Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:37 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
I would like to see some suggestions on microphones for lead vocals.

* Singing style : Mid to low raspy shrieks (example : David Vincent on Altars Of Madness)
* Looking for a full bodied, saturated, yet natural sound.
* Main application - recording.
* Price range, up to 200 $.

Save up a bit more and get the Shure SM7b. It is one of the best vocal mics ever, and is around $350 new. Might as well spend a bit more and get the best, vs settling for something that will leave you wanting more.

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:33 pm 

Dark Belial wrote:
Alaphlosiam wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:
Alaphlosiam wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:
hey, I am trying to form a brutal death metal band, and I'd like to know how to make my vocals even more unintelligible, like Suffocation, Effigy of the Forgotten era. obviously my age with affect this I think since I'm 15

I've read somewhere that it's unwise to try extreme vocals at a young age, unless you really want to risk damaging your throat. I'd wait till 16 or 17.

. . . . . I guess that's why I've been coughing up spewtem lately? meh

What the hell is spewtem?

Sounds kinda like spew and phlegm... Not sure.

sure is, but it turns out it went away after 3 days, and my extreme vocals aren't the cause. The doctor gave me some medicine, and I shall be fine.
*whew*

Dark Belial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:29 am 

MasterpieceMesias wrote:
Dark Belial wrote:
Alaphlosiam wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:
Alaphlosiam wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:
hey, I am trying to form a brutal death metal band, and I'd like to know how to make my vocals even more unintelligible, like Suffocation, Effigy of the Forgotten era. obviously my age with affect this I think since I'm 15

I've read somewhere that it's unwise to try extreme vocals at a young age, unless you really want to risk damaging your throat. I'd wait till 16 or 17.

. . . . . I guess that's why I've been coughing up spewtem lately? meh

What the hell is spewtem?

Sounds kinda like spew and phlegm... Not sure.

sure is, but it turns out it went away after 3 days, and my extreme vocals aren't the cause. The doctor gave me some medicine, and I shall be fine.
*whew*

Well that's good!

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:10 am 

i'm primarily a clean vocalist, but i can do some mid and high level screams (on a good day) but I have a hell of a time with growls. Does anyone have good tips for making/sustaining a growl?

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:18 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
i'm primarily a clean vocalist, but i can do some mid and high level screams (on a good day) but I have a hell of a time with growls. Does anyone have good tips for making/sustaining a growl?

well. . . it's kind of hard to describe, but you have to use the throat to kind of get the tone, like the skinfold in the larynx to rumble in order for you to get the proper tone

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:12 am 

MasterpieceMesias wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

well. . . it's kind of hard to describe, but you have to use the throat to kind of get the tone, like the skinfold in the larynx to rumble in order for you to get the proper tone

This hurts my throat when i do this, what i guess i'm asking is how to avoid this

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Alaphlosiam
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

This hurts my throat when i do this, what i guess i'm asking is how to avoid this

You're probably constricting your throat too much, then. It's hard to explain, but basically, just try to use less throat and more diaphragm.
Do you realize that more Americans were killed by Great White than by the Iraqi Army in Gulf War 1?

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 pm 

Alaphlosiam wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

You're probably constricting your throat too much, then. It's hard to explain, but basically, just try to use less throat and more diaphragm.

yep, whether you're a screamer, shriker or growler you always use your gut, otherwise you'll rape you vocal chords. . . just ask my friend, his band needed a new vocalist after 3 years lol and he now plays bass.
uh yeah speaking of screaming, how exactly do you produce a hardcore/metalcore scream? I can't do those, I can do toilet spew death metal vocals and shagrath shrieks easily but I can't scream worth a shit.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:54 pm 

MasterpieceMesias wrote:
Alaphlosiam wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

yep, whether you're a screamer, shriker or growler you always use your gut, otherwise you'll rape you vocal chords. . . just ask my friend, his band needed a new vocalist after 3 years lol and he now plays bass.
uh yeah speaking of screaming, how exactly do you produce a hardcore/metalcore scream? I can't do those, I can do toilet spew death metal vocals and shagrath shrieks easily but I can't scream worth a shit.

Hardcore/metalcore scream? I think most of that is in the production, haha.

Just pretend that you're talking like an awesome tough guy and the vocals for the genre are easier.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:02 am 

there's a video on youtube by Aransquires that shows how to death growl. (not metalcore growl, the real deathy death growl of death)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFeYs2Fee2Y

Kerber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
there's a video on youtube by Aransquires that shows how to death growl. (not metalcore growl, the real deathy death growl of death)

Yeah that video helped me start.

