Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SteelCranium
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:23 am 

Las Vegas. And not Zia records, I, uh was kind of kicked out of there 5 years ago while I was in a stage of ignorant delinquency that got scared out of me the hard way.
This is becoming so cliche... Why not have a change, like a bassist murdering his bands guitarist, or a pissed off quazi dead teen blasting himself with a shotgun as his guitarist makes brain brownies?

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:24 am 

Geneva, Switzerland.
I think it would be quite unlikely that Geneva doesn't have one. But I couldn't find any.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:15 pm 

Anything in Upstate New York? I know there used to be something in Watertown years ago, but I no idea if its still around.

People seem to bash FYE, but I've had very good expierence there. The one I go to has most CDs for $9.99 or $12.99. The selection is pretty damn good to, but I still would like to check out another store.

Marwyn_Blackstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:26 pm 

CountBlagorath wrote:
People seem to bash FYE, but I've had very good expierence there. The one I go to has most CDs for $9.99 or $12.99. The selection is pretty damn good to, but I still would like to check out another store.

Yeah I've actually scored a few gems from mine was well for reasonable prices. Got the new Sunn and Dead Poems by Rotting Christ most recently.

Argonauth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:07 pm 

Marwyn_Blackstar wrote:
CountBlagorath wrote:

Yeah I've actually scored a few gems from mine was well for reasonable prices. Got the new Sunn and Dead Poems by Rotting Christ most recently.

I used to think they pretty much sucked, for metal for sure at least (they're great for cheaper wrestling DVD's, though!)
That is until I found one hidden in a mall recently and was shocked at their selection, managed to get the new Immortal disc for $9.99, that was a very nice surprise!

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:11 am 

Most of the time FYE does have a bad selection I did pick up Marduk's Wormwood from there in Dallas and the one where i live is said to be making a metal section, but I assume it will be the more popular stuff such as above.

Im going to Austin Texas in a few weeks anyone know any stores there. I will also swing by San Antonio and see if Hogwild is still open, though the site hasnt been updated since March 2009

Most of Dallas's stores are gone there is one but i can't remember its name but the prices were high and the selection doesnt change very often.

carnival_corpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 pm 

I will be in vacations in Orlando, Florida in May. Looking for metal shops near this area.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:33 pm 

carnival_corpse wrote:
I will be in vacations in Orlando, Florida in May. Looking for metal shops near this area.

As far as I know, all the metal shops in central Florida have closed their storefronts and are operating exclusively as distros. If you find anything, though, post it! I'm in Orlando quite often and I'm always bored as hell and looking for metal stuff to do.

RottingInHumanity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:23 pm 

Deathly_Gloom wrote:
One cool thing I find about Texas, although we lack a significant metal scene at shows, unique records stores that carry actual worth while releases are abundant. Well At least Houston, Austin and San Antonio do, I'm not sure about Dallas.

I moved from Dallas/Ft. Worth a little over two years ago, now I live just north of Houston in the Conroe area. We have some decent venues down here (The White Swan, Walter's on Washington, Meridian, Engine Room, etc...), however I have YET to find any actual metal shops. Asides from live venues, what good shops are around here? For now unless I'm at a concert, I buy mostly everything online.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:39 am 

DoomDoll wrote:
Rochester, NY. HAHAHAHA. Yeah right.

Heavy Metal Records out in Webster
House of Guitars and Record Archive in Irondequoit

HMR is definitely a great stop for metal. Tons of stuff, although I do think it's somewhat expensive (As far as I know every CD there is worth $15). HoG and Record Archive is mixed in with other types of music, but you can definitely find metal at both of those places.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:12 pm 

GrtUnclean wrote:
I will also swing by San Antonio and see if Hogwild is still open
It is.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:25 pm 

thomash wrote:
carnival_corpse wrote:

As far as I know, all the metal shops in central Florida have closed their storefronts and are operating exclusively as distros. If you find anything, though, post it! I'm in Orlando quite often and I'm always bored as hell and looking for metal stuff to do.

I travel to Orlando often too and the cd stores there are really going downhill. There used to be a great FYE in the Florida mall but they were going out of business when I was there in December. My family got $900 worth of cd's for $500 because they were having such an intense sale. And of course Virgin records closed down. It wasn't cheap, but you could find some decent Metal records there.

Also, anything in Toronto? The HMV superstore is massive and has a great selection but every single cd is 19.99 there and I'd rather just order online at those prices.

captain2man
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:02 am 

MGSX666 wrote:
From my last thread, are there any good metal stores in the NYC/Long Island area?

Like you said - Slipped Disc in Valley Stream was one of the best singularly-devoted metal stores I've ever been to. Place wasn't big....but he seemed to always have everything in stock.

There's a place that opened up in East Northport (Suffolk County) called Long Island Vinyl Exchange.

http://longislandvinylexchange.com/

If this place has 250,000 records - there's gotta be some good metal finds in there. I have to get myself over there soon.

