Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:03 pm 

Hello everyone! Sorry if the title is a little misleading, but I'm looking for some covers by Thrash and Speed metal bands of non-metal music!

Some cover song's I've already heard that I really like are Heathen's cover of The Sweet's "Set Me Free", and Realm's cover of the Beatles "Eleanor Rigby":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj6llc4F ... re=related - Heathen "Set me Free" (The Sweet)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH_-RaUNXh8 - Realm "Eleanor Rigby" (The Beatles cover)

Before anyone suggests anything from Megadeth or Metallica, I've already heard it! Also, please don't suggest any death metal, or anything with overly harsh vocals. I'm just not into it at the moment!

Hope to get some awesome suggestions! Thanks in advance!

childrenofthenight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:23 pm 

The Accused - boris the spider (the who cover)

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:46 pm 

ghoul do a pretty sweet cover of "what a wonderful world" on their "maniaxe" album
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:10 pm 

Slayer made a cover album and Flotsam and Jetsam covered Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting"
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:23 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone! I'm in classes at the moment, but I will make sure to listen to them as soon as I get the chance!

@ZOMBIE
I already have Slayer's cover album, but it's not necessarily what I'm looking for. Something more along the lines of high energy, higher pitched clean vocals! And I've already heard Flotsam and Jetsam's cover! One of theirs that I really like! Thanks again!

Keep em' coming!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:04 pm 

The only thing that comes to mind is Metal Church's cover of Highway Star, although I'm sure you already know that one. Deep Purple isn't entirely Metal and Metal Church really adds a lot of energy to it so I think it's worth reccomending.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:05 pm 

Finally got a chance to listen to all of your suggestions!

@childrenofthenight
Kind of interesting, although the vocals aren't exactly what I was looking for. Still though, it's always cool to hear a cover that has ones own twist on it!

@dontlivefastjustdie
Not exactly what I'm looking for, but definitely different then the original, which is always nice! Pretty cool cover!

@Spiner202
Sorry, I can't say I have before, but it's really awesome! Just what I'm looking for! Keep them coming if you know of anymore like this! :D

Thanks again everyone! Another great cover that I've heard is Wrathchild Americas version of Pink Floyd's "Time"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMAwUGIDPTY

Matty_The_Emo_Slayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:12 pm 

childrenofthenight wrote:
The Accused - boris the spider (the who cover)

Don't forget their cover of "Devil Woman" by Cliff Richard

http://www.metalireland.com/miwiki/inde ... Blaze_Zine

metalfreak_1994
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:49 pm 

Sodom did a cover of Bryan Adam's "The Kids Wanna Rock" on The Saw is the Law EP. I don't know if the vocals are too harsh than what you requested, but it's worth a shot.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:33 pm 

Vader does a cover of a depeche mode song. you can find it on De Profundis or Future of the Past. It's not a fast song, but it's kinda cool, check it out

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:45 pm 

@metalfreak_1994
That's awesome, and just made my day lol! Great rec! :D

@Metal81
That's definitely something, but not exactly what I was looking for! Thanks anyways for the suggestion!!

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:18 pm 

Iced Earth - Tribute to the Gods

A full length of just covers; Kiss, Maiden, AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Sabbath, Cooper, and Preist. I remember liking their version of Kiss' God of Thunder.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:46 pm 

@Slag
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have that album to! Love their cover of "Screaming for Vengeance". I'll make sure to give it another listen soon!

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:53 pm 

I don't know how familiar you are with Anthrax, but just in case:

Fistful of Metal - I'm Eighteen (Alice Cooper)
Persistence of Time - Got the Time (Joe Jackson)
State of Euphoria - Antisocial (Trust)

Some others:

Coroner - I Want You (She's So Heavy) ... The Beatles
Destruction - My Sharona ... The Knack
Exodus - Overdose / Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap ... AC/DC

I'm sure I know of more - I just can't think of them at the moment.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 pm 

Anacrusis took New Model Army's I Love the World and completely made it their own.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:59 pm 

I about to check out the Destruction cover. Sounds hilarious!

Blind Guardian covered Barbara Ann, In a gadda da vidda, Surfin in the USA, and Mr. Sandman

Demons & Wizards covered White Room and Immigrant Song

[Edit] remembered some more

Whiskey_Bonbons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 am 

IF you're ok with modern thrash, try Coverkill by Overkill. Their cover of Hymn 43 (Jethro Tull) is really good.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:54 am 

Anthrax also covered The Sex Pistol's "Friggin in the Riggin", good version too! Sanctuary covered Jefferson Aeroplanes "White Rabbit".