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 pm 

Arkhane wrote:

well sorry dude , that video is just useful it lacks real helpful tips, the guy is pretty pro but his tips aren't useful.
-Ecliptic Dawn [My Gothic Metal project]
http://eclipticdawn.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/Ecliptic.Dawn.Sy

Everything is downloadable on Bandcamp.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:57 pm 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Arkhane wrote:

well sorry dude , that video is just useful it lacks real helpful tips, the guy is pretty pro but his tips aren't useful.

theyr not supposed to hold your hand through the whole learning process. he explains the basics to get you started and thats it. otherwise if you cant learn, then you need a teacher or tutor

Nightwisher1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Arkhane wrote:

theyr not supposed to hold your hand through the whole learning process. he explains the basics to get you started and thats it. otherwise if you cant learn, then you need a teacher or tutor

He's just teaching it wrong, he didn't mention the diaphragm breathing, also, he said "Tighten your throat" and seemed like telling "everything comes from throat just push hard on it and the only USEFUL thing that he mentioned was "If it hurts try other way" .
I can do deep growls and vocal fry, and I am trying to learn some more stuff. but this guy is an extremely good vocalist (from his covers) but he's explaining wrong stuff. it's obvious.
-Ecliptic Dawn [My Gothic Metal project]
http://eclipticdawn.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/Ecliptic.Dawn.Sy

Everything is downloadable on Bandcamp.

worrywart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:49 am 

I just got a lavalier (Shure SM11), and there's just no volume at all. Turning up the gain in recording helps, but there's also a huge hiss problem that arises from doing this. Also, phantom power has no effect, one way or the other.

Hopefully somebody cruises this thread who knows a thing or two about mics and can help me out.

You need somebody to do some vocals? I'm always available.

Alaphlosiam
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:57 am 

I tried doing a vocal cover of Celtic Frost's "Dethroned Emperor" recently. Thoughts? Also, disregard any stupid shit I do, like air mic, air guitar, faces, etc. :P
Do you realize that more Americans were killed by Great White than by the Iraqi Army in Gulf War 1?

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 am 

Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
Nightwisher1990 wrote:
Arkhane wrote:

He's just teaching it wrong, he didn't mention the diaphragm breathing, also, he said "Tighten your throat" and seemed like telling "everything comes from throat just push hard on it and the only USEFUL thing that he mentioned was "If it hurts try other way" .
I can do deep growls and vocal fry, and I am trying to learn some more stuff. but this guy is an extremely good vocalist (from his covers) but he's explaining wrong stuff. it's obvious.

the sound does come from your throat though. if you look around on other directions and instructions, they all place an overwhelming emphasis on using your diaphragm to create the sound when your diaphragm is merely a breathing tool. and yes, you do have to use some muscle's in your throat, but i see what your saying. he wants you to tighten it, which is really kind of unecessary cause a death growl comes out pretty easily, you just need to push the air through once you got the basic concept.

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:32 pm 

also, something very small but kind of annoying. When I'm doing toilet-spew goregrind/brutal death vocals and try to pronounce an e I produce this squeal-y sound and there seems to be no way for me to stop it. Is there any way it'll go away.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:03 pm 

MasterpieceMesias wrote:
also, something very small but kind of annoying. When I'm doing toilet-spew goregrind/brutal death vocals and try to pronounce an e I produce this squeal-y sound and there seems to be no way for me to stop it. Is there any way it'll go away.

thats an exhaled pig squeal. congrats, i here that a lot of people have a hard time getting that.

My only guess on how to get rid of it is to relax your throat a little bit while pronouncing the long E. otherwise, you might have to change the "EEE" to an "-AY". for example, instead of saying "Bow before meee", try "Bow before m-ay".

Kerber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:58 am 

Arkhane wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:

thats an exhaled pig squeal. congrats, i here that a lot of people have a hard time getting that.

My only guess on how to get rid of it is to relax your throat a little bit while pronouncing the long E. otherwise, you might have to change the "EEE" to an "-AY". for example, instead of saying "Bow before meee", try "Bow before m-ay".

Exhaled Pig Squeals aren't that hard really.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 am 

Kerber wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:

Exhaled Pig Squeals aren't that hard really.

took me a while to get them back when i was into grindcore and deathcore, and i also got asked numerous amount of times if i knew how to do it from ppl that could inhale. i guess it depends on the person...

Bonged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:48 pm 

Anyone have any tips for doing vocals while playing an instrument? I play bass and I don't want to get a vocalist because I've always wanted to do vocals but I don't know if I am up for it. I still have to get a stand for my mic but any suggestions such as posture, mic placement, vocal style? I want to do growls but should I do more of a half spoken/growled style in order for it to come out easier so I don't mess up?

