Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 pm 

Alright chums, this is it. The time has come for us to gather 'round and venerate the epitomes of human culture, our musical masterpieces. It's been 48 days since the start of this challenge, so it's about damn time.

Before we start though, let's establish some criteria for our reviews so that those 48 days wouldn't be gone to waste with lazy 1 liners. Here are the 6 key things you should be commenting on, preferably in the same order. Feel free to assign scores out of 5 if you wish.

Lyrics ( /5 )
Song genre choice ( /5 )
Composition ( /5 )
Performance ( /5 )
Production ( /5 )
Overall ( /25 )

Also give us your overall thoughts and criticisms of the challenge as a whole.

Reviews by participants and non-participants alike are encouraged and welcome!

Download the all-in-1 bundle HERE.
Alternate link.
(Hosted by GeoCO3)

Here's the list of who got what with all the separate download links:

kingnuuuur (collabing with GeoCO3, vocals): Three-Headed Snake - Lyrics by Sadr_mordvig [Nihilism]. Song notes, modified lyrics.

bjornobomb: Dormant Choirs - Lyrics by Duisterling & Devirginizer [War & Genocide]. Song notes.

CorpseFister: The Ninth Ring - Lyrics by DecayingMyYouth & MoonPenatrator [Literature & Paintings]

ShaolinLambKiller: Drowning Sleep - Lyrics by SoulsInferno [Romance & Tragedies]. Song notes.

Duisterling & Devirginizer: Irrelevant - Lyrics by guitartheist [The Cosmos]. Song notes.

Sadr_mordvig & Menschenfeindlic: De Cryptikon - Lyrics by Det_Morkettall [Cryptic]. Song notes.

Arkhane: 2 Girls 1 Cup - Lyrics by LordOminous [Alcohol, Sex & Bitches]

Gelseth_Andrano: Years Have Passed - Lyrics by overkill666 [Post-Apocalypse]. Song notes.

SoulsInferno (collabing with DecayingMyYouth, vocals): The End of the Bronze Age - Lyrics by CorpseFister [METAL]. Song notes.

LordOminous: Cleansed in Blood - Lyrics by odinallfather [Rebellion & Revolution]

DecayingMyYouth & MoonPenatrator: Total Fucking Destruction - Lyrics by Bonged [Terrorism]. Song notes.

GeoCO3: I Am Despair - Lyrics by Arkhane [Loss & Bereavement]

NO-SHOWS

overkill666: Lord of the Sands - Lyrics by Gelseth_Andrano [Civilizations & Cultures]
Det_Morkettall: In Caesar's Likeness, and the Ensuing Controversy - Lyrics by ShaolinLambKiller [Corruption & Greed]
Bonged: Purgatory - Lyrics by nex666 & DemonofDarkness [Drugs]
nex666 & DemonofDarkness: Fins of the Apocalypse - Lyrics by bjornobomb [Eschatology]
guitartheist: Bokrug Watching - Lyrics by kingnuuuur [Lovecraft Mythos]
odinallfather (collabing with Gelseth_Andrano): An Eye for an Eye - Lyrics by GeoCO3 [Revenge]

And finally, an evil drawing by SoulsInferno.

I'll write mine later on, but in the meantime, REVIEWS AWAY! :np:

Last edited by kingnuuuur on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:06 am, edited 54 times in total.
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:17 pm 

Woo! Can't wait to hear it all. Reviews to come in the next few days.

But first off- much thanks kinguuur for organizing it all!

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:29 pm 

All I can say is...HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS. CorpseFister, you did a freaking awesome job with my lyrics.

Abandon all hope, ye who enters....HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Woo! Can't wait to hear it all. Reviews to come in the next few days.

But first off- much thanks kinguuur for organizing it all!

Thanks! :)

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:46 pm 

DecayingMyYouth wrote:
All I can say is...HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS. CorpseFister, you did a freaking awesome job with my lyrics.

Abandon all hope, ye who enters....HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!

thanks a lot! :) Although Ive been a musician for years, this was my first attempt at metal. I had been wanting to try doing some DSBM for a while though and the lyrics were just perfect for it. Some great stuff there too- the mood, the counting section (fucking great), the end - really inspired the direction of the song.

