* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:01 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
HumanWaste5150 wrote:
I just got through a few British series that I enjoyed quite a bit : Mock the Week, Coupling and Spaced.

Spaced is kinda cool - quirky and pretty original, though i'm concerned it gets too much credit. A better show with some of the same attributes is IDEAL, that show fucking owns for so many reasons. I command anyone reading this post to go watch it from episode one, to episode say, 4, and not get hooked on it - and watch the rest within a week or so. Can't happen - too good, too addictive.

My thoughts precisely! I found people going crazy over it but I enjoyed it enough to recommend it but people do fawn over it. I am a big fan of Ideal actually. I have only seen random episodes but its quite good in the same darker and quirky style of British humour.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 pm 

DrFunkenstein wrote:
Anyone a fan of the X Files? Started watching it a couple months ago (halfway through the fourth season). I never watched it when it was new, but I am really enjoying it.

Yes. The X-Files is one of my all time favorite shows. Another really great show that I would recommend to anyone who has ANY INTEREST AT ALL in science fiction would be Battlestar Galactica. It is so good. Other than that I watch some Star Trek here and there, various animated stuff and.... The food network. They make delicious looking things there.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:25 pm 

Yeah X-Files is great, i remember loving it when it came out, i was like 9 or 10 or something. I only have season 1 - need to get the rest, haven't watched any in a while. I love David Duchovny.

Anyway, speaking of the darker side of TV - I've recently started watching Tales from the Crypt again. I LOVE this show so much. Got all the episodes. Another one from my childhood, this show has really stood the test of time for me. From the star-studded casts, to the exploration of the darker side of human nature, the awesome set design, and of course the crypt keepers memorable, lame puns, this show has it all really.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:41 pm 

Dunno if any of you watch Frontline here. It's a pretty great journalistic series affiliated with PBS that I check out from time to time. They've got tons of fascinating programs on a wide variety of different subjects archived on their website, but I thought some of you might be interested in the piece linked below, which is a documentary on one man's experience undergoing medically assisted suicide. I thought it was very much worth sharing.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1430431984

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 pm 

We had to watch Frontline episodes in English in high school. They were okay, but nothing I'd watch again. Very dark humour.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:30 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
HumanWaste5150 wrote:
I just got through a few British series that I enjoyed quite a bit : Mock the Week, Coupling and Spaced.

Spaced is kinda cool - quirky and pretty original, though i'm concerned it gets too much credit. A better show with some of the same attributes is IDEAL, that show fucking owns for so many reasons. I command anyone reading this post to go watch it from episode one, to episode say, 4, and not get hooked on it - and watch the rest within a week or so. Can't happen - too good, too addictive.

My thoughts precisely! I found people going crazy over it but I enjoyed it enough to recommend it but people do fawn over it. I am a big fan of Ideal actually. I have only seen random episodes but its quite good in the same darker and quirky style of British humour.

I actually get nothing at all out of spaced. It's weird and different, but I can't find anything I'd actually laugh at.

whiplash50
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I loathe reality tv. Will not stand for it.

Ughh, my girlfriend watches this shit all the time and it annoys the hell outta me. I'll never understand the appeal as long as I live. Who cares if some fake tan sportin' walking STD's get into another fist fight about who misplaced the KY warming gel and margarita salt?

I stick to the old shit mainly, simpsons, sanford and son, wonder years, happy days, etc... or will watch all the stand up stuff on comedy central. Newer cartoons (family guy, american dad) are great too.

Also the occasional special about a bedbound fat fuck is a nice change up for comic relief.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:55 pm 

Hahaha, my girlfriend watches Jersey Shore too. Horrible, awful, retarded stuff, but actually pretty hilarious. I have absolutely zilch in common with these guido idiots - it's like we're from different planets. Utter trash TV - utterly worthless human beings.

Is anyone here into some of the lesser known British shows like Armando Iannucci Shows, Saxondale, 15 Storeys High? All excellent. I've been rewatching all the Armando Iannucci lately - the guy is a genius. Some of you may know his work from I'm Alan Partridge, etc. That show is odd, quirky, dark and purely hilarious - one of the smartest shows i've seen in a while.

Last edited by DeathRiderDoom on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unhallowed81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:26 pm 

I've been a faithful Dexter, and Californication watcher, but i'm ready for something new to catch my attention. Anymore i would rather watch some classic 80s, or 90s movie than watch some sitcom.

mythos_slayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:09 pm 

I love my Crime-Drama's, The Sopranos, OZ, Dexter, 24 to name a few.