Alaphlosiam
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 am 

Bonged wrote:
Anyone have any tips for doing vocals while playing an instrument? I play bass and I don't want to get a vocalist because I've always wanted to do vocals but I don't know if I am up for it. I still have to get a stand for my mic but any suggestions such as posture, mic placement, vocal style? I want to do growls but should I do more of a half spoken/growled style in order for it to come out easier so I don't mess up?

Practice, practice, and more practice.

Hells_Chapel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:53 pm 

Alaphlosiam wrote:
Bonged wrote:

Yeah, just practicing is about the best thing you can do until you can play the song without thinking about it.

For posture, really anything works, you won't be able to headbang or other stuff as much as someone who just plays or just sings, which can be a little bad since singer is usually the frontman, and expected to be the most energetic, still you can do all the energetic stuff while your just playing, (during solos, pauses in the singing).

I would suggest watching live videos for slayer and deicide for mic placement, as they both have a singer that's also the bassist, also watch videos for bands with a singer/guitarist, as it will be pretty much the same thing.

Do the vocal style that you like the most, don't change them because you want to play and sing at the same time. Just work on it until your ready, its worth it.

I would also look up techniques they use with saxophone for breathing, and breath exercises. These are useful for any singer, but especially anything growled or shrieked vocals, will help you get longer growls and phrases.

Anyway, hope this is useful for you, and good luck with your band.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 am 

I've got some questions regarding vocals. First of all, I'm completely self ''trained''. I started to sing along to music 2-3 years ago and from then started to take singing more serious. Nowadays I warm my voice a bit up, but still need some help. I can hit notes, but don't really like my tone. I think my voice, (mostly on mid range) sounds quite dry and lacks energy. Anyway, speaking of vocal range:

-On a good day when I'm singing with everything that I have, like if you'd use falsetto (using chest voice?) I can hit the high notes in Fates Warning's ''Silent Cries''. This is probably the highest I can go so far.

-Singing more ''in control'', as if you'd speak to someone and go higher in pitch, (head voice?) I can hit the high note in chorus of Black Sabbath's ''Headless Cross''.

-Lowest notes that I recall are similiar to Nick Holmes. Think of his vocals in ''As Horizons End'' chorus, lowest vocal lines on ''Icon'' album. That ''warm'''sounding low notes.

So my questions, as in a list are:

-How to improve tone?
-What kind of voice do I have? I guess something in the ''middle'' of vocal types.
-How do I take good care of my voice?
-Which things should I never do to keep my voice in good shape?

Thanks in advance and in case you're wondering, I don't smoke. :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:17 pm 

Colin, to improve your tone you almost certainly need help from a trained vocal instructor. Only a singing prodigy can master his vocal resonance with self-training. If you haven't ever got any basic tips which I doubt considering how frequently you post here about your vocals, here are some.

Nasal resonance. Shouldn't be hard. Learn to sing "from your nose", then adjust the amount of nasal resonance so that the result is not excessively nasal but enough so. Find a balance.

Breath deep when you sing. Not so you pass out from just inhaling, but use your diaphragm. Don't try to sing too loud. Forcing your voice affects your tone (makes it sound quite dumb really) and somewhat damages your vocal chords depending on how much you force it. Youtr voice becomes louder as your technique improves. Trained singers often say they don't use more breath for singing than they use for normal speaking, despite being able to drown out an entire choir of untrained singers with their voice.

That is a very important part of taking care of your voice. Try to sing like Bruce Dickinson and your voice will gradually fade.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:25 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Colin, to improve your tone you almost certainly need help from a trained vocal instructor. Only a singing prodigy can master his vocal resonance with self-training. If you haven't ever got any basic tips which I doubt considering how frequently you post here about your vocals, here are some.

Nasal resonance. Shouldn't be hard. Learn to sing "from your nose", then adjust the amount of nasal resonance so that the result is not excessively nasal but enough so. Find a balance.

Breath deep when you sing. Not so you pass out from just inhaling, but use your diaphragm. Don't try to sing too loud. Forcing your voice affects your tone (makes it sound quite dumb really) and somewhat damages your vocal chords depending on how much you force it. Youtr voice becomes louder as your technique improves. Trained singers often say they don't use more breath for singing than they use for normal speaking, despite being able to drown out an entire choir of untrained singers with their voice.

That is a very important part of taking care of your voice. Try to sing like Bruce Dickinson and your voice will gradually fade.

