Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NuttersaurusRex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:15 pm 

GluttedOnNihility wrote:

Guys from Cattle Decapitation - My friend walked in right in the middle of a heated game of Mario Kart 64. After jokingly chiding him for messing them up, they lightened up and were apparently a ton of fun. My friend said he later went up against Dave in a game of Marvel VS Capcom 2.

New life goal; play Mario Kart 64 with Cattle Decapitation.

WolfieboyMachi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:16 pm 

Hircine wrote:
Never met a douchey musician, but I'm willing to bet that the singer of Harm's Way, a powerviolence/hardcore band I saw a while back is a bot of a twat. Straightedge, and overly muscular

I really don't see how being fit is relevant to being a douchebag...

The_Brohemoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:53 pm 

I've met few living in Los Angeles, most of which were cool....but the ones that stand out are:

COOL AS FUCK - Lemmy! It's a long story so I'll try and keep it brief. This musician dude I knew was having some serious health problems and a local promoter was doing a fund raiser to help with the medical bills. I was at the club helping out and was asked to go pick up some boots from Lemmy to raffle at his apartment. Long story short I got there and he invited me in and we got to shoot the shit for like an hour and I got the full tour of his WWII/weapons "memorabilia" (btw - he collects that stuff but is totally NOT a nazi/anti-semite...it's just something he was drawn to growing up in WWII/post-WWII England). Then he asked if he could hitch a ride with me back to the club. He asked me if I had heard "Inferno" and I had not so he grabbed a copy and brought it along. So I had Lemmy sitting shotgun in my Toyota Corolla playing air guitar giving me a track by track rundown of that album! Totaly surreal...I'll never forget that :) And after that I got to sit in with him at a "jam" in Hollywood...cool, cool fucker.

Also Bill Ward is like the nicest dude on the planet! My story with him was recent and kinda work related so I'll save all most of the details (but I wound up getting to jam with him one on one at a rehearsal studio - fucking awesome day! Another thing I'll never forget!).

DOUCHEBAG: - Mattias Jabs. About 10 or so years ago I was a waiter at a Deli in LA and he came in and he and his party sat in my station. He was like one of my childhood guitar hero's so I gave away all my other tables (it wasn't that busy) so I could give him great service. At some point after they were served and checked on I needed to hit the restroom, so I got another waiter to watch the table. I was gone no longer than a minute and a half when I return to find him standing up yelling "where is my service! where is my service"...then he ragged on me for a minute and totally stiffed me on the tip...real class act.

6Metal6Head6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:39 pm 

I don't have any negative experiences with any band members I've met.

David Vincent is a good friend of mine, so obviously he's my pick of the lot.

I've met all the guys from 3 Inches of Blood. Very cool group of guys. Drank many shots and played Big Game Hunter with Cam Pipes. Hung out with their old drummer Alexi Rodriguez a few times, cool dude.

Met all the guys from Devildriver on my 23rd. birthday back in '05. They're cool guys.

Met AND drank a bunch of New Castle with the guys from Flotsam and Jetsam. Also very cool.

The guys from Nihilist are from my home town. Hung out many times.

No douchebags...... so far.

-Wes

Last edited by 6Metal6Head6 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven_Whispers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:05 pm 

mentalendoscopy wrote:
Met James Lee after a show and he gave me a copy of "Echoes of Decimation" for free when I told him I would go and shake some money off my dad for a copy. Haha. The guitarist of my current was playing that show with his old band though and said they were all dicks. Odd.

I've heard that the guitarist of Misery Index is a dick, as well as the guitarist of Arsis, who the guitarist in MY band knows personally.

Which Misery Index guitarist? Because I never met Sparky while he was in the band but Kloeppel is a cool guy from what I saw of his stage presence and how he reacted to me front stage. And which Arsis guitarist? Was this when Knight was in the band(now in TBDM)? Because I can tell you that both Malone and Cordle arelike the nicest guys ever and I still talk to Nick on Facebook frequently. No offence but maybe your friend is either really oversensitive or he himself is a dick since he thinks alot of cool musicians with great PR are douches (even from your own experience with James Lee).

