I loved all the Children Of The Corn flicks, although the first is still my fave. Something so disturbing about that story...

And while we're on the subject of Horror movies with kids, anyone into the original B&W versions of 'Children Of The Damned' and 'Village Of The Damned'? Perhaps not as horror a they could be (but we have to remember the time they were filmed), but creeeeppppyyy as fuck.

It's that fucker Malichi, he's the real satanist in the bunch.

Movies with kids makes me think of the one and only Cronenberg's The Brood. I think I had nightmares due to that one, and I just saw it a couple of years ago!. Dead Ringers and Scanners were also good. Naked Lunch is not so much a horror flick as a tip of the hat to the ol' bard. The Fly was scary when I first saw it as a kid, I doubt I'd have anything but nostalgic delight if I see it again. I need to get my Cronenberg on.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 pm 

Cronenberg's great. While Scanners, Videodrome and The Fly are probably my favourite films of his - The Brood is also great, and his first film Shivers (1975), while pretty amateurish in comparison to his polished later works, is decent. It could be cool if he remade it actually. Anyway - one of my favourite directors - his later thrillers History of Violence and Eastern Promises are also great.

Morbidhunger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:30 pm 

I don't know how anyone could like the remake of Dawn of the Dead more than the original. The first time i saw Dawn of the Dead (1978) it had a heavy impact on me. This had the be the most powerful horror movie i had ever seen. There was so much commentary on the sick society we live in that rang so true. This film had me so invested in the story and characters and came away emotionally drained.

The remake is just a product of the society the original was pointing at. It seems to appeal mostly to all the brainless robots that think lady gaga and lil wayne are musical geniuses. To me it's nothing more than just another polished up crappy hollywood action movie. Had almost completely forgotten about it. But Dawn of the Dead (1978) is one that will stay with me forever.

Wibble23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 am 

I have a soft spot (probably in the middle of my brain) for some of the "Video Nasties" like Zombie Flesh Eaters & Cannibal Holocaust, since they manage to be both cheesy and offensive! I remember going down to the local video shop (a small room off the side of my local garage, no Blockbusters or Global Videos then!) & perusing the shelves for some of these classics, before Thatcher & Co. decided to dictate what was good for us.

Of course with the advent of region-free DVD players & the internet, I've been able to relive the good old days again! Watch Zombie Creeping Flesh for the zombie rat (You Heard!) & Island of Death for just general offensive tackiness!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:08 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
I also have to put a Christopher Lee movie here; Dracula AD 1972. That movie just is a great laugh and filled with quotes for metal albums and already some bands have caught up on that. Christopher Lee as Dracula is amazing to watch.

There is a sad lack of respect for the Hammer Horror movies of the 60's. They really were ground breaking for the time. Their animations were shit (the plastic toy bats are laughable, and terrible by todays standards) but they set the pace for years to come. They were among the first films to focus on the victims as the main storyline (or Frankenstein in the Frankenstein series). The Karnstein series was among the first to show public lesbian scenes, as well as nudity on a mainstream film.

Some of the best include The Curse of Frankenstein, The Vampire Lovers and The Mummy. There were perhaps 20-30 films made altogether, and sadly most are little more than cult films these days.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
There is a sad lack of respect for the Hammer Horror movies of the 60's. They really were ground breaking for the time. Their animations were shit (the plastic toy bats are laughable, and terrible by todays standards) but they set the pace for years to come. They were among the first films to focus on the victims as the main storyline (or Frankenstein in the Frankenstein series). The Karnstein series was among the first to show public lesbian scenes, as well as nudity on a mainstream film.

Some of the best include The Curse of Frankenstein, The Vampire Lovers and The Mummy. There were perhaps 20-30 films made altogether, and sadly most are little more than cult films these days.

Christopher Lee is a wicked actor. I had only seen him in The Wicker Man (a favorite), and in another movie the title of which I don't remember starring Boris Karloff in a wheelchair. I hope to track down every Lee, Cushing, and Karloff movie. So far I have not been disappointed. I saw The Curse of Frankestein which was awesome. I like how atmosphere and actual acting drives these flicks as opposed to today's moody teen-age crap. Also in the Horror of Dracula I dug how the carriage Dracula was riding in is actually being driven through the smallest of bridges and spaces at full speed!... fuck yeah.

Have you guys seen The Terror starring Karloff and a young Jack Nicholson? Although cheesy in some parts the movie is full of great scenes contemplated by the great dialogue and characters like the old witch setting spells by the shore giving the flick a nice touch. Karloff's assistant is also very well played.

I just saw Snake People starring Karloff and a host of characters straight out of a French colony in a Pacific tropical island. The plot revolves around the futile attempts of a French Lt. trying to clean up the island natives' voodoo practices.

I just got The Mummy and will see it tonight, hope it's good. I was watching The Satanic Rites of Dracula starring Cushing and Lee the other night on Elvira's show Movie Macabre but just couldn't watch it after she over did it with her usual interruptions and constant commercials. I'll just see it later in its entirety.