Anyway, gotta run to band practice but I've downloaded everyone's songs and I'm totally gonna slack off at work tomorrow and start writing reviews.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:54 pm 

So I have to download each goddamn thing separately? motherfuck. I just have to say that is fucking horrible.

Everything else during this competition was handled very well aside from this single part. I'll now get around to it whenever i get around to it.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:00 pm 

Haha, had no choice! I'll try to reupload everything as a folder again, for the 3rd time.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm 

I've got them all now, so if it fails again kinguuuur I can bundle them in a zip and up them to sendspace after practice.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 pm 

That would be awesome! I'm 1/4 way through the folder now, we'll see how it goes.

Relistening to my mix with less subjective ears, it now sounds way too thin. Damn you, mixing!

EDIT: I just received word from GeoCO3 saying that he provided me with the wrong vocals file. :\

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:58 pm 

oh if it's cause you couldn't do it all together then I can understand that. No prob. I'm uploading some tracks to bandcamp for one of my bands I recorded back in dec.

odinallfather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:16 pm 

sorry I'm a no-show... just bad luck from the start and we couldn't make the dead-line...
and a big sorry to GeoCO3...

anyways, I'm listening to LordOminous' song and I'm loving it, expecially the "ugh satan" thing, rofl...

THE WORLD HAS MOVED ON

GeoCO3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:18 pm 

** UPDATED **

All songs, lyrics, and song notes as they stand at 6:12 AM GMT on 4/28 in a single zip file...

http://www.mediafire.com/?afu06ivgzdzbbpa

Remember to download the Gelseth_Andrano song separately once it is uploaded.

Last edited by GeoCO3 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:25 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dying in laughter here at the "URG SATAN"! Awesome song bro.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:25 pm 

fucking awesome. thanks! i set up my shit to download it so I can go to sleep now.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:07 am 

Things were way too crazy for me to participate in this one, but I'm looking forward to listening to all of the tracks and doing some reviews for them, if you guys don't mind. I'm downloading it now but I probably won't get around to writing reviews until tomorrow at the earliest.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SoulsInferno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 am 

I'm going to finish reviewing these tomorrow... listened to them all and I definitely won't be deleting any of these.

It's evident my mixing skills are bad... no idea how you guys do it.

http://fidesinferno.bandcamp.com/

https://vacuusdoom.bandcamp.com/

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 am 

I hope my revised track will be downloaded. The old one was too poorly mastered and didn't have the right vocals.

Be posting it in a minute.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:29 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Things were way too crazy for me to participate in this one, but I'm looking forward to listening to all of the tracks and doing some reviews for them, if you guys don't mind.

Of course not, the more who want to listen and comment the better!

SoulsInferno wrote:
It's evident my mixing skills are bad... no idea how you guys do it.

The trick is to get big so other people do it for you ;) The actual song you wrote though slays, and has some killer riffs. It's a waaaay better song than I envisioned when I wrote the lyrics, haha.

Anyway, lots of good stuff on initial listening. I've got tons more to say, but I'll save it for a proper review!

kingnuuur - definitely. After the effort you put in organizing this I'd say its the least we could do.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:44 am 

It's up. Phew! I'm glad that's over with. Now let's see what other calamities are in stock for me today.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:10 am 

Sweet. For anyone who hasn't downloaded the songs yet, I'm just uploading a bundle with kingnuuuur's corrected version. If I'm still up in half an hour I'll post the link, otherwise it will be up when I get to work tomorrow in, oh, about 8 hours from the time of this post.

GeoCO3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:14 am 

CorpseFister - I've got a bundle already uploaded via Mediafire here..

http://www.mediafire.com/?afu06ivgzdzbbpa

Sorry to steal your thunder. Your song owns, by the way.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:23 am 

Cheers thanks man!

And steal away- as long as there is a bundle for people to d/l I'm satisfied. Although is that the same one as earlier? The one I'm uploading right now contains the new version kingnuuur just recently posted. Either way, time to hit the sack. I'll check back in the AM.

GeoCO3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 am 

Yes, the Metal Compilation 2.0.zip is the updated version and contains the new kingnuuuur song, so download away!

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:30 am 

god damnit! figures I'm at work. I'll Submit it as soooon as I get home from work at 3pm. i got the mediafire link all ready to go!

