Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 am 

After playing a second hand Pearl kit for almost 8 years now, I think it's about time for a new one. Not sure what brand I'll get yet, though I was leaning towards a Pearl again, with 10 and 12 inch rack toms and 14 and 16 inch floor toms or something like that. Wouldn't mind a new double pedal either, but I'll probably wait a little longer before I buy that.

Imbroil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:01 am 

I have been playing drums for about eight years now and have only just got a Kit. I had lessons for about six years and I wasn't really learning much new after the third. So I Started to teach myself how to play and picking songs up by ear. how many other people can do this because a few of my other mates play but can't do it.

desolaator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:39 am 

i want to ask you guys if there are stagg cymbal user here?I want to know about the details of it because i am planning to buy for my kit..but unfortunately, my budget is not enough for a sabian,zildjian,paiste...etc. i am playing with a thrash metal band.. your comments/suggestions may help me a lot.. thanks!

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:47 am 

desolaator wrote:
i want to ask you guys if there are stagg cymbal user here?I want to know about the details of it because i am planning to buy for my kit..but unfortunately, my budget is not enough for a sabian,zildjian,paiste...etc. i am playing with a thrash metal band.. your comments/suggestions may help me a lot.. thanks!

I would go with Walmart cymbals if you're going to get Stagg. At least they sound cool.

desolaator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:07 pm 

thank you sweetsilence for your advice, but walmart cymbals is not available here in Philippines.. just stagg, zildjian, sabian, paiste and meinl.. that's why i want to try stagg because of its low price.. i just want to know what line of stagg should i buy?

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:17 pm 

desolaator wrote:
thank you sweetsilence for your advice, but walmart cymbals is not available here in Philippines.. just stagg, zildjian, sabian, paiste and meinl.. that's why i want to try stagg because of its low price.. i just want to know what line of stagg should i buy?

Depending on how far out of your budget the rest of them are, I honestly would just save for better cymbals. A set of cheap Meinls or Paistes are going to sound infinitely better than Staggs. But it's your money and choice, so go with what you like. That's the most important part.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:15 pm 

I have a legitimate question regarding drumming. I would love to start drumming, I have the space and I have the money but I feel as though I don't have the multitasking thing down.

Does that come with the practice?

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:20 pm 

desolaator wrote:

I really like Wuhan cymbals for cheaper sets. They're warm and trashy sounding, but they have a better quality to them than the lower end cymbals by the Big 3.

Quote:
I have a legitimate question regarding drumming. I would love to start drumming, I have the space and I have the money but I feel as though I don't have the multitasking thing down.

Does that come with the practice?

The multitasking does come with practice. Its a lot like learning to walk, or run, or ride a bike, or drive a car, etc... Many different movements all coordinating themselves to one goal. The most basic rock beat is easy to emulate, just tap a table or desk "1-2-3-4-" even beats with your right hand. Stomp your right foot on the 1 and 3, and tap with your left hand on 2 and 4. Just about everything else in drumming is derivative of that.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:29 pm 

Well, I got my new kit and I fucking love it. Decided not to go with the Pearl again and instead got a 6 piece Mapex Meridian Maple in sienna fade, with 10 and 12 inch rack toms, 14 and 16 inch floor toms and a 13 inch maple snare plus some additional hardware and soft cases. I'd take a photo of it but my camera is broken, but it pretty much looks like this except with an extra floor tom and a lot more cymbals.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:41 pm 

Leechmaster wrote:
Well, I got my new kit and I fucking love it. Decided not to go with the Pearl again and instead got a 6 piece Mapex Meridian Maple in sienna fade, with 10 and 12 inch rack toms, 14 and 16 inch floor toms and a 13 inch maple snare plus some additional hardware and soft cases. I'd take a photo of it but my camera is broken, but it pretty much looks like this except with an extra floor tom and a lot more cymbals.

Cool, man. Now you can join the elite drumming club. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:01 am 

MikeyC wrote:

It's about damn time. ;)

What kit are you rockin' these days?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:10 am 

Leechmaster wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

It's about damn time. ;)

What kit are you rockin' these days?

I have a Pearl Export kit, black. The snare is a little damaged from packing and unpacking all the time, but it's seemingly fine otherwise. 20" bass drum with 3 toms and a floor tom (sizes elude me at the moment, but I think the smallest tom is an 8"). I don't have enough cymbals, either. They're all Zildjian, ranging from ZBT's to a custom china. I do need a lot more, though.

I don't have a picture, I don't think, but I have two videos of me playing. They were recorded about 10 months ago, and I do think I'm a little better than what's on there (still kind of shit, though :P).

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:39 am 

My old snare is a bit beaten up too, as one of the lugs is real wobbly but it still sounds fine to me. I'm using that as my second snare now though, so one either side of the high-hats. Looks fucking badass.