DoomDoll wrote:

This is ridiculous.

House of Guitars is a sick, sick store.

http://www.houseofguitars.com/

Mayhem1993
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 pm 

DoomDoll wrote:

Theres a great metal store in rochester, ny called heavy metal records. i live 5 minutes away and go there almost every day. great black metal imports and other hard to find items.

Mayhem1993
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:31 pm 

Mayhem1993 wrote:
DoomDoll wrote:

Theres a great metal store in rochester, ny called heavy metal records. i live 5 minutes away and go there almost every day. great black metal imports and other hard to find items.

every saturday there is a sale where some items are marked down

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:09 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
Cape Town, South Africa?

I've been on the lookout for ages but I've yet to find anything. There apparently used to be a store in Town but it catered more to the goth crowd and it's closed down now. :(

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:39 pm 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
absurder21 wrote:
Cape Town, South Africa?

I've been on the lookout for ages but I've yet to find anything. There apparently used to be a store in Town but it catered more to the goth crowd and it's closed down now. :(

Seems like the entire African continent is now a no-go with metal stores. In the early to mid-nineties there were three good ones in Johannesburg - Total Chaos, Death Valley and I forget the name of the third one, but they all had really good vinyls and stuff that is supposedly 'rare' these days on eBay.

So yeah, Africa as a whole can be scratched off with regards to having any stores devoted to metal, and that is sadder than the situation in Sudan if you ask me.

mrinaljce
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:38 am 

Are there any Indian metalheads out there? I need to know where i can get cds in India. Or is online purchase the only way?

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:21 am 

mrinaljce wrote:
Are there any Indian metalheads out there? I need to know where i can get cds in India. Or is online purchase the only way?

Depends on what you are looking for and where you live. In Jaipur, we can find stuff like Anthrax, Slayer, Dream Theater, Machine Head etc (only the recent releases, mind you). Bigger cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore have albums from 'relatively' lesser known bands. My friends from these cities tell of finding stuff like Morbid Angel, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death etc in stores sometimes. But truth be said, in India buying online is the only option if you are looking for anything remotely underground. But who knows I may be surprised in future.

mrinaljce
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:07 am 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

Depends on what you are looking for and where you live. In Jaipur, we can find stuff like Anthrax, Slayer, Dream Theater, Machine Head etc (only the recent releases, mind you). Bigger cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore have albums from 'relatively' lesser known bands. My friends from these cities tell of finding stuff like Morbid Angel, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death etc in stores sometimes. But truth be said, in India buying online is the only option if you are looking for anything remotely underground. But who knows I may be surprised in future.

Any idea about where the stores are in bangalore? or any store name?

CrionicsMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:30 am 

Does anybody know of anything in Richmond, Virginia? Preferably closer to Midlothian, VA. I know of Plan 9, but it is still a 20 minute drive for me, anything closer to Midlothian?

Jebator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 pm 

Good shops in London, UK?

(I've searched the thread, and no shops mentioned in London yet)

All shops with metal are welcome and that includes also big stores that sell metal among other genres.

Thank you!

MetalManiak666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:45 pm 

Any metal shops in Highland Park, California?
In the Los Angeles area.

I only know about,
"The Rock Shop" on Figueroa- have a decent selection like mayhem shirts and dark throne, etc...
"MCMC" at the eagle rock plaza- Mostly mainstream metal bands like slayer , cannibal corpse, etc...

I used to go to "The Faktory" in Huntington Park but it recently closed,
got some Awsome Mortician, Six Feet Under, Morbid Angel, and Immortal T's from there.

And there's another shop on huntington park called "The Scream" but last time a saw like 3 yrs+ ago they only had like M.M. , mortor head, and punk T's...

deathmetal891
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:31 pm 

METAL HAVEN CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carcass101
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:12 pm 

deathmetal891 wrote:
METAL HAVEN CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... is going out of business in like 17 minutes.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:28 pm 

Mayhem1993 wrote:
DoomDoll wrote:

WHAT?! How come I've never known about this?! Holy shit! This just made my day!

Sigillum_Dei_Ameth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:16 pm 

I'm about to take a trip to Europe and I'll be heading to Amsterdam, Germany near the Frankfurt/Munich area, and Prauge and I need to know some good places where one lucky yank might be able to score some rare or imported stuff.

Jebator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:27 pm 

Prague is mentioned in some of the posts above.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:37 am 

I know this is kind of crapshoot, but: Does anybody know of any good stores around the Southcoast area of Massachusetts? For reference, these are the ones I know of:

The Newbury Comics in Dartmouth is excellent overall--I've even found a number of things in the used section that made my jaw drop--but the selection often seems too limited.

Armageddon Shop is fucking awesome. No complaints, I'd just like more variety in shopping venues.