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:11 pm 

Is it possible to review stuff if I didn't partake in the challenge?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:14 pm 

Everyone can review, that's what the challenge is for.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:20 pm 

going to download and listen later... sorry (saturday evening)

pretty funny, that my lyrics (right, don't blame menschenfeindlic, i am in charge of 'em) were assigned to the host of challenge
- i had loled a little at his thoughts :D - they weren't written for black metal - i hadn't any music in mind (not radio friendly either)

their non-musicality is caused by the fact, that nor the theme itself, neither my poetry is very uplifting (and also that they've been written in foreign language) - but i am sorry for the trouble ;)

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:38 pm 

At least I managed to write a song for them and didn't cower out. :P But yeah, I had no idea that they were actually translated. Certainly they must be better written in the original language.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:09 pm 

Sadr_mordvig wrote:
going to download and listen later... sorry (saturday evening)

pretty funny, that my lyrics (right, don't blame menschenfeindlic, i am in charge of 'em) were assigned to the host of challenge
- i had loled a little at his thoughts :D - they weren't written for black metal - i hadn't any music in mind (not radio friendly either)

their non-musicality is caused by the fact, that nor the theme itself, neither my poetry is very uplifting (and also that they've been written in foreign language) - but i am sorry for the trouble ;)

I really preferred your lyrics to the revised ones, to be honest.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:15 pm 

So I've written about 2/3 of the reviews so far, and there are some fucking great songs here! I'm not sure if I'm going to assign number scores to the songs or not.

GeoCO3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:26 pm 

I think that I probably will be assigning numeric scores for the songs, but you're right that it's a pretty subjective exercise. With that said, I've found that by assigning numeric values to the different categories that kingnuuuur suggested I am able to see more clearly why I might enjoy one song more than another.

I also think numeric scores are more helpful to the reviewee. For example, one could read a signle person's review and compare the score the reviewer assigned their song in a particular category with scores the reviewer gave other songs in that same category. That should tell them if they are either lagging behind their peers, about average, or ahead of the curve in a given category according to a particular reviewer. Hopefully, by having many people reviewing the songs in this same manner, potential trends could arise and people could begin to get a better idea as to what the general opinion is of their song's (a) genre choice, (b) composition, (c) performance, and (d) production. This could be a very good learning tool.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 pm 

Right. Here we go, then (sorted as they appear in my playlist):

"2 Girls 1 Cup" (Lyrics: LordOminous, Theme: Alcohol, Sex & Bitches, Music: Arkhane)

Lyrics (3.5/5)
Truth to be told - the theme was quite dodgy and limited, and it is the main reason for the point deduction. I think LordOminous really did his best with the lyrics, and came up with some amusing and fitting stuff.

Song genre choice (2.5/5)
I'm truly ambivalent about this one - on one hand, the choice of a blackened death metal direction for a theme that screams "speed metal" isn't too fitting per se IMO (apart from the groovier clean parts), yet on the other hand - I can't not appreciate the surprise factor involved. So I went for a middle rating.

Composition (5/5)
A great way to set the tone for the entire challenge IMO. Absolutely love the drive of the song in it's groovier parts and the dark melodies of the extreme parts. Reminds me of Eternal Gray in their better days.

Performance (5/5)
Goes hand-in-hand with Composition to my taste. Although there weren't any bits I found to be overly complex (isn't a bad thing really), every aspect of the performance was highly competent (even the drum programming). Not to mention the growling, really classy work there mate.

Production (4/5)
The production was decent most of the time, although I'd really like the drums a little higher in the mix and the vocals a little lower. Also, I think you should have restrained the amounts of reverb on the vocals and the lead guitar due to the clipping it causes on certain segments of the songs.