Ahh, you play with earmuffs on as well. I find it makes the drums sound so much better than without them on. I don't have the dual fan setup though, haha.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 am 

You have two snares? That's really cool, man. I don't have that, but maybe I will in the future when I get more drum equipment.

I wear earmuffs when I play so I don't destroy my hearing, but it makes no difference because I don't wear them when I play with the band. Deaf by 35 for me. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:59 am 

We all used to wear earmuffs at band practice, so we played twice as loud, lol.

As for not enough cymbals, I just won a Zildjian A Custom Rezo 15" Crash on eBay for only $180AU, which is a bargain considering it retails for around $400-450 in stores here. Now I'll have 9 cymbals :D

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:26 pm 

Electric drummer here, needing stuff for playing live.

Are Paiste PST3s decent enough? I know they're not that great, but I just need them for rehearsing and live stuff. Also I am a poor student. Such is life. I would get PST5s, but that's most likely not happening.

Also, what double pedals are good for around the £100-150 mark? Junior Cobras maybe? I'm considering Pearl P902s, Mapex P780s, and DW 2000/3000s as well.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:26 pm 

Right now I'm sidelined for 3 months with a broken pelvis after I got hit by a Jeep on October 1st. When I do get back though, the first thing I'm gonna do with my settlement money is buy a kit that isn't a piece of shit (looking at Pearl kits, as Pearl is my favorite drum company).

In the meantime, here's my YT channel for people who wanna see what I'm like as a drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 pm 

Subrick wrote:
In the meantime, here's my YT channel for people who wanna see what I'm like as a drummer.

Fuck, you're really good! I should just quit now. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:31 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Not sure if yer serious...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:33 am 

Subrick wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Not sure if yer serious...

No, I'm serious. You're definitely good. I need to work on my blasting, and you seem to have it down pat. Well done. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 am 

Oh. Thanks dude. Didn't get the inflection of the post at first. I've been so jacked up on Vicodin recently it's a wonder I can still function. :P

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:40 pm 

Haha, that's alright. You look to have some good technique when you blast, which is something I'm really going to have to work on. Good stuff. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:11 pm 

Once I get back to drumming I'm gonna work on refining my basics. It'll make the fast stuff even better.

CannibalCrepe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 pm 

Holy shit, Subrick. I watched untitled song #2. That shits awesome. Your rolls are damn tight. It's like you're channeling Igor Cavalera circa Morbid Visions. Good luck on your recovery!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:21 pm 

Never been compared to Igor before. He's a great drummer.

ambok
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 am 

just follow the bet and you will know. .

SpyreWorks
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm 

Ding-ding-ding! Drummer joke time!

-How do you know the stage is level? The drummer is drooling from both sides of the mouth.

-What do you call someone who hangs around musicians? A drummer.

-How do you confuse a drummer? Put sheet music in front of him.

-What do you call a drummer who broke up with his girlfriend? Homeless.

-What do a drum solo and a sneeze have in common? You know when both are coming, but you can't do anything to stop them.

-What do you call a drummer with half a brain? Gifted.

-How do you tell a drummer's at the door? The knocking speeds up.

In before "OMG immature asshole!!"; relax, I'm a drummer too.

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:59 pm 

I'm so tired of being stuck on an electronic kit ugh -_- It's only been like 2-3 months but still. Until I find a band in this town I'm in crap plus I have to prepare for a jazz audition for the conservatory haha.

MetlDaa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:32 pm 

This is my gear. I've been playing in a marching band for 9 years. I used to suck because I didn't have a real drum teacher. When I was 13, my interest for a appeared. I played some at school and gained basic technique. Two years later, I picked up my first drum set, a Mapex V6 (trying to sell it at the moment, due to huge 80's toms). I quickly replaced the heads and got the mighty Iron Cobra pedals, that I totally love. The cymbals are true quality. I hate shitty Zbt's and B8. Gonna get some new hats once, too, haha. In 2009, I auditioned for a music class school. Now I'm a student there, and I've taken my drumming to another level.
I want a band for christmas. Really.

I want to become better than Metallicafan2910 on youtube. He is the drummer of the guitarist in my class' band, and he's an ass. At least to me.