Jesus Christ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:03 am 

Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3-D. There's just something classic about an arrow in the eye and Jason squeezing some guys head until the eyeball pops out. I just picked up the 3-D version a few months ago. The DVD comes with a pair of classic 3-D glasses. It's pretty cool.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:09 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:
Christopher Lee is a wicked actor. I had only seen him in The Wicker Man (a favorite), and in another movie the title of which I don't remember starring Boris Karloff in a wheelchair. I hope to track down every Lee, Cushing, and Karloff movie. So far I have not been disappointed. I saw The Curse of Frankestein which was awesome. I like how atmosphere and actual acting drives these flicks as opposed to today's moody teen-age crap. Also in the Horror of Dracula I dug how the carriage Dracula was riding in is actually being driven through the smallest of bridges and spaces at full speed!... fuck yeah.

Have you guys seen The Terror starring Karloff and a young Jack Nicholson? Although cheesy in some parts the movie is full of great scenes contemplated by the great dialogue and characters like the old witch setting spells by the shore giving the flick a nice touch. Karloff's assistant is also very well played.

I just saw Snake People starring Karloff and a host of characters straight out of a French colony in a Pacific tropical island. The plot revolves around the futile attempts of a French Lt. trying to clean up the island natives' voodoo practices.

I just got The Mummy and will see it tonight, hope it's good. I was watching The Satanic Rites of Dracula starring Cushing and Lee the other night on Elvira's show Movie Macabre but just couldn't watch it after she over did it with her usual interruptions and constant commercials. I'll just see it later in its entirety.

I don't know as much about Karloff as I would like to, I do need to fix that. In a lot of these films, Cushing and Lee reprised the same roles again and again, for example Cushing played Baron Frankenstein in every Frankenstein movie, while he played Van Helsing, or his descendents in the Dracula films, while Lee always played Dracula. Every film, bar the Mummy series ties in and there is a longer story that can only be told by watching all the films.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:08 am 

Terri, Karloff is just all kinds of creepy. I can imagine him giving out poisoned candy during Halloween to all the unsuspecting children.

I really dugged The Mummy. Lee had some awesome lines during his conjurations and the period costumes and props were cool. Watching Lee and Cushing made me wonder what the original Star Wars trilogy would have been like if Lee had played Darth Vader. Damn, that would have been sweet even though they were sci-fi. Also saw The Brides of Dracula which for some reason Lee does not star in. I guess his character could have worked instead of the other dude. It wouldn't have been too difficult explaining his mother's role and why she'd tied him up. Cushing once again was brilliant as well as the the actresses who played the Baroness and her sinister assistant. I really am amazed by all the props that give the films that authentic touch.

Wibble23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:51 am 

Shanks, starring Marcel Marceau. It's seriously weird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanks_(film)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 am 

Just watched Cujo the other night. Classic.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:19 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Just watched Cujo the other night. Classic.

Yeah, was gonna mention it too. That's one crazy flick. Don't think it would have any effect on me now but as a tyke I damn near wet my bed. Nah, I'd probably still leak all over myself.

Who could forget the Puppet Master series by Full Moon? Apparently there are 9 parts? I think I saw parts 1-4 and were getting progessively worst so I quit watching them. There was something about the first ones that managed to capture the Nazi Germany period well and the successive appearance of each sentient puppet to creat one carnivalesque nightmare. That one fem-puppet was sexy.

While I'm at it why not mention another Full Moon production, Subspecies. Again, the first one was the best IMHO. It was I think set in a real Trannsylvanian castle to achieve the right atmosphere with torches and barricades. Radu, the main character reminds me of Nosferatu with those long-ass fingers.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:46 pm 

Morbidhunger wrote:
I don't know how anyone could like the remake of Dawn of the Dead more than the original. The first time i saw Dawn of the Dead (1978) it had a heavy impact on me. This had the be the most powerful horror movie i had ever seen. There was so much commentary on the sick society we live in that rang so true. This film had me so invested in the story and characters and came away emotionally drained.

The remake is just a product of the society the original was pointing at. It seems to appeal mostly to all the brainless robots that think lady gaga and lil wayne are musical geniuses. To me it's nothing more than just another polished up crappy hollywood action movie. Had almost completely forgotten about it. But Dawn of the Dead (1978) is one that will stay with me forever.

And yet it is constantly cited as one of the best remakes in the horror (if not movies in general) genre. I understand where you are coming from, well really I don't. I suppose I am just used to it. In all of these threads you will eventually find a few of the oddballs who get all hung up on the "social commentary" with Romero movies and cling to it like it is law. It is a relevant part of his films but it does not make them completely. The original Dawn of the Dead was a great horror movie in its own right without the commentary and the remake is an even better horror movie in its own right for the "fun" element.

Everything does not have to have a message to be entertaining.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:33 pm 

I'm sort of a noob to actual underground horror. Since I was a little tike and my sister showed me Scream, I've liked horror, but have mostly been watching the Halloween, Friday the 13th, Child's Play, ect. series, and a bunch of Stephen King-based horror movies. I've been wanting to get more into old 80's cult horror.

From what I've seen of that, I've been enjoying films like The Burning, Dawn of the Dead, Silent Night Deadly Night (The second was bullshit, as half of it was just recapping the first one, but the weird and funny scenes later in the film sort of make up for it), and the originals of Black Christmas and Sorority Row.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next