Menschenfeindlic
MoonPenatrator
Nightwisher1990
odinallfather
overkill666
ShaolinLambKiller

Download here at mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?2it2ektg48dlyyc

Download here at filedropper: http://www.filedropper.com/metalcomp3

Here are my reviews, I forgot about the 1-10 on how I enjoyed it. I don't know give everyone a 6 cause I hate rating shit anyway. or give everyone a 1 shit ain't that much of a difference I did do a review at the least.

bjornobomb= Atomic Powerslam: the Robbed One- I like the idea of where this song was going. I actually think the drumming needs to be faster and off the chain... like that loose not give a real fuck about timing to match the riffing. I like the off the wall solos, i think they would've been so much cooler with some old vintage treatment like with some reverb and and shit like straight out of 80's shred stuff. can't say I like the guitar tone, maybe if it was doubled up with some bass i wouldn't be able to tell it's a single guitar track running through it. vocals are spot on for this style though they are kinda just sitting on top of the mix instead of intergrated more.

DecayingMyYouth= Damnum Animu: The Last of My Kind- I like the overall flow of the track and the tones of the stringed instruments. I could almost go without the drums or at least the kick, it's so low in the mix it kinda just sounds like a click track more than actual drums going along with song. the rest of the kit sounds good where they are at. This reminds me of like a movie where there is a march off to some epic war or something then following this I would hope for some blazing blasting blackened hate. i like the soloed out violin towards the end, was a nice touch.

DemonofDarkness= Innzmouth: Beneath the Darksome Waters- I like the song, but more picky with the production i guess... more so cause when i clicked to play i saw it was doom with a 8min long length. I think i just expected the very first riff to crush my head in after the intro which was very nice. the guitar is rather quiet for my taste. I like that it's melodic it almost reminded me of katatonia like brave murder day era. which is always a great place to sit with me. It also reminds me of the theme going through that movie 28days later that they revist a bit I can't remember who composed it though but at points in the song I'm reminded of it. really like that bass solo at the 7min mark. Really like the song but damn if it was louder ingeneral I'd love it. I had it cranked on my headphones and computer and just didn't seem enough.

Grimmig and iamntbatman= Salvo Tsushima- Goddamn this is fucking awesome. Probably my fav out of all the tracks cause of how nasty and disgusting it sounds. Def reminds me of Coffins, The Arm and Sword of a Bastard God.. the only thing I really don't care for is the doubled shouted higher vocals around 1:30. Just don't like them, maybe if they were mixed down more into the mix and not as upfront. they actually hurt my ears. I much prefer the deeper grunts through out. And that first break thing around 3min could've been tightened a bit. Hell I think it could've gone for another couple of minutes easily just seems like it just stops.

guitartheist= Valentine- I'm digging the tone of the guitar and I think everything is mixed very well. the opening reminded me of something like early machinehead. actually the entire song kinda has that vibe. I the vocals are kinda odd in the early part of the song but i like it more after the min mark. I can also see a early meshuggah influence creeping in a bit. overall it's a pretty well composed piece it feels like it could've been another min or two to be more impactful, this is almost like a teaser.

Killedbyaforklift= tsavo- This reminds me a bit of nwobhm type of stuff, like if the drums were more natural sounding and pushed back some. Totally can see some guy in tight leather singing over this stuff. the guitars could come up some more as well... or I guess like i said earlier lower drums. guess that's about all. get someone to sing over this shit. and the solo part kinda reminded me something roadsaw would do. not a bad thing either.

kingnuuuur= Doomguy Enters a Base Full of Baddies (part I) Well it totally sounds just like what the title describes it as. Maybe with a little mission impossible in there as well. Short and sweet. perfect length for something like this.

Lorde= Chaos: Alone- that acoustic-esc intro def didn't let me know what I was about to listen to. I really like the track as a composition. I just would love to hear it with real instruments. I can't shake playing nintindo. and with the natural vocals laid over it it just makes me think oddly of it. I almost wished you did some vo-coder on it and made your vocals more robotic sounding to match. I'm not sure what else to say. it's very well composed and like I said I'd love to hear it with real instruments playing everything cause that would bring me to appreciate it much more. def didn't feel like it was as long as it was.

mattp= Space Vikings: Be A Viking- Now this is pretty awesome not what I expected based on the last thing I had heard from you. I'm not a big fan of the choir populating most of the track. They tend to drown the fuck out of
everything else at times. But the riffs i do dig from what I do hear. i like the vocals that nice raw open shouting, very fitting for this style. I'd like this much more if the choir/keys took more of a backseat to the rest of the instruments or even taken out completely. i'd like more bite to the guitars as well. they kinda sound too clean for me for this style.

Menschenfeindlic= Ahmad: Adrift in an inner tempest- Hell yea cut straight to the chase no intro nothing just start rolling through. i'm glad the guitars are double tracked. it just makes everything have that fuller sound. I would like the drums just up slightly more. the odd synth at 1:15 is a nice touch not quite what I expected to hear and the following riff that's damn tasty chunk. the endish part at 2:40 with the chunk matching the kick I think could've been tightened up and left to ring out so it's not as abruptly ending to the choir and spoken word. I really like the open ended feel to the song,
where whatever you felt should come next you just went with instead of forcing it into a typical verse chorus structure. and the lead around 4min... fuck yea love it.

MoonPenatrator= Destructive Dreams: Far From Home- I dug the track but when it first started I almost thought it was Nada Surf. Actually overall it made me think of that kinda grungy alternative sound throughout. I think the drums were actually a bit too loud. it seemed like something was wanting to bottom out while listening to it.

Nightwisher1990= Ecliptic Dawn: Of Lust and Sins- This is more along the lines where I like my symphonics in my songs. more so under the rest of the music since what I want to hear is the guitars and drums. I like the kinda lurching approach to the tempo and all. reminds me of a local band around here called Shakespear in Hell. Similar kind of sound/approach. I'm not really digging the clean vocals at the 2 min mark. I think more so where they are actually sitting in the mix. it just sounds very odd to me. I also personally like the monotone growling throughout the track cause it cements it a bit more with the bouncy tunes and melodies bouncing overhead. I didn't notice any peaking/ other shit you were having problems with earlier you were speaking about in the thread. so that's good. really like the solo, that
could've been pushed up just a degree maybe some reverb on it. I'm a reverb junkie on solos for whatever reason.

odinallfather = End of All- kinda reminds me of Earth on their Hex album sans the vocals. Then it goes into weirdo almost acoustic electronic. It also reminds me of the Book of Knots how the guitar sounds where it is off or out of tune but on purpose. Well that was odd to say the least.

overkill666=Death Inquisition: Proliferation Okay keeping in mind there are supposed to be some drums and vocals, this ain't bad for what it is. I like the sludgy part around the min part. I know it's a practice scratch so I'm not going to nit pick the parts that need a bit of slop taken out. it'll be a cool song once it's done.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:49 pm 

some info. that I just took from what one posted suggested for the song information:

Inspiration: it'll be very apparent once you start listening to the tracks, but what really drove me to do that was getting the boss HM-2 pedal. so this was a perfect reason to use it.

what the lyrics are about- motherfucker I knew I forgot something in my fucking zip. I didn't put in the fucking lyrics cause I forgot to type them up. I'll have to do that tonight and add it up here if anyone gives a shit and wants to know what I'm saying.

what gear you used:
for guitars late 90's bronze series warlock & a mid 90's Doraldo single coil.
for bass mid 80's Fender jazz bass
all is tuned to G standard
ampeg ss150, krank krankenstien cab, boss HM-2 (gear for guitar)
ampeg pro 4, Ampeg 8x10, Big Muff Pi the original green russian made one (gear for bass)
all played and show volume. so loud as fuck.
drums: tama 7 piece with varity of zildjin, sabian, meinl
Shure drum kit mics & shure 57 for guitars, bass, & vocals

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:13 pm 

Last edited by kingnuuuur on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killedbyaforklift
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 pm 

Rather than do a 1-10 rating I've just listened to all the tracks and wrote down my thoughts as I went, different likes and dislikes I had about them as well as overall feelings. The variety here was pretty astounding.

Bjornobomb- Liked the vocals a lot, and some of that riffing is pretty wild. Felt the drums were a bit weak in comparison to the guitar but otherwise good. The solos were a little off the wall, not really my favorite style but well done. It sounded a bit trebley, perhaps add in a bit more bass? Overall a very chaotic and thrashy song.

Demonofdarkness- I liked a lot of things about this track, the synths, the guitar, the melody. The vocals were very fitting for it and I assume the lyrical content was inspired by Lovecraft? Very well composed and good melodic doomy song. I'm not a fan of most songs over 6 minutes but in this case it added something to the track. The only thing I didn't like too much in it was the use of the toms on the drums.