Thanks for your quick answer. Yeah, I guess that improving tone isn't the easiest thing to do. I've been thinking about getting singing lessons since I absolutely love to sing along to songs. Right now I've been singing without actually knowing what I was doing, sometimes pushed too far when my voice started to hurt, but this hasn't happend in months. I'm just hoping to get a decent voice with a fine range.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:23 pm 

i have the same problem with clean singing.... i despise the tone of my voice (self taught also) because it sounds bland and dry when i'm in midrange notes, especially when i dont hit vibrato. i figured i just need to find a technique that i like (went through the clean majestic style at 18, raspy alternative style at 19, and now im trying a classic sort of ICS Vortex style along with the majestic Mikael Akerfeldt again). haven't found a good style yet for me

metalheart555
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 pm 

I am desperately searching to join a band but here in Albania Metal bands are just a few unfortunately and Metal isn't very popular here.I am not a professional singer but i can sing in high notes,some compare me with Klaus Meine of Scorpions or Midnight of Crimson Glory but i think i need a lot of work and practice cos i often go wrong with the rhythm or forgot the words and i must say i am a bit shy or very emotional when i sing.Lately i participated to "Albanian Got Talent " with a ballad from Scorpions and i went to the second phase and after that i didn't make it.

Bonged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 pm 

Hells_Chapel wrote:
Alaphlosiam wrote:
Bonged wrote:

Yeah, just practicing is about the best thing you can do until you can play the song without thinking about it.

For posture, really anything works, you won't be able to headbang or other stuff as much as someone who just plays or just sings, which can be a little bad since singer is usually the frontman, and expected to be the most energetic, still you can do all the energetic stuff while your just playing, (during solos, pauses in the singing).

I would suggest watching live videos for slayer and deicide for mic placement, as they both have a singer that's also the bassist, also watch videos for bands with a singer/guitarist, as it will be pretty much the same thing.

Do the vocal style that you like the most, don't change them because you want to play and sing at the same time. Just work on it until your ready, its worth it.

I would also look up techniques they use with saxophone for breathing, and breath exercises. These are useful for any singer, but especially anything growled or shrieked vocals, will help you get longer growls and phrases.

Anyway, hope this is useful for you, and good luck with your band.

Thanks for the advice. I am gonna play guitar in a black metal band now so I guess I just have to work on my shrieks and screams more then growls but that might be for the better because when doing growls I tend to look down in order to get a deeper sound.

Razor_Shark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:59 pm 

Anyone have any advice for a singer trying to upload a vocal cover? I don't know much so I used my webcam to record me singing on Rock Band and this is my result http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrimusSucks?feature=mhum
Teguereguedêro dêdow Ô-Éhr-Ôhr-Êhr-Êhr-Áhr-Ó
Hé Hã He How

Focus - Hocus Pocus

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:03 pm 

Can anyone explain in detail how to do the high-pitched shrieking that Seth Putnam from Anal Cunt does? Or the high screams that Corpsegrinder and Blue Jensen from Guttural Secrete do?

Bonged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:17 am 

Seth Putnam just fucking screams. He doesn't do black metal like screams, its more human its just fucking yelling. His vocal style is so unique its really what defines AC.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:00 pm 

Razor_Shark wrote:
Anyone have any advice for a singer trying to upload a vocal cover? I don't know much so I used my webcam to record me singing on Rock Band and this is my result http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrimusSucks?feature=mhum

Not like that.

Obviously your web cam has a microphone on it. If nothing else, try using that, playing the song from your computer and singing over the top. I don't know much about rock band or anything, but from what I know the mics use a USB input? You may be able to plug a mic directly into your computer and record from there.

Ideally, you'd have a recording of the song itself playing underneath your singing, on a separate track so as to avoid the kind of noises you are getting currently.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:52 pm 

Any pointers on how to get a Napalm Death style grindy bark type sound? Like this kind of sound.

Is it just a case of singing low and "punching" with the diaphragm for a more aggression?

Crownless
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:50 am 

So, I have MixCraft 5 and I need a (relatively inexpensive) microphone that's compatible with it....any suggestions??

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 pm 

CannibalKid wrote:
Can anyone explain in detail how to do the high-pitched shrieking that Seth Putnam from Anal Cunt does? Or the high screams that Corpsegrinder and Blue Jensen from Guttural Secrete do?

yes that would be nice to know as i can nether hardcore scream or higher-pitch hardcore scream. I tried to do a Bjorn Strid (Soilwork) scream the other day and the ol' vocal chords didn't respond quite well. Not trying that one again.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 pm 

Does anyone have any advice on how to come up with vocal patterns for black metal? My vocals are fine,but I find myself always just following the guitar

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:48 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Does anyone have any advice on how to come up with vocal patterns for black metal? My vocals are fine,but I find myself always just following the guitar

Do you play any other instruments or anything?

I find having a knowledge about composition in general helps for this..as well as just listening to bands. They all do it...

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:49 pm 

---------
EDIT: Sorry, getting rid of no posts bug.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 44  Next