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:16 am 

The Accused also cover Green Eyed Lady by Sugar Loaf

wakemeup36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 am 

A really well known one is Megadeth's cpver of Anarchy In The UK. Surprised it's not been mentioned yet. And yeah, Slayer and Overkill have done tons of punk covers.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:18 am 

wakemeup36 wrote:
A really well known one is Megadeth's cpver of Anarchy In The UK.

Read the first post dude.

wakemeup36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:38 am 

STORMM wrote:
wakemeup36 wrote:
A really well known one is Megadeth's cpver of Anarchy In The UK.

Read the first post dude.

Oops... My bad.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:33 am 

Another one Nuclear Assaults "Happy Days" was an amusing cover. To be honest there are so many it is actual difficult to remember many at one time, this could get to be a long thread!

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:35 am 

@MercyfulSatyr
Yes, yes I have haha! I have all their albums, so I've heard all those covers, but thanks again! I'll taken a listen to your other suggestions, even though I can't seem to get into Coroner (It's the vocals), and I've already heard Exodus's cover of "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap". Thanks again though!

@HamburgerBoy
I'll take a listen to it, but I wasn't to impressed with the vocals. Thanks for the rec though!

@Slag
Wow, Blind Guardian has done a few! I'll make sure to take a listen to them as soon as I get the chance. I'll also take a listen to the Demon's & Wizards ones!

@Whiskey_Bonbons
Haven't heard it, but I'll make sure to later! Thanks!

@STORMM
As I mentioned earlier, I have the majority of Anthrax's albums, so I have already heard their cover of "Friggin in the Riggin"! Also, I've already heard Sanctuary's cover of "White Rabbit", which is pretty cool! I haven't heard Nuclear Assaults cover of "Happy Days" yet though, and I like quite a bit of their stuff, so I'll check it out! Thanks!

@206
As I stated earlier, I wasn't really impressed with The Accused's vocals, but I'll give that song a listen! Thanks!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:58 pm 

Destruction covered The Knack's "My Sharona" on the Cracked Brain album, Gothic Slam did Thin Lizzy's "Thunder & Lightning" on the just a face.. cd, great version. Pain done The Beatles "Elenor Rigby" on their nothing remains... album, Acid Reign covered The Nerves "Hanging On The Telephone" as well as Bad News "Warriors of Ghangis Khan" on their worst of... album. Tankard covered “Try Again” by Geniale Spermbirds on the morning after album. Annihilator covered AC/DC’s “Riff Raff” on the re-released refresh the demon album. Korean thrashers Crash covered Deep Purple’s “Smoke On The Water” on their endless supply... album, I believe Metalium also covered this song. This release is not speed/thrash but Helloween did a full album of covers on their cd “Metal Jukebox”.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:09 pm 

Running Wild did a reasonably descent cover of 'Revolution' (Beatles).

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:34 pm 

@MercyfulSatyr
Took a listen to Coroner's cover, and still can't seem to get into them due to the vocals. No offense if your a big fan, as I've only heard good things about them, but the vocal's just aren't my style! Destruction's cover of "My Sharona" was pretty cool though! Thanks for the rec!

@HamburgerBoy
Wow, I had already heard that song before, and had no idea it was a cover! Learn something new every day! Thanks again!

@Slag
Barbara Ann and Surfin USA are a little to close to the originals for my tastes, but that cover of Mr. Sandman is effin' awesome, and their cover of "In a Gadda Da Vidda" is pretty good to! Demon & Wizard's cover of "White Room" is wicked awesome (I love the original), and "Immigrant Song" isn't bad either! Nice rec's!

@Whiskey_Bonbons
That was pretty awesome! If only Jethro Tull actually sounded like that, then I could that whole Grammy win years back would have made sense!

@206
As I stated earlier, I wasn't really impressed with The Accused's vocals, but I'll give that song a listen! Thanks!

@STORMM
That's awesome lol! I can always count on Nuclear Assault to put a smile on my face! Thanks for that! :D
Also, I'll get to all those other ones you just suggested!

@Ericfg
That's a pretty cool cover! Thank's for the rec!

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:50 pm 

lawrencek wrote:
@Slag
Barbara Ann and Surfin USA are a little to close to the originals for my tastes, but that cover of Mr. Sandman is effin' awesome, and their cover of "In a Gadda Da Vidda" is pretty good to! Demon & Wizard's cover of "White Room" is wicked awesome (I love the original), and "Immigrant Song" isn't bad either! Nice rec's!

First; personal props for personally answering everyone hear. Good on ya mate!

Secondly; a couple posts back of yours - Screaming for Vengence rocks!

Thirdly; yea I agree with you B.A. and S. USA.