Overall (20/25)
I don't know how the song would do in comparison to the other songs as far as tallies go (I write this thing on the spot), but there are only about 3 songs that really captivated me on this challenge, and this is one of them. Keep up the good work!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dormant Choirs" (Lyrics: Duisterling & Devirginizer, Theme: War & Genocide, Music: bjornobomb)

Lyrics (4/5)
Song genre choice (3/5)
Composition (0/5)
Performance (0/5)
Production (0/5)
Overall (7/25)
Don't quit your day job. Either there's a joke black cons don't get (because if it's meant to be annoying, then congrats! Job well done!), or the concepts of rhythm and musicality are completely alien to you. Nice work with ruining beyond repair a decent piece of lyrics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Ninth Ring" (Lyrics: DecayingMyYouth & MoonPenatrator, Theme: Literature & Paintings, Music: CorpseFister)

Lyrics (3.5/5)
I'll admit - I didn't read Dante's Inferno, therefore I can't really relate to the concept behind the lyrics. The lyrics themselves are well written though. As far as the performer goes - the little switch in verses (putting the "9-th ring" verse after the first 8) makes more sense than the original, so a good desicion there.

Song genre choice (5/5)
These lyrics could go with any of the more atmospheric genres really, but the chosen dramatic ambiance of DSBM fits the lyrics the best. Good call!

Composition (4/5)
Solid work there. The guitars, drums and the vocals are pretty standard to the genre (so any fans of DSBM should dig this one), yet the additional synth tinges (there's a chip-tune lead thing going on around the 03:30-04:00 marks if I'm not mistaken) are what made the song for me. Great atmosphere all throughout.

Performance (4/5)
Good work on capturing the key elements of the genre and encasing them in a single nifty song. Liked the spoken passages as well.

Production (4/5)
Again, pretty standard to the genre. Nothing to add here.

Overall (20.5/25)

"Total Fucking Destruction" (Lyrics: Bonged, Theme: Terrorism, Music: DecayingMyYouth & MoonPenatrator)

Lyrics (4/5)
I like it. It's a lot more well written and thought out than the rest of the lyrics dealing with the subject. Some of the rhymes sound a little stretched though (the line about "foreign cynicism" doesn't make a lot of sense, for example).

Song genre choice (4/5)
What genre is better to set lyrics about terrorism to, if not the good old thrash? Easy call. Maybe too easy...

Composition (3.5/5)
I hate thrash, but that isn't your fault, is it? I dig the sinister feel that goes there nevertheless. Some parts should have been ironed out though (the trade-offs between regular and triplet feels at 00:55 and 01:28 are a little too abrupt, just as the ending of the song).

Performance (3/5)
A solid performance that's constantly ruined by the atrocious off-rhythm, off-tune, off-anything bass playing. Vodals are particularily Shulinder-like, take what you want from that statement.

Production (4/5)
Did I mention the bass playing? It should have been buried deeper in the mix, to cover up on some of the sloppyness I think. The rest sounded great, and I've already docked you enough for the bass playing, so...

Overall (18.5/25)

"Irrelevant" (Lyrics: guitartheist, Theme: The Cosmos, Music: Duisterling & Devirginizer)

Lyrics (4/5)
Nice interpretation of the theme, man! Very thoughtful lyrics, and the miserable feel of one's negligibility in face of infinty was very well captured.

Song genre choice (5/5)
Atmospheric lyrics require an atmospheric genre to match, so basically if you went with either doom metal, black metal or ambient that would be fine, however - you've managed to combine all three in a very spectacular way, and for that I salute you.

Composition (4/5)
I liked the string parts, they were a good contribution to the spatial feel of the song. They sounded a lot like something Venetian Snares would write. The rest of the song was great too, although a little generic.

Performance (5/5)
What you two have set to accomplish in your composition was conveyed very well through the performance. Some minor slips do exist, but nothing worth mentioning really.

Production (3.5/5)
The sound of the strings is awesome. The rest is a little bit too "tiny" and black-metallish, in a way that fits the genres you were playing, but not the atmosphere of the lyrics.
Overall (21.5/25)

"I Am Despair" (Lyrics: Arkhane, Theme: Loss & Bereavement, Music: GeoCO3)

Lyrics (2.5/5)
The lyrics are fine, really, but compared to the rest of the submissions they feel a little uninspired.

Song genre choice (2/5)
I think it's just me, but I think that these lyrics really needed their hidden darkness to be brought forward and elaborated upon - maybe in a more doomish tune, maybe in something along the lines of Vortex by Thorns. The choice of a metalcorish direction, on the other hand, made them feel a little "teen-angstish" in context. The direction fits the lyrics in a certain way, sure, just not my favorite of ways...