What did everyone think of Boardwalk Empire?

I really liked it, not sure if I like it as much as The Sopranos, have to wait for a few more seasons.

All in all I was very pleased Buscemi finally had a good starring role that he deserved. (I also have hoped Christopher Walken could star in a similar Drama. Fingers crossed!)

I though it was a believable portrayal of gangster life in 1920's America (without prior knowledge what went on there at the time) and Buscemi did steal the show with his eccentric mannerisms that I like. Also Michael Pitt played his part well, but Stephen Graham outdid himself as Al Capone, couldn't even notice that a British actor was playing a (in?)famed Italian-American gangster in his youth.

All in all a great show and looking forward to the next season!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:15 pm 

mythos_slayer wrote:

I really liked it, not sure if I like it as much as The Sopranos, have to wait for a few more seasons.

All in all I was very pleased Buscemi finally had a good starring role that he deserved. (I also have hoped Christopher Walken could star in a similar Drama. Fingers crossed!)

I though it was a believable portrayal of gangster life in 1920's America (without prior knowledge what went on there at the time) and Buscemi did steal the show with his eccentric mannerisms that I like. Also Michael Pitt played his part well, but Stephen Graham outdid himself as Al Capone, couldn't even notice that a British actor was playing a (in?)famed Italian-American gangster in his youth.

Yeah i dunno BE looks okay, but really didn't reverberate with me as much as Sopranos. Not nearly as good, but i havent watched the whole thing so yeah. All i know is i've seen all the Sopranos a whole bunch of times each, and that i really dig it - one of the great dramas of the last decade or so.

Oz is also solid as the natural qualifier for Sopranos but, i'm only upto season 2.

mythos_slayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:31 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
mythos_slayer wrote:

Yeah i dunno BE looks okay, but really didn't reverberate with me as much as Sopranos. Not nearly as good, but i havent watched the whole thing so yeah. All i know is i've seen all the Sopranos a whole bunch of times each, and that i really dig it - one of the great dramas of the last decade or so.

Oz is also solid as the natural qualifier for Sopranos but, i'm only upto season 2.

I thought the same after a few episodes of BE, but after the finale it did rise up to a respectable standard for a Crime-Drama.

I agree with The Sopranos being great, watched it a third time a while ago and I still love it, especially the Pine Barrens episode. :D

Definitely watch all the OZ seasons, later on it almost seems like a Mexican Soap (partially of course) with the homo relations between a few of the characters but it is fun and amusing filled with sadistic betrayals. My favourite character still is Vern Schillinger, J. K. Simmons just makes that character so likeable in a weird way.:S

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 pm 

mythos_slayer wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
mythos_slayer wrote:

I thought the same after a few episodes of BE, but after the finale it did rise up to a respectable standard for a Crime-Drama.

I agree with The Sopranos being great, watched it a third time a while ago and I still love it, especially the Pine Barrens episode. :D

Definitely watch all the OZ seasons, later on it almost seems like a Mexican Soap (partially of course) with the homo relations between a few of the characters but it is fun and amusing filled with sadistic betrayals. My favourite character still is Vern Schillinger, J. K. Simmons just makes that character so likeable in a weird way.:S

Hahaha, great that you mention Pine Barrens - totally the epitome of black comedy right there. Thing about Sop - in that episode or others - is the level of quotable material - people like Paulie (who by the way, along with other actors in the show, actually has experience with New York area organised crime life) and others just have SO MANY memorable quotes and moments. I love the love/hate relationship with Paulie and Christopher - soooo funny. I think i've watched through the whole thing like 7-8 times.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:38 pm 

I just watched three episodes of "Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura". I would seriously vote for the guy if he ran in the next Presidential election. He's not the brightest person, but I love how he has no loyalty at all to any political party. As for the show: there <i>are</i> some ridiculous moments. The "investigators" will just run up to some rent-a-cop, shove a camera in his face, and accuse him of being part of an insanely complex conspiracy. The dude is obviously going to be startled by the wild questions and will only <i>seem</i> to be lying due to stuttering and nervousness. Overall, though, it's an interesting show and they do find some credible people to interview.

mythos_slayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:10 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
mythos_slayer wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
mythos_slayer wrote:

Hahaha, great that you mention Pine Barrens - totally the epitome of black comedy right there. Thing about Sop - in that episode or others - is the level of quotable material - people like Paulie (who by the way, along with other actors in the show, actually has experience with New York area organised crime life) and others just have SO MANY memorable quotes and moments. I love the love/hate relationship with Paulie and Christopher - soooo funny. I think i've watched through the whole thing like 7-8 times.

