Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm 

Hails everyone,

a friend of mine gave me his copies of Setherial - Nord and Satanic Warmaster - ... of the night for sale or trade as he has no internet.

I wanted to make pictures of both and compared them with my copies and noticed some differences:

Setherial - Nord:

- one copy has white band logo and album title and all prints on the booklet are white, on the other copy everything is in silver letters, barcode is the same, but placed slightly different, matrix numbers are as following:
white print version: "03071108 NPR 017 eruditus +49 (0) 245191250" (no IFPI Number)
silver print version: "DADC Austria IFPI L553 A0100184477-0101 13 A0"

Satanic Warmaster - ... of the night:

- both versions have almost identical front and back covers, one version has a slightly darker and better color print and the SW Logo placed in the recording information on the back cover, this version also has a printed inner tray card with clear tray, the other one has a white inner tray card with black tray
Matrix numbers are:

clear tray version: "66107 - NC073" (no IFPI number)
black tray version: "B347570Z MM8UB0080 @ IFPI AAJ03"

Does anyone know which of the CDs are originals or represses or maybe even bootlegs?

Thanks
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:10 pm 

pictures added
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm 

That's a question that possibly only Napalm, No Colours or Werwolf can answer.

The left SW looks like first press, as the copyright is missing on the CD (and possibly added later). But that is just a rough guess.

that left Setherial CD has the SPV distribution logo, while the right one is Napalm only. Maybe Napalm got a contract with SPV for worldwide distribution and re-pressed it with the SPV-logo ? Also only a rough guess.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:00 pm 

peterott wrote:
That's a question that possibly only Napalm, No Colours or Werwolf can answer.

The left SW looks like first press, as the copyright is missing on the CD (and possibly added later). But that is just a rough guess.

that left Setherial CD has the SPV distribution logo, while the right one is Napalm only. Maybe Napalm got a contract with SPV for worldwide distribution and re-pressed it with the SPV-logo ? Also only a rough guess.

Thanks for your estimate, about the SW I was thinking the same as also the matrix code has the same structure than other NC firstpresses whereas the right version has a matrix type I never saw before.

Concerning the Setherial CD, both versions have "Distributed by SPV" printed on the CD and the backcover, one has the SPV Logo, the other one the Napalm Records logo. I think I read somewhere that the white print version was the initial one, but here the matrix code seems to contain the phone number of the pressing plant, on the other hand, all other Napalm Records CDs I can remember have the cat. no. included in the matrix which would speak for the white version.

Ahnenerbe_Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:25 am 

This isn't a definitive answer, but I was curious so I just checked my copy of "...Of The Night". It's the black tray version and the matrix # matches yours. I also bought it from a store, so it's less likely to be a boot. Other than that, I can't really help. Except to say that No Colours rereleases are often times more elaborate graphically than their first presses. See early-midperiod Graveland as an example.

gravlagtieljudne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:01 am 

Asti78 wrote:
Setherial - Nord:

silver print version: "DADC Austria IFPI L553 A0100184477-0101 13 A0"

I have exactly this version, bought in 1996. I have no idea about the white version. You say the white one could be the initial press, because it has the NPR 017 catalog number in the matrix. But on the other hand the silver one has the Napalm logo on the back, which - as also peterott points out - could be the initial European/Austrian press, and the SPV version the one for worldwide distribution?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.