Agga40
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:39 pm 

I got to know Anthony from Vital Remains (2006-2007) on myspace, very cool and knowledgeable guy. I enjoyed talking metal and occultism with the dude, always had good insight on both matters and great conversation subsequently.

I chatted with Trey (Morbid Angel) on his chat box he had on his personal myspace page some time back. He is a very cool dude, spacey as fuck, but also cool as fuck too. We had a good conversation on Sumerian occultism and how much research he did prior to penning the lyrics for <i>Formulas..</i>. And for the record, even Trey hated <i>Domination</i>. Of course once the gamer kids flooded the chat I took my leave.

FUCK MAYHEM. Both times I met them they were aloof and arrogant cunts. Sorry Maniac, your vocals suck nuts, might wanna twist your ball sack harder on stage you twat.

Met Chuck Shulinder once, shook his hand, told him how influential his guitar work has been to me and he gave me a genuine thank you. Ill always remember that.

Once again, FUCK OFF MAYHEM! I think Im gonna head over to the Over rated bands thread and toss Mayhem on there. They had ONE good album, and that was when they actually WERE Mayhem, ie Euronymous was alive.

Agga40
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:51 pm 

MetalHeadNorm wrote:
A finally remembered a Douche bag encounter, but It's not from a Metal band. Okay, so about 2 months ago I go with the female down to Detroit to see the Misfits. This Jerry guy, HUUUUUUGE Douche bag. They're playing and everything. A bunch of people have climbed on the edge of the stage - about 7 or 8 ft up from the ground. A couple songs go by and nothing eventful, but then in the middle of maybe the 4th or 5th song this Douche stop playing and singing, signals his band to stop and then starts yelling into the mic 'GET OFF THE FUCKING STAGE!' Out of nowhere, kicks (literally, with his foot) this one chick off the stage and has her dragged out of the venue by security. Really man? Not even a warning?

Complete Douche.
I dont know if this Jerry guy was the Misfits singer, but I remember seeing them open for Megadeth back in '97 and the singer got into a few fights with the crowd. I remember thinking "what an amateur"

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 pm 

Jerry was the bass player and founding member of the Misfits; in fact I believe he is the ONLY remaining original member, if I'm right didnt his brother quit the band a few years back? I dunno who the singer is anymore; it was some guy "Michael Graves" last I checked but I honestly havent paid attention to the Misfits since they reformed without Danzig.

Jerry "Only" Caiafa was the catalyst for the band breaking up in the first place, as I understand. In fact, he was also responsible for firing the original guitarist (which apparently caused a bitter feud) just so he could bring his younger brother in.

Last edited by Oxenkiller on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:30 pm 

The_Brohemoth wrote:
COOL AS FUCK - Lemmy! It's a long story so I'll try and keep it brief. This musician dude I knew was having some serious health problems and a local promoter was doing a fund raiser to help with the medical bills. I was at the club helping out and was asked to go pick up some boots from Lemmy to raffle at his apartment. Long story short I got there and he invited me in and we got to shoot the shit for like an hour and I got the full tour of his WWII/weapons "memorabilia" (btw - he collects that stuff but is totally NOT a nazi/anti-semite...it's just something he was drawn to growing up in WWII/post-WWII England). Then he asked if he could hitch a ride with me back to the club. He asked me if I had heard "Inferno" and I had not so he grabbed a copy and brought it along. So I had Lemmy sitting shotgun in my Toyota Corolla playing air guitar giving me a track by track rundown of that album! Totaly surreal...I'll never forget that :) And after that I got to sit in with him at a "jam" in Hollywood...cool, cool fucker.

This sounds like a particularly awesome experience, especially the part about him playing Inferno and commenting on it. The Nazi and womanizing aspects of him are always intriguing, but there's not much that I enjoy more than hearing another writer talk about their work.

That and Inferno kicks ass :headbang:

The_Brohemoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
The_Brohemoth wrote:

This sounds like a particularly awesome experience, especially the part about him playing Inferno and commenting on it. The Nazi and womanizing aspects of him are always intriguing, but there's not much that I enjoy more than hearing another writer talk about their work.

