Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:32 pm 

mckickflip wrote:
Would anyone be so kind as to recommend atmospheric black metal in the vein of Neige & Noirceur or Moon (Aus)? I've been listening to Neige & Noirceur over and over again but I have yet to find a band that is quite similar to him.

It's hard to describe, but I'll try: lots of very, very fast drum machine beats over slow/mid-paced black metal, often with multiple keyboards and a lot of reverb. Lots of long and drawn out songs. I hesitate to say "epic" because that implies a whole lot of things I'm not looking for but I guess it has a certain epic quality to it.

Haven't heard of Neigie & Noirceurs or Moon, but if you want good atmospheric BM then look no further than Negura Bunget and Walknut.

Negura Bunget have folk influence in their music (latest work) and people declare them as Folk Black but I'd stick with Atmospheric Black.

Walknut is just amazing. From Russia. Only one release so far, get it.

And also get Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta I : Fathers of the Icy Age and also their latest release Memoria Vetusta II : Dialogue with the Stars.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:36 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
Thanks, I'll look into those two. Feel free to recommend more stuff :)

Also try some of 1349's and Dark Funeral's work.

I was listening to 1349 as I submitted my first post, but I'll check out Dark Funeral :)

EDIT: Another request; if I wanna get into Immortal, what album should I begin with?
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:15 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
STORMM wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

I was listening to 1349 as I submitted my first post, but I'll check out Dark Funeral :)

EDIT: Another request; if I wanna get into Immortal, what album should I begin with?

At The Heart Of Winter is prob my fav, but if you are looking for more speed try Pure Halocaust.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:48 pm 

Any requests in the vein of Dodsferd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rlb9JPZPM)?

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 pm 

Hey, I'm looking for bands that sound like Ulver's Trilogie (Bergtatt, Kveldssanger, and Nattens Madrigal- Probably my three favorite albums of all time)

Meaning, something that combines the raw black metal with 'triumphant' riffs and beautiful acoustic folk music.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:15 am 

Inkshooter wrote:
Hey, I'm looking for bands that sound like Ulver's Trilogie (Bergtatt, Kveldssanger, and Nattens Madrigal- Probably my three favorite albums of all time)

Meaning, something that combines the raw black metal with 'triumphant' riffs and beautiful acoustic folk music.

Ever heard Sorgsvart?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sBlUyA7vq0

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:13 am 

FredGarvin wrote:
Inkshooter wrote:

Ever heard Sorgsvart?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sBlUyA7vq0

Sorgsvart, seconded. Epic band. 'Fortapt Fra Verden I Vakkert Selvmord' is a really good album.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:54 am 

STORMM wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
STORMM wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

At The Heart Of Winter is prob my fav, but if you are looking for more speed try Pure Halocaust.

Seconded. If you like 'At the Heart of Winter' (if you don't, wel....) then also check out their latest album :) .
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:42 am 

Winterkald wrote:
STORMM wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
STORMM wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

Seconded. If you like 'At the Heart of Winter' (if you don't, wel....) then also check out their latest album :) .

I'll check that one out then, thanks!

Last.fm

vince148
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:02 pm 

DenialFiend wrote:
vince148 wrote:
Could anyone recommend some good Atmospheric and/or Greek Black Metal considering i like bands such as:

Rotting Christ (2 first releases)
Varathron
Necromantia
Agatus
Vinterland
Sacramentum
Dissection

Thanks.

Some hellenic bm stuff:
-I second Acherontas (ex-Stutthof) both releases; Tam Tvan Asi and Theosis. If you like them, have a look on their splits with Necromantia and Leviathan. There are gems hidden in there.
-Also, check out Zemial. You are going to love In Monumentum without a doubt. Both harsh and clean vocals are amazing, the composition is just epic and the whole atmosphere reminds you a bit of Quorthon's early and later era.
-I don't know if you can have access on Gospel of Grief's new album, Our Symbol Is Death. There are two or three tracks uploaded on YouTube and on their myspace official page (= http://www.myspace.com/gospelofgrief), but you can get nothing of them if you don't have the whole album. The vocals, the riffs, the blast-beats are just amazing. Here sings Kaidas from Naer Mataron, too.
-A real gem are Deviser and their album Unspeakable Cults. First time listening to them, I was like 5 minutes with opened mouth. "What the fuck was that???", was my reaction. Awesome melodies, awesome riffing, and for god's shake you CAN listen to the bass, which is not two or three notes. Vocals are really good, too.

Some atmospheric bm stuff
-You should have a look on Ravencult's Temples of Torment. This band creates a so dark, cold, introvert atmosphere, like the old one (Norway, 20 years back).
-Also, hungarian bm band Bornholm is great. Easy riffs, not something special (vocals, bass, drums), but the feeling is unbelievable. Low paced bm with awesome lyrics, which travels you far far away with its atmosphere.

Holy shit Deviser is insane!!

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:24 am 

I'm looking for any bands that are similar to Svest. What I'm searching for is the rawness, the apocalyptic sound, and the melody that the group has. Something close to their album Urfaust.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:04 pm 

Right quick suggestions. I'm about to start listening to Xashtur. Which album should I start with first?