-Also Slayer and Jag Panzer did a In a Gadda Da Vidda cover. Both good takes.

-Iron Maiden did I'm a mover by Free as well as Communication Breakdown by Zepplin.

-Grave Digger's album Lost Tunes from the Vault has a bunch of covers

-Running Wild did revolution by The Beatles

-Not a fan of Hammerfall myself but they do have an album of around 20 covers. It is called Masterpieces.

That ought to fill your plate :D

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:31 am 

I try my best to reply to everyone's suggestion in hopes that I'll get better results! It seems to be paying off so far! But thanks!

Yes, Iced Earth's cover of "Screaming for Vengeance" rocks! It's something about the bass and drums at the start the does it for me! The bass frequency's might be pumped up on my copy of the song, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

I've already heard Slayer's version of In a Gadda Da Vidda, but I'll definitely take a listen to Jag Panzers! I already like some of their stuff when Chris Broderick was still on guitar, so I can't seem them doing anything bad with it!

I'm sure I've heard of Maiden's covers as I have a copy of their "Best of the B'Sides", but I'll give them another listen!

I'll try and check out those cover's that Grave Digger did, but I have to admit, I'm more into Grim Reaper haha! Also, I'll give Hamerfalls covers a go! And Ericfg posted about Running Wild's cover of "Revolution" a few posts back, but thanks again!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:30 am 

lawrencek wrote:

@STORMM
That's awesome lol! I can always count on Nuclear Assault to put a smile on my face! Thanks for that! :D
Also, I'll get to all those other ones you just suggested!

Yea it is a funny cover, they also covered Led Zep's "Good Times..Bad Times..." and Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz", I think you should like these also.
Also check out MOD's stuff, especially "Surfin mod" cd, it features a few covers of the the likes of the Beach boys, Scream, Chicago etc they also have other covers on other albums such as The Fear's "Livin In The City", The Functional Idiots "He's Dead Jim", they even have a funny cover of the Bonanza theme song.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:48 am 

Slag wrote:

-Iron Maiden did I'm a mover by Free as well as Communication Breakdown by Zepplin.

That Communication Breakdown cover is horrible! I love Maiden but Bruce ruins that song!

Their cover of Massacre by Thin Lizzy is pretty godawful too.

To elaborate, both are musically competent but they just can't touch the originals and Bruce's vocals don't fit at all.

A great Maiden cover would be Doctor, Doctor (UFO)

And yeah, this is kinda off topic, my bad!

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:29 am 

@STORMM
I believe I've already heard their cover of "Good Times... Bad Times...", but I'll give it a listen just in case I haven't already. I don't think I've heard their cover of "Ballroom Blitz", so I'll definitely give that a listen!

Seeing as how I've never listened to any M.O.D., I'll have to give your rec's a listen! The Chicago cover sounds like it would be quite interesting! Thanks again for the rec's!

@Pippin_Took
It wasn't exactly my favorite cover album either, but I think it's just because I love Maiden's original stuff way more. I guess it's easier to see new bands covering their stuff or something!

thrash0626
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm 

Wargasm covered Fireball from Deep Purple. Its sad that they dont get more recognition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXxfEn2XmM

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:35 am 

Anthrax-Got The Time.
Great cover.

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

Bloodkrishna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:56 am 

Viking - Pat Benatar "Hell is for children" cover from man of straw album!

Intruder "I'm not your stepping stone" (Monkees cover) and "25 or 6 to 4" (Chicago cover)

Believer Like a Song (U2 Cover)

those covers are great [especially Viking one!!!]

xXxJackpotxXx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 am 

Exodus have also done a cover of "Lowrider".

Theres another one I thought of earlier but can't remember,will post it when I do.

Last edited by xXxJackpotxXx on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:03 pm 

@thrash0626
Thanks for the rec! It's a pretty sweet cover!

@Acidchrist
I've already heard "Got the Time", but I'll definitely take another listen! Thanks for reminding me!

@Bloodkrishna
Thank's for the rec's! I have to admit though, they weren't really what I'm looking for! Thanks again though!

@xXxJackpotxXx
Thanks for the rec, but I have already listened to that cover! I'll take another listen to it though!

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 pm 

Lets see..
- Acid Reign covered Blondie's Hanging on the telephone
- Xentrix covered GosthBuester main theme

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... ED3&page=4

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:03 am 

@gomorro
I'm listening to Acid Reign's cover of "Blondie's Hanging on the Telephone" right now! I've already hear Xentrix's cover of the Ghostbusters theme, but thanks for the rec! I'll make sure to check it out again! And thanks a lot for that YouTube link! I'll have tonnes of new covers to check out! Thanks again!

MetalMarco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:27 pm 

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next