Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:15 am 

What's your take on this band? They seem to be pretty popular in the metal realm because of their dark atmosphere and the likes. They are one of my favorite bands and are just the perfect music for a rainy night.

What do you think about this band? Here's a song, in case you don't know them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zkN74s72M

And to those who are already fans of this band, the band have announced a new release! Two new songs and a cover of Warlock's "Catch My Heart", 37 minutes! You can read about it on their official website: http://www.bohrenundderclubofgore.de/html/index.html
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:51 am 

I dig "Black Earth".

For some reason I don't find myself listening to them all that much, though.

Which release should I explore next?

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:47 am 

hmm, not bad, but from the name I was expecting some cheesy EBM, not some mellow jazz.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am 

KosherCarnage wrote:
I dig "Black Earth".

For some reason I don't find myself listening to them all that much, though.

Which release should I explore next?

I'd say Sunset Mission, their second best album imo, Black Earth being my favorite.

Last.fm

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:31 am 

dont know them well but what ive heard was good

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:21 pm 

Great band. Everything from Midnight Radio to Dolores has been pretty damn good, especially the latter, Black Earth and Sunset Mission. Sucks I missed out on the chance to see them live here in San Francisco when they came through about a year ago, though without seating of any kind it might've been a rather tedious experience :). It's wonderful how they sort of straddle drone and a kind of bleak noir atmosphere, blending the two perspectives into their own unique art. Instantly recognizable and highly memorable stuff, and surprisingly emotional at times, as well. Three thumbs up!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 pm 

Good band, I really like Black Earth. Jared goes to Morgan is my favorite song. The jazz/ambient thing is really cool.

~Guest 69485
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 pm 

I love Bohren and I think everything they've put out is excellent. Sunset Mission is my personal favorite because I really like the prominence of the saxophone and I wish they'd utilize it more.
I'm also a huge fan of The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble and The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, which are two projects that are in a roughly similar vein as Bohren and definitely something that fans of Bohren should check out.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:42 pm 

They are excellent. I will have to look into them more to truly understand them but Black Earth is a real hit with me. I'll definitely check out the new album too.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:21 am 

Great band. I listen to them a lot when I'm up late at night painting.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 am 

Umbersun wrote:
I love Bohren and I think everything they've put out is excellent. Sunset Mission is my personal favorite because I really like the prominence of the saxophone and I wish they'd utilize it more.
I'm also a huge fan of The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble and The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, which are two projects that are in a roughly similar vein as Bohren and definitely something that fans of Bohren should check out.

Have you heard the new albums from those bands you mentioned? And if yes, are they any good? I checked out a few of the new TKDE songs and I didn't really like it, the female vocals kinda put me off.

Last.fm

~Guest 69485
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Umbersun wrote:

Have you heard the new albums from those bands you mentioned? And if yes, are they any good? I checked out a few of the new TKDE songs and I didn't really like it, the female vocals kinda put me off.

I haven't heard the new Mount Fuji Doomjazz album, but I did like the few tracks from the new TKDE I heard. It sounds less active and driven by beats than the previous material and I get the impression that the songs are all somewhat unique in comparison to one another since the album is meant to flow in a cinematic fashion, portraying a sort of soundtrack to a silent film (according to the whole approach of their style anyway).
I can understand if the female vocals put you off though. They use them in a sort of Trip-Hop/Portishead way and at the least they aren't featured in every song. They started using them after their debut, so you may want to give their self-titled album a chance, which didn't have any vocals at all. The thing with TKDE is that they have that electronic/experimental element that can be a turn-off for some and they aren't as bleak and consistently dark like Bohren, but they're definitely dark, jazzy and very soundtrack-like. They remind me a lot of later Ulver, Perdition City and the Silence... EP's especially.
Mount Fuji Doomjazz might be more up your alley. It's TKDE's improv project and it's definitely closer to Bohren; much more droney and dark. Succubus is a great one worth checking out.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:52 am 

I've already heard the self-titled album by TKDE and I quite liked it. I never really got into TMFDC, but yesterday I listened to the new album Anthropomorphic and I was completely mindfucked, so I'll have to check out more stuff by both bands it seems.

