Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:18 pm 

Ages ago I did (or rather, started) a four part series of metal with female vocals that:
a) didn't suck massive balls
b) actually fit with the music

I did The Gathering, Thorr's Hammer and some random Australian gothic metal band. Anyway, I never finished it, and am keen on finding that elusive fourth band with tolerable- nay, actually complimentary- female vocals over metal songs.

General pointers:
- No Arch Enemy
- No Nightwish/After Forever/Epica horribleness
- No folk metal
- Harsh vocals are ok, but I prefer my vocals to be clean in general, so while some death metal recs will go down fine I will look upon some doom/gothic/heavy metal recs with more fondness.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:24 pm 

To-Mera is the only answer!

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:27 pm 

Distorted (Isr)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:22 am 

Fucking Crystal Viper, the first album is mandatory for Heavy Metal fans.

And I'll also throw in Delain's debut Silent Lucidity. Whereas the second album takes on a more commercial approach, Silent Lucidity is very complex and layered, with subtle hooks and songs that grow on you over time. You might like them.

Sir_Lucario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:26 am 

Funeral's "Tragedies" might be of interest. There are some male growls in it, but it's mostly clean, female vocals. They're funeral doom.

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:47 am 

Messiah Force!

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1909

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:48 am 

If you're looking for Gothic metal (with some black metal in the mix) you may like Siebenbürgen: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1407

Grimjaur, Delictum and Darker Designs & Images are the three best albums. The vocals aren't exclusively done by the female singer, she's more of a complement to the rest of the music. She does great cleans while the main vocalist does the usual gothic/melodic BM stuff (I know what you're thinking, but this is nothing like Dimmu Borgir/CoF).

Here's the title track from the Grimjaur album (more on the BM side than the two other albums): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7UCR7j6 ... re=related

Nehbandani
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:05 am 

Astarte - All female black metal

Benevolentbob
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:49 am 

Saros and Gallhammer are two female fronted bands I enjoy.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:26 am 

Megadeth!

But seriously, Caspian. I'd immediately recommend Acrostichon and of course a band like Znowhite, but you said no harsh vocals... ;)

A recent act standing out a lot is Battle Of Mice. The combination of sludgy doom with vocals ranging from girlie to a sort of maniac woman is quite unique and more important: has an excellent atmosphere!

Furthermore I really like Diablo Swing Orchestra and Stolen Babies

KiwiPhoenix777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:29 am 

Empyreal wrote:
And I'll also throw in Delain's debut Silent Lucidity. Whereas the second album takes on a more commercial approach, Silent Lucidity is very complex and layered, with subtle hooks and songs that grow on you over time. You might like them.

Its just called Lucidity.

If you have an aversion to opera vocals I would suggest the following:
Xandria: India or Salome - The Seventh Veil. Sort of soft symphonic/melodic metal, though there are some decent riffs.
Sirenia: The 13th Floor. Good gothic metal but somewhat popish.
Edenbridge: My Earth Dream. Their best album by far, its essentially symphonic power metal. The singers voice fits in pretty well with the grandiose style of music.

Probably the same place that spawned AIDS and Dani Filth.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:54 am 

morbert wrote:
Megadeth!

But seriously, Caspian. I'd immediately recommend Acrostichon and of course a band like Znowhite, but you said no harsh vocals... ;)

A recent act standing out a lot is Battle Of Mice. The combination of sludgy doom with vocals ranging from girlie to a sort of maniac woman is quite unique and more important: has an excellent atmosphere!

Battle of Mice has a unique problem; it's not let down by the singer, but by the rest of the band! Certainly something you rarely see in metal. I'd say that's the same with Stolen babies, too. DsO are pretty solid, too.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:35 am 

Holy Moses (GER), she (Sabina) can thrash with the best of them and is at it from 81!

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:09 am 

caspian wrote:
morbert wrote:
Megadeth!

Battle of Mice has a unique problem; it's not let down by the singer, but by the rest of the band! Certainly something you rarely see in metal. I'd say that's the same with Stolen babies, too. DsO are pretty solid, too.

Yeah, I just read your review. Should've done that before I blindly advised the band. Good review but, obviously, I totally disagree. I think it's genius. But, to each his own.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:15 am 

HOLY. FUCKING. MOSES.