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:15 pm 

samrit86 wrote:
Right quick suggestions. I'm about to start listening to Xashtur. Which album should I start with first?

You should start with the debut album, 'Nocturnal Poisoning'. Then you could check out 'To Violate the Oblivious' and the Xasthur side of the split with Nortt.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:27 pm 

Winterkald wrote:
samrit86 wrote:

You should start with the debut album, 'Nocturnal Poisoning'. Then you could check out 'To Violate the Oblivious' and the Xasthur side of the split with Nortt.

Thank you. I'm gonna try listening to it now. Also, is 'The Funeral of Being' any good?

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:31 pm 

samrit86 wrote:
Winterkald wrote:
samrit86 wrote:

Thank you. I'm gonna try listening to it now. Also, is 'The Funeral of Being' any good?

Well, I do own it, but to be honest I don't recall what the album sounds like anymore haha (that's also why I didn't recommended it). It get's the highest average score of all Xasthur albums so I guess it's one of his better albums. I do know that I've enjoyed it, but I have to be in the mood for Xasthur and that is not that often. But it doesn't hurt to check it out I guess ;) .

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:04 am 

Winterkald wrote:
samrit86 wrote:
Winterkald wrote:
samrit86 wrote:

Well, I do own it, but to be honest I don't recall what the album sounds like anymore haha (that's also why I didn't recommended it). It get's the highest average score of all Xasthur albums so I guess it's one of his better albums. I do know that I've enjoyed it, but I have to be in the mood for Xasthur and that is not that often. But it doesn't hurt to check it out I guess ;) .

I've got Subliminal Genocide already. It's amazing. Also 'Funeral of a Being' and 'Nocturnal Poisoning'. All good. I'm starting to like him now.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:51 am 

Any other black metal bands with prominent bass like Carpathian Forest?

Jvlien
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:48 pm 

Well I am not really sure but you can try this:

Eternal Majesty - Le Christ Roi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2euWQC6O5c

However, I would recommend everyone - A Forest of Stars (http://www.myspace.com/aforestofstars)

Said to be "Psychedelic Black Metal" - this band is very interesting and definitely bring something new around here. I haven't heard anything like this. If you know a band similar, please tell me!

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:56 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

The last two Drudkh albums have a very audiable bass in it, Estrangement and Microcosmos (especially Estrangement if I remember correctly). Completely different music then Carpathian Forest though, so I don't know if this helps.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:13 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Kvist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80QBT5xfEQ

Mactatus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmmIm4ajlLw

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:52 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu2-8m9k51E

Look no further. this album has best bass I've heard.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:54 pm 

Jvlien wrote:
Well I am not really sure but you can try this:

Eternal Majesty - Le Christ Roi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2euWQC6O5c

However, I would recommend everyone - A Forest of Stars (http://www.myspace.com/aforestofstars)

Said to be "Psychedelic Black Metal" - this band is very interesting and definitely bring something new around here. I haven't heard anything like this. If you know a band similar, please tell me!

Forest of Stars is amazing. Looking forward to their new release next month. I personally think Altoriu Seseliai reminds me of them. Here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWplbHSlyfM

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:03 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm looking for any bands that are similar to Svest. What I'm searching for is the rawness, the apocalyptic sound, and the melody that the group has. Something close to their album Urfaust.

I totally love this album. Absolutely insane, without a doubt.

I am quite sure that you already know the below bands, but I don't mind typing them. First of all, I will stick in french blackmetal scene:

Antaeus; they need no explanations. Albums such as De Principii Evangelikum and Blood Libels are raw fucking blackmetal masterpieces.

Sael; you should check this band out! I own Ocean demo, and their music is fucking insane. Fast paced blackmetal, heavy blastbeats, amazing vocals.

Anorexia Nervosa; close to your tastes. Check their whole discography, espacially their last full-length.

Another bands you may also find pleasure among them: Mutiilation, Bael, Nadiwrath (greek band, but I love 'em; you may not like the vocals), etc.

Oh dude, you made me look back in my collection and find some really good french blackmetal gems. That scene is fantastic!!!

Karstye
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 pm 

I'm looking for some really crazy black metal, as in, sounding like someone going mad, but in a good way.
Preferably Avant-Garde but if not its fine.
A perfect example of what I'm looking for is Sigh's Inked in Blood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQJu3noyLIY

also, some of the stuff from Unexpect's In a Flesh Aquarium suits this in a way, I want something driving and mad. I *need* more metal like this.

FuneralDeity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:28 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Tulus or Khold should be of interest.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

barathrum, of course.

edit: and hail from finland!
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

OnwardToGolgotha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Mayhem have prominent bass, especially on their earlier material, but it is heavily distorted.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:13 pm 

Hey fellas, I am very much enjoying some blackened Metal bands who incorporate a blend of Black, and oldschool metal. Something like Devil lee Rot, or 'I' is what I am looking for here. Pure Blackened metal taking inspiration from the legendary decade and its Nwobhm/speed/trad beginnings. Anything else fit this query?