Spinnaker in Hyannis was like the Holy Grail to me when I first went about 11 years ago. Their metal section was the best I've ever seen--they had shit to drool over just sitting disorganized in boxes. New, old, rare...they had just about everything I was looking for at the time. I think I spent about 2 hours there and probably pissed off the friend who brought me. Anyway, I swung by a few years ago on my way home from work and died a little when I saw the dinky Munchkinland metal section. Does anyone know if it's, you know, gotten better at all? Or is it still a faggy hipster mecca?

Words & Music: Are they kaput? Moving to Dartmouth right next to Newbury Comics was a stupid idea, and it wouldn't surprise me if they folded altogether. They'd been in Fairhaven for years, and I almost always found something killer there, either new or used.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:04 am 

mrinaljce wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

Any idea about where the stores are in bangalore? or any store name?

Cant help you here as I dont live in Bangalore. A friend of mine does live there but I havent been in touch with him in a long time. I ll PM you if I find something.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 am 

To add to that, maybe you could save money by ordering from people like Demonstealer who distribute metal CDs in India at a low price. But your options would still be limited. If you want something very specific and somewhat obscure, you would have to order from the labels and then it's going to cost a lot. As someone who has ordered CDs and DVDs online before, I can tell you that the shipping cost from USA to India would be high enough to amount to the price of a CD in a local store.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 am 

saintinhell wrote:
To add to that, maybe you could save money by ordering from people like Demonstealer who distribute metal CDs in India at a low price. But your options would still be limited.

I had no idea that they actually kept releases from outside their label. Looked around the forums today and turns out that they have a few worthy albums on their distro (I noticed Cosmic Atrophy's Codex Incubo there :) ). But still teh choice is extremely limited, the prices though are incredibly low for some albums.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 am 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
saintinhell wrote:
To add to that, maybe you could save money by ordering from people like Demonstealer who distribute metal CDs in India at a low price. But your options would still be limited.

I had no idea that they actually kept releases from outside their label. Looked around the forums today and turns out that they have a few worthy albums on their distro (I noticed Cosmic Atrophy's Codex Incubo there :) ). But still teh choice is extremely limited, the prices though are incredibly low for some albums.

I get alerts from friends for when Demonstealer has got stock of foreign releases, but have so far not found an album I may have been looking for. Didn't know that about CA though. :wtf:

mrinaljce
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:52 am 

saintinhell wrote:
To add to that, maybe you could save money by ordering from people like Demonstealer who distribute metal CDs in India at a low price. But your options would still be limited. If you want something very specific and somewhat obscure, you would have to order from the labels and then it's going to cost a lot. As someone who has ordered CDs and DVDs online before, I can tell you that the shipping cost from USA to India would be high enough to amount to the price of a CD in a local store.

Oh well,looks like i'll have to order online after all. Did not know about Demonstealer distributing cds. Thanks for the info. :)

james1902009
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm 

Any shops near Columbiana, Ohio (about 20 minutes south of Youngstown)?

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:37 am 

Hey guys, I don't have much internet time here at the moment so I can't go through the entire thread, but if anyone can recommend some stores/venues etc. in London I'd appreciate if you'd post it up here (and double appreciation if you could PM me, too) - thanks.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:59 pm 

mrblaash wrote:
For Phoenix area there is Zia records, and Metal Devastation.. Anyone looking for gauntlets check out MD - they have quality work..

http://metaldevastation.com/

blaash

www.bahimiron.com
www.myspace.com/bahimiron
www.myspace.com/towardsglobalholocaust

I was in Phoenix recently and Metal Devastation didn't bother actually opening their store; no wonder the metal scene is failing with that sort of 'professionalism'.

Zia, on the other hand, while kind of a hipster store, has a good selection and fairly decent prices. My advice: stay away from anything attached to major US labels like Moribund and Southern Lord, as their prices are ridiculously high ($14 for a CD? Not gonna happen). If you hunt through the used selection it's good. Also, don't rely just on the metal section; there's a lot of miscategorized stuff in the big rock section that tends to be weird and cool. For instance, I got an obscure Bohemian Grove EP. A pretty good shop if you can stomach the clientele.

Xterminator333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:06 pm 

Is there any place in troy michigan?

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:39 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
I was in Phoenix recently and Metal Devastation didn't bother actually opening their store; no wonder the metal scene is failing with that sort of 'professionalism'.

Not that there's ever any chance of me going there, but I think you need to qualify that statement. Why didn't they bother opening the store? Were there a bunch of people sitting in there laughing and pointing at you while you frantically tried to open the door? Was it a Sunday and were they observing the Sabbath like good Christians? Is it actually a storefront?

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:22 pm 

Yes, it's actually a storefront. It was a weekday, I showed up at opening, then milled around town for two hours waiting for someone to show up and open it. Even stopped at the sign-making shop next door and asked them what was up and they didn't know since those guys are apparently 'always there'. They just didn't bother opening.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next