Thanks for the info, didn't know about the actors having experience with real crime life, but it makes sense.

I guess that might be a thing that BE lacks is input for gangsters from that era compared to Sop..unless they found some 100 year old mobsters to help out with the series.:S

I agree with the Paulie-Christopher relationship:D. Christopher was my favourite character the first two times I saw it, but recently I really noticed Furio, he's such a bad ass especially when Tony sends him to "sort" out the guy with the Korean wife. That guy will do anything to make someone pay their debts:D.

MrMcThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:20 am 

Well, let's see...
I absolutely LOVE King of the Hill. I don't think it should have been replaced with The Cleveland Show, that show sucks balls.
Also love It's Always Sunny and Seifeld, which are probably my favorite tv shows ever. Curb is good too.
The only TV drama I liked was 24. I almost cried at the finaly.
Pawn Stars is awesome, probably the only reality show I cared about besides Verminators. Anybody else watched that show?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:27 am 

I've been up all night watching Psych re-runs on Netflix. It is a very enjoyable show and it gets better season after season. The interplay between Gus and Shawn is hilarious (of course) and even when an episode is mediocre it allows for the episode to be just as enjoyable as any other.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:31 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
I just watched three episodes of "Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura". I would seriously vote for the guy if he ran in the next Presidential election. He's not the brightest person, but I love how he has no loyalty at all to any political party. As for the show: there <i>are</i> some ridiculous moments. The "investigators" will just run up to some rent-a-cop, shove a camera in his face, and accuse him of being part of an insanely complex conspiracy. The dude is obviously going to be startled by the wild questions and will only <i>seem</i> to be lying due to stuttering and nervousness. Overall, though, it's an interesting show and they do find some credible people to interview.

This show :roll:. I'm still good friends with my ex, and the past couple of times she's been in town, away from school, she's brought this show up, and I can't help but mock it.

*in my best Jesse Ventura impression* "I'm out to get answers! I'll wrestle the truth out of these people hiding it! They don't want us to know the truth, but we're gonna find out! They want to shoot a former US governor! There's a conspiracy against me!" etc.

I was actually interested in conspiracy theories, and paranormal and cryptozoology stuff for that matter, until shows like this and Monsterquest and Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures came along and completely ruined my fascination with these topics. Throughout these shows they build up the suspense by showing some evidence and interviewing some eyewitnesses or experts, and you expect them to answer or find whatever they're looking for by the end, but they don't find or answer anything definitively!!! So the whole show ends up looking like a major waste of time and money, and that really pisses me off :fuck:. They are no better than reality shows like Jersey Shore and whatever crap VH1 spews up.

blob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:16 am 

I Love "How I met your Mother", haven't watched a single episode that's not funny. And I also enjoy 2 and a half men and The Simpsons. And Southpark too.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 am 

I haven't really watched TV since Seinfeld ended. Don't have cable anymore and haven't for years. I have watched two series in the past couple years via rental though - Battlestar Galactica and Rome. BSG was incredible until the end, which was brutal in my opinion. Rome was incredible, but I think they're funding got cut and so it was shorter than the producers had intended, but still awesome.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 pm 

It just struck me that Gareth from The Office (UK) would, in all likelihood, be a total black metal geek.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:38 pm 

Anyone heard of this new BBC sitcom "Whites"? http://bluenunblog.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... es-sitcom/
As per British comedy conventions - its an incestuous cast including familiar faces from shows such as IT crowd and Peep Show (both solid comedies), and is co-written by one of the actors from Peep Show too. I've watched the trailer and it seems decent enough. I'll be getting the episodes as they come out. Soooo many good British sitcoms.

ahsanxr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 pm 

As much as I'd like to be more "productive" in breaks, in recent ones I end up spending most of the time watching TV series. Here are some of the ones I've watched and like so far:

Prison Break: Awesome show oozing with suspense and thrill. The first season was amazing, the later ones were good and definitely more than watchable.