Cheers

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:33 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Hey fellas, I am very much enjoying some blackened Metal bands who incorporate a blend of Black, and oldschool metal. Something like Devil lee Rot, or 'I' is what I am looking for here. Pure Blackened metal taking inspiration from the legendary decade and its Nwobhm/speed/trad beginnings. Anything else fit this query?

Cheers

Check out Wizzard (Fin)'s last two albums...should be what you're looking for.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:32 pm 

DenialFiend wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:

I totally love this album. Absolutely insane, without a doubt.

I am quite sure that you already know the below bands, but I don't mind typing them. First of all, I will stick in french blackmetal scene:

Antaeus; they need no explanations. Albums such as De Principii Evangelikum and Blood Libels are raw fucking blackmetal masterpieces.

Sael; you should check this band out! I own Ocean demo, and their music is fucking insane. Fast paced blackmetal, heavy blastbeats, amazing vocals.

Anorexia Nervosa; close to your tastes. Check their whole discography, espacially their last full-length.

Another bands you may also find pleasure among them: Mutiilation, Bael, Nadiwrath (greek band, but I love 'em; you may not like the vocals), etc.

Oh dude, you made me look back in my collection and find some really good french blackmetal gems. That scene is fantastic!!!

Excellent. Thanks!

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:32 pm 

I'm looking for some avant-garde BM. I'm listening to Kailash their debut album and I would like to hear more bands who play BM this way.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 am 

I've decided to take a whack at symphonic black metal, but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm already familiar with Emperor, Limbonic Art, Troll, Tartaros and Summoning (if the last two are considered Symphonic Black Metal), so please avoid mentioning them. I prefer the more aggressive bands, please. No serene stuff. Also, the rawer the production the better. My thanks to anyone who can help with this vague request.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:
I've decided to take a whack at symphonic black metal, but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm already familiar with Emperor, Limbonic Art, Troll, Tartaros and Summoning (if the last two are considered Symphonic Black Metal), so please avoid mentioning them. I prefer the more aggressive bands, please. No serene stuff. Also, the rawer the production the better. My thanks to anyone who can help with this vague request.

Two words... ANOREXIA NERVOSA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pN-JkymdWM

Last.fm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 am 

LokiGoddess wrote:

So many to choose Loki, of the top of my head I would suggest you try out Nokturnal Mortum's "Lunar Poetry", one of their earliest releases but def their best for many, including myself. Also try Covenant's (Nor) "In Times Before The Light", similar to what Ive already mention and also a highly rated album. These two albums fit your request pretty well esepcially if you are after that more raw sounding production, both are played well and create a nice atmosphere. Arcturus's early material is def worth a listen, classed as atmospheric they are still very symphonic and the first few albums are excellent indeed and worth a listen, I never got into their later "experimental" stuff though. Another overlooked gem is Odium's "The Sad Realm Of The Stars", similar to eary Emperor in a way, another one you might enjoy is Obtained Enslavedment. Most of these bands have that rawer production you are after, prob because most of them were released between 1990 and 2000.
Also if you have not listened to them before and enjoy the likes of Summoning give Bal Sagoth a listen, they have some wonderful stuff throughout their discog.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:53 pm 

LokiGoddess wrote:

Check out Kataxu - Hunger of Elements.

Valdincan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 pm 

So I've been focusing more on atmospheric/spacy black metal; anyone got some good balls to the wall black metal like Gorgoroth-Incipit Satan?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:33 am 

Valdincan wrote:
So I've been focusing more on atmospheric/spacy black metal; anyone got some good balls to the wall black metal like Gorgoroth-Incipit Satan?

When I think of atmospheric/spacey black metal the first bands come to mind would be the excellent Evilfeast and Darkspace, both of these create this great atmopshere with the help of added keyboard ambient sections. I cannot recall the above Gorgoroth song to compare to these bands but they are well worth a listen.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:32 am 

STORMM wrote:
Valdincan wrote:

When I think of atmospheric/spacey black metal the first bands come to mind would be the excellent Evilfeast and Darkspace, both of these create this great atmopshere with the help of added keyboard ambient sections. I cannot recall the above Gorgoroth song to compare to these bands but they are well worth a listen.

I don't really see the link between atmospheric/spacey BM and Gorgoroth, but anyway. I you like Evilfeast I can also recommend you the first album from 'Kataxu', namely 'Roots Thunder', which is very similar. For more Polish black metal which is somewhat similar: 'Gontyna Kry - Welowie'.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:12 am 

Valdincan wrote:

Atmospheric/spacy black metal? Trist (Germany) of course.

Get the album Hin-Fort and listen to the track 'Hin'. 60 minutes of sound that will take you out of this world.

Here's a sample : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr3vrvXfocM

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:47 am 

Winterkald wrote:
I don't really see the link between atmospheric/spacey BM and Gorgoroth, but anyway.

No, neither do I.

I recommend Fell Voices' self-titled full-length. Huge album with lots of spacey atmospherics. Their first demo isn't half bad either for that type of thing.

I also recommend Arizmenda. Within the Vacuum of Infinity... even sounds spacey! Wonderful wall-of-sound black metal.

I also second Trist's Hin-Fort. Massive.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 231  Next