[/thread]

Also, you might be interested in hearing Benedictum, Crystal Viper, Original Sin, Warlock and a ton of other heavy/speed/power metal bands.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:27 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
HOLY. FUCKING. MOSES.[/thread]

let's get this over with quickly then... thrashing chicks
- Nicole Lee (Znöwhite - Act of God). Seriously much better than Detente, Sentinel Beast and such...
- Amanda Kiernan (The Order of Chaos (Can)). Great vocals but their music is getting worse (more 'hip') from what I've heard from their upcoming debutalbum... It's about bloody time a good band confiscates this girl!

Immortalon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 am 

Tristania - Widow's Weeds

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:18 am 

Nuclear Death is a must, assuming that you haven't heard them already (which is possible). The vocals are certainly not clean, but they are just fucking wild (as is the music). Last two albums are rather... different, but Nuclear Death's first full length is a solid slab of atomic madness that gives SadEx a run for their money in terms of wacky extremeness.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

BBR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:22 am 

Apparently Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult's vocalist/guitarist(?) is female. I didn't know that. Neat band, check them out if you haven't already.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:17 am 

Snowgrave wrote:

Ugh, no way man. I've tried to sit through their latest album and her voice was one of the main things that made me stopped. I mean she's not Nightwish-bad, but her voice becomes shrill and weak when she reaches higher registers.

Oh and this thread will never be complete without the mention of Merlin. Seriously, this woman's growls makes Barnes looks like weeping schoolgirl in comparison.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:19 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Ugh, no way man. I've tried to sit through their latest album and her voice was one of the main things that made me stopped.

well, you should've listened to their debut then. Much better, really.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 am 

morbert wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:
HOLY. FUCKING. MOSES.[/thread]

let's get this over with quickly then... thrashing chicks
- Nicole Lee (Znöwhite - Act of God). Seriously much better than Detente, Sentinel Beast and such...
- Amanda Kiernan (The Order of Chaos (Can)). Great vocals but their music is getting worse (more 'hip') from what I've heard from their upcoming debutalbum... It's about bloody time a good band confiscates this girl!

How 'bout some Acid? ;)

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:31 am 

From Belgium? Funny, enjoyable and very horns-up-old school but let's be honest, pretty second rate

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 am 

morbert wrote:
Rippingheadache wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Ugh, no way man. I've tried to sit through their latest album and her voice was one of the main things that made me stopped.

well, you should've listened to their debut then. Much better, really.

Yeah, I have. I personally like their debut more, but I still can't grasp their vocalist. And speaking of To-mera, they're a decent band. I really wished they focus more on the jazzier/polyrythmic aspects, though..

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:34 am 

morbert wrote:
From Belgium? Funny, enjoyable and very horns-up-old school but let's be honest, pretty second rate

Yeah, from Belgium. You have to admit they were one of the pioneering bands in the (sub)genre, however.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 am 

Nobody mentioned Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.) of Detente and Fear of God.

Yes it is the real Goat.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:51 am 

brightfield wrote:
Nobody mentioned Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.) of Detente and Fear of God.

Yes I did... when I said Znowhite were better

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 am 

Perhaps Marenne?

They are rather catchy, have some good guitar work, and the vocals aren't of the quasi-operatic type you want to avoid like the plague.

Although there's a good chance you'd hate it. Just don't let the symphonic part fool you into thinking it is some sort of Nightwish-clone stuff.

RobotGigante
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:39 pm 

No love for Girlschool?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:58 pm 

Try Sacrilege, the UK band. Their first album is awesome crust/thrash stuff. The vocalist isn't really that great (just shouts with a thick English accent all the way through the album, and doesn't have much power) but the riffs and feeling on there rule quite a lot. They went kind of doom metal on the third album and she started singing more melodically, but I didn't like that one too much.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:32 pm 

Also, you might wan't to check out a rather obsucre norweigan gothic metal band by the name of Shellyz Raven (gah!!!!). They happen to be the only Gothic Metal band (aside from The Gathering and a select few bearable Type O Negative songs) that I can stomach and they do make a rather good, non-keyboard heavy doomy gothic metal racket sort of comparable (in the vaguest sense possible) to what The Gathering were doing around the time of Mandylion.

Abominatrix wrote:
Try Sacrilege, the UK band. Their first album is awesome crust/thrash stuff. The vocalist isn't really that great (just shouts with a thick English accent all the way through the album, and doesn't have much power) but the riffs and feeling on there rule quite a lot. They went kind of doom metal on the third album and she started singing more melodically, but I didn't like that one too much.

