Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:41 am 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
I've actually listened to quite a bit of folk/viking metal, but I haven't found much in the similar vein as moonsorrow or bathory i.e., immense and epic atmosphere, a mix of doom-ish stuff and faster black/folk/thrash passages that lends it self to 8min+ epics. I'm looking for stuff that uses either the choir vocals of bathory and moonsorrow, the excellent clean vocals of heidevolk or the singular 'nordic' chants of isengard or storm. Prominent guitar is also good, i really dont care for the stuff that claims to be viking metal but really is just single strumming or power chords over power metal synths. If they mix harsh and clean vocals all the better. I also don't want the overly happy(triumphant stuff is ok, just not stuff like say alestorm) beer swilling kind of stuff like korplikanni or finntroll[dont rec these :P]. It doesn't HAVE to be viking metal, epic black or folk metal can work if they pull of the atmosphere and vocals enough. Use whats in this paragraphs for recs, heres what i already heard and know of so you don't rec something i already am aware of:

Einherjer, bathory, moonsorrow, svartsot, arvinger, asmegin, helheim, enslaved, sorgsvart, isengard, storm, graveland, eluvetite, morrigan, forefather, kampfar, rivendell, thyrfing, enslaved, crom, ereb altor, scald (rus), draughim, helheim, black lotus, windir, bloodaxe, dark forest, dark messiah, equlibrium, myrkgrav, hiedevolk, manegarm, vintersorg, borknagar, ensiferum, falkenbach, thronar, stormheit, crimfall.

Try Arkona, they use a mix of clean and growled female vocals but their latest two albums use choirs regularly. They have a few songs around the 6 minute mark and a couple of 10+ epics.
MA Page: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=26171
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxh6dFkYe-U
I ran out of words.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
I've actually listened to quite a bit of folk/viking metal, but I haven't found much in the similar vein as moonsorrow or bathory i.e., immense and epic atmosphere, a mix of doom-ish stuff and faster black/folk/thrash passages that lends it self to 8min+ epics. I'm looking for stuff that uses either the choir vocals of bathory and moonsorrow, the excellent clean vocals of heidevolk or the singular 'nordic' chants of isengard or storm. Prominent guitar is also good, i really dont care for the stuff that claims to be viking metal but really is just single strumming or power chords over power metal synths. If they mix harsh and clean vocals all the better. I also don't want the overly happy(triumphant stuff is ok, just not stuff like say alestorm) beer swilling kind of stuff like korplikanni or finntroll[dont rec these :P]. It doesn't HAVE to be viking metal, epic black or folk metal can work if they pull of the atmosphere and vocals enough. Use whats in this paragraphs for recs, heres what i already heard and know of so you don't rec something i already am aware of:

Einherjer, bathory, moonsorrow, svartsot, arvinger, asmegin, helheim, enslaved, sorgsvart, isengard, storm, graveland, eluvetite, morrigan, forefather, kampfar, rivendell, thyrfing, enslaved, crom, ereb altor, scald (rus), draughim, helheim, black lotus, windir, bloodaxe, dark forest, dark messiah, equlibrium, myrkgrav, hiedevolk, manegarm, vintersorg, borknagar, ensiferum, falkenbach, thronar, stormheit, crimfall.

Judging by your list, you are probably already familiar with Mithotyn, correct? Maybe also try:

Odroerir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9VyinQY ... re=related

Noman's Land: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF-bMyxS ... re=related

Fortíð: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sG1iXSb960

Fjoergyn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ho1s_Q8w_I

Those last two use a nice mix of harsh vocals/nordic chants.

Thorr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 pm 

I'm looking for more albums and songs that resemble Enslaved's "Suttungs Mjod" from their Blodhemn album. I'm looking for songs that are a little bit slower, with emphasis being put more on deeper, clean vocals rather than screams.

Phencyclidine
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:39 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:

Galar - Til Alle Heimsens Endar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OihKOTiSlA

Raventhrone - Malicegarden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQhsV2FJTw

Mischosen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHunx5QUt0I

You might also enjoy Yggdrasil, Falchion, Dalriada, Suidakra and Svartby.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 am 

Okay,only "met"bands like Korpiklaani and the likes a little while ago,i REALLY need recs on more bands like this.The happier and cheesier the better :D,as long as they know how to make decent songs and need to use folk instruments.Otherwise i could listen to german power metal :D

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 am 

I assume you've heard Finntroll? If not, check out trollhammaren.

Other than that, check out Svartsot. They're heavier than most other folk metal, but I find them pretty happy sounding.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:09 am 

King_Hands wrote:
I assume you've heard Finntroll? If not, check out trollhammaren.

Other than that, check out Svartsot. They're heavier than most other folk metal, but I find them pretty happy sounding.