DecayingMyYouth- The drums should really come up some, they sound very quiet and underpowered. I really dig the violin here and the synth. It drags near the end, but it's a really atmospheric and cool piece. Feels very movie soundtrack-esque or like it could be integrated into some wicked folk metal.

Grimmig/Iamntbatman- I was lucky enough to hear this one before the challenge even finished and I was really impressed by it. The death vocals were well done (you've come a long way since the time you've started Grimmig) and the guitar tone was crushing, but the bass felt buried. The riffing starts to drag on near the end but I enjoyed the tremolo bits, and a big plus here is the lyrics, love Russian history.

Guitartheist- Just like the above song, very nice guitar tone, heavy and crushing. The riff right around 1:30 really sounds awesome and the death vocals were great but the cleans seem a bit out of place. It's a bit short and feels like you could have kept some of the riffs in this song up a bit more and added another minute, but even as is it's awesome.

Kinguuuur- Just like the name implies, this sounds like it's coming fucking straight out of the original Doom and is just wild sounding. If you can get this done with some real instruments and looped, it would fit like perfect in a game. The sound effects at the end really add to it.

Lorde- Liked the acoustic intro quite a bit, although it's totally a switch up between that and the rest. Feels like I'm listening to Contra or Castlevania with death growls and I love it. Would like to see the lyrics for it at some point. It's chaotic and the solos are quite good. It feels a bit long though.

Mattp- Was pleasantly surprised by this one, I've listened to some of your other recordings and your tone usually isn't my thing but I like it here. I like your vocals over the choirs. Musically this reminds me a lot of something Catamenia would do and I enjoy it.

Menschenfeindlic- Black, black and more black. I really dig the production here. I liked the riffing here and the spoken passage was good addition. A solid track and I can't really find too much negative in it, except perhaps the lyrics.

MoonPenetrator- Almost relaxing sounding and I liked the drums here but something near the ends seems to be clipping a bit. I liked the synth in this too over the drums and like ShaolinLambKiller said, it's got a grungey vibe to it.

Nightwisher1990- The synths here were interesting and I liked the guitar but I felt it should come up in the mix some. The growls seem overly bassy and gurgley but the cleans vocals were well implemented though. This reminds me of old Silentium quite a bit. I think this song would benefit a lot from a little bit of violin orchestration.

Odinalfather- This one was trippy to listen to. I feel like it would have short circuited my brain if I was listening on LSD. The dissonant acoustics here strange to listen to and almost kind of hypnotic. The drums feel out of place though, even as low in the mix as they are.

Overkill666/MercyfulKing- I feel like this track suffered the same problem mine did, namely, it's half done. Sticking some drums and vocals on this would probably sound kick ass. The riffs here are good and well, and I'd like to hear it with full instrumentation.

ShaolinLambKiller- Rather than review all 6 tracks seperately I'll condense this into an overall impression from the EP itself. The bass tone here is killer, and your drumming is very well done. The guitar tone was very fuzzy and blended well with the bass. I'm not big on the vocals but, these seem to have the same issue as Nightwisher1990's in that they're very bassy. Every track starting with feedback was an odd choice for an intro, perhaps on one or two tracks but it feels overused like this. Blood & Hammers had my favorite riffing in it. This was obviously a big accomplishment to write and record 6 tracks in only 28 days.

A little bit about my own track- I had orignially planned to do vocals for Tsavo but my interface overheated and died on me just before I managed. Then it was agreed Grimmig would throw some down but he got ill and well, the deadline hit and it's an instrumental for now. We'll probably throw up a much more polished version here later on. Musically I wrote trying to go for a traditional heavy metal/punk inspired sloppy and fast paced track. The lyrics/inspiration here were about the man-eaters of Tsavo, two lions who ate about 30 men and a killed probably a hundred others in Tsavo, Kenya during a railroad construction. There's a movie on it, "The Ghost And The Darkness", I highly reccomend it.

The lyrics I had, for anyone interested:

Dual roars in the night
four shining eyes in the black
their only light
smoke billows across the tracks
men run in fear
ready for the attack

Man eaters of tsavo
fearing the ghost deep in the night
Man eaters of tsavo
darkness now swallows the light

the hunter arrives
rifle in hand
fires scream and blaze
blood drips from their jaws
from the foggy haze
dual roars in the night
and man is safe as dawn brings light

Gear:
ESP F-254 bass through a sansamp BDDI
Cheapo Sharkfin V copy guitar from SX through the BDDI and some various plugins I've seen mattp suggest
EZDrummer drumkit from hell drum machine

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 pm 

bjornobomb – Definitely agree that the guitars could be a bit more beefier. Some cool riffs here, but with layered guitars and a bass track they’d be even cooler. Vocals sound pretty old school though, raw and I like them.

DecayingMyYouth – Ultra atmospheric! I like this a lot, really beautiful, really simple yet effective. Wish the drums were a tad more prominent, though.

DemonOfDarkness – The intro is a bit lengthy, but once things begin, you’ve got some great doom. Guitar tone would sound better if it was thicker, but that could be said about a lot of songs, haha. I really like the vocals, though. Some of the more melodic lines mixed in with the piano later on in the song are where this track really shines, I think, definitely my favorite parts.

iamntbatman – you suck.

guitartheist – This is really well produced. I’m not a fan of this genre, truth be told, but everything is played really well and the vocals are pretty haunting too. Could stand to be a bit longer, though. Other than that, everything is spot on, nice!

Killedbyaforklift – I feel like this song should have really awesome lyrics about fucking lions and shit. In all seriousness, I wish you had gotten around to doing some vocals (or…I wish I had gotten around to doing them), but in any case it’s a great song. I still like the solo, mistakes aside. I’m a tad biased though, aren’t I?

kingnuuuur – Haha, this is awesome! There’s not really much more to say about it, aside from the fact that I’d really like to play an old FPS while this track is playing.

Lorde – I loved the intro a lot, even if it didn’t quite fit. The song itself is really crazy, in a cool way. I agree, it’d be cool to hear it with real instruments, but it’s cool just how it is. Some of the riffs really would sound a lot better on a real guitar, though. The vocals are also really good.

Mattp - haha, I’d really like to know all the lyrics for this one, considering the song title. The riffs are downright brutal, as are the vocals. Not a fan of your drum tone, still, though. The choir / vocals could be a tad lower in the mix though, I wish I could hear those riffs a bit clearer.

Menschenfeindlic – Your guitar tone is great for the tremolo picked riff. The vocals are spot on as well. The atmosphere of this one is great. I think the guitars need to be a little bit more beefy later on, at around 1:30, but when you go back to playing open notes it’s great again. The leads are really cool too. Truth be told, though, I kinda wish you went back to the opening riff more; it’s really great sounding, one of my favorite tracks.

MoonPenatrator – Really surreal sounding, the title of the track is fitting as well. Could use a little bit more variation but other than that I really like this. Awesome!

Nightwisher1990 – I like the symphonic element of this track a lot. Would be cooler if it had real guitars, of course, but I know there were some issues with that. Some of the riffs are really solid though. I don’t think the clean vocals work really well though, I’m not sure what it is about them. The choirs sound great though, and the death metal vocals work well too.

odinallfather – I hope you don’t take offense to this, but this reminds me of something Tom Waits would do, haha. At least the part starting at 23 seconds does. Really weird, experimental, but kinda cool.

overkill666 and MercyfulKing – Would obviously sound better with drums and vocals, but that said, the riffs are really solid. Can’t wait until you guys pan this out and make it a full track, it’ll be really awesome.

ShaolinLambKiller – Boy oh boy do I love the sound of an HM-2. I think I like your higher vocals a lot more than the lower, more gurgle-ish kinds, though. Your drumming, as always, is great. I wish the riffs had a little bit more clarity throughout this though. I love all the feedback at the beginning of each song though, haha, reminds me of Mammoth Grinder. Also, I really love the back cover artwork, looks nice!

I'll let iamntbatman post the info about our song I guess, even though I was a bit more of the "production guy," because I'm lazy.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:42 pm 

thanks for the compliments! and for meantioning the artwork!

here is a breakdown of how long everything took me to do:
writing- one week. I pretty much wrote a song a day or two a day. I forced myself to stop so i wouldn't have a double album on my hands.

recording instruments- about a week, did the drums throughout, and took a day on bass then a day on guitar. didn't feel like rushing it.

writing lyrics- roughly 2 weeks. I started writing a bit right when I started writing the music.

recording vocals- 3 days. did two songs a day. and each take you hear is a one take, no cut ins or anything.

artwork- a day... well logo took 3 days with 4 revisions.

mixing- 3 days. 2 days to get a good mix. then one day to listen to it on various shit and tweak.

oh and starting every song with feedback... i'm a feedback junkie. i love it. I could've cut it out but I didn't.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm 

guitartheist - I like the way the guitar sounds, and some of the vocal production is pretty cool. The drums are pretty obviously programmed, but the whole thing has sort of an industrial, borderline electronic feel to it anyway, so it sort of fits. Some cool riffs here and there. Not really my cup of tea, but really well executed and produced.