24: Finishing the 8 seasons definitely took a while but I definitely enjoyed it. I especially loved seasons 1,5 and 7. Season 8 got really repetitive although not bad. The best part about it is that if you have too much free time on your hands, open up a pack of Doritos get a can of soda and start watching. You won't even notice the fly by.

Breaking Bad: Simply amazing crime drama. The main characters are awesome (Walter and Jesse), the story is exciting and the atmosphere the show creates is also great. I can't wait for the fourth season to come out although it definitely is taking more than its time.

Dexter: Seasons 1, 2 and 4 were really good. 3 was decent and 5 in my opinion simply sucked. After the chilling ending of Season 4 it was sooo disappointing. Lumen ruined it for me. The story was decent and if executed properly it could have been a pretty good season. My main problem with it was the way Lumen acted wasn't really something you would expect from someone who had been through all that. Also the "darkness" coming and going seemed like horseshit to me. I'm glad though that this season won't have any effect on the next seasons because they basically pressed "reset" at the end of the finale and things went back to the way they were at the start of the season.

The Wire: Only seen the first season but I can say without any hesitation that its the best written show ever.

OZ: On the 4th season right now. I really like the gritty prison drama although in recent seasons it has become relatively unrealistic and like a previous poster mentioned, a bit soapy with all the homo relations. The Schillinger vs Beecher saga never ceases to entertain me.

Other than these dramas I also like watching comedies among which my favorites are Scrubs, The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Scrubs was brilliant especially for the first 5 or 6 seasons. I loved the silly/goofy kind of humor they had going. The Office is also consistently good although it can sometimes have episodes which don't make me laugh. CYE is simply brilliant. Watching Larry David getting into all those weird and messed up situations with the self-obsessed people of Hollywood is nothing short of hilarious.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Anyone heard of this new BBC sitcom "Whites"? http://bluenunblog.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... es-sitcom/
As per British comedy conventions - its an incestuous cast including familiar faces from shows such as IT crowd and Peep Show (both solid comedies), and is co-written by one of the actors from Peep Show too. I've watched the trailer and it seems decent enough. I'll be getting the episodes as they come out. Soooo many good British sitcoms.

Definitely gonna check it out, looks great.

On the topic of Ianucci, I like Thick of It and Oblarg likes it quite a bit as well. Doesn't hold a candle to Yes, Prime/Minister though and I think even Ianucci knows that :P.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:09 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Definitely gonna check it out, looks great.

On the topic of Ianucci, I like Thick of It and Oblarg likes it quite a bit as well. Doesn't hold a candle to Yes, Prime/Minister though and I think even Ianucci knows that :P.

Hahah really? I remember Yes Minister when i was a kid, and i think i watched it a bit a few years ago - but man Thick of It is a pretty classy show i reckon. Those self -involved, image-obsessed ministerial types facing shitstorms every day, hahahaha. Has some familiar cast members too.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm 

blob wrote:
I Love "How I met your Mother", haven't watched a single episode that's not funny. And I also enjoy 2 and a half men and The Simpsons. And Southpark too.

HIMYM is probably the best sitcom on the air. Everys single episode has a great story and is funny as hell. I always laugh for forty minutes straight whenever Marshal slaps Barney. The last few episodes have been some of the best IMO, especially the one with the in-show countdown.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:08 am 

Two and a Half Men? How I met your mother? hmmm...... seems like you really don't know what constitutes a "best sitcom on TV".

EpsilonVector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:57 pm 

There's tons of terrific stuff on TV. I mostly watch comedy and fiction, of which:

Shows I watched fully (and enjoyed):
Friends, Seinfeld, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Married... with Children, Freaks and Geeks (a real gem (comedy/drama). Too bad it was cancelled in the 1st season), Southpark (though they lost it after the 9th season), Wonderfalls (another one of those shows that got cancelled after 1 season, though luckily that 1 season contains a standalone story. This is comedy/drama with a few paranormal twists. Has a very "life has a sense of humor" kind of humor. Reminded me of Dead Like Me, but without the suckiness that quickly befell it),
24, anything by Joss Whedon (though I never finished Angel, mostly because it seemed to have gone to hell around the 3rd season), Futurama, Star Trek TNG and DS9 (really hated TOS. It did not age well), Andromeda (yet another show spoiled by the TV network's idiocy. Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome, 3 and 4 uninspired, and then on the 5th season they suddenly completely changed format, mostly for the best), first 2 seasons of Sliders were great, the rest was just disappointment after disappointment (Fox's idiocy at work).