That and Inferno kicks ass :headbang:

Indeed...Inferno Does kick ass! Overkill, Sacrifice and Inferno are my favs...

And he gave me the cd....I was gonna ask him to sign it but he was so personable and cool with the coversation and all I would have felt weird, ya know? I'm not a big autograph guy lol...

~Guest 160745
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:14 am 

tormentedfuck wrote:
Have meet , played shows with and hung out with hundreds of bands
the coolest and nicest were probally EXHUMED and IMPALED all those guys were very nice to everyone and they were a blast to hang out with.
Will rahmer is a great guy also.

Biggest dicks i ever met DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN
really the only ones i can think of , allmost knocked out there manager long story...

I've actually met Dillinger and they were nothing but nice, nabbed a few signatures as well.

Not metal but the nicest musician I've met is Jacob Bannon (Converge). True gentelman, so humble and soft spoken and as he's a hero of my mine was a special moment ha.

Land phil from Muncipal Waste is also rad, had a chat with him after their set over here back in 08 and got a few snaps. Believe he went looking for weed after the show, never do know if he got it, of course this was in Glasgow so I'd assume so.

Again non-metal but I shared pizza with a few members of Your Demise, then again the friend I was with knows alot of people within the UKHC scene.

grindcore12345
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:01 am 

karl sanders all though i did not met him in person he is a douche because he tryd to boot me on the face while they were playing

OldManMetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:27 am 

Ross Dolan and Alex Hernandez of Immolation were very cool guys. Alex really appreciated my helping load out his drums. Tim King From Oppressor was really great to talk to and to this day i'm a fan of that band.

The Dillinger Escape Plan guys were really nice. They were quite cool before the gig the first time i saw them. Ben Wienman came over and asked how i was doing after he busted my face open with his headstock on their last song since it was a very solid shot and i was bleeding all over.

Dave Mustaine was a bit of a smartass but it didn't bother me and since i read his book i understand why he was acting that way.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:44 am 

Watain. Love the band. But, when there were crowd surfers during their performance and they got close to the stage, they kicked them in the gut, really hard too. I almost shat myself when I saw that.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11 am 

cool guys = hellhammer of mayhem. he stopped hitting on my then gf when I told him she was mine haha

oranssi pazuzu = cool guys all around

heretic (netherlands) = very cool guys as well on a personal level, but what's with 'em cowboy boots thomas? :D

douchebags = thornium and black crucifixion. just scumbags, wanna-be rockstars, nothing more to add. plus thornium's main guy is a midget, and his session guys were like 19 and retarded too.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:56 pm 

Agga40 wrote:
Met Chuck Shulinder once, shook his hand, told him how influential his guitar work has been to me and he gave me a genuine thank you. Ill always remember that.

That's so awesome. How long ago was that? It's such a shame he passed away...4 days from now will be the 9 years from now...god why do the good ones always go first.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Agga40
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:10 pm 

Animicantus wrote:
Agga40 wrote:

That's so awesome. How long ago was that? It's such a shame he passed away...4 days from now will be the 9 years from now...god why do the good ones always go first.
It was at the Milwaukee Metalfest in 1998. He was doing some signing in the downstairs merchandise area. I was glad I wandered down there, didnt even know Chuck was doing that til I got in line for something else entirely. You know how fests can be, nothing is very organized and everything is sorta luck of the draw time wise. I met dude from Mortician in one of the bar areas that day too. Not the biggest fan of the band but he was a pretty cool dude. Chilled and talked metal while watching some unknown death metal band jam on the small stage.

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:14 pm 

I'm taking guitar lessons from Tymon Kruidenier of Cynic and Exivious, and I can put in word that he is a super nice fellow.
Also, Robin Zielhorst (also of Cynic and Exivious) is hysterical.

Chris Impellitteri was kind of a dick when I communicated with him over the internet, but he is a god to me nonetheless, and if he wasn't a dick he wouldn't be a true shredder in the eighties fashion.