Will check Svartsot out?I already know Finntroll,but they are sometimes a bit to serious for me lol.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:52 pm 

^Give Otyg a listen. Not really cheesy, but still very happy. Vocals by the swedish chef muppet. Oops. I mean Vintetrsorg.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:07 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
Okay,only "met"bands like Korpiklaani and the likes a little while ago,i REALLY need recs on more bands like this.The happier and cheesier the better :D,as long as they know how to make decent songs and need to use folk instruments.Otherwise i could listen to german power metal :D

(luckily) lacking the "cheese" but maybe what you are looking for:

Glittertind

their early sound is more a form of viking-folk-rock-punk, today they (he) sound more like folk metal

early:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kwww-VUqEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RuI6fwlvT8

newer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZ0BJYi_TU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k79XjRJM170

Mikho
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:52 am 

WEEPING TWILIGHT - Viera Prodkaŭ, častka 1 - Bajuć Kamieńni [live] (YouTube)

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:00 am 

That last Glittertind song made laugh out loud. It's been a while since giving 'em a listen. I never did like that band.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 am 

Thanks for the replies so far.But i cannot believe that those are the only folk metal bands that know how to make happy music??

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 am 

There are plenty more. I don't tend to gravitate to these bands so much, personally. But here are a few more bands for ya.

-Kalevala (Rus): http://www.myspace.com/kalevalafolk

-Kromlek, a Finntroll-esque band. Their 2nd album is better then their former imo: http://www.myspace.com/kromlek

-Lyriel, more of a folk rock sound going on here. I don't know anything about their newest, but the 2 before fit your want: http://www.myspace.com/lyrielband

MorskNorsk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:06 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far.But i cannot believe that those are the only folk metal bands that know how to make happy music??
Try DoomSword from Italy. Viking / doom. Excellent stuff, though not so folky.

NightProwler666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:09 pm 

I'm looking for bands similar to Finntroll but with english lyrics. Any recommendations?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 pm 

NightProwler666 wrote:
I'm looking for bands similar to Finntroll but with english lyrics. Any recommendations?
I know bands like Finntroll, but not ones that have English lyrics. I think you will be hard pressed to find this specific preference.

~Guest 224506
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:07 am 

Hey, a mate of mine liked some of the folk metal I showed him (minus the metal, surprisingly), so I'm wondering if there are any folk-metal bands out there (preferably with Norse/Norwegian/Swedish folk influences) with a minimal of metal and a maximum of folk.
Odd request, but cheers!

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:18 am 

Butkuiss wrote:
Hey, a mate of mine liked some of the folk metal I showed him (minus the metal, surprisingly), so I'm wondering if there are any folk-metal bands out there (preferably with Norse/Norwegian/Swedish folk influences) with a minimal of metal and a maximum of folk.
Odd request, but cheers!

Fejd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0JZab7-wE8

Manegarm's Urminnes Havd EP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4NlLVS ... re=related

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 pm 

excluding the norse aspect but including a latvian one ;), Skyforger's "Zobena Dziesma / Sword Song" is a purely folk-based album...

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm 

Eluveitie's Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion and Elvenking's Elvenking - Two Tragedy Poets (...And a Caravan of Weird Figures) are both acoustic /pure folk albums.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:59 pm 

I'm looking for a band that plays nearly pure folk in the style of Finnish Polka and has these instruments

- Vocals (male preferably)
- Accordian (I'd like this to dominate)
- Fiddle/Johuikko?
- Flute
- Electric Bass/Tuba

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:00 pm 

kale100 wrote:
I'm looking for a band that plays nearly pure folk in the style of Finnish Polka and has these instruments

- Vocals (male preferably)
- Accordian (I'd like this to dominate)
- Fiddle/Johuikko?
- Flute
- Electric Bass/Tuba

Well I'll be damned when I hear a Metal band with a Tube. Well the closest thing to Finnish Polka With metal would have to be Early Finntroll. But, I think you may have heard of them.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:28 pm 

Yeah of course. I like Korpiklaani's take on the style better though.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:02 pm 

Any recommendations for bands similar to Thyrfing and later Månegarm? Preferably with those raw vocals (not growls). It should not be too dark and depressive, nor should it be too happy (like Korpiklaani) but still have that viking spirit.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

pilawhitetrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:03 pm 

i'm new to this genre so i'm looking for the more mainstream bands to start with. which ones of the ones listed are considered the more mainstream or easy to get into?

I really enjoy those that have a melodic/singing chorus. My favorites include Eluveitie, Korpiklaani and Tyr. I like Inis Mona, Hail to the Hammer and Wooden Pints, etc.

Thanks in advance.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:14 pm 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
i REALLY need recs on more bands like this.The happier and cheesier the better :D

You asked for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVe8yvstUhg

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:32 pm 

pilawhitetrash wrote:
i'm new to this genre so i'm looking for the more mainstream bands to start with. which ones of the ones listed are considered the more mainstream or easy to get into?

I really enjoy those that have a melodic/singing chorus. My favorites include Eluveitie, Korpiklaani and Tyr. I like Inis Mona, Hail to the Hammer and Wooden Pints, etc.

Thanks in advance.