Killedbyaforklift - This kind of sounds like the metal soundtrack to a futuristic racing game, or something. It'd be cool to hear it with vocals. I dig the bass tone, but some parts of it sorta sounded out of time. That's alright, though! Pretty brutal snare on this one.

odinallfather - At first I was worried that this was going to be really awful. I ended up only being sort of half right...some parts of it didn't really click, like the non-tom drumming and the vocals, sort of, but it has a really nice evil vibe to it. Sort of sounds like a bedroom black metal band doing acoustic covers of Slint songs or something. I think with some changes to the drum programming (or maybe just leave it out?) and some better recording, this could be a really cool, creepy track.

proliferation - Feedback is a good sign. Awww...that guitar is so neutered! A bit of sloppy playing, pretty awful recording quality, and no vocals. Oh shit! Are there drums buried in there somewhere? I almost heard them for a second. The riffs are pretty standard stuff, but that doesn't usually pose a problem for me if the performance is convincing. So, like odinallfather's track, this one is a good potential song that could really sound great if done justice.

Ahmad - Hey, this is good! There are a couple production issues, especially with the cymbals, but this is really well-composed stuff. The palm mutes sounded a little weak and there were a couple of mistakes. The synths/choirs sound good...could stand to be a tiny bit louder. Generally the lead guitars are too loud compared to the rhythm guitars. Really nice vocals! I would definitely buy a demo of this stuff and a full album if it was recorded a little bit better. I think this is my favorite song of the contest.

Atomic Powerslam - Oh fuck, my speakers! The faster guitar riffs were cool and the vocals were alright, but the guitar really needs to be multitracked. The drum programming was really basic but works, I guess, and the drum samples were really bad. The riffs just didn't seem to flow too well, though, and since the guitar is really the focus it was hard not to notice the mistakes. Not one of my favorites.

Chaos - was that classical guitar programmed, too? I'm really not sure if I'd prefer to hear this done with real instruments or if it's cooler as videogame music. The vocals are pretty cool, but sort of out of place given the overall sound of the track. Other than the blasting, I could really picture blowing some shit up with a helicopter to this on an NES. Oh hey, more classical guitar...yeah, that's programmed, haha. Some sweet drum beats here in the middle section. Any plans to do a version with live instruments?

Damnum Animus - This has a cool Summoning-esque feel to it, but either needs more bombast to it or to have the drums taken out. This would work really well as full-blown viking metal type stuff, with real drums, some guitars and black metal vocals. It could have used a bit more variation during its running time.

Destructive Dreams - I'm really liking the drum track on this one. Very trippy stuff. I wish there was a bit more variation to the melody. I do like the mix of the really meloncholic acoustic guitar and strings with the upbeat, jazzy drumming. Toward the end there it gets a little muddy and almost has a metal feel to it...I feel like this is sort of a short instrumental piece between bigger ideas, though.

Ecliptic Dawn - Are those real guitars buried under all of those synths? The guitar needs to be wayyyyyy louder than it is. The harsh vocals veered between ok and slightly less than ok. The female vocals weren't perfect, but I think with a dirtier production and louder guitars that'd be just fine. The drum programming was also a little lacking in this one; the fills are ok, but the regular drum beats are in need of help. A lot of the melodies in this sort of remind me of Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas.

Innzmouth - The guitar tone in this is pretty nice, but the mix is pretty quiet, especially on the rhythm guitars. The lead guitar sounds really good! This seems something like the sort of epic album closer you get near the end of an album. I was kind of hoping for some more interesting drum work throughout the song. The vocals are really good! I gotta admit this was a bit of a blue-baller...the whole thing felt like it was building up to a really violent, fast-paced finale that never really showed up.

kingnuuuur - This sounds pretty cheery for a Doom track, but it was pretty sweet. The midi drums are a cool addition to the sound. The quiet part near the end with the samples was pretty boss.

Space Vikings - Some pretty Amon Amarth type riffs going on in this one, which is what I reckon you were going for! I think the synths are a bit high in the mix for the style. The vocals are also a bit high and are a little on the monotonous side. Some pretty nice melodies in this one. This was pretty damn catchy stuff, though, and I like it a good deal. I was really hoping for a neck-snapping break and it *almost* delivered...if there had been double bass during that break riff, that woulda been pretty great. Good stuff.

ShaolinLambKiller - Haha, that guitar is muddy as fuck. Definitely rides the fine line between "awesome" and "ridiculous." I've gotta say I'm not a fan of your lower growls, but the raspy vocals are pretty cool. I would really have killed for some more definition in the riffs as it sounds like there's some cool stuff going on in that murk. It works during the more midpaced parts, but the blasting sections are a little too close to the type of chaotic grindy brutal death for my tastes. I like this a lot more than the stuff you submitted two challenges ago, though. Still, I dunno if there's enough variation to really last a whole 24 minutes. A couple of really cool riffs do come through though, like the slower parts of "Avenue for Lions" and the really groovy riff in "Scourge of the Black Plains."

Anyway, some info for our song:

This is our first recording under the name "Salvo." We've got a couple of other songs finished and some others in the works, so at some point we'll probably put out a demo. Inspiration was really simple death/doom stuff like Cianide and Runemagick.

iamntbatman - Bass, Vocals, Drum Programming, Lyrics
Grimmig - Guitar, Vocals, Drum Programming, Production

Here's the gear:

Guitar: Castle Rock JP55 into a Line 6 Pod Studio UX1. Used the HM-2 clone in Amplitube 3 along with the "Metal Clean" head, then an impulse loaded into LeCab with some reverb and a bit of EQ. The guitars are at least quad tracked throughout the song, with some tracks using the neck pickup and others (like the tremolo bits) using the bridge.
Bass: Dean Edge 4 into the UX1 into Pod Farm 2. I used the Bass Overdrive pedal, the "Eighties" head and the 8x10 cab with the Tube 47 Close mic.
Drums: Hand-programmed in Guitar Pro then tossed over to Superior Drummer. A bit of reverb, EQ and compression on those.
Vocals: Shure SM58 into the UX1. Reverb and EQ on those. Grimmig did the lower grunts and I did the higher vocals, which were an attempt at doing a sort of Van Drunen thing mixed with some swecrust/The Red In the Sky Is Ours sorta thing, but I'm pretty amateur at them so they definitely could have been better. All of the vocals were only single tracked.
Synth: that synth at the end was programmed in Guitar Pro and then put through a free VST called MicroMoon.

All recording was done in Reaper. Guitar and bass tuned to D.

Lyrics:

The proud and mighty Baltic fleet
Steamed halfway round the world
The insolent Japanese navy
Would pay for their mistake

Togo watched and waited
Saw the lights on the distant horizon
The enemy had been sighted
"Our fleet will proceed to attack the enemy

And destroy him"

Togo crossed the Russian T
bringing to bear all of his guns
pouring forth a relentless salvo

The Russian fleet was impotent
Steel crumpled like paper
Four ships lost to the ocean's depths

Night brought no relief
Torpedoes took their toll
When at last day finally broke

The Baltic fleet had been crushed

150,000 tons of Russian steel
At the bottom of the sea of japan
Forty-five hundred eaten by the sharks
Met their ends at the battle

of Tsushima

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:14 am 

bjornobomb -- I don't even know what I just listened to. Sounds like a mess :\
DecayingMyYouth -- I really like this! Great atmosphere. I agree with SLK, it'd be better without a "kit" drum. I'd like to hear this with orchestral percussion only. Reminds me of Ocarina of Time for some reason.
DemonofDarkness -- The production really hurts this track. The music itself is pretty cool, but the mix is thin and empty, and that really harms the effect that the music is going for.
Grimmig and iamntbatman -- Guitar tone sounds a cross between Anaal Nathrakh and Morbid Angel. The playing reminds me of the latter, too. I like the vocals, they are nice and forceful.
guitartheist - Sounds like Meshuggah/Fear Factory. Guitar playing is very tight... suspiciously tight... sounds almost like programming, but if it is, its pretty well done.
Killedbyaforklift - Work on the timing in the intro. I dig the music, would be great with some power metal vocals.
kingnuuuur -- Guitar Pro... really? :\
Lorde - .. Guitar Pro again...
Menschenfeindlic - Nice and grim!! I love it. Great atmosphere and vocals. You nailed this style. The second riff, with the keyboard sounds, has some sloppy playing and is in general not very interesting. After that, the song picks up again, and overall its good.
MoonPenatrator -- Really great atmosphere, I love the drums. This piece really stands out for its non-harsh production.. its nice to hear something warm.
Nightwisher1990 - I like the melody, but its too repetitive... Can't say I'm a fan of the clean vocals. Would sound MUCH better if you dropped the higher part and just used the lower harmonies.
odinallfather - Interesting. Sounds like a hillbilly meth nightmare.
overkill666 - I can't really make anything out. Some cool riffs.
ShaolinLambKiller -- Oh man! I thought that other song reminded me of Anaal Nathrakh... This sounds much more like them, but more natural/aggressive/raw due to the real drums, less processed vocals, and less clear guitar tone. Sounds absolutely fucking evil. I'd bring the gain down a bit on the guitars, I can't really make out what they're doing if the riffs are too fast, and I'd like just a little tighter playing on the drums, but this is pretty excellent stuff.