Oh, the link. Here.
http://www.trommeportalen.no/viewtopic. ... v6#p154358

MetalRevolverRecords
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:55 am 

The level of skill in playing drums depends oh how the player
practice and how determine he/she is to explore and creates
techniques and stunts in playing drums, in this line of instrument
all powerfull drummer have the most time spent in practice,and also the
have the given a chance to have a instrument to played every time they want to, in my case i played drums but not quite technical like Max Kolesne
krisiun,or Dajjal (Impiety,Abattory, Sadiztik Impaler) cause i have not instrument and no mentors but hopping to improve my skill in future
and to have my own instrument someday,, thanks for this topic
we can share experiences. always depends on our own origin and races..

hail you brother,

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:13 pm 

My newest few attempts at playing. Keep in mind that they are from bands a lot of people here despise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgTyP81SLng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ElsmX0bAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvgDyZYGBwk

I'm stuck in more "radio friendly" territory until I am 100% healed from my car accident.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:41 pm 

You're really good, Subrick. Even with limitations from a car accident, you can still play very well. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:11 pm 

MetlDaa wrote:
This is my gear. I've been playing in a marching band for 9 years. I used to suck because I didn't have a real drum teacher. When I was 13, my interest for a appeared. I played some at school and gained basic technique. Two years later, I picked up my first drum set, a Mapex V6 (trying to sell it at the moment, due to huge 80's toms). I quickly replaced the heads and got the mighty Iron Cobra pedals, that I totally love. The cymbals are true quality. I hate shitty Zbt's and B8. Gonna get some new hats once, too, haha. In 2009, I auditioned for a music class school. Now I'm a student there, and I've taken my drumming to another level.

I want to become better than Metallicafan2910 on youtube. He is the drummer of the guitarist in my class' band, and he's an ass. At least to me.

Oh, the link. Here.

:headbang: Iron Cobras are king of kings man. I've had my pedals and beaten the hell out of them for years now. Also, your quest for vengeance is a noble pursuit.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:22 am 

MikeyC wrote:
You're really good, Subrick. Even with limitations from a car accident, you can still play very well. :)

Thanks man. Especially considering that I was physically hit by a car while crossing the street and it took me 3 months to start regularly playing again. The only things ability wise I've lost are some speed, leg consistency, and stamina. Other than that, it's like I never got hit.

MetlDaa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
MetlDaa wrote:

Oh, the link. Here.

:headbang: Iron Cobras are king of kings man. I've had my pedals and beaten the hell out of them for years now. Also, your quest for vengeance is a noble pursuit.

I know it's gonna be a hard thing, but I will give it a shot.
I have tried a Tama Starclassic Bubinga with double Iron Cobra. What can I say? Amazing kit, amazing pedal. Too bad there were other people in the shop that day.. :P

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm 

Remember how I said before that I was stuck in mainstream territory until I was healed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANAJ_ZSMmEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brcK2mU7dRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNDkgaLKWZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVcm9eWUbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3D9tfXJNQs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkPDkNRcukw

Well, I'm healed.

morbidpriest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 am 

Heer_Beraht wrote:
Hail fellow drummers!

I've been drumming for a year now and it's going pretty good.
I am a Black Metal fan and me and a friend of mine have started to rehearsel some songs we wrote, however many songs contain that typical fast black metal rythm (bass+hihat, snare, repeat) (are those Blastbeats?).
Do any of you guys know a technique to play this pretty fast (tempo 160 and up) that is not to tiring so that you don't slow down (as i do :p).

I'm also looking for some double bass techniques to play double bass fast (again, 160 and up). I read something about a foot - heel technique, but my feet are to big.

Thanks!
actually the beat you are refering to is a skank beat. similarbut not quite the same. a blast beat is more snare based and hard to do at faster speeds. look up pete sandoval of morbid angel and terrorizor, he is an innovator of blast beats

morbidpriest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:47 am 

so whats a 16 year old drummer with no job and no money supposed to do for new cymbals and a hi hat these days? im rockin with a cb set. 8' and 10' rack toms with 14 floor tom, 20' bass, and 14 in snare. and a pair of stagg double bass pedals. my hi hat started as just a small key hole and evolved into a whole missing section and now i have no crisp closed sound... my crash/ride is shot to shit. i have no sustain and it sounds like dropping a pot on the floor. i like my splash though :) i love blasting my double bass with a good drum fill then slamming my splash. whatever i need a job. thanks for reading my pointless post

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:08 am 

Subrick wrote:

I really like your Marduk cover. Sounds really good. My favorite Marduk song to play on drums is probably either Dreams of Blood and Iron or Beyond the Grace of God.

Here's a 2 year old video of me playing. I'm better now, but I was happy with this session. The double bass is spotty at times, but I was having an off day. http://www.myspace.com/video/wargoatswa ... s/61532467

I actually used this for an audition to be a session drummer for a tour but the band's original drummer decided last minute he could make the tour. Asshole!
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:24 pm 

At least your triggers are audible.

Here's some more stuff, now in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWpswX_dKbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV83dhf0zzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jV9uiVmUek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2UviDpXYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Aj8Nv-i5WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkcHyiYzZgk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnXu10CIo78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp6ggOQQyvA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEv024feL90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tAA9QqHK0U

Yes, I know, that's a lot of drumming. Death metal, black metal, deathcore, symphonic black, tech death, and metalcore all in one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next