Last.fm

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:17 pm 

This seems to be one of those bands that's not metal but is exclusively listened to by metalheads.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:34 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
This seems to be one of those bands that's not metal but is exclusively listened to by metalheads.

Actually they were introduced to me by a friend who's inability to relate to metal borders on fear... what some on this board might call a "hipster faggot." So I guess there's at least a bit of appealing-outside-the-box going on with Bohren. I wouldn't be surprised to discover they had a pretty broad appeal among goths and experimental music heads, as well as post-rock fans.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 pm 

They are 100% not metal if you ask me, but i've still been into em for quite a few years. I haven't really heard anything like them ever, but i really quite enjoy the odd listen to this band. I used to put em on at work occasionally last year, but the pleb customers in that place didn't get it. Morons. Haven't heard too many people besides some initial irl friends that actually listen to this group.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:04 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
SharpAndSlender wrote:

Actually they were introduced to me by a friend who's inability to relate to metal borders on fear... what some on this board might call a "hipster faggot." So I guess there's at least a bit of appealing-outside-the-box going on with Bohren. I wouldn't be surprised to discover they had a pretty broad appeal among goths and experimental music heads, as well as post-rock fans.

Weird, for some reason I think I've exclusively heard of them from metalheads. I'm trying to figure out what their 'real' fanbase should be though and I'm drawing a blank.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Korpserotter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm 

One member has a "real" Jazz music background, the others used to play Hardcore/Metal before shaping the Bohren sound (donĀ“t ask me who is who).

I saw them for the release of Black Earth in Hamburg, one of them was wearing a Marduk shirt under his back zip sweater.

Zymetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:15 pm 

Doom Jazz

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm 

Korpserotter wrote:
I saw them for the release of Black Earth in Hamburg, one of them was wearing a Marduk shirt under his back zip sweater.

How were they live? I'll be seeing them in April and I'm excited as fuck!

Last.fm

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 am 

I like their music (first albums) and would LOVE the see them live.

New video and album:

Quote:
Dear friends of eventful videos -
BOHREN and Mark Sikora are glade and proud to announce a new video "Der Angler'.
It's about an angler, his net, his boat and of course about fishes.
Accompanying to this wonderful incident we're proud to present you our new release called 'BOHREN FOR BEGINNERS' - a double CD/digital.
It's a perfect gateway drug in the BOHREN-Universe and veritable treasure trove for fans - BOHREN-Hits , as well as Rares , newly mixed and a completely new song.
For those who have always and for everyone who wanted to never hear the Music of BOHREN.
Video Credits:
Concept & Design: Mark Sikora
Film Editing by Nicole Schmeier

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:11 pm 

That's some serious necromancy, Basqo! :P

But B&DCOG is pretty cool. I enjoy "Black Earth" for the sombre rainy day jazz club vibe and "Sunset Mission" for the sombre rainy day film noire vibe.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:44 pm 

Literally cannot get enough of this band. I don't think a week goes by where I don't listen to them for at least a few minutes.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:33 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
That's some serious necromancy, Basqo! :P

I know, I know. I was going to open a new thread but found this. My bad. :P

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 am 

I love Gore Motel and Midnight Radio, the albums after that are fine, but losing their guitarist was a huge expense to their sound imho.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:49 am 

I did go to see them and it was great. Really cool atmosphere, with them each playing below a lightbulb. Not a lot of crowd interaction since their English was really broken haha. Great show, would have been cool if they'd brought a drummer though.

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 am 

Always loved these guys. Sunset Mission is a top 5 albums of all time candidate for sure. It gives me such powerful mental imagery.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:14 pm 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see these guys mentioned here. :) I really love their sound. First thing I heard from them was Black Earth a little less than a year ago and I was blown away. Normally I'm not a huge fan of ridiculously slow tempos, but the way they do it is so tantalizing and entrancing.

Z0MBIE wrote:
I did go to see them and it was great. Really cool atmosphere, with them each playing below a lightbulb. Not a lot of crowd interaction since their English was really broken haha. Great show, would have been cool if they'd brought a drummer though.

So the drummer doesn't play live with them? Odd since they have percussion in pretty much every song.

Reply to topic