As for my song!

It's one of the songs from my new band, Space Vikings. We're on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/hailspacevikings

Lyrics:
Quote:
BeaViking Lyrics

(concept: being a viking! voyage pillage drink grill! WAT ARE ALIENS BATTLE)

-----Verse I
The conquest of ages
The might of the sea
Our enemies surrender
Our strengh endures!

We return, victorious
Bringing the spoils of the hunt
Bows and arrows brings meat
Axes and swords bring glory!

-----Prechorus
Fire the grills! Prepare the feast!
Glory is ours, the victors in war
Voyage upon the sea
Pillage our enemies!
Drink in celebration!
Grill in commemoration!

-----Chorus
Courage, valor, honor, and strength
These are the traits of victory!
Voyage, pillage, drink, grill
This is the life of a viking!

-----Verse II
The night is over, the sun approaches
New lights are forming, the stars are falling
Are the gods visiting us?
What glory this is!
We must prepare arms, to welcome our host!

-----Prechorus

-----Chorus

-----Verse III
Not gods, but aliens!
Shining ships bring forth lightning
Fire consumes mercilessly
What madness brought us this?

Bitter battle, a hated foe
No mercy for aliens!
Dodge the fire, strike them down
Visit war upon the invader!

-----Verse IV
The flying ships land, making a fatal flaw
The enemy reveals themselves
Terrible and hideous, tentacles with eyes
A swarm of putridity, ripe for defeat!

-----Prechorus
Fire the arrows! Prepare the swords!
Glory is ours, the fighters of war
Hack them apart! Set them on fire!
Odin, thy wisdom guide us

The drums and orchestration were programmed by me, and I recorded all the guitars (though I have to admit, I only wrote the chorus, prechorus, and Verse III), as well as doing the vocals and lyrics (though the new vocalist will be recording his stuff to finish it off). The bass is played by the bassist in the band.

Guitars are LTD H-207 with DiMarzio D-Activator 7 in the bridge, plugged into my Interface and using TSE X30 and some random impulses. The bass is a BC Rich Warlock NJ Deluxe 5 string, plugged into the interface with LeXTAC and bass impulses.

I had a pretty bad cold recording the vocals... which is why they sound like crap.

bjornobomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 am 

DecayingMyYouth - Damnum Animus - The last of my kind:
As a big fan of dark ambient, I found this track to be very enjoyable. Reminded me of a song from Burzum's Hjisklaf album, except not made with a shitty prison synth.
I feel that the goal of transporting my mind to a gloomy desolate land has been achevied satasfatory.

Demonofdarkness - Innzmouth - Requim:
Great guitar tones, melodies and riffs played well. Very professional. TWO THUMBS UP.

Grimmig iamntbatman - Salvo - Tsushima:
fist thing that came to my mind was "THIS FUCKING CRUSHES" which of course is a good thing. Thunderous wall of sound breaking my bones and making me bleed out my eyes. I liked how angry the vocals were. Only suggestion would be to raise loudness of the snare drum, but I am a snare freak so you can ignore that if you see fit.

guitarthiest- Valentine:
Playing was very tight, one word description: brutal.

Killedbyaforklift - tsavo:
Fucking love that snare, yes awesome. I'm a total sucker for olde school heavy metal so this was just my kind of shit. Solo fit, but would have been better if it was faster. Too bad the vocals didnt work out, would have loved to hear some NWOBHM style falsettos on top.

kinguuuuuu - Doomguy etc:
Cacodemons came flying out my speakers and exploded me into guts.

Lorde - Chaos - Alone:
Solo at 2 minutes reminded me of Megaman 2 stuff, which is way cool. Very chaotic, as I'm sure you intended. 4.5 minutes in theres some badass flamencio shit that bursts into some heavy riffing and a sweet solo, running out of words for COOL.
Suprising good for all synthed stuff.

mattp - Space Vikings - Be a Viking:
BURN THIER CHURCHES AND KILL THEM ALLLLLLL. Viking metal Odin would be proud of, unless he has been slimed by aliens, that it.

Menschenfeindlic - Ahmad - Adrift in an inner tempest:
Very good, reminds me of something I have heard before but I have no idea what it was. Something awesome no doubt.

Moonpenetrator - Destructive Dreams - Far From Home
Drums reminded me of liquid funk/dnb stuff, which I am not a fan of. Aint saying its bad just that I did not like it.

Nightwisher - Ecliptic Dawn - Of Lust and Sins:
Lots of layers n shit. Sometimes the vocals got lost in the mix/everything jumbled together. Fucking sweet solo at 5:40. Label me a FAN.

odinallfather - End of All
I have never heard anything like this. I can see what you were going for (maybe?) and I LIKE IT.

overkill666/mercyfulKing - Death Inquisition - Proliferation:
Grimy, dirty, thrashy, fucking TITS. I dont remember hearing drums but I would be happy with a pounding garbage-can lid throughout.

ShaolinLambKiller - Draug
Whole EP was great, badass song titles definitly helped. Guitar sounded like a truck full of demons coming straight outta hell.
Drumming was well done, so I commened you on that front as well as the brutal growls which I am sure wrecked your throat. Keep up the good work!

Was suprised just how good every submission was, thoughly enjoyable experience.

As you may have noticed my track seems a tad rushed, I admit to writing and recording the whole thing in a couple of hours. Was too lazy to pull out my bass and record it.
Did not do any EQ on the guitar as I felt it was fine at the time, only added some slight chorus.
Inspiration was Bathory's 'Reaper' from debut and lots of DEATHHAMMER stuff.

GEAR: Gibson Explorer through a Dragonfly BM-1 and into a marshall practive amp.
Recorded with $5 headset mic. I'll probably get a SM57 or some shit soon.

Lyrics:
(lyrics written all in caps because it made them seem angrier)

IN THE DAY OR IN THE NIGHT
YOU CANT RUN YOU CANT FIGHT
COMING FOR YOU JUST CANT STOP
HIT BY THUNDER CRUSHED BY ROCK

DUSTY BONES WITH NO FLESH
NAME OF REAPER BRINGER OF DEATH
WITH NO SOUND HE DOES WALK
YOU ARE THE ONE HE STALKS

HEAR THE SOUND OF THE WIND
HOWLS OF DEAD WALK WITH HIM
ROBED ONE WITH SCYTHE IN HAND
STEALS THE SOUL OF ANOTHER MAN

ETERNAL HATE
JUST YOU WAIT
THE ROBED ONE COMES
TO BRING YOU DEATH

ROBED ONE NAME OF DEATH
TAKES YOU SOUL TAKES YOUR BREATH
BONES AND FIRE IN THE DARK
ROBED ONE WILL LEAVE HIS MARK

THE ROBED ONE IS THE BEAST
THE ROBED ONE HAS NO MEAT
THE ROBED ONE IS ALL PAIN
BOILS THE BLOOD IN YOUR VIENS

ROBO

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:13 am 

[bjornobomb] Atomic Powerslam - The Robed One
This is the first track I listened to and straight away it gave me a severe headache. :fuck: You could thicken and double the guitar, add bass, some reverb, and you'd get typical early 80s black/speed metal. And yes those vocals work really well for the style.

[DecayingMyYouth] Damnum Animus - The Last of My Kind
A bit repetitive, the main theme could've used some more expansion. I appreciate how the drums have weaker dynamics, giving the track an overall calm, on-a-journey kind of feeling, perhaps even a bit hopeful at times. I like that, we should collab sometime!

[overkill666 & MercyfulKing] Death Inquisition - Proliferation
I've only heard a guitar in this one, so I'm assuming that's all there is. The riffs sound like some early thrash/death metal, and would make a standard song of the genre once drums, bass and vocals are added.

[odinallfather] End of All
Weird creepy shit, I imagine that's what Von would sound like unplugged. It certainly stood out to me from the bunch, and for a moment there, I thought it was going to develop into some sick Wold style black metal.

[guitartheist] Valentine
Quite good! I really like the guitar tone. I would bring up the lead guitar and vocals a bit and thicken the drums. Otherwise, not a bad take on industrial/groove metal.