If you want Mainstream Folk influenced music then there is only folk rock like Dylan or Simon and Garfunkel. Folk Metal isn't mainstream. Its Underground in the USA and Europe has some notice of it, mainly Finland (of Course). If you want that type of chorus with singing you would like Ensiferum, Heidevolk, and Falconer

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:03 am 

pilawhitetrash wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Have you heard Ensiferum?

Metalninja69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:57 am 

I want to find some good folk metal really similar to finntroll or jari era ensiferum. Just not really a fan of clean vocals.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm 

Metalninja69 wrote:
I want to find some good folk metal really similar to finntroll or jari era ensiferum. Just not really a fan of clean vocals.

I can't really think of anything similar to Ensiferum, folk-wise, but have you tried Korpiklaai? If memory serves, they do have sort of Finntroll sound to them. And always, always, listen to Moonsorrow.

EDIT:

Now that I think about it Aelstorm has a bit of an Ensiferum feel, minus the harsh vocals.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:43 pm 

Metalninja69 wrote:

I'd say Svartby - Kom I Min Kittel and Trollfest - Brakebein.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 am 

Are there any bands where the folk parts sound like this?

CarroArmato91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:55 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:

Equilibrium's Sagas is pretty happy music.
No, I really have crucified mallcore kids. It's what I do in my spare time.

It's true. Empyreal's post count - 1 for every slain mallcore marmite reject.

slinkun64
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:02 am 

I've done a bit of research lately but just can't find *quite* what I'm looking for.

A bit back a friend introduced me to Mago de Oz. I got pretty hooked... feeling like the songs varied from real catchy, upbeat folk with tons of hooks, or more metal songs with powerful riffs. Regardless of where individual songs placed in the genre, I really dig the clean vocals (dude's got a pretty awesome voice too), songwriting, and the level of emotion.

I was really looking for something very similair to Mago, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Many of the folk metal bands I've seen recommended around seem to be a bit on the death side (Ensiferum, (still awesome though)) or just don't quite have enough balls (Elvenking). It also seem there are many bands that just seem they threw in a violin or something... and it doesn't really fit or sound that folky... it's just rock with a violin.

But ya, something similair to Mago would be awesome. I don't speak a word of Spanish btw, so I'm not really looking for anything "culturally specific." Any help is appreciated, thanks!

GoHabsGoQC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:07 pm 

Salut

I'm looking for a bunch of bands that play Black pagan and/or viking and/or folk... As long as it has black metal in it

I already know of Windir, Enslaved, Myrkgrav, Forefather, Sorgsvart and I'd like something along these lines

Thanks

KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:07 pm 

GoHabsGoQC wrote:
Salut

I'm looking for a bunch of bands that play Black pagan and/or viking and/or folk... As long as it has black metal in it

I already know of Windir, Enslaved, Myrkgrav, Forefather, Sorgsvart and I'd like something along these lines

Thanks

Try Falkenbach, they're a viking/black metal band that does make use of clean vocals fairly frequently.
MA Page: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1071
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zna5-5MvAiI

Moonsorrow's newer material might also interest you, their older stuff may perhaps be too folky.
MA Page: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=89
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZRXEje4Xl8
I ran out of words.

Frostwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 am 

slinkun64 wrote:
I've done a bit of research lately but just can't find *quite* what I'm looking for.

A bit back a friend introduced me to Mago de Oz. I got pretty hooked... feeling like the songs varied from real catchy, upbeat folk with tons of hooks, or more metal songs with powerful riffs. Regardless of where individual songs placed in the genre, I really dig the clean vocals (dude's got a pretty awesome voice too), songwriting, and the level of emotion.

I was really looking for something very similair to Mago, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Many of the folk metal bands I've seen recommended around seem to be a bit on the death side (Ensiferum, (still awesome though)) or just don't quite have enough balls (Elvenking). It also seem there are many bands that just seem they threw in a violin or something... and it doesn't really fit or sound that folky... it's just rock with a violin.

But ya, something similair to Mago would be awesome. I don't speak a word of Spanish btw, so I'm not really looking for anything "culturally specific." Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Try maybe Tuatha de Danann? I really like them and share a bit of similarity with Mago

googens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:30 pm 

This may be an odd request, but is there any folk/viking whatever you call it that sounds similar to Manowar? You know, with heavy riffs, or similar vocals ect. It doesn't have to be about being metal or anything (hehe vikings singing about metal).

Mieresch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:35 pm 

GoHabsGoQC wrote:
Salut

Thanks

Temnozor, Kroda and later Nokturnal Mortum.

Also Negura Bunget are pretty folkish at times.

Frostwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:19 pm 

GoHabsGoQC wrote:
Salut

Thanks

Check out Astaarth's album Gloria Burgundia. That album is just ...wow

Think of epic black metal, with stabs of symphonic keyboards and a huge dose of Burgundian folk music (spoons, flute, hurdy gurdy, mouth harp, violin, accordian, bagpipes, banjo) and lots of whooping and shouting :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 42  Next