Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lucidreality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:37 pm 

Dismantling Devotion by Daylight Dies is rated 98% with 6 reviews...though that's not that many.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 pm 

lucidreality wrote:
Dismantling Devotion by Daylight Dies is rated 98% with 6 reviews...though that's not that many.

I intend to write a review for that album in the high 90s as well; such a killer album.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zoldaten_ov_Zatan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:53 pm 

Great thread... I know exactly what to start writing about!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 am 

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris - [14 reviews, average 97%]
Dream Theater - Awake - [16 reviews, average 96%]
Death - Human - [16 reviews, average 96%]
Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt - [17 reviews, average 95%]
Deicide - Legion - [16 reviews, average 95%]
Bathory - Blood Fire Death - [19 reviews, average 94%] <----- Mad props
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains - [16 reviews, average 94%]
Primordial - To The Nameless Dead - [14 reviews, average 95%]
Mercyful Fate - Melissa - [14 reviews, average 94%]
King Diamond - Abigail - [13 reviews, average 97%]
Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea - [13 reviews, average 93%]
Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny - [12 reviews, average 96%]

Honorable Mention: Terrorizer - World Downfall - [8 reviews, average 100%]

The ones in yellow to me are the ones pretty much on the brim of highest rated albums on the archives. Elvenefris, to me, needs one more review to claim the top spot; 14 is just one low, but 15 I'll count it right in. Still quite the feat staying alive at 97%.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:14 am 

I listened to the Lykathea Aflame album and it definitely doesn't deserve that rating. Neither do Dream Theater, Death, Arsis, Primordial and fucking Ahab.

Bathory, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Judas Priest and Terrorizer are fine with me. I don't think most of those deserve as high a rating as they have, but definitely all at least above 80%. The beginning of "Pace Till Death" keeps BFD from deserving a rating above 90%.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 am 

Screw you! Primordial and Ahab deserve all the love in the world... On those albums...

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 am 

What? Elvenefris is only like the 400th highest-rated metal album on RYM, and both The Call Of The Wretched Sea and A Celebration Of Guilt aren't even in the top 700. Bit strange.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:15 am 

EntilZha wrote:
I listened to the Lykathea Aflame album and it definitely doesn't deserve that rating. Neither do Dream Theater, Death, Arsis, Primordial and fucking Ahab.

In fairness it is by far Dream Theater's best album. I wouldn't rate so highly, though. Maybe an 85%-90%, but I haven't listened to it in a while.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:20 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
In fairness it is by far Dream Theater's best album. I wouldn't rate so highly, though. Maybe an 85%-90%, but I haven't listened to it in a while.

Yeah, somewhere around 85 is an appropriate rating for it. The only DT album deserving of an over 90 is Images and Words, although it would have been even better if they had ditched Take the Time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 pm 

I love "Take the Time." And also the albums Octavarium and Systematic Chaos. I'm going to give the newest one some more intense listens over the summer, too, when I have time.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 pm 

Take the Time is excellent, drop all that sappy bullshit like Surrounded and things would start to look up.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 pm 

All Dream Theater is fucking terrible. Not just that it's terrible music, but it's also terrible for putting me off prog metal for over a decade. Only since fairly recently am I beginning to realize that there are prog metal that aren't as fucking talentless and homoerotic as Dream Theater is, and I'm fucking mad at them for making me think the whole genre is as useless as they are. Fuck them, all their shit, every single note they played deserves no more than 0%.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:55 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Yeah, somewhere around 85 is an appropriate rating for it. The only DT album deserving of an over 90 is Images and Words, although it would have been even better if they had ditched Another Day.

Fixed. I don't know how any self respecting person can listen to the sax solo in Another Day and say 'yeah that's cool, I like this'. Worst thing ever.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:05 pm 

I like that song more than "Take The Time;" the solo wasn't bad - relaxing.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:41 pm 

Shouldn't Deicide's Legion be up there in yellow, Ozzy? 16 at 95%.

And don't forget Beneath The Remains.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:54 pm 

It should, though I was just looking back on those mentioned in the thread and putting them all on one page.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 pm 

Ah, okay. I wasn't exactly sure how you compiled the list.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:07 pm 

Pfuntner wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Yeah, somewhere around 85 is an appropriate rating for it. The only DT album deserving of an over 90 is Images and Words, although it would have been even better if they had ditched Another Day.

Fixed. I don't know how any self respecting person can listen to the sax solo in Another Day and say 'yeah that's cool, I like this'. Worst thing ever.

I like that song and "Suffocated" as well. Good stuff.

harbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:45 am 

Gorguts doesn't have too many reviews on any of their albums, but if there was a band whose albums collectively had the most highest (however you phrase it) reviews, Gorguts would def be in the running. The new one might solidify them some more.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:15 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Take the Time is excellent, drop all that sappy bullshit like Surrounded and things would start to look up.

Finally someone who agres with me; that horrid poppy abortion is easily the worst moment of the album (yes, I'm fine with Another Day); the fact that they ripped off Queen's Father to Son on its intro makes my stomach churn even more.

Edit: Add to that the fact I just wasted my 2000th post discussing its shittiness. God. Fucking. Damn it.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 am 

EntilZha wrote:
All Dream Theater is fucking terrible. Not just that it's terrible music, but it's also terrible for putting me off prog metal for over a decade. Only since fairly recently am I beginning to realize that there are prog metal that aren't as fucking talentless and homoerotic as Dream Theater is, and I'm fucking mad at them for making me think the whole genre is as useless as they are. Fuck them, all their shit, every single note they played deserves no more than 0%.