[Killedbyaforklift] Tsavo
GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES! That's what I thought when first hearing this. :lol: It didn't even occur to me that it'd be about animals, let alone man-eating lions. Anyway, this is pretty fun and definitely more so if it had some clean heavy metal vocals, but it makes me wish that it had picked up some pace and transitioned into full-blown speed metal. Not very tight at times.

[Lorde] Chaos - Alone
You know, I'd really like to hear this one with real, properly mixed instruments. It sounds like there's some interesting neoclassical prog death metal composing fused with some Spanish parts. I don't mind that it's 8 minutes long, but unfortunately the horrendous Guitar Pro RSE takes it in a completely different direction than you probably intended to go for; a Sega Genesis soundtrack. That aside, I still dig the track and go back to my initial comment.

[MoonPenatrator] Destructive Dreams - Far from Home
This one was kind of disappointing. I was expecting something to happen, like a crescendo half-way through and a burst into something big and powerful, like an awakening or revelation, but the song kept feeling dormant. Nice drumming though!

[mattp] Space Vikings - Be a Viking
Not terribly into melodic death metal, but I found this enjoyable nonetheless. My only complaint would be that the vocals seemed like they were merely recited with a growling voice.

[iamntbatman & Grimmig] Salvo - Tsushima
Well fuck, this is heavy! I like the hardcore punk vocals, and I personally would've preferred some hardcore drumming and fuzzier guitars. That would've been some good sludge! But hey, it's a good song as it is. The lyrics remind of Bolt Thrower, and seeing that the project name is Salvo, I'd say they're pretty much an influence. :D

[Menschenfeindlic] Ahmad - Adrift in an Inner Tempest
Good atmospheric black metal, you've done a better job than countless bands I can name. At 1:03 it sounds like your picking lacks power, not that it's a terribly interesting part anyway. Halfway through, the song sounded slightly reminiscent of Ultima Thulée. Some clean guitar in the interlude and better production can go a long way with this one.

[Nightwisher1990] Ecliptic Dawn - Of Lust and Sins
There are many things I didn't like about this one. The guitar is almost absent. The female vocals sound awkward. The growled vocals need more power. The solo at 5:32 felt out of place. The same drum fills are repeated over and over, and I have to say that this makes the track feel longer than it is, and at 7 minutes it's already long enough. Pretty deadening in fact. Then again, I rarely like gothic doom stuff.

[DemonofDarkness] Innzmouth - Requiem
A somewhat tolerable attempt at doom/black metal. I'm not a fan of long, constantly slow songs, unless they have special qualities and written creatively. I find that this song only happens to be borderline hypnotic, which improves my opinion on it a little bit. The "keys" (probably a vibraphone) are a nice melodic touch. The vocals definitely need to be more powerful and convincing. Oh, and the track is in need of reverb.

[ShaolinLambKiller] A fucking EP
Filthy brutal deathgrind of the mental, abrasive variety. I'd say you're one vocal pitch shift away from sounding EXACTLY like Torsofuck. The most interesting track I find is Scourge of the Black Plains, because it has some nice BDM grooves and I can actually make out what the fuck you're doing on guitar. The EP could've used some more variety, but I think it's safe to say that you've succeeded at what you've set out to accomplish here.

----------------

Overall, I think this song challenge has been really interesting; 15 submissions, each radically different from the other, no two tracks from the same genre. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome and diversity of tastes that have come together here, and I'm definitely looking forward to a new song challenge, even if I don't take part myself.

As for my track: Doomguy Enters a Base Full of Baddies (Part I)

An introduction for what's supposed to be Doomguy's fight against an army of aliens/demons on Earth. Written in less than a day, because my laptop has recently starting going apeshit for reasons I can't figure out. Obviously that meant I couldn't do anything with real instruments anyway, so I opted to just using MIDI. This is after all inspired by the game DOOM, so I thought why not?

Stuff used:
-A soon-to-pass-away Toshiba laptop.
-Guitar Pro 5. Guitar Pro 6's MIDI export function is, unbelievably, not as good.
-Some samples from the game.
-REAPER.

Sure enough I'll never do anything with pure MIDI again.

Last edited by kingnuuuur on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 am 

bjornobomb - This is actually a good song, but due to the production I could barely hear the drums and the guitar tone sounds kinda weak, as if its too compressed. Anyways, some nice riffs and a cool weird-sounding solo. Would like to hear the final version of this song.

DecayingMyYouth - Nice. Has an epic, sad feel to it. Like a march towards oblivion or something. This was actually a surprise - I thought we would be restricted to metal.

DemonofDarkness - You know, I normally don't have patience to listen to doom metal, I prefer faster material. Even then, this song manages to keep things interesting, switching melodies all the time.

Grimmig and iamntbatman - Again, can't hear the drums, only the splash. There's some nice riffs here, even though I'm not much into that slow pace. The only thing I didn't like were the vocals, but the singer probably did it on purpose so its more like a taste thing.

guitartheist - A good production lets me hear everything in this song, which is a good thing. I don't like that kind of riffs but you played them really well. Liked the song, though.

Killedbyaforklift - Nice. Real nice. Cool heavy metal riffs and a nice pace. Everything is played very well and I don't even think there's need for some vocals. It is fine as it is.

kingnuuuur - Yeah. Best title ever. The song itself is composed in a way that it resembles video game music and the Guitar Pro really helps picturing that. Nice composition.

mattp - Nice song. Cool riffs and an ok production (would be fine if the keyboards weren't so loud). Again, very cool riffs, the guitar was treated well in this one and that's mainly why I like it.

Menschenfeindlic - Yeah. Black fuckin' metal. Reminds me of Limbonic Art and that's not a bad thing at all. Nice riffs but the drums could be louder, I think. I liked this one a lot, keep it up.

MoonPenatrator - That is a diferent one. Reminds me of some of my earlier work. It is sad, melodic and beautiful, though too simple, maybe the time was short but I think you should go on with this one... those riffs have potential to draw out more.

Nightwisher1990 - The song is long and feels long. I don't know, maybe there could be a little less repetition. A good song otherwise, has a gothic feel to it.

odinallfather - That's a strange trip. Happy/tranquilizing acoustic melodies with low drums and death metal vocals. Nothing more can be said.

overkill666 and MercyfulKing - Yeah. Your riffs are fine. Definitly worth of becoming a full song.

ShaolinLambKiller - I feel like I'm missing good songs because of the guitar tone, which I didn't like. The production is that of a demo and a better one would surely do my ears some favors. The vocals are fine (especially the low growls) as is the drumming, I just wish the guitar tone wasn't like that.

About my own - I know this Guitar Pro thing sounds like shit and I plan on recording all my material with a band as soon as I can, now that I moved to a big city that could happen soon. But it's really hard to find musicians that are able to play this kind of music in my country. Real hard. Until then I will keep on submitting these GP tracks and you'll have to bear with it.
Just kidding.
I'll still submit them if allowed, though.

Here are the lyrics:

Quote:
Alone

A dawn came too early,
Whispering its cold breath
Upon my tired ears,

Its moans came with sorrowful, darkening clouds,
Fiddling the grass beneath my fears,
This dawn, though vast,
Has no meaning to my woes,
Within it my fears are shown.

Now that I lie out of the shield of the night
My world longs for the moon and its addictive shine.

Then the dawn that came early starts to fade away too late,
Now I already lie defeated, left only with my hate,
As soon as the twilight fails the radioactive sun
I find my place among the shadows, as one.

Although among the shadows I stayed for too long
There is no better place at all to be alone,
Awoke with the silence from the walls that went down,
Alone and above everything and all.

DemonofDarkness
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:03 am 

I just come home and I'm too drunk to download or write any reviews :D
STAY TUNNED for uncle demon's review and thanks for everyone who takes time to write a reveiw for my song

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 am 

I am downloading the songs now, I'll have a listen then write reviews, I'll clarify some stuff, then I'll write info about my track as well as lyrics.

-Real guitars were used, I've controlled guitar level all over the track, It was loud in verses and weak in choruses and bridges cuz this is how I had composition in my head.

INFO ABOUT THE TRACK:
I've done all music, composition and riffs, except for guitar solo was done by Thomas Cross who recorded guitars as well using a Jackson guitar (I can't remember the model though).
I've recorded harsh vocals using DM 35A ( a shitty mic).
Programmed all synth using Reason 4 (unfortunately, my Yamaha PSR62 is kinda broken and can't work as a midi controller right now).
I've Programmed Drums using Addictive Drums.
I've Programmed Bass using Trilogy Basses.
Clean Male vocals were done by a friend of mine, as well as female vocals.
Everything was mixed Using REAPER. Mastered using Slate FG-X.