Composition (4/5)
Good work there. It tends to get repetitive, yet you've still managed to cram enough twists and add ons in the almost 7 minutes of the song to let this fact pass unnoticed and maintain interest throughout.

Performance (5/5)
You've nailed whatever you've set to do in a very efficient way. And should I mention the vocals..?

Production (3/5)
Yeah, I probably should. Stop. Processing. Your. Clean. Vocals. They're awesome! So is your growling, so why put it so low in the mix? Other than that, the instrumentals are all clear enough, and I've managed to hear whatever you've tried to deliver, yet the guitar tone is a little too fuzzy to my taste. And EZDrummer sucks, but it isn't your fault.

Overall (16.5/25)
Don't let this number fool you though, I like this song a lot.

This one gets awfully long, isn't it? I'll continue in a separate message.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Last edited by yentass on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 pm 

http://www.mediafire.com/?87o6j2tces7npo9

Ok, does this work???

Ok, fixed, this should work!

http://www.mediafire.com/?pb34j0br0wtj4l5
Ok, here's the dossier as well.

Last edited by Gelseth_Andrano on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:29 pm 

"Dormant Choirs" (Lyrics: Duisterling & Devirginizer, Theme: War & Genocide, Music: bjornobomb)

Lyrics (4/5) I thought the lyrics were pretty neat, goo imagery at hand
Song genre choice (4/5) Pretty good genre choice, seems to fit the lyrics very well
Composition (2/5) it seemed you knew what you were going for, but I sure didn't
Performance (2/5) You can play, but...idk, maybe it's beyond me?
Production (1/5) You did probably better than I could at home
Overall (13/25)

I'm not into the genre, but hey, it sound like like that type of black metal, so hey, good job there!
-------+-------+--------------------+++--------------------++++++-----------------------------

"Irrelevant" (Lyrics: Guitarthiest, Theme: The Cosmos, Music, Duisterling & Devirginizer

Lyrics (4/5) Definitely digging these lyrics. SO awesome. Just the images they invoke are amazing, good job on these.
Song Genre Choice(5/5) Holy Damn, guys, perfect type of music for these lyrics.
Composition (5/5) Composition of this song was damn brilliant. perfection.
Performance (5/5) Thes orchestral bits were astounding. What an ear for music. Guitars, vocals, everything sounded just like it should have.
Production (2.5/5) A little rough, but it worked for the song
Overall (21.5/25)

Wow, guys, just breathtaking track right here. It messed with my head in a good way! You guys should seriously think of collabing on music outside of the contest for sure.
---------=------------+--------------------+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=___+===_==================-----

"Cleansed In Blood" (Lyrics: Odin Allfather, Theme: Rebellion & Revolution, Music, LordOminous

Lyrics (5/5) Awesome lyrics, again, great imagery for sure.
Song Genre Choice (4/5) At first I was thinking the song didn't work at all, then as I listened more, I got. it. Fucking awesome
Composition (5/5) Hell yeah!
Performance {4/5} A few tiny rough patches, but otherwise, damn, excellent.
Production (4/5) The guitar man, The guitar! harshness! Otherwise great!
Overall (20/25) UUUUURRGH SATAN!

Holy shitballs, this song was amazing. Everything was crazy awesome. Gooood work man.

Alrighty, that's i for me for now! I'm spent

And sorry for stealing your review structure (at least it gets a (5/5)

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:21 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
You guys should seriously think of collabing on music outside of the contest for sure.

We already do for quite some time, no worries there ;) If you like this, there's some upcoming work that you'll probably dig as well. Some of it will have different vocals, though, but on the other hand, the production will beat this one.

Thanks for the kind words!

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:44 pm 

Duisterling wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
You guys should seriously think of collabing on music outside of the contest for sure.

We already do for quite some time, no worries there ;) If you like this, there's some upcoming work that you'll probably dig as well. Some of it will have different vocals, though, but on the other hand, the production will beat this one.

Thanks for the kind words!

Awesome, keep my posted through PMs or whatnot on your further projects

Last edited by Gelseth_Andrano on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:53 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Awesome, keep my posted through PMs or whatnot on you further projects

Will do!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm 

Fuck, my review is getting loooooong. Still, lots of good stuff so it's worth it. Probably won't finish tonight, but hopefully tomorrow.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm 

Take your time. The more detailed and elaborate the review, the better.

