Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm 

Now and again on my never-ending search through black metal I come across some bands that make me sit up and say fuck this is pretty awesome stuff. This latest band I have recently discovered are one of those bands, only my problem is I cant find out fuck all info on the net about them, no website, myspace etc even the name Хлад, it is meant to be an old Russian language and means something along the lines of Chilled (correct me if im wrong!). The album title translates something like Dominion of Winter but that is about all I can find, very obscure and underground indeed, so I was looking to see if any of you guys know anything about this band (no. of albums, physical releases, label etc), thanks in advance.

Oh yea, almost forgot check them out here, a great blend of atmosphere and ambient to my ears, enjoy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8aUyil7 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebP7G4zE ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uILt5C9J ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7-mIjCx ... re=related

Last edited by STORMM on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:48 pm 

Out of curiosity, I've done some searching and found that the transcription of their name should be something like Klad, and that they have an 6 song EP titled 'Власть Зимы' (no friggin' clue of what it means or of a transcription, though). That is all: to find anything else (assuming more info exists), I'd have to go through the more than 44.000 results (with 95% of them being places that offer the EP for download, I'd assume without the band's permission) Google returns.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:02 pm 

Gelal wrote:
Out of curiosity, I've done some searching and found that the transcription of their name should be something like Klad, and that they have an 6 song EP titled 'Власть Зимы' (no friggin' clue of what it means or of a transcription, though). That is all: to find anything else (assuming more info exists), I'd have to go through the more than 44.000 results (with 95% of them being places that offer the EP for download, I'd assume without the band's permission) Google returns.

Thanks Gelal, I could only find download sites myself, and assume there is a physical release(s) as some of them have the album cover etc for download also.

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:04 pm 

Gelal wrote:

The EP translates to the Dominion of Winter

~Guest 139804
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:40 pm 

Gelal wrote:
Out of curiosity, I've done some searching and found that the transcription of their name should be something like Klad, and that they have an 6 song EP titled 'Власть Зимы' (no friggin' clue of what it means or of a transcription, though)

The transcription should be Hlad or, if you really insist on "anglicizing" it, Khlad, while I'd write the name of the EP "Vlast Zimyi" in Latin letters. As already pointed out, the title of the EP means "Reign of Winter" or similar; the band name itself means "shade" as in "shade of a tree", a place you can take cover from the sun.

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:52 pm 

I've been wondering about this band too, thanks for the thread OP and to those who've given information.

Cheers.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:45 pm 

Someone on last.fm knew about this band. [url]http://www.last.fm/music/Хлад[/url]

last.fm wrote:
Atmospheric black metal from Orsk, Orenburg region, Russia
The only member is Ivan.
Started in september 2006.
Formerly known as Kald.

Releases that can be found in the net:
2009 - Дальше В Лесную Глубь (Демо)
2009 - Моя Боль (миньон)
2010 - Власть Зимы

My attempts at translation:

2009 - Дальше В Лесную Глубь (Демо) -- Further into the forested depths (demo)
2009 - Моя Боль (миньон) -- My pain (ep)
2010 - Власть Зимы -- Reign of winter

gojko88 wrote:
Gelal wrote:
Out of curiosity, I've done some searching and found that the transcription of their name should be something like Klad, and that they have an 6 song EP titled 'Власть Зимы' (no friggin' clue of what it means or of a transcription, though)

The transcription should be Hlad or, if you really insist on "anglicizing" it, Khlad, while I'd write the name of the EP "Vlast Zimyi" in Latin letters. As already pointed out, the title of the EP means "Reign of Winter" or similar; the band name itself means "shade" as in "shade of a tree", a place you can take cover from the sun.

I would transcribe the EP's name as " Vlast' Zimy " (with apostrophe after Vlast), in case that helps your Googling at all. And the band's name would be correctly Khlad as gojko88 mentioned.

My attempts at translating the track titles (I know almost no russian, I just use combination of wiktionary, google translate and guesses)

1 - Власть Зимы -- Reign of winter
2 - Белых Вихрей Горизонт -- Horizon of white whirlwinds
3 - Чего Ты Ждёшь? -- What are you waiting for?
4 - Простор -- Vastness
5 - Покидая Замёрзшее Тело -- Leaving the frozen body
6 - Светлая Скорбь -- Lighthearted grief

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:53 pm 

I think Dominion or Power of Winter is a better translation than Reign

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 am 

Thanks for the replys guys and judging by the dates on the above mentioned tracks (kindly translated!) he/they must be still active at least or even a new project when some of the material is dated 2010. Seems some-what strange though that a new project is hidden this much away into the underground with practically no coverage what-so-ever, you would think that some sort of band website, interview even a picture! would exsist of the artist online, how active the artist actually is, is still unknown but one I will be keeping an eye on in the future as I enjoy the well balanced mix of atmospheric/ambient winter black metal.

Edit - also interesting to see a few more older releases mentioned above, I will have to try and hunt these out also.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 am 

The band name - Хлад - means the same as "холод", that is, frost/cold/chill.

I would agree that "Dominion of Winter" would be the most accurate translation of "Власть Зимы". The translations given by SwarteHeap are correct, except "6 - Светлая Скорбь"; "Светлая" = light (adj.), as opposed to dark.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:48 am 

STORMM wrote:
Thanks for the replys guys and judging by the dates on the above mentioned tracks (kindly translated!) he/they must be still active at least or even a new project when some of the material is dated 2010. Seems some-what strange though that a new project is hidden this much away into the underground with practically no coverage what-so-ever, you would think that some sort of band website, interview even a picture! would exsist of the artist online, how active the artist actually is, is still unknown but one I will be keeping an eye on in the future as I enjoy the well balanced mix of atmospheric/ambient winter black metal.

Edit - also interesting to see a few more older releases mentioned above, I will have to try and hunt these out also.

This band is not so underground as you may think. There are thousands of similar bedroom projects in Russia, whose only official site is in vkontakte.ru network - http://vkontakte.ru/club8992858 (registration needed). In most cases they don't have an official site or myspace simply because that's too complex for their tiny brains, and not because they are trying to be underground.
On the first demos this band was called Kald, and then the name was changed to Хлад (or Hlad if Romanized, which is an obsolete Russian word meaning "the cold", in modern Russian the word "Холод" is used).
There is an interview with the band in Russian:
http://bfm.underthesnow.ru/bfm_intervie ... -orsk.html
where the member says that all the releases are free downloads and he isn't going to release anything in physical form in the near future.
The links to all demos (5 in total) can be found in their vkontakte.ru page (link posted above).

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:34 pm 

Fulgurius wrote:
STORMM wrote:

This band is not so underground as you may think. There are thousands of similar bedroom projects in Russia, whose only official site is in vkontakte.ru network - http://vkontakte.ru/club8992858 (registration needed). In most cases they don't have an official site or myspace simply because that's too complex for their tiny brains, and not because they are trying to be underground.
On the first demos this band was called Kald, and then the name was changed to Хлад (or Hlad if Romanized, which is an obsolete Russian word meaning "the cold", in modern Russian the word "Холод" is used).
There is an interview with the band in Russian:
http://bfm.underthesnow.ru/bfm_intervie ... -orsk.html
where the member says that all the releases are free downloads and he isn't going to release anything in physical form in the near future.
The links to all demos (5 in total) can be found in their vkontakte.ru page (link posted above).

Nice one Fulgurius! :thumbsup: thanks for the info and the help, I will check out these links now, cheers!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.