I've had 2 problems :
1. I couldn't record keyboards myself (there was some parts that sounded different from how I wanted to If I were playing)
2. mixing shit and peaking cuz of Sound Card and laptop's processor.

Lyrics : (If anyone gives a fuck about them):
Of Lust And Sin

A Beauty in the garden of sin
A Forbidden flower for no one to win
Desired by forces of Dark
Abandoned by holiness of light
You will cry for your sins
You will die for the scar
The Scar of lust and sin
I long for her dark forest of lust
In her shades I am forever lost
Weeping upon the broken mirrors
To see her drowning in shadows
You will cry for your sins
You will die for the scar
The Scar of lust and sin
A crystal tear has drifted from her eye,
Death is near but she can't deny
Her blasphemy
She cried for her sins
She died for the scar
The scar of lust and sin
-Ecliptic Dawn [My Gothic Metal project]
http://eclipticdawn.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/Ecliptic.Dawn.Sy

Everything is downloadable on Bandcamp.

odinallfather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 pm 

ok, I'm just trying to download the stuff now, which is a bit of strugle with the connection we have in this country, but my reviews are comming soon! patience, people!

about my song... as I already said, it's my first one ever, and I'm pretty happy with the reviews I got from all you guys... so thanks!

also, I'm not in possession of electric guitar, so it sounds kinda weird with acustic one! recordings weren't top quallity and I mix things horribly, so yeah, cut me some slack :)

oh, I had to trow out a lot of stuff that I've written, cuz I couldn't play them... I'm not good with the guitar and can only do simple stuff!

anyways, thanks again for the feedback, and I hope to participate again, where I can give it all I got, and hopefully make something that's not so weird!

THE WORLD HAS MOVED ON

guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 pm 

I didn't read much of the threads, so if your song wasn't actually finished I didn't know.

Bjornobomb - Horrible guitar tone, interesting playing in the intro. Not very tight, drums never change, mix is weak. Some good riffs, would like to hear this if you redo it double tracking guitars to a click, adding bass, and writing more drum variation.

DecayingMyYouth - Awesome intro, very atmospheric. Drums are quiet but that seems intentional. Good dynamics and changes, interesting ideas throughout.

DemonofDarkness - Great raw black metal production, lead guitar would've sounded better re-intonated or with some vibrato. Interesting vocal style. Cool song.

Grimming and Iamnotbatman - Interesting guitar tone, drums a bit quiet but otherwise good mix. Cool strings outro and interesting vocals throughout, good variations on the main riff. Very cohesive.

Killedbyaforklift - Guitar sound and playing is subpar, production wise this needs more bass and tighter guitars with better tone. Also needs another melody layer to be interesting, this is a good backing for something.

Kingnuuuur - Awesome composition, would've fit perfectly in the first doom. As such the production being midi is fine, would've mixed bass a bit louder. Awesome panned delay effect at the end.

Lorde - FUCK. Turn everything down 6 decibels when you're mixing, then turn the mix up so it's not clipping. This isn't listenable but I tried. Very interesting riffs, transitions, and dynamics ruined by shit production. The song is so good I'd literally give it a 5/10 overall - 10/10 writing, 0/10 execution.

mattp - I like the production other than the vocals, which are good but need some reverb to fit into the mix. Great riffs, solid all around, choir is also a little loud. As I get to the end I wish the guitars had been a little louder throughout - still good production as far as tones and playing/panning go, a few volume issues in my opinion.

Menschenfeindlic - Very badass blackmetal, I'd criticize the production but it's probably intentionally raw sounding. Some tightness issues on the guitar tracks. Awesome synths and vocals. I like the sheer number of ideas and combinations of riffs and drum patterns you have here. Good song.

MoonPenetrator - Awesome drum sound and synths, not a fan of the clean guitar. Loving the intro ambience and insanely dynamic drums. Wish this would've built into some giant, super emotional overdriven wall of guitars.

NightWisher1990 - Cool synth intro, writing and sound-wise. Would've fit the guitars better with some reverb, guitars are muddy in my opinion. Weird riffs, I like the alien-sounding rhythm. Your vocals are honestly hilarious. Good job on the clean harmonies. The music isn't my kind of thing, bored me overall. I might like in a specific mood.

odinallfather - Sounds like a demo, drums are weird in a distractingly bad way. You had some decent ideas but this doesn't feel like a complete song.

overkill666 and mercyfulking - all I hear is a really terrible guitar tone backed perhaps by a basstrack. Can't really tell if this would be a good song well produced.

Shaolinlambkiller666 - Sounds like mud. All 6 songs, nearly every second except when the drums drop out and one instrument plays. In those moments it sounds like you have interesting ideas. The drumming and drum recording is good but not as tight as it needs to be for this kind of music. I wish you would've spent your time on one song with really great production and playing.

I spent about four hours on my song. I set a click track to 144 and triple-tracked rhythm guitars through my Line 6 POD X3 with my Ibanez Mikro in Drop B. Then I recorded an Ibanez SDGR 505 through the POD and programmed drums in Reason to fit what I had so far. At this point I added one panned rhythm guitar at a time effects and fade ins in Audacity, which I use to capture and mix everything. Then I played 50/50 panned pinch harmonics with the Mikro before quad-tracking most of my vocals - highs panned 100/0/-100, lows panned 0. Cleans are harmonies 100/-100, high 0 low 0.

I pitch shifted the second "Are you satisfied?" and some of the vocals are loud single-takes for emphasis. All vocals are compressed, leveled, and run through delay. When I was done with the mix I ran my .wav through the Reason mastering suite for EQ and Stereo imaging.

EDIT: I single-tracked a buried lead from :16 to :43. It and the pinch harmonics have delay and reverb on them. Rhythm guitar tones are just amp and speaker sims with EQ, bass tone is just amp/speaker sim.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 pm 

This is pretty neat. I'm looking forward to listening to all the contributions. Sad thing I noticed the primary thread only a few days a go; I would have definitely participated if I'd been on time. Looking forward to the next contest - hopefully there'll be one.

Menschenfeindlic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:59 pm 

I downloaded the file...and I'll take some time listening to the songs before posting the reviews.

about my song:
when the competition started I was listening A LOT to "Darkspace" ,and some "Mar de Grises" and "God is an astronaut" :uh oh:
apparently Darkspace is my main influence here.
A friend of min (also band mate) wrote the lyrics for me since I have nothing to do with lyrics writing.
the lyrics are about how when a person clash into an idea or anything that is against what he believes in...in a general perspective not necessarily about religion.
and how after that what was buried is now awakened...so it's sort of inner struggle.

it took me about one week to finish writing and another week to record and master it,my only problem was the vocals since I've never did them before,but I managed to handle them.

about the gear I used(though there is nothing fancy to say here):
Guitar,Washburn x10 (tuned down to C) plugged into my digitech rp255 as interface.
I used GuitarRig4 as ampsim ,I would have used "LeCto" but I didn't know about it until recently.
I used Sytrus for the choir and synth.
Addictive Drum for the drums,
and Adobe Audition 3 for mixing.
this is all I guess.

Thank you all for the nice reviews :) ,glad that you liked the song...and yea I know the guitar was a little bit sloppy,I'll work on that!
I'll post my reviews soon.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 pm 

THAT was your first attempt at vocals? I'm really impressed. Reading back through my thoughts on your song, it's pretty hyper-critical and I stand by what I said about it being my favorite song of the contest. Just a couple of minor production issues and slightly sloppy guitar playing in some places were really all that was keeping this from being really great stuff.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm glad not everyone hated my vocals as those were my first attempt, haha. Grimmig and I might do some adjustments to it (including getting the drums a little louder in the mix) and post it back up at some point, along with the other material we're working on for Salvo.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:36 pm 

thanks thus far for all the feedback! I appreciate all comments on it positive or overwise.

I'll address a couple of things to a bit more insight on it...

guitar tone: direct all boss hm-2 driven and totally wanted that ultra noisy swedish buzzsaw unhinged sound. that's why i didn't do much tweaking on that level. hell the entire reason I did this was to pretty much use the fuck out of the pedal. the one thing I would change would be tuning to G which is like 5 steps below E standard. That would contribute to the mud sound but really I wouldn't have changed my mixing if it was in A or D. I was trying to hit something along the lines of Moondark in how low it all sounds.

production: it's actually exactly where I want it to be. I am skilled to make a clean polished production job, but that wasn't my goal for this. I wanted it to sound like it was some long lost demo from the early/mid 90's. Just ultra nasty barbaric ferocity. the songs aren't about the technique or the riffs or songwriting, all are secondary to the feeling behind the intent of the song itself.

vocals: just wanted to say that's my natural lows for death-style. only thing I did was add some reverb after the fact for that ultra-kvlt feel. haha.

if anyone is interested, a tape of Draug it'll be coming out on Godeater Records in a couple of months I believe. Still working on the last details of that.