SoulsInferno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 pm 

My distasteful review:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arkhane: 2 Girls 1 Cup - Lyrics by LordOminous [Alcohol, Sex & Bitches].

Lyrics ( 5/5 ) This song made my day, I think the lyrics are hilarious.
Song genre choice ( 5/5 ) Blackened traditional heavy metal. I think rap metal would have fit the lyrics better, but
since I hate that genre, this was much better.
Composition ( 4/5 ) Somehow all the instruments seem to be playing their own genre, drums are traditional heavy metal,
guitar is black metal, bass is like, reggae or country... it worked though.
Performance ( 3/5 ) Some of the transitions were staggering, but otherwise the parts were done well.
Production ( 4/5 ) Let's just have it clear that I don't know much about production, but this sounded good to me.

Overall ( 21/25 )
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

bjornobomb: Dormant Choirs - Lyrics by Duisterling & Devirginizer [War & Genocide].

Lyrics ( 3/5 ) I was really wondering how anyone was going to write to this, it's not bad, I just had a hard time
forming an idea in my head about it when I first read them.
Song genre choice ( 4/5 ) Definitely fit. Non-conventional lyrics required some interesting structure choices which made
this kind of blackened thrash metal style great for it.
Composition ( 2/5 ) Riffs were kind of all over the place, and nothing seemed to connect.
Performance ( 2/5 ) I pretty much only enjoyed the vocals and thought they were done well given the lyrics and how
poorly everything else was done.
Production ( 3/5 ) That solo part fucks with my head almost inducing a headache, but that just makes it flow with the
pattern already set up that I also can't imagine the song NOT having such bad production on it.

Overall ( 14/25 )

CorpseFister: The Ninth Ring - Lyrics by DecayingMyYouth & MoonPenatrator [Literature & Paintings].

Lyrics ( 4/5 ) These are some good lyrics, I like that there is some rhyming even though there's no real pattern for how
it goes.
Song genre choice ( 5/5 ) Ambient black. Couldn't have figured out a better choice.
Composition ( 4/5 ) This song is going somewhere, airy and peaceful as far as the instrumentals go. I like the pace lot.
Nintendo-ish parts will have to grow on me, some of it reminded me of donkey kong themes... however vaguely I remember
stuff like that.
Performance ( 5/5 ) My favorite vocal style. Everything else was too simple to fuck up, to be honest.
Production ( 4/5 ) No complaints, not sure what else to say about it.

Overall ( 22/25 )

DecayingMyYouth & MoonPenatrator: Total Fucking Destruction - Lyrics by Bonged [Terrorism].

Lyrics ( 2/5 ) For someone complaining about the lyrics he received, I did not like his lyrics much at all.
Song genre choice ( 2/5 ) Thrash isn't my favorite, and I think it was a bit fast for the pace of the lyrics... if you
know what I mean.
Composition ( 3/5 ) It kind of degenerated, started out really well and ended a little sour to me.
Performance ( 4/5 ) It was good enough, the solo wasn't bad at all.
Production ( 4/5 ) Sounds fine to me.

Overall ( 15/25 )

Duisterling & Devirginizer: Irrelevant - Lyrics by guitartheist [The Cosmos].

Lyrics ( 5/5 ) Concise, not over saturated with blind attempts at being impressive with unusual words.
Song genre choice ( 5/5 ) Good choice, death doom metal transitioning into black couldn't have fit better.
Composition ( 5/5 ) God I love the intro. It was a perfect lead into the verses that follow. Definitely feels like
space.
Performance ( 4/5 ) Fell off a bit at the faster BM part. But the programming was well done, and everything was done
well for the most part.
Production ( 4/5 ) Good job at getting it to sound like the theme, other than that, no idea what else to add.

Overall ( 23/25 )

Gelseth_Andrano: Years Have Passed - Lyrics by overkill666 [Post-Apocalypse].

Lyrics ( 2/5 ) Pretty stock lyrics from my point of view.
Song genre choice ( 5/5 ) Made good judgment on the genre, even though I don't like it much.
Composition ( 3/5 ) Nothing really stood out, I mean the solo is good, the riffs are generic, have to say the vocal
style fit really well though.
Performance ( 5/5 ) Great job on recording it all.
Production ( 4/5 ) Yet again I'm at a loss over what to say about production.

