Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:19 am 

I suppose what I'm looking for is blackened doom. I want the guitars tuned low with really heavy riffs and really tortured vocals. Like the less drone-y parts of the Burning Witch material, but without the clean vocals. Which I guess is pretty much just parts of one track: "Sacred Predictions" (you know the "fast" riff I'm talking about). If it has faster tremolo and/or chugging parts sprinkled around that would be excellent. All of the blackened doom I keep hearing is either drone doomish with black metal vocals or basically slow/depressing black metal; I'm looking for a more even mix of the styles. Oh, and the less blastbeats the better.

blacknumenorean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:06 am 

Check out:

Bethlehem - Dark Metal
doc of the band wore hyperblats blatsbeats were either faster than normal? The Ultimate Incantation album on the music final massacre in the 1.52 to 2.18 blatsbeats seem to be faster than the constant music blastbeat

My Band
www.myspace.com/vanekmetal

Narath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 am 

Would Nortt be too droney or doomy to fit your specifications? I've only got two albums and while I find them great, they might be a bit too slow for what you're looking for (particularly Galgenfrist).

~Guest 180699
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:36 am 

The first Dolorian album

Forgotten Tomb- Springtime Depression (although Songs to Leave is FT's best album imo but Springtime depression fits more what youre describing)

Carpathian Full Moon

Beatrik- Requiem For December

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 pm 

Guitars tuned low?
In black metal?

Good luck with that...

TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm 

Dunno if it's what you're seeking, but try Elysian Blaze.

Soulofsteel820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:27 pm 

What you're describing is pretty much the music my friend and I have been recording the past few weeks, but with also some ambient bits interspersed. Once we complete something I'll post it on the forums.

Zebs3619
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:14 pm 

Thy Light
Coldworld
Make a Change...Kill Yourself

they are all with the DSBM stuff, and pretty doomy.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:31 am 

HowDisgusting wrote:
Guitars tuned low?
In black metal?

Good luck with that...

I know, right? It was worth a shot. I'm checking out the recommendations right now. Thanks guys!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:55 am 

Goddamn I am picky. That, or maybe I'm just not describing what I'm looking for well enough. Here's my nitpicking:

Bethlehem - Guitar tone too thin and the riffs too...heavy metal.
Nortt - Definitely too ambient/drone-ish. I want riffs, man, not drones!
Dolorian - Too symphonic and keyboard-heavy. I don't really want keyboards.
Forgotten Tomb - (I like this one a lot, by the way, but not what I'm looking for here) - too melodic and DSBM-ish. I want angrier riffs!
Carpathian Full Moon - Also good but misses the mark. Too folky/melodic.
Beatrik - See Forgotten Tomb. Good, but in a Gris kind of way and not really what I'm looking for here.
Elysian Blaze - Cool stuff. Digging the DSBM traditionalism + noise tendencies. But....nope.
Zebs - Not really looking for DSBM with that thin guitar tone.

Hmm...let me try to offer more description...like a faster more, um, organized Khanate. With tremolo and chugging sometimes. And those thick, bass-heavy downtuned guitars. And no blasting. And plenty of double bass and toms, if you can manage. But keep those tortured screams. I'm thinking the slower riffs would sound like that one riff, at about 0:43 of "Sacred Predictions": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRcNJToCIl4&feature=related and the faster bits would be something like, I dunno, Here In After era Immolation but less techy? I really don't know if such a thing even exists but if it did, it would be awesome.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:45 am 

Check out Norway's Abysmal. The debut is a near perfect amalgamation of black and doom with the dark, evil melodic sense of the former, and the heaviness and girth of the latter. Incredibly organic atmosphere too.

~Guest 180699
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:56 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Goddamn I am picky. That, or maybe I'm just not describing what I'm looking for well enough. Here's my nitpicking:

Hmm...let me try to offer more description...like a faster more, um, organized Khanate. With tremolo and chugging sometimes. And those thick, bass-heavy downtuned guitars. And no blasting. And plenty of double bass and toms, if you can manage. But keep those tortured screams. I'm thinking the slower riffs would sound like that one riff, at about 0:43 of "Sacred Predictions": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRcNJToCIl4&feature=related and the faster bits would be something like, I dunno, Here In After era Immolation but less techy? I really don't know if such a thing even exists but if it did, it would be awesome.

check out the new NightBringer "Death and the Black Work"

also some of the slower Nyktalgia songs are similar to that description...maybe even old Barathrum or Lycanthropy's Spell

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:07 am 

Something like early Unholy perhaps? Or what about Dragged Into Sunlight, they've got lots of "angry" riffs and no keyboards, but the vocals might not fit.
Try Void of Silence's first album too.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:42 am 

Getting warmer!