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

Agga40
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:36 pm 

Acidchrist wrote:
I'm taking guitar lessons from Tymon Kruidenier of Cynic and Exivious, and I can put in word that he is a super nice fellow.
Also, Robin Zielhorst (also of Cynic and Exivious) is hysterical.

Chris Impellitteri was kind of a dick when I communicated with him over the internet, but he is a god to me nonetheless, and if he wasn't a dick he wouldn't be a true shredder in the eighties fashion.
Shit, you just reminded me of one other guy I actually know from taking guitar lessons from him, Dave Shenkle formerly of Manowar. Dude is intense but very cool. I know it was cool as fuck jamming the beginning of Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy with him for a bit in a lesson once. If anyone is in the Chicagoland area, he used to give lessons out of a place in Arlington Heights. I'm not sure if he does anymore, but Id look him up on myspace and shoot him a message about it if you're interested. If you're metal, he will teach you accordingly. He used to charge me $20 a lesson for 30 mins, which I didnt mind because of who he was to be honest.

Last edited by Agga40 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
vikingmetaler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:08 pm 

I have met Nergal, Orion, and Inferno of Behemoth.
They are all cool guys.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:44 am 

OldManMetal wrote:
Dave Mustaine was a bit of a smartass but it didn't bother me and since i read his book i understand why he was acting that way.

Writing a book about hating Metallica gives him the right to be a smartass?
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

6Metal6Head6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:20 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
OldManMetal wrote:

Yep.
As it does to anyone else too. :grin:

-Wes

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:27 am 

I met Jason Mendonca at the Dark Funeral + Akercocke gig in 09. He was a cool guy, definitely willing to talk to the fans. I managed to buy 'Rape Of The Bastard Nazarene' off him at the merch table, and my mate got a picture with him. I also managed to ask him about a new Akercocke album, which has seemingly been in the works for a few years now. I can't remember the exact words he said, but it was something along the lines of, "Don't ask" lol

While all this was going on, David Gray was sat on the benches next to the table with such a face on him, it looked pretty pissed off...didn't bother saying anything to him, cause he looked like he'd be a douche if you spoke to him.

super_ruben09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:14 pm 

The_Brohemoth wrote:

That sounds really awesome, must've been an incredible experience.

KingMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 pm 

grindcore12345 wrote:
karl sanders all though i did not met him in person he is a douche because he tryd to boot me on the face while they were playing

I've met Karl Sanders and he is the man.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:36 pm 

WolfieboyMachi wrote:
Hircine wrote:
Never met a douchey musician, but I'm willing to bet that the singer of Harm's Way, a powerviolence/hardcore band I saw a while back is a bit of a twat. Straightedge, and overly muscular

I really don't see how being fit is relevant to being a douchebag...

Generally if someone looks like this an is straightedge I'm willing to bet their not the nicest guy in the world...

I could of course, be generalizing the straightedgers I've known in the past of course...

EDIT: Balls, thanks!

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Last edited by Hircine on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6Metal6Head6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:58 pm 

Fixed that for ya.

Hircine wrote:
Generally if someone looks like this an is straightedge I'm willing to bet their not the nicest guy in the world...

I could of course, be generalizing the straightedgers I've known in the past of course...

-Wes

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:02 pm 

I'm friends with Daryl Kahan (Funebrarum/Disma/Abazagorath/Citizens Arrest/etc.) on Facebook and he's a real cool, nice guy. Really into old NYHC, and fucking hates poseurs. Told me to stay off drugs once. :lol:

OldManMetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 pm 

gestapothrash wrote:
OldManMetal wrote:

It was learning about the insanities of touring and his drug addictions of the time. He really didn't look like he was in the best of condition. To be honest he wasn't being an outright asshole, just being Mustane as we all knew him by reputation.