I also liked The Guild (a web series), and Beauty And The Geek (one of the few reality shows that has some "educational" value. It's a good study of stereotypes and social interactions).

In the queue:
Star Trek: VOY and Enterprise, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, all the Stargates, finish Lost, Eureka, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:00 am 

QI is just awesome. It doesn't help that I have a total mancrush on Stephen Fry but I'm through 2 seasons so far and its such a fun and witty show.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 am 

Whose Line Is It Anyway? and good ole' Mythbusters have to be my two favorites. Who else saw Kari wearing that Venom shirt, anybody?!
Also like South Park and basically anything on Discovery that's Earth/Life/Space related. Fucking sucks me right in.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:47 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:
Whose Line Is It Anyway? and good ole' Mythbusters have to be my two favorites. Who else saw Kari wearing that Venom shirt, anybody?!
Also like South Park and basically anything on Discovery that's Earth/Life/Space related. Fucking sucks me right in.

That wasn't a real Venom shirt, sorry to break the news! We've cleared that up here on MA before, or was it the chat? Not sure.

Also been watching a lot of Mythbusters lately. Cool show, some great stunts have been attempted. Been watching Treme today. Anyone here familiar with this show? Not bad at all, glad it got picked up for another season. Anyway, those into the music side of New Orleans oughtta love it. I think it's fairly well done.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:51 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
That wasn't a real Venom shirt, sorry to break the news! We've cleared that up here on MA before, or was it the chat? Not sure.

O_O
I've been dooped?
Now I'm sad.

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Also been watching a lot of Mythbusters lately. Cool show, some great stunts have been attempted. Been watching Treme today. Anyone here familiar with this show? Not bad at all, glad it got picked up for another season. Anyway, those into the music side of New Orleans oughtta love it. I think it's fairly well done.

Just googled it. Looks cool, too bad I don't get HBO =(

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am 

BoltTheGates wrote:
bassistneededlolnot wrote:

This show :roll:. I'm still good friends with my ex, and the past couple of times she's been in town, away from school, she's brought this show up, and I can't help but mock it.

*in my best Jesse Ventura impression* "I'm out to get answers! I'll wrestle the truth out of these people hiding it! They don't want us to know the truth, but we're gonna find out! They want to shoot a former US governor! There's a conspiracy against me!" etc.

I was actually interested in conspiracy theories, and paranormal and cryptozoology stuff for that matter, until shows like this and Monsterquest and Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures came along and completely ruined my fascination with these topics. Throughout these shows they build up the suspense by showing some evidence and interviewing some eyewitnesses or experts, and you expect them to answer or find whatever they're looking for by the end, but they don't find or answer anything definitively!!! So the whole show ends up looking like a major waste of time and money, and that really pisses me off :fuck:. They are no better than reality shows like Jersey Shore and whatever crap VH1 spews up.

I watched two episodes of Conspiracy Theory. One where there was a machine in Alaska that supposedly could change weather and one on 9/11. I quit watching after that. I watched Loose Change like 5 or so years ago, and after watching a thing on National Geographic about the conspiracy vs truth, I just want to hit those guys that think its a conspiracy. There were three conspiracy theorists that given more than enough evidence, yet they still didnt believe it.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:31 pm 

whiplash50 wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
I loathe reality tv. Will not stand for it.

Ughh, my girlfriend watches this shit all the time and it annoys the hell outta me. I'll never understand the appeal as long as I live. Who cares if some fake tan sportin' walking STD's get into another fist fight about who misplaced the KY warming gel and margarita salt?

I stick to the old shit mainly, simpsons, sanford and son, wonder years, happy days, etc... or will watch all the stand up stuff on comedy central. Newer cartoons (family guy, american dad) are great too.

Also the occasional special about a bedbound fat fuck is a nice change up for comic relief.

Reality TV is a fucking plague. I understood why it was on when all the writers were striking, since they didn't need a script for it,but the amazing thing is people kept on watching this retarded garbage and it became popular.