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 pm 

Thanks everyone for the awsome feedback! I thought I would get a lot of shit because it's not metal. For the record, everyone who liked my track: I will be coming out with an EP of such material on the 25th.

I'm listening to the songs now. Reviews will come later.

Menschenfeindlic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:26 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
THAT was your first attempt at vocals? I'm really impressed. Reading back through my thoughts on your song, it's pretty hyper-critical and I stand by what I said about it being my favorite song of the contest. Just a couple of minor production issues and slightly sloppy guitar playing in some places were really all that was keeping this from being really great stuff.

sure sometimes I sing along some songs and do it for fun,but this is my first attempt to record vocals for a song.
btw,I used tube screamer plug in on the vocals just to add a little treble to the vocals(kind of like static noise or something like that) because this is the sound I was aiming for and it made the vocals blend more with the atmosphere.

Last.fm

odinallfather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 am 

bjornobomb
well, I pretty much agree with what everyone else said! I think the riffs are great, but the guitar is just begging for power, but alas, drums and bass are not providing any! but, I would say overall, still a good song! 7/10

DecayingMyYouth
love it, perfect just as it is! if anything needs changing, then a bit shorter would be nice! it has a nice feel to it, really nice, dreamy atmosphere! I think I'll use it if I have trouble falling asleep... not saying it's boring, I'm saying it just makes me wanna mentally leave this world and go somewhere else! great job! 9/10

DemonofDarkness
well, some of the guys said it too, and I, as well, just don't have the patience to listen to doom songs! I barely got through this song, and I was all jumpy, biting my fingers and shit! yea, the song has a nice tune, nice feel, I like that, but I was just wishing for some sudden change into blast beats with machine gun guitars! sorry, but not my cup of tea! 6/10

Grimmig and iamntbatman
I like this one, it's just how slk said it, nasty and disgusting sound, but in a good kinda way! I wouldn't be carrying this on my mp3 player, but it's sure as hell something I would like in the background while making love to a beautifull woman, hahaha! 8/10

guitartheist
I don't know what to say about this... when I look at other reviews for this song, they all seem to like it, but I just can't say I do! so, I guess the song is actually good, but not something I would like! it's not you, it's me... sorry! 3/10

Killedbyaforklift
like it! I think it's good that no vocals got on this one, I mean, jeez, man-eating lions with this sort of music... no way! 8/10

kingnuuuur
hell yeah! I second the best title ever comment! without real instruments I can't say I really enjoyed it, but I like the ending! and you did keep it short, so it doesn't feel like something bad, just kinda fun! you pulled it off nicely! 6/10

Lorde
well, first I thought yuk... but, I had a strange idea about playing tetris with this in the background and I then I thought "wicked!!!" 6/10

mattp
nice, epic sounding! 8/10

Menschenfeindlic
not the biggest fan of the genre, but you got some nice riffs there, and everything else seems to follow! so, I won't be your groupie, but I'll give ya a nice, high grade :D 9/10

MoonPenatrator
I really thought this was gonna envelope into some hip-hop or something! but it didn't!
but I don't know what to say... nothing bad with this song, but it really does feel like it's something you took of mtv! sorry! 5/10

Nightwisher1990
hmmm, well, this one is ok! the music has some nice parts! low growls work, clean singing not really! but the contrast between the two makes the growls seem way cooler, haha! 7/10

overkill666 and MercyfulKing
well, I like the riffs, but yea, that's about all there is! so... nice job :) 6/10

ShaolinLambKiller
yup, for me, this is the highlight of the challenge! something to headbang to, hells yes! :) you kinda lost me there in the middle, since the whole thing is just fast and brutal with barely a moment of rest, but blood & hammers gave me a moment to get my senses back, and I was ready to go onwards to the end! I was gonna give just one 10 to the song that was the best one to my liking and here it is, sir! 10/10

THE WORLD HAS MOVED ON

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:14 am 

Here's my reviews : (I HOPE YOU ALL DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONAL)
ShaolinLambKiller
fucking awesome for headbanging especially the first track, splendid drumming, riffs weren't all good, but there was some kick ass riffs, as for vocals, highs are totally ok, but low growls aren't any clear ( maybe you need more compression on vocals ?) so I can't judge them, this would have been absolutely a headbanging masterpiece If you worked on 2 tracks, with better production.
7/10

bjornobomb
I am not a fan of this style, but the riffs weren't bad at all, but the song itself lacks fullness, what I mean is : why don't you record rhythm 2 times and pan it to left and right ? and the whole thing lacks bass a lot. the solo is nice, I can't judge vocals cuz I haven't listened to a lot of vocals in this style.
5/10

DecayingMyYouth
One of the best tracks here, I enjoyed listening to it many times, it gives strange feelings, would have been PERFECT If you dropped drums and used orchestral percussion (even by using a free VSTi) but never the less this one is almost the best track here.
10/10

DemonofDarkness
Synth intro is good, I like the song in general, I am a big fan of this style. Composition and structure is the best thing here, while production is the worst cuz the song should have been way louder than this, but nevertheless a great track.
9/10

Grimmig and iamntbatman
Riffs in general are great, I am not a fan of this style of vocals, but the whole song is really enjoyable, good production and
7/10

guitartheist
Starts with a great riff, but didn't go as good, I am not a fan of this vocal style, I didn't also like clean vocals which reminded me of Bullet For My Valentine (no offense ), great production. I don't know what to say, but this could have been way better.
5/10

Killedbyaforklift
too much repeating here, I didn't like the riffs at all, and it really lacks vocals, this can't really be an instrumental track.
4/10

kingnuuuur
i don't really know why did you submit midi, I can't judge anything here, cuz this can't be called a song, although It might be an awesome track If it was played with real instruments.
3/10

Lorde
Again, the midi thing, I don't know, I didn't find anything interesting here, I didn't like melodies niether vocals. sorry mate.
2/10

mattp
a kick ass starting riff, although it doesn't 100% fit the melodic style of the song, again great vocals, great synth work, I like that style of metal, an interesting track that doesn't lack anything.
10/10

Menschenfeindlic
Although I am not a fan of this style, but I have to admit that the guitar is a killer here, and the whole thing is really great with Synth, the vocals aren't the best but they're good actually. As for production, the drums should have been clearer, the kick isn't audible even with a Sub-Woofer.
8/10

MoonPenatrator
the track is so muddy, I didn't like the music much, I really can't say a lot here.
4/10

odinallfather
well, maybe we should call this a demo, nice melodies, poor vocals, in general it's not any bad.
5/10

overkill666 and MercyfulKing
I don't know, why don't you use drums ? or vocals ? this can't be called an instrumental track cuz it lacks a lot of things, those riffs can't build an instrumental track,, so basically, this can be a called an idea of a song.
4/10

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 am 

Guys and gals, i feel really shitty on not geting a track in on time. There was a bad delay that i couldn't get rid of. some how the pc was processing (or atleast playing back the guitar track) too early even though everyhting was lined up poperly, and no amount of adjusting was working at all. It sucks i couldn't finish it, especially after DecayingMyYouth gave me that kickass drum track. Anyone got any better freeware than Audacity to use? or even just cheapware? lol

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:04 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Guys and gals, i feel really shitty on not geting a track in on time. There was a bad delay that i couldn't get rid of. some how the pc was processing (or atleast playing back the guitar track) too early even though everyhting was lined up poperly, and no amount of adjusting was working at all. It sucks i couldn't finish it, especially after DecayingMyYouth gave me that kickass drum track. Anyone got any better freeware than Audacity to use? or even just cheapware? lol

REAPER . It's free for 60 days and it continues free afterwards. (and I guess you can purchase a licence with 60$).

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 pm 

Wow, yeah, thanks for all the feedback. The biggest thing we rushed were the vocals. I did all of mine in one take and iamntbatman did his in two. We're planning on re-recording those (hopefully my rhythm will be a bit better, and I know he just wants to work on his vocals in general since it was his first attempt) and getting the drums a tad louder. Like he said, we've got a ton of material written, so this competition was just the right start to us getting a demo done or something.

Also, yeah, Reaper is really good. I think just about everyone in the Musician's forum will attest to that.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:25 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

REAPER . It's free for 60 days and it continues free afterwards. (and I guess you can purchase a licence with 60$).

Does it play back the current track you're recording? that's one thing about audacity that really pissed me off

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:07 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

Does it play back the current track you're recording? that's one thing about audacity that really pissed me off

What do you mean? If you want it to play back the drum track or whatnot, then yes, it does. If you're going direct in and want to hear your guitars, it does that too.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm 

DecayingMyYouth wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

What do you mean? If you want it to play back the drum track or whatnot, then yes, it does. If you're going direct in and want to hear your guitars, it does that too.