A few hours later i saw Megadeth absolutely blow away Dio.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:26 pm 

I met James Hetfield at an airport in Maui. He was really nice, and I enjoyed talking to him but I didn't say I'm not the biggest fan of Metallica :-)

Also met Opeth in San Diego, when they were still a four-piece. They were all really nice, and Akerfeldt kept saying how much he liked the beach in SD.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:41 pm 

Cool people I've met:
- Hellbastard: All of 'em are my buddies, especially Scruff. They gladly allow me to (half-assedly) interview 'em, talk about booze, politics/current events. Great guys.
- Seth Putnam: Surprisingly cool. Very restrained and generally coolheaded. We shot the shit over his upcoming projects, Heavy Metal Parking Lot, and Vaginal Jesus.
- Don "Lord Stomache" Decker: It's mildly creepy when the guy you're talking to coolly tells you he's barely got a year to live; it's further compounded when death claims him three months later. Nonetheless, he was a gentleman.
- Travis Ryan: I'm not a fan of Cattle Decapitation in the least, but when I met him, he was a cool guy. I even bought the Octomom t-shirt after first discussing his past projects.
- Randy Butman: A nice guy. We talked about his musical influences, the state of Death Metal, and other Metal related topics.
Surprisingly Douchey:
- Mike Williams: Aloof and somewhat curt. His facial expression indicated he didn't want to be bothered in the least.
-

BlastManStanding
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
Cool people I've met:
- Hellbastard: All of 'em are my buddies, especially Scruff. They gladly allow me to (half-assedly) interview 'em, talk about booze, politics/current events. Great guys.

Scruff is the man. Also pals with him on Facebook...I ordered The Need to Kill & Eco War from him direct & he threw in some extra goodies, including cds from his other projects. Very cool guy and funny as hell too.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:26 am 

OldManMetal wrote:

You speak blasphemies.

OldManMetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:21 am 

fetalfeast wrote:
OldManMetal wrote:

You speak blasphemies.

Las Vegas-UNLV Thomas and Mack arena 1988. Mustaine, Ellefson, Young, and Behler lineup were on ripping form that night and set the place alight with some severe guitar pyrotechnics. They were even faster and tighter than the records. Ronnie James Dio was a stellar frontman but his band couldn't top what came before.

As a matter of fact, i saw Yngwie Malmsteen give Dio a severe challenge a couple of years earlier at the same place. Only a lackluster vocalist kept Malmsteen from an upset as Dio came out blazing. I was disapointed as all hell that Vivian Campbell quit as Crag Goldy just didn't have the same fire. RJD was in especially fine form that night and pulled out all the stops for the win.

ScorchedEarth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm 

I met Cannibal Corpse, they were awesome.

I met Gwar, they were fucking hilarious. Some really short lady walked by and they were making fun of her so much, I remember them saying, "Wheres the rest of you, elf woman?" and "We will bake you into a pie!"

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:47 pm 

That Chris guy from Nyarlathotep is a real douche... He told me to suck my own dick at a show once.

2ndsicness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm 

ENKC wrote:
Out of interest, where do you even meet these people? I mean, even at small clubs here, the international acts will just go on, play, and leave.

That's a pity. I've experienced that lots of band members just hang out at the merch booths, in the bar or amongst fans.

I've got to interview Ross and Bob from Immolation, Jonas from Katatonia and Berney from Napalm Death. Very different personalities but they were all down to earth and had a lot of interesting things to say whether it was about funny tour stories, about crazy venues they'd played or just joking around.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:08 pm 

ScorchedEarth wrote:
I met Cannibal Corpse, they were awesome.

I met Gwar, they were fucking hilarious. Some really short lady walked by and they were making fun of her so much, I remember them saying, "Wheres the rest of you, elf woman?" and "We will bake you into a pie!"

expect nothing less from the guys with a song entitled "meat sandwich".

i never met them first hand, but akerfeldt and fredrik akesson strike me as cool guys. akerfeldt doesnt really pump the crowd much, but he carries small conversation with them and jokes around on stage. on their watershed tour with enslaved, akesson caught me moshing and spinning my hair about 3 heads back from the front of the stage in san antonio and threw me a cornuto every now and then rest of the show.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:21 am 

I've never met anyone that turned out douchebaggy at any point. Granted, a good chunk of the people I've met approached me in the first place to ask about my guitar and such, and an even more sizable chunk of the people I've met were when I was only like 16 (And nobody wants to be rude to a kid, right?)

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:15 am 

ask the people who wrote all the dead baby jokes.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next