Whatever you say, Boris.

Anyway Images & Words is decent at best. It gets really nauseatingly sappy too often.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 am 

I think I own four DT CDs and Images & Words is the only one I can stomach really. I suppose it's the best that rather straightforward, bland prog can get.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:31 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

Whatever you say, Boris.

:lol:

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:11 pm 

EntilZha wrote:

And this my friends is what we call "lunar commercial psychosis". It's when an individual finds their opinion challenged by what they are hearing. Their mind begins to self destruct with the thought they could be wrong, and the music is then shut off.

The idea that something popular could be good, surely you jest!

Eurnonymous on Eparistera Daimones wrote:
rumor has it that Tom Warrior's massive guitar tone on this album has been the cause of all the major earthquakes happening worldwide.

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Pfuntner wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

I like that song and "Suffocated" as well. Good stuff.

That song is awesome what's wrong with you? The sax solo is brilliant and the fact you can dislike it that much is quite humorous. Actually , I&W is overall completely good, but Awake tops it. Personally, I think the love the album gets is completely deserved considering it is brilliant. It seems like most people here dislike DT because they can be sappy or poppy at times but I don't limit myself that way.

rumor has it that Tom Warrior's massive guitar tone on this album has been the cause of all the major earthquakes happening worldwide.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:47 am 

I'm going to ban you (and any dupes you may create) permanently the next time I see you lean on any variation of the "doesn't like it just because it's popular" crutch, Whackyoozero--in any situation or context, an hour from now or a year from now. For a person who so clearly views Open-Mindedness (TM) as a self-evident religious mandate, you do a remarkably poor job of living by its essential prelates.

If the quality of forum discourse is going to improve, it is going to require that users new and old develop a modicum of dialectic charity when speaking to one another, especially where disagreements of principle are concerned.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:04 am 

^Fair enough, those were bullshit posts.

AtDusk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:19 pm 

Lurker of Chalice has 9 reviews and 93%. Not quite as high as some of the albums listed but still fairly impressive. I think it deserves it, too.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 am 

Esoteric is another doom band that deserves a mention. COnsistently high with all their albums.
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=353
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 pm 

lucidreality wrote:

Impressive, although Borknagar's The Olden Domain hasn't been mentioned yet and it holds the same average but with one more review.

EntilZha wrote:

Bathory, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Judas Priest and Terrorizer are fine with me. I don't think most of those deserve as high a rating as they have, but definitely all at least above 80%. The beginning of "Pace Till Death" keeps BFD from deserving a rating above 90%.

EntilZha wrote:

You're talking an incredible amount of bullshit here.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:31 am 

Razakel wrote:
Impressive, although Borknagar's The Olden Domain hasn't been mentioned yet and it holds the same average but with one more review.

Well I could abruptly correct that. It's not that good an album.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:59 am 

Fates Warning's The Spectre Within has 6 reviews with an average of 98%.
Blind Guardian's Somewhere Far Beyond has 16 reviews with an average of 94%.
Helloween's Gambling with the Devil has 12 reviews with an average of 93%.
Queensryche's s/t has 10 reviews with an average of 92%.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:48 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
Razakel wrote:

Well, anyone could "correct" any of the albums mentioned here. I'm not sure what I'd give that Borknagar album, although I think I prefer the debut.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:35 pm 

Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler (20 / 93%)
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden (21 / 91%)

MetalHeadNorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:30 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
Razakel wrote:

It's pretty damn good though, I'd give it around a 90.

What do you mean by that? How quickly I reply?

Tormentor312
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:39 am 

haha needle probably made his account just to make this thread.

on a site, and forum which i cannot mention the name of, he rec's the album in his OP pretty much every post he makes, and talks about them on IRC all the time, i asked him if anything is higher rated.

my contribution to the thread : priest's sad wings and stained class were both 96% last i checked with 10+reviews each.

btw does anyone else think itd be awesome if the site had a feature to sort reviews by sub genre, and then by highest rating, and then be able to say (min amount of reviews = X)

so look up black metal albums sorted by highest review, that need a min of 5 reviews.

i would use this feature all day.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:37 am 

I don't really understand the new negative review of Elvenefris. I mean, I like the album, but it seems like many of the logical criticisms that could be made of it (a reliance on major key melodies, the near constant switching between acoustic guitar-only passages and blasting brutal death, a somewhat monodimensional vocal performance) are absent in favor of stuff that really doesn't make much sense.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:00 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
I don't really understand the new negative review of Elvenefris. I mean, I like the album, but it seems like many of the logical criticisms that could be made of it (a reliance on major key melodies, the near constant switching between acoustic guitar-only passages and blasting brutal death, a somewhat monodimensional vocal performance) are absent in favor of stuff that really doesn't make much sense.
I know, it seemed a bit lacking in variety of criticism. He didn't even touch on the worst part of the album: the production.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:42 pm 

I really don't get the complaints people have about the production at all. I see nothing wrong with it. It's clear, powerful, and balanced.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:46 pm 

Same about the production - the only two things I don't like about the album are the drums (hate hollow snares so much) and the lack of real identity with the songs. With the middle eastern tunes, though, I guess the drums do kind of fit (in a tribal sense).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next