Now while i'm recording it doesn,t not the guitars anyway. it said that's a mac only option

Killedbyaforklift
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 pm 

Audacity is all around painful to work with because it's stripped down a lot.
REAPER is definitely the way to go, and if you're poor or just want something free you can completely ignore the pop up that says you have to buy it and continue to use it unhindered.

REAPER will give play back on any track you have when recording, unless you specifically mute them, but it's certainly a bit more daunting to look at all of REAPER's options if you're coming to it from Audacity.

guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:59 pm 

I downloaded reaper after reading Killedbyaforklift's post. It's fantastic. Took about half an hour to figure out how to do everything audacity had been doing for me and start doing more. I'm looking forward to the next song writing thing so I can focus more on the songwriting - this time around I essentially submitted a production test, so I was really happy to read all the positive feedback on my production and guitar tightness. It was fun listening to such a huge variety of (still mostly metal) music.

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
DecayingMyYouth wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

Now while i'm recording it doesn,t not the guitars anyway. it said that's a mac only option

I meant REAPER.

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:33 pm 

Alright! Here are my reviews. I didn't do ratings though.

Bjornobomb-I can’t say I was a big fan of this one. You should really double the guitar tracks and bring the drums up. Oh, but those vocals: EPIC. I love what you did with them.

DemonofDarkness-oh I like this one. I was wondering after that intro whether it would go straight into blasting, but I liked the transition. The tone of that guitar is ugly and black metal: nice job with that. Those keys are fucking trippy man. Keep that up. And oh, those vocals. They sound like something hell drug up. NICE.

Grimmig/iamntbatman-Holy hell, that’s an AWESOME guitar/bass tone. I would have liked more frantic drumming though. The vocals fit the style well, no complaints there. Nice job with the lyrics too. I love me some Russian history :D

Guitartheist-this is probably one of my favorite tracks in the whole compilation. I love this style, and your guitar tone is perfection. Those drums are great, because of the franticness. Wait, do I hear some TesseracT influence at the end? This whole song is made of win.

Killedbyaforklift-hmm, I smell ye olde style Judas Priest, mixed with a little Rush. Loving that snare. Some of the timings were off though, that’s the only thing I didn’t like. The guitar tone is good, if not a little weird. I do think that you should have layered and made the solo go over another guitar layer.

Kingnuuuur-not a fan of the guitar pro…otherwise this would have been a pretty kickass song. Whoa, nice soundbite from the game. In short, this kinda needs some work :/

Lorde-eehhhhh. Its better than the above…soundwise…but still it needs work. Those “guitars” don’t really do too much for the song, and neither do the vocals. It could have been something really legitly awesome, but that programming cut it back.

Mattp-I have to say, I didn’t know what to expect here, because I didn’t care for your last submission. So when I put on your track, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I love this one! Very Amon Amarth-y riffing, LOVE the choirs, and I love the vocals as well. This is another of my favorites. *clicks repeat*

Menschenfeindlic-ooh yummy blackmetalness. I like the guitar tone, it’s not that stupid ear splitting tone that black metal always seems to have. The choirs are nice and subtle. The kick could stand to be raised a bit. Some of the guitars were off a little bit, but overall its pretty good.

MoonPenetrator-very nice. I was curious about the title at first, because it’s the title of one of my other favorite songs (Far From Home-FFDP, don’t judge), but this is nice and calming. The drumming is kinda jazzy, which is a neat touch. The choirs are nice, as always, and that end drum fill is sick.

Nightwisher1990-hmmm…I sense a little influence of your username, no? Those vocals are interesting. It sounds as if they are pitch shifted in places, but you make it work. The guitar tone is good, but the riffing seems to drag a little bit.

Odinallfather-To be honest, I really didn’t like this one. It sounded like you were trying to mix acoustic with black metal, and it doesn’t really work. The vocals aren’t that good either, it’s kind of a mumbling thing I don’t care for.

overkill666 and MercyfulKing-that song would have been pretty awesome had there been drums and vocals. Even with the sloppy playing, it fit well. I’d like to see this recorded with dual guitars, drums, and vocals.

ShaolinLambKiller-honestly, I didn’t like it at all. The guitar is so muddy you can’t even make out what’s going on. The drumming was good, but since I can’t even tell what’s going on, that didn’t make much of a difference. The vocals…they’re okay, but your lower growls are a bit iffy.

For my song...

The drums are Superior 2.0 with The Metal Foundry.
The choirs are ChoirZ by DSK.
Everything else (Cello, contrabass, strings sections, timpani) are DSK Overture, which is one of the best free programs there is.

I was heavily influenced by Hans Zimmer with this one, having listened to the "Inception" soundtrack over and over.

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:16 am 

well, to be honest Nightwish didn't influence me in doing this . As for riffs, i am glad that they didn't sound bad to most of you since i don't play guitar , and i hope that I write better and better stuff.
As for vocals no pitch shifting was used at all, except for a semi tone on the spoken part.
Anyway, thanks for everyone for the reviews.

Menschenfeindlic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:13 pm 

Here are my reviews:
bjornobomb : I don't know if it's done intentionally,but I didn't like the out of sync drums,the riffs are cool but need better production and playing.
vocals are the best thing done here,I liked them.

DecayingMyYouth : This is my favorite track.
it's one of those songs that all you have to do is sit back,relax and let the music take your mind away from this world.
The overall flow is smooth,except for the ending(maybe try to make it fade out).
I'm definitely interested in hearing you upcoming EP.

DemonofDarkness : You've done pretty good job here,the song reminds me of a band called "Cebren-Khal".
though everything is recorded neatly,the thin production is what keeping it away from standing out.
I would like to hear more like this.

Grimmig and iamntbatman : solid track,the guitar tone and the production totally fits the lyrics.
a little bit repetitive for my taste,but still enjoyable since it's not long.

guitartheist : you've done good job ,everything is well done.
not much to say,not my cup of tea.

Killedbyaforklift : I like how t feels,could have sounded more powerful with "heavier" guitar tone\production.

kingnuuuur : not much to say since it's midi,the songwriting is good...I would like to hear this recorded.

Lorde : I like the diversity in the songwriting,and the distorted vocals over the blasting part.
you really should record this.

mattp : the first thing that came to my mind when I read the band's name is Darkspace meets Amon Amarth :D
I like the keys,though they are covering the guitars.
it gets a bit repetitive after a while,some additional riffs or second guitar here and there could make it more interesting.

MoonPenatrator : it sounded to me like it's going to be a post black song,but it wasn't.
it too repetitive,except for the drums which were a spot on.
also good production.

Nightwisher1990 : The intro is interesting,but then it gets repetitive.
the guitars are low in the mix and the growling is a bit monotonous,it needs to be more dynamic.
I liked the part with the female vocals,I think it could have sounded better with a droning guitar in the back(or maybe it's there but way too low).

odinallfather : I don't know what to say here...sound like a good idea with bad execution.

overkill666 not much to say here too...good riffs ,but still it's unfinished song.

ShaolinLambKiller : though I'm not into this type of metal,but I liked what I heard,ultra heavy!
there are some cool riffs in the 4th song(Avenue for Lions),but the muddy guitars bury it in the mix.
it's impressive that you've managed to record 6 tracks EP in about 28 day.

That's all....again thanks for the reviews :)

Last.fm

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:41 pm 

Thanks everybody for reviews, but I didn't get the vocals point, is it that I had to do double layer of vocals or is it about other effects ? or the vocal performance ?

Edit: I had to make guitars low in the choruses cuz the guitarist did some death metal slides in the chorus and we had no time to change anything, so I had to make them as low as possible. If they were played as straight chords I'd make them as loud as verse.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:02 pm 

probably premature, anyone have any ideas for the next song challenge? I want to actually, you know, submit a fucking track.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
probably premature, anyone have any ideas for the next song challenge? I want to actually, you know, submit a fucking track.

I'm thinking about it, since there were some users in the previous topic who didn't find the challenge challenging enough, simply because writing and recording music is what they are normally doing anyways. I kinda share their sentiment, so I'm thinking about possibilities to spice things up a little. Perhaps I'll come with a few suggestions later.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:14 pm 

Duisterling wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

I'm thinking about it, since there were some users in the previous topic who didn't find the challenge challenging enough, simply because writing and recording music is what they are normally doing anyways. I kinda share their sentiment, so I'm thinking about possibilities to spice things up a little. Perhaps I'll come with a few suggestions later.

I know, we all have to write blackened power metal with lyrical themes of spam and acne. we can only use the top three strings of a bass and we have to play in drop B flat

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:34 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
I know, we all have to write blackened power metal with lyrical themes of spam and acne. we can only use the top three strings of a bass and we have to play in drop B flat

Good thing I've got a 5 string then.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next