Well, I like em :p

I feel like an idiot for mentioning Nuclear Death and forgetting Sacrilege. Yeah, it's crust-heavy thrash (at least on the first album). The debut LP (I keep remembering it as There's Something about Mordor for some odd reason) is certainly one of my favorite crust type thingies.

And, if you like Sacrilege, then check out After The Bombs. AtB=Sacrilege+Canada
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:46 pm 

Megace's Human Errors, for some Holy Moses meets Watchtower tech-thrash. About 4:1::clean:harsh vocals.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 pm 

Early Warlock obviously.

And if you like that vocal style, for some kickass obscure speed/thrash you can't go wrong with Wardance.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:12 pm 

Serpentcult are worth a shot. Groove intermingled with doom with superb clean female vocals over the top. The contrast is actually amazing.

Morning are decent enough. Inspired partly by The Gathering, but are tagged as atmospheric progressive metal with clean female vocals. 'Moments of Truth' is the best effort.

Wisdom & Arrogance by Joyless is an oddball, but so intoxicating, it gets better over time, with multiple listens. A lot different to your average band and as far from the debut as possible.

The River are fantastic. Don't be put off by the fact that they're associated to Warning, a band I remember you disliking - they're much different. Clean female vocals which are softly displayed over the doom laden distortion.

Mourn are an obscure doom metal band from England - clean vocals, once again, from a woman who went on to be a "pop star".

Angtoria have a good reputation and have a well respected female vocalist at the front - Sarah Jezebel Deva.

Brave are immense. Brilliant female vocals and are accompanied by superb violins.

The Sins of Thy Beloved are decent too. 'Lake of Sorrow', despite the poor use of English in the lyrics, is good instrumentally (probably need to re-review it). Dark and contains male/female vocal contributions.

Relic Dances by Silent Stream of Godless Elegy is an absolute must. I know you said no folk, but its more doom than folk.

Waldheim
Lethian Dreams
Bloody Panda

If I think of any more, I'll be back! (Sorry if any have been mentioned/you have them already).

Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:14 pm 

The_Kreator wrote:

Cheers mate, female fronted Agent Steel worship! Also check out bands like Black Knight, Acid (BEL), Crystal Viper, Satanic Rites (UK), Crystal Pride, Ice Age (Sweden), etc.

Your name is quite familiar though :p.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:42 am 

You'll surely find pleasure with Darkestrah. Epos's a masterpiece :wink:

And about Astarte, I think they're mentioned in every female-fronted related thread just because it's a full female blackmetal band. Their music isn't something outstanding. caspian, you can give a shot to their older albums though, because the newest one is an absolute suckage.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:51 am 

DenialFiend wrote:
And about Astarte, I think they're mentioned in every female-fronted related thread just because it's a full female blackmetal band. Their music isn't something outstanding. caspian, you can give a shot to their older albums though, because the newest one is an absolute suckage.

Actually, I found their debut to be quite good. Rise from Within is only slightly worse, but both are exponentially better than their newer stuff.

What are your thoughts on genuine gothic metal, Caspian? Early Theatre of Tragedy, basically everything up to Aegis, is remarkable. Liv Kristine's voice is a perfect fit with the music. I wouldn't recommend the other bands she's been in though, as after she left her voice took on a style similar to those bands you expressed a clear dislike of.

This one might be skirting closer to the symphonic trio you mentioned, but Midnattsol is worth checking out as well. Now I know you'll see the styles listed as gothic / folk on the MA page, but the folk bit was limited exclusively to their first album. Their second, Nordlys, while a drastic improvement over the first, is devoid of any tangible trace of folk. Instead it's a more straightforward approach to the symphonic style. I also happen to enjoy Carmen's voice; she has a rather unique accent to it.

I've gotta agree with the people reccing Warlock. Doro is an amazing vocalist. I'm very surprised to see Crystal Viper mentioned as well; that's a definite must-have.

caspian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:20 am 

Regarding pure goth: I don't really have any sort of major opinion on it, because the few semi gothic-y things i do listen normally have a sizeable doom influence. I can't see myself loving the genre but I doubt it's hugely awful.

..And thanks for the recs, everyone. Thus far I've only actually downloaded Funeral and the new Gathering (not that that really counts) but they've both been so good that I'm just stuck on them for a while. Funeral do some damn solid funeral doom, that's for sure.

~Guest 190475
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:47 pm 

Holy Moses maybe the best female fronted metal band ever!

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:21 pm 

Mulu wrote:
Holy Moses maybe the best female fronted metal band ever!

No maybes, it is!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next