Abysmal - Cool. The riffs are pretty close to what I'm looking for. I only wish the guitar tone wasn't so thin. The vocals are good as well but I want them more screechy.
Nightbringer - Still too DSBM-ish.
Nyktalgia - Ditto.
Unholy - Kind of similar to Abysmal. Cool riffs, if a bit slow, and the guitar tone is still too thin.
Dragged Into Sunlight - HOLY FUCK. Fucking awesome. I'm tempted to just stop here because, well damn. Awesome. Not exactly what I was looking for but I'm not even sure I want to listen to what I was looking for in the first place more than I want to listen to this. I could do without the pig squeals that pop up from time to time but the regular death grunts are ok and the screams are awesome.
Void of Silence - Hmm too keyboardy/symphonic.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:50 am 

Hmmm....it seems like Dragged Into Sunlight don't have any official releases out yet. That Hatred for Mankind full-length doesn't seem to be out yet, according to both the band's myspace and Mordgrimm's myspace. Crap. Well, I can't wait for it to actually come out!

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 am 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Check out Norway's Abysmal. The debut is a near perfect amalgamation of black and doom with the dark, evil melodic sense of the former, and the heaviness and girth of the latter. Incredibly organic atmosphere too.

This. A totally (and unjustly) forgotten gem from the past.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:29 am 

Perhaps try something straddling the death/doom/black line? Try out Necro Schizma. Heck, even if they don't fit what you want, they rule anyway. :D

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:56 am 

They COULD rule if they had some production and a little bit more variation to begin with.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:40 am 

Nah, the lack of production is killer, the raw sound suits the band. I do agree on the lack of variation though, they basically have one great song, played eight times over. :)

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am 

When I say "some production" I usually mean either VON's demos or "Embrace The Death" by Asphyx. :P

But yeah, listening to "Erupted Evil" without making pauses between the tracks can get pretty tiring.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:46 am 

Would Woebegone Obscured be worth a look? Very interesting conception that blends black and doom, with death elements (as well as an eerie funeral doom sound). Its akin to Disembowelment, in some ways, to me. It has tortured vocals, though they're both clean and harsh, but mostly harsh. It has faster sections sprinkled around the place, but not over-used. Worth a shot.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:23 pm 

Souldust? (I think they are known as Ghast now)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 am 

Woebegone Obscured were good but too funerally. Good stuff if I'm in the mood for good funeral doom with some black metal elements but I was looking more for the sludgier side of doom rather than the ethereal funeral doom side.

Ghast are pretty close to what I'm looking for. It could use some improvement in some key areas (namely songwriting) but this is good stuff. Thanks again!

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:54 pm 

Maybe Graves at Sea? Great sludgy/doomy riffs with tortured screeches and the like. They should fit your description, no drones but nice heavy riffs all around. I've been looking for more of this myself.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am 

YES! Missing the faster element I was looking for but this nails the black/doom combination I was looking for on the head. Thanks a million!

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
YES! Missing the faster element I was looking for but this nails the black/doom combination I was looking for on the head. Thanks a million!

No problem. I've been looking for more like them as well, there just seem to be so few bands like that. Burning Witch is pretty old by now, you'd think there'd be at least a few clones or similar bands, but it just doesn't seem like it.

Not trying to whore it or anything, but you might enjoy my project, link in my sig. I'm going for a similar sound, but with a bit of folk influence here and there. New demo coming soon, it'll be much better than the songs posted (I know everyone says this of their band, but I really feel the new songs are better.). It doesn't have any really fast parts, a song on the new demo will probably be more up-tempo though. Check out the second song first.

ChronoSphere666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:12 pm 

I can't really think of anything specifically related to what you're asking for. Maybe try Anhedonia (Sweden). But I think they may be too slow...

In any case, although they do not fit the description very well, you should try Thorns (Norway) and Void (UK). The guitar work is insane.
Facebook

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:15 pm 

whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA
WHY HAS NO ONE SAID FLESHPRESS YET?

Here's a little medely of the whole album, a good taste test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF8iCG8lpvY

Darkthrone meets Eyehategod, this is something i thought about for years, fapin' relentlessly. when i found out about them the fappin' only increased. mid to later stuff gets blacker, but also a bit more droney. Earlier stuff is more true to the term "sludge" but always incorporates the bm vocals.

Mikko (vocals of DSO, Clandestine Blaze, aka man of 4,000 bands) drums for Fleshpress and is amazing.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:48 am 

Maybe you would like Sunn O))))

Probaby a bit too droney, but it's good relaxing music. Low guitars, black vocals.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:44 am 

Who hasn't heard Sunn O)))?

Much, much too drone-y. Well, too drone-y for this thread, but not too drone-y in general.

I've been listening to some Fleshpress and so far I'm impressed. Thanks!

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:27 am 

How about Ghast?

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=94609

Reply to topic