I watch mainly crime related shit, like Forensic Files, North Mission Road, and stuff like True Stories of the ER, I shouldn't be alive, and any other shows about people dying, nearly dying, or being sick, heh. As for fictional series, I sometimes watch House, Law and Order (mostly SVU, but I'll watch any of them), eh, that's about it I guess. I hate sitcoms. Cartoons: I like Family Guy but somehow I hate American Dad. I watch South Part sometimes, and Aqua teen hunger force. I also watch a lot of the stupid "top 100 [whatever] videos" and "i love the [insert decade]" on vh1 for nostalgic reasons (including nostalgia for the times mtv and vh1 played actual music...).
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:24 pm 

Reality TV's been around for a lot longer than that, dude. And let me say that it is just pure garbage. Muff cabbage, even.

Anyhoo, watched some season 5 The Wire last night with a friend of mine who's watching it through for the first time. Great stuff - need to do a marathon of that, or Breaking Bad with him sometime. All set to watch Generation Kill - over again. I've only watched it through once and that was over a year ago. Anyone else like that show?

I can't understand how people can like Family Guy and NOT American Dad. The latter is actually quite a smart show. I admit, that when it first came out, i was pretty skeptical - it seemed to mirror Family Guy, which just mirrored the Simpsons - in terms of having a character for ever person in the household etc. But it's actually very well written, and funny. The stories are great, they feel original, and we don't have the over reliance on cutaways or gags that Fam Guy has. Having an alien (no less a drunk, drug using, effiminate, borderline gay, persona switching, movie referencing alien), plus Stan's career in the CIA opens up a world of opportunities for great stories, much like how the future universe did for Futurama (great show). Anyway, i definitely recommend American Dad - far better than Fam Guy, and it hasn't begun to slip in quality since its inception - actually it keeps getting better.

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 am 

Lately, I've been watching mostly animated shows. My all time favorite animated show is definitely King of the Hill. I know very few people who really like this show as much as I do, and I can't seem to understand why that is. King of the Hill was excellently done. The Hills perfectly parody the average American family. It stayed consistently funny throughout it's entire run without having to become as crude as most adult-oriented cartoons. And usually every episodes ends with the characters learning something and becoming closer together. I really wish Fox would have kept this show around for another few seasons instead of giving Seth MacFarlane three shows during the same block (American Dad and The Cleveland Show have pretty similar ratings as King of the Hill did).

Other shows I enjoy are South Park (seasons 1-8), Star Trek: The Original Series, Gundam Wing, Looney Toons, The Office (although it started slipping in season five, and has seen a general decline ever since), classic Simpsons.

Shows I don't care for so much include: Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, and most reality shows and day time talk shows.

As for this current season's new shows, the show I've really been enjoying watching is Outsourced. It's quickly become my favorite NBC comedy, but unfortunately now that NBC has moved it's time slot, it looks like it may be canceled after this season. It's a shame.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:57 pm 

I can't stand KOTH - never saw the appeal, It lways seemed like one of those shows that people just watch coz it's on the air. Possibly the most un-funny out of all the adult-oriented animated shows.

Two new shows i've checked out recently include MonsterQuest in history channel, and Penn & Teller: Bullshit, both of which are pretty enjoyable. I mean, i never expect them to find any of these monsters they're looking for, and it's kinda odd that it's on History channel (they've been progressively veering away from real "historical" shows for some time now), but it's kinda entertaining to hear all the anecdotes from locals about these demonic creatures, and whatnot. Penn & Tellers show is just a rather fun, straightforward, highly, highly cynical and inflammatory look at, and debunking of, things like alternative medicine and idiots like John Edward. It's presented in a fun sorta way, though what they're saying is often just common knowledge for a lot of people. Anyway, i'll probably try get hold of more episodes of these shows.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 pm 

I'm gonna kick your ass! /Hank Hill voice

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 am 

The fact you like Bullshit tempers my reaction a little. Fair warning, if you're not a libertarian, some episodes won't sit too well; then again, that's there intent. Otherwise, you'll enjoy that show immensely. Personal favorite episodes: New Age Medicine, Numbers, Easy Money, PETA, World Peace, Hair, College.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
I can't stand KOTH - never saw the appeal, It lways seemed like one of those shows that people just watch coz it's on the air. Possibly the most un-funny out of all the adult-oriented animated shows.

You are missing the point. It's not about funny qua funny. It's about "funniness". There's something beyond the standard joke formula. There's just something quirky, charming and ultimately very very funny about the show. Stick with your Family Guy or Robot Chicken or something else quick and stupid.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║