Overall ( 19/25 )

GeoCO3: I Am Despair - Lyrics by Arkhane [Loss & Bereavement].

Lyrics ( 3/5 ) Eh, I can't say I like them much, and it's not because of the theme, it just doesn't really bring much
originality.
Song genre choice ( 5/5 ) Exactly the way it should sound.
Composition ( 5/5 ) Lots of variation, the calm parts add to the theme and make it more evident.
Performance ( 5/5 ) Good job on vocals and guitar.
Production ( 3/5 ) Drums were too obviously programmed, I think they need some fooling around done on them to hide the
fact that you're using EZdrummer, haha.

Overall ( 21/25 )

kingnuuuur (collabing with GeoCO3, vocals): Three-Headed Snake - Lyrics by Sadr_mordvig & Menschenfeindlic [Nihilism].

Lyrics ( 3/5 ): Very hard rock-ish, as soon as it got to "grab yourself a beer" I was thinking kingnuuuur couldn't have
made a better genre decision.
Song genre choice (5/5 ): Other than the outro being a little doom-ish, it was a perfect choice.
Composition ( 4/5 ): For the style, it wasn't unnecessarily technical or boring, some of the parts weren't as cohesive
as I would like, but it still was well written for the lyrics given.
Performance ( 4/5 ): Vocals, guitar, bass, drums, all done well. Were the drums recorded or programmed?
Production ( 5/5 ): Everything is pretty sharp. Bass is audible, must be a sign that you can edit shit properly.

Overall ( 21/25 )

LordOminous: Cleansed in Blood - Lyrics by odinallfather [Rebellion & Revolution].

Lyrics ( 4/5 ) I like that they're very minimalist.
Song genre choice ( 3/5 ) Well... it would have fit the lyrics better if it didn't sound so happy. Looks more like a
doom metal song to me, but I still like how it came out.
Composition ( 5/5 ) And another nintendo part like CorpseFister... heh I'll get over it because the rest was really good
sounding apart from it not seeming to go with the lyrics.
Performance ( 5/5 )
Production ( 4/5 ) Drums were a little too obviously programmed, not any better than GeoCO3s programming. Everything
else sounded fine. I enjoyed it a lot.

Overall ( 21/25 )

Sadr_mordvig & Menschenfeindlic: De Cryptikon - Lyrics by Det_Morkettall [Cryptic].

Lyrics ( 1/5 ) Still trying to figure out the connection to the theme, and besides that, I just don't like them.
Song genre choice ( 2/5 ) Should have gone with something within the egyptian scale.
Composition ( 3/5 ) I have to say, I still kind of like this song, but I have to be honest, the best part of the song is
the way it's written.
Performance ( 3/5 ) Harsh vocals are good, the rest were terrible. Instrumentation is good enough.
Production ( 3/5 ) Well it's not actually that bad, sounds decent except for the vocals.

Overall ( 12/25 )

ShaolinLambKiller: Drowning Sleep - Lyrics by SoulsInferno [Romance & Tragedies].

Lyrics ( 5/5 ) Well they are mine, I have to give it full credit for that. I also like what Shaolin said about it in his
notes. I was actually expecting the person getting it to go with a gothic theme.
Song genre choice ( 5/5 ) Sunn worship. Fuck. Yes.
Composition ( 4/5 ) Way longer than I was expecting it to take, and could have had a bit more variation.
Performance ( 5/5 ) Should I really say that this is probably the best produced and performed song on here? Maybe I just
like Shaolin too much because I've already worked with him on another doom project before, which we need to finsih.
Production ( 5/5 ) Besides the fact that this guy literally shits, eats, breathes, and fucks music, he also does it
extremely well. Guitar tone was so tasty.

Overall ( 24/25 )

TL;DR version:

2 Girls 1 Cup (21/25)
Dormant Choirs (14/25)
The Ninth Ring (22/25)
Total Fucking Destruction (15/25)
Irrelevant (23/25)
Years Have Passed (19/25)
I Am Despair (21/25)
Three-Headed Snake (21/25)
Cleansed in Blood (21/25)